The Longest Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Longest Day Reviews

July 30, 2017
Probably never witnessed a docudrama in the war genre to be epic as it is by a stunning scale and actual captivating war action that were well-crafted as well reaching for a new height that seems to match the contemporary style, which is enough to outweigh the seemingly aimless direction that would only get picked by non-converts of the war genre's general narrative, even if it lives up to the title. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
½ May 15, 2017
The Longest Day is a massive historical drama that tells the story of D-Day. It starts with some build-up which is extensive and loaded with different characters. We are bounced around so frequently, that after awhile I barely even read the names on the screen because I knew I?d never remember any of them. In many ways that first act felt like an actual history lesson where we are expected to memorize dozens of notable names, titles, and other information because we?ll be quizzed on it later. I observed the accent and the uniform to figure out whose side they were on and figured that was enough for me to get by. Once the actual battle starts it is almost non-stop war sequences. There are a few breaks where we are sent back to the command posts to find out what?s going on with the high-ranking officials, but then it?s back into the trenches. The scope of some of these battle scenes is quite impressive. There were a number of brilliantly executed shots, and I always felt like I knew who was on what side in any given battle sequence. The Longest Day also includes a host of famous actors who I recognized, even if I didn?t know who they were playing. Unfortunately, with such a massive host of characters, I wasn?t able to connect with any of them, unless I happened to recognize the actor as someone I like. So Richard Burton?s scene is a little more poignant, not because of the way it is told, but just because I think he?s a superb actor. A little more focus on smaller details, and a little less emphasis on the grand scope would have helped this film a lot. As it stands, I find it to be just an average war film without much to say.
April 11, 2017
While it features impressive sets and battle sequences there are too many characters and stories going on to get too engrossed in any singular event. Still an impressive and classic war film that is worth a watch for fans of the genre.
½ March 12, 2017
One of the best war movies ever! A bit long but as the name suggests that day was long. A huge star cast and real-life/real place shots. The French attack of Quistreham scene was superbly shot. A must watch for war movie lovers.
½ February 12, 2017
Featuring an all-star cast, this is one of the best war movies commited to celluloid. Particularly memorable are the action sequences and the dramatic long camera shots that reveal the extent of the fighting.
May 27, 2016
good but it just goes on and on
½ May 4, 2016
The Longest Day is one of the most epic and unbelievably expensive looking war films I've ever seen. The black and white cinematography looks great, and the battle scenes are truly stunning. The film was one of the most real-feeling WWII films I've seen (despite the total lack of blood) due to the screenplay's exacting dedication to showing what preparations were made for the battle, and all the flubs and mistakes made that changed the course of the day. We all know how things ended up, but it was interesting to see what plans were being made on all sides and how each one panned out. The performances are well done, although there is not any stand outs since you generally never focus on one character for very long. My only complaint about this film is one of its strengths, that while we do get to see all sorts of characters and sides of the battle it makes it hard to latch on to any characters. I felt that even considering all the material they had to pack in that it certainly could have been cut down by about half an hour. This is by far one of the most impressive war films you could ever see, and it will give you a new sense of appreciation and gratitude for the astonishing courage these men had on that day.
March 31, 2016
An epic, but a little too epic.
March 26, 2016
The Longest Day (1962) ????
An unique masterpiece, focusing on three sides (American, Britain, and Germany) during the invasion of Normandy in WWII. Epic-scale war saga; arty and unforgettable, with an all-star cast, staggering battle scenes and Oscar-winning Special Effects throughout. Look for Sean Connery as a British soldier. Photography also won an Oscar. One of the greatest war pictures of all-time. Catch this one!
March 10, 2016
Amazing movie. Great acting, great action, great story, and just a fantastic movie. It was well-directed and well-made. It definitely remains as good as it was back in the day.
January 3, 2016
I like saving private ryan a lot better and it goes over dday as well. This movie shows not just the american side, but other countries involved as well-it's main strength.however, it was slow and at parts confusing with military jargon and not much dialogue, it wasn't very emotionally touching. I liked the little bit of humor tho and characters. Back in the day Im sure it was groundbreaking with the huge sets/casts and accuracy to history- and even i was impressed by some of the cameos, but by today's standards it was a bit lackluster. Some neat facts-we used dummies, had to improvise dynamite, attacked in horrible weather, attacked from part longest away from england. Scary to think Nazis occupied and controlled half of Europe for 4 years before the invasion! Also no one wanted to wake up hitler to tell him what was going on.
December 12, 2015
The production is great and there is plenty of star power, but the Longest Day is the longest, driest and most boring movie about war ever. They talk for almost two hours before the battle actually begins.
December 10, 2015
The Longest Day (1962), directed by Darryl Zanuck is the forerunner of the big-budget war movie, with one of the largest, most star-studded casts ever assembled, including John Wayne, Sean Connery, Richard Burton, Red Buttons, Paul Anka, and Eddie Albert, to name just a few of the forty cast members.

