Looper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Looper Reviews

May 25, 2018
Rian Johnson best known for destroying the Star Wars franchise with the most terrible movie in decades.
May 19, 2018
This futuristic action thriller blends an original and brilliant time traveling narrative with engaging performances from Willis, Gordon-Levitt, and Blunt, that all leads to a thought-provoking final showdown.
½ May 17, 2018
If you've seen a lot of Bruce Willis films you can really appreciate Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance in Looper. The movie has a very interesting premise and story, but some scenes just slowed this action thriller down too many times.
May 12, 2018
Emily Blunt is terrific on her farm.
May 4, 2018
I DIDN'T CARE FOR IT TO BE HONEST
½ May 3, 2018
This is an enjoyable movie. It has a very interesting premise, good performances, great action, and very fleshed out characters. I do think that the first 30 minutes of this movie is not very good compared to the middle portions. The main thing that I do not like about this movie is the ending, it feels like Joe could have done a lot both throughout the movie and at that moment to stop his future self instead of killing himself. I know spoiler alert but this movie came out in 2014 so that's enough time. Other then the ending this is a movie with a very interesting premise and you should check it out especially if you like movies like this one.
April 26, 2018
Utter garbage. No original ideas to be found here... I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from watching this terrible movie. Avoid this and rewatch back to the future. Trust me, you'll have a much better time.
½ April 19, 2018
a little slow-paced but an interesting concept. blending time-travel and telekinesis in one of the best sci-fi films of the last ten years, bruce willis has never looked more one-dimensional. but that's okay, because gordon-levitt is the star and gives a decent performance. if only the concept was developed further - maybe in a sequel - but this will do for an original, smart, mindbending thriller.
April 8, 2018
Watched Feb 26, 2018

Matt Kerr's review published on Letterboxd :
This review may contain spoilers.

I must admit, I'm a sucker for time travel storylines. I always become fascinated with timelines that loop and divert and the consequences that the characters meddling in time has on the story. Part of this, however, is always getting a minor bit of frustration when the final product doesn't add up. Looper delivers by being a highly entertaining, fast paced action flick, which makes up for some of the more... inconvenient potholes. (spoilers below). Either way, like many films of its kind, this film is best when viewed with some friends, and makes for interesting conversation into the aspects of time travel and its effects on determinism.
April 7, 2018
It seems boring at first, but Looper seems to be an action sci-fi classic. The great Emily Blunt delivers a great country performance.
½ March 24, 2018
It really subverted my expectations of having a decent ending. Well done Rian.
½ March 13, 2018
What might seem like a straight up action adventure is overwhelming and kinda lame!
½ March 12, 2018
An absolutely bad movie
March 6, 2018
GREAT MOVIE, worth the watch.
½ March 2, 2018
Joseph Gordon Levitt, Bruce Willis and Jeff Daniels are always watchable when they are on screen. The rest of the actors and the movie as a whole are otherwise pretty forgettable. Pacing is slow and there is surprisingly little action. JGL's makeup to make him look more plausibly like a young Bruce Willis didn't really do the trick and ended up being more distracting than helpful.

The secondary characters outside of Daniels really didn't do much. There were also a couple of head-scratching errors that weren't explained and kind of rendered the whole plot meaningless, but I won't spoil them here.

Not exactly a boring movie, but you'll forget about it 5 minutes after it's over.
½ February 16, 2018
A futuristic sci-fi punk movie that does not rely on visuals or a single performance, as all actors in this play their roles almost to perfection. This film brings out inner conflict that dwells inside us all, that of self-benefit or saving those you love, while not feeling cliche at any point. Joseph Gordon-Levitt brings a massive amount of life to his character, and Bruce Willis does extremely well as the future Gordon-Levitt. It shows that this picture was shot with love, care, and appreciation for the genre, though that is no surprise since Rian Johnson was at the directing helm.
½ February 11, 2018
Bruce Willis does mean and moody well in an ok sci-fi movie, ideas are there, but the stupid BLUE LENS FLARE across actors faces is distracting and disrespectful to the stars and audience alike. I had to watch this film twice for the first 40 minutes as it took away from the storyline wondering if it was a projection/bluray fault.

Aside from that, performances are good but the story messed up with the Dr Who easy "timey wimey" fix, and a few months after seeing it you will struggle to remember what happened.

Waste of the fine cast's talent.
February 11, 2018
A Tale of Two Halves. The first half is sci-fi, quite interesting. Then it seems a new writer was hired because the second half is fantasy, introducing MAGIC CHILD. So then we spend what seems 10 hours at a farm with MAGIC CHILD. Who will turn into the big bad, and is already a petulant shit, with an idiot mother. It's a shame Joseph Gordon-Levitt prevented Bruce Willis from killing MAGIC CHILD.

When this movie comes on the TV I'm excited for the first hour then [I have a poor memory] go "oh wait, this turns into a farm house fantasy movie with MAGIC CHILD...." and change the channel.

Competently directed, well-acted, inexplicably dichotomous plot. And the farm, the crops, shotgun, MAGIC CHILD, boring.
January 19, 2018
Even the worst director can come up with something decent, I guess...
½ January 11, 2018
Another shit film from Rian Johnson. It looks pretty, but what a mess. Cool Bruce Willis is in it? Yeah, he sucks these days too, he should probs retire or move on to old people movies or run for office or whatever washed up actors do these days. Him and Rian are perfect for each other being terrible with movie since the 90s.