Looper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Looper Reviews

½ December 13, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Con un soberbio guión y una absorbente historia, Looper se convierte en un gran exponente de la ciencia ficción del sigo XXI.
December 13, 2017
Finally, a near-futuristic action thriller that at least somewhat engages the mind! Looper looks to be an excellent movie that I, for one, can't wait to see.
Christian Hunter
Austin, TX
½ December 9, 2017
Rian has really impressed me, this movie is actually amazing. I was invested in the world and characters Rian build, which doesn't happen a lot to me with most sci-fi movies.
½ December 4, 2017
"Looper" is by far one of the best sci-fi movies of the last decade. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis are at the top of their game and it's one of the most unique time-travel movies I've ever seen.
½ November 13, 2017
Looper: Looper can't get enough mileage out of its surprising premise. With a drawn out story and action Looper is more of a miss.
½ November 12, 2017
A great thought-provoking and twisty time travel sci-fi. Maybe I'm a little biased in having enjoyed it as much as I did, since it has a lot of things that remind me of the best parts of some of my favourite other films in the same genre: the first two "Terminator" films and "Twelve Monkeys". It's not quite as good as any of those, but this is still highly recommended for anyone who has even a passing like for these sorts of films.
November 2, 2017
Just as thought provoking as it is thrilling to watch unfold, Looper offers a fresh take on a well worn genre while blending sci fi, romance and action to satisfying results. Joseph Gordon Levitt is a very underrated actor and he once again proves his worth in Looper, delivering a grounded, nuanced and decidedly layered performance as the lead character. Bruce Willis is also solid in his respective role as well and the duo are supported by an all around great ensemble cast. Looper offers a fresh take on the stale time travel plot device by offering up the enticing prospect of the showdown of selves and just how little some people can truly change. It also benefits from the fact that instead of indulging too far into its time travel paradoxes by neatly embracing them while asking smart questions that only become more clear as the film unfolds. Although sci fi films such as this could have become too drunk on their own valor, Looper boasts a complex plot but it's near perfect execution allows for easy following. For a genre known for its loose ends, the ending to Looper is very satisfying and neatly cleans the paradoxes presented earlier in the film as they never existed. You can't help but feel as if a bit of missed potential primarily because since the duo spend so much time separate, neither really have the development and chemistry most were probably shooting for. Rian Johnson fully delivers in his third film, injecting plenty of geeky sci fi interest and interesting ideas to make his final product an ingenious, original film. What's surprising though is how well the film manages to balance a surprisingly hefty amount of heart, emotion and thrilling action against the constraints of its sci fi genre, grounding it all in a way that its almost impossible to get lost. The world he builds is very interesting, evoking parallels to our own world while asking interesting questions of what if's and serving as an interesting view of the near future. Some times it does feel as if the film is trying too hard to evoke the same mind numbing feel that films like Inception and Memento offered years earlier while it doesn't quite match those films, Looper happily wears it's thrills on it's sleeves. It's an entertaining and high flying thrill ride, interlaced with originality, intelligence, heart, and the tantalizing proposition that humanity will keep making the same rotten mistakes for the rest of eternity. -
½ October 29, 2017
Really great time travel flick with amazing performances and wonderful cinematography. A must watch
October 17, 2017
This is my favorite movie ever
October 16, 2017
I panned this from the trailer back in 2012, and only watched it now on TV since RJ is directing the last Jedi. I'm bemused at this film being described by so many as 'cerebral'. The pacing is terrible, the attempt at humanizing the script was like watching paint dry, it has a simultaneously drab and goofy aesthetic, and the ending... I wasn't even invested enough to be upset at the predictable, contrived, and ultimately unsatisfying climax that I'm sure Johnson had the whole story stacked on at its inception.

(And while we're at it, that's how you use the word. "Inception" does not mean recursion, despite what that bombastic, nonsensical Nolan film associated it with in the popular lexicon.)
½ October 10, 2017
One of the best, most original sci-fi concepts in a long time. Willis and Gordon-Levitt play the same character with very striking differences, owing to his youth or age. Gordon-Levitt's version of Joe doesn't seem to identify with his older self, nor does it ever sink in that his desires could mesh with those of the older version, so they wind up separated and adversarial, as opposed to teaming up. And the lengths Willis' Joe will go becomes startling from the point that we realize what exactly he's gunning after. Young Joe's ultimate solution is, just like his old version's solutions, innovative and truly begs the question to the audience: How far would you go?
The atmosphere of the film is solid, Emily Blunt and Jeff Daniels are very good, and though they play a little fast and loose with the theories of time travel, the film executes, draws you in, and comes to a terrific ending.
October 6, 2017
Looper (2012) is a suspenseful thriller set 30 years in the future where time-travel exists but it is made illegal, to get rid of people mobs send the person back in time where a looper will kill them and dispose of the body, as technically the body would never exist. The movies stars Bruce Willis who plays the future verison of Joesph Gordon-Levitt's (Inception, The Dark Knight Rises) character, his bosses are deciding to close the loop, which means he would have to kill his future self, however he runs away before he can kill him. The first half of this movie is Willis chasing Joseph's character around and I am glad that this is not what the whole film was as although it was interesting it was going to get old fast. The second half, however, introduces Emily Blunt's character which I thought she did an amazing job of portraying, it really felt like she cared for her kid who has severe problems. This movie has a great ending which I will not spoil, just go watch it and I promise you, you will enjoy it. Rian Johnson did an amazing job with this film and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do with the new Star Wars film coming up. I rate this film 4 stars out of 5.
½ September 28, 2017
The ending ruined it. It became a crappy M. Night Shamalamadingdong movie at that point.
September 21, 2017
Looper takes the time travel theme and does it in an audience-friendly way with a decent amount of action, relatable characters and a very enjoyable story.
½ September 3, 2017
Joseph Gordon Levitt's performance elevates an meh story .
August 26, 2017
Looper doesn't escape the usual paradoxes and plot holes inherent with time travel narratives, but these are easily forgivable with a compelling enough story. Thankfully, Looper mostly delivers with an original twist on time travel. When Joseph's character meets up with his future self at a local restaurant, it makes for some classic cinema. Unfortunately the film starts to sputter during a second act misstep. Once Emily Blunt's character is introduced into the mix, the pacing grinds to a halt and the story starts to lose momentum. Thankfully it picks up again eventually, but a lot of time was sacrificed that could have been better spent on the more interesting dynamic between future and past Joe and the triangular cat and mouse game between them and the syndicate.
August 16, 2017
A really cool spin on the hole time-travel idea, it has some great performances and a cool story.
½ August 13, 2017
Vital for the science fiction genre in its originality, strong leading performances and intricate storyline, but as hard as I tried, I could not stand the kid.
August 6, 2017
Confusing, intriguing, thought provoking, amazing acting, brilliant writing and editing, and overall a great movie.
½ August 1, 2017
When you look past the slightly muddled first act, some ham-fisted dialogue, and most notably the questionable logistics regarding the time travel, Looper becomes a very well rounded movie with a captivating story and interesting characters. Though far from perfect, the positives far outweigh the negatives, most of which are derived from the intricacies of the time travel, and how when pondered for a bit, the pieces do not quite fit together. Aside from that, the well-written story, fantastic characters, and solid performances definitely make this film quite worthy of a watch.