What makes The Longest Day significant is how it became a model for the war movies that followed, such as Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, and even 2015's critically-acclaimed Fury, but what makes this film great is its attention to history. The film details events leading up to the capture of a key German-held bridge during WWII, dubbed by the British as "Pegasus Bridge." The assault is led by Richard Todd's Major John Howard, a man who actually had fought at the Battle of Pegasus Bridge. Also, the film shows French Resistance fighters being air dropped into Normandy, three days before the famous American landing on D-Day, a historically correct and significant event that is often forgotten and not widely known, as well as a depiction of the scaling of the sea cliffs at Pointe Du Hoc at Normandy by Joseph Lowe who, 17 years earlier, had scaled the same cliffs as a member of 505th Army Division.

While this film was probably spectacular by the standards of 1962, the grandeur of the spectacle will not disappoint modern audiences. The battle scenes in this movie are fantastic for their time; the film used an actual army division as stand-ins for the Omaha Beach landing, as well as two working and historically accurate battleships: the Springfield and the Little Rock. The amount of explosions in this movie make it impressive even by today's standards, but with a movie budget of 7.4 million ($57,920,293.33 in 2015 dollars), they sure could afford it. This movie was the most expensive black and white movie made until 1993, and I'd say they budgeted very well; there was a lot put into this movie and it shows.

This movie is a must see to any history buff or war movie lover.
November 25, 2015
Terrifically-choreographed war scenes, especially the urban battle about 2 1/2 hours in, which is shot from above. It's a completely engrossing project that gives screen time to a respectable amount of international forces.
½ July 4, 2015
Mammoth movie in every sense but suffers from too many tongue in cheek scenes.
June 15, 2015
When you land in Normandy, you will only have one friend...God.

Three generals are approaching Normandy on D-Day during World War II. We watch as both the Allie and German's prepare for the invasion. The Allies are coming in from both land, water, and air and the aerial attack should just overshoot the Germans and catch them in an unanticipated crossfire. The aerial team is having a hard time practicing their jumps and has concerns about the ability to be successful on their mission. If the airborne unit isn't successful, the entire mission and war may be lost. Can they make it work or will the German's prevail?

"Only two types of people are going to stay on this beach, those that are already dead and those that are about to die."

There were five directors that collaborated to delivers this almost three hour war epic. The storyline is very compelling as was the characters. The script was well done and the picture was delivered with the right amount of grit. The action scenes were also intense and fairly well done for the time. The acting was first rate and the cast includes John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Richard Burton, Sean Connery, Red Buttons, Roddy McDowall, and Robert Mitchum.

"Beyond that peaceful horizon a monster awaits."

I came across this picture on Netflix and had to add this classic to my queue. The cast was unbelievable and the intensity and action was well done. I am not a huge war genre fan but this was well written and I enjoyed the characters. This is worth a viewing despite being almost three hours.

"There are a lot of very peculiar blokes on this beach."

Grade: B
½ May 24, 2015
The original screenplay ended on a yet darker note that Zanuck later regretted excising: a sobbing soldier amid the carnage on the shore. Though the film makes a few egregious historical changes for dramatic effect, The Longest Day pretty much lives and dies by its scale. The sheer number of characters, while allowing an impressive breadth, reduces the drama to snippets. But the combination of choreography and photography (as well as the Oscar-nominated editing) can be simply stunning, as in the long, low-flying helicopter shots devised by Annakin to capture troop movements. Those recreations, which set a high standard for WWII action not fully eclipsed until Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan, are the film's enduring achievement.
½ May 14, 2015
Epic reconstruction of the d-day landings with an endless list of stars of classic cinema popping up here and there. This is almost a masterpiece which really gives you a sense of what it must have been like. The fact that there were scenes in multiple languages surprised me, I like this disregard for the rules in such an early film. There really are not many better war films than this.
May 4, 2015
Hard To Argue With The Classics.
April 15, 2015
Le premier film qui montra le d (C)barquement de Normandie , il fesait r (C)f (C)rence jusqu'au "Saving Private Ryan" de Steven Spielberg ...