The Long Kiss Goodnight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Long Kiss Goodnight Reviews

½ November 14, 2016
Great film. really enjoyable. enjoyed every bit of this. one of the best action films I have seen
½ September 21, 2016
Awesome movie! Terrific chemistry between Samuel Jackson and Gena Davis! Amazing action scenes with subtle comedic lines somewhat comparable to Schwarzenegger in True Lies. Go see it!
August 29, 2016
Another movie I haven't seen in 20 years.
August 23, 2016
Havde lige et herligt gensyn med denne actionperle af Shane Black og Renny Harlin med Geena Davis som kvindelig Jason Bourne, der forpurrer en false flag-operation maskeret som arabisk terrorist-angreb. Man kan godt få den tanke, at "nogen" fik ideen til 9/11 her.
½ April 26, 2016
The story in The Long Kiss Goodnight takes a decent amount of time to get going, but once Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson get teamed up and memories start to return, I start to really enjoy this action movie. It has a lot of the hallmarks of a great action blockbuster including lots of gunshots and explosions, a risk of torture and death for the heroes, and genuine emotional stakes. I struggle for part of the film with those emotions because Geena Davis plays the personality of Charly so cold and unfeeling that I wonder if she actually cares. Later in the film they hook me again and I buy it, but there is a period where I struggled with seeing Charly as the protagonist at all.

The casting of this film is spectacular. Geena Davis is convincing as both the sweet homemaker, and the psychotic assassin. Samuel L. Jackson gets to do what he excels at...losing his temper! When he breaks into a rant and starts dropping F-bombs you just know he's having a good time. Brian Cox should play every single government handler in movies because he is absolutely born for that role. You can trust him and want to put your life in his hands in one scene, and then question him and run away in the next. Plus his deep-voiced line delivery adds so much gravitas to the proceedings. David Morse is excellent as a weaselly villain, and Craig Bierko compliments him well as the charming but deadly assassin he employs. I have almost no complaints throughout the entire cast list, except perhaps Yvonne Zima who isn't exactly the best child actor.

The big struggle I have with this movie is the effects. This is late 90s CGI at its worst! What made so many of the 80s action films so great was how authentic the violence seemed. Between the squibs and the controlled explosions you felt like there was real danger and death all around the heroes. The Long Kiss Goodnight sadly includes a lot of digital effects that are painful to watch. There are tons of them that look completely artificial to the point that it was distracting. There are scenes with intensity in this movie when 2 characters are face-to-face, but the big action set pieces strangely reduce the tension because I don't believe the characters are really going to get killed or even burnt because the explosions and fire so clearly aren't there. Luckily the story is strong enough to get me through the lame moments, and still enjoy the film. It's a solid 90s action romp, and one I'd recommend if you can ignore some really garbage visual effects.
April 16, 2016
Great movie why can't I find it anywhere
April 7, 2016
Meh. Geena Davis felt unconvincing, and Samuel L. Jackson plays the same Samuel L. Jackson you see in every role. I'd never watch this again, it's almost the kind of movie that makes you feel like you're getting stupider while watching it. And the plot devices are way too obvious.
½ April 6, 2016
Great writer, great cast, not so great director.
½ December 22, 2015
This is one of the great action films of the 90s and one that is often forgotten. Geena Davis is kick-ass in this. When revisiting, it suffers a little from cliche dialogue and bad guys but otherwise, it's a solid little thing.
December 21, 2015
Enjoyable action film thanks to two great lead performances & a sharp script by Shane Black. Geena Davis gives a credible action performance, nicely switching between happy school teacher & deadly assassin seamlessly (the scene where she asks her daughter if they should get a dog before setting off a bomb is adorable). Jackson is equally excellent and gives a more nuanced performance than his usual fare, as he is the weaker of the two characters & often the one that needs saving. Craig Beirko is also nicely sinister as the main villain, Timothy. Behind the camera, Renny Harlin crafts some nice, violent visuals though not very dynamic (a problem with many of his films). The real selling point is Shane Black's superb script, which while has it's share of plot holes (a major event happens just when Charlie regains her memory) the dialogue & humor is as sharp as they come, and rivals even the best Tarantino puts out. Overall, a solid action film and since it takes place during Christmas, a nice addition to the holiday movie rotation.
December 4, 2015
What can I say? This is my most favorite movie of all time. OMG people. You have to agree. It was a BAD BAD BAD film. Big Up to the makers of this movie.
½ October 26, 2015
Good old action movie.
½ October 2, 2015
This is the female Jason Bourne, 6 years before! Assassin has amnesia, then "wakes up" with some crazy effective killing skills! It's a good action flick, and Geena Davis is gorgeous, reminding me why I had a crush on her all those years ago. Turns out, I still do!
½ September 6, 2015
still havent seen the end, its not great
July 26, 2015
Fabulously exciting!
June 29, 2015
saw it few times. nice evening movie to see time after time
½ May 12, 2015
The Long Kiss Goodnight is an exciting and slightly hectic action movie with all the bullets going convenient to the plot but Geena Davis does a great job taking the usual male lead of the top government assassin who suffers from amnesia.
May 1, 2015
Davis is real good and for most of the time so is the film till it runs aground at the end.
April 29, 2015
Er, it was entertaining. That's all I have to say.
March 5, 2015
A middle of the road action movie which would have received a much higher grade if it contained a believable story. The action is not constant, but when it moves it is better than average. The problem is it is so frenetic you just shake your head in wonder and know it only goes down this way because the filmmakers wanted a happy ending. As a result, the story loses all credibility.