Looper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Looper Reviews

½ September 11, 2017
Looper takes the time travel theme and does it in an audience-friendly way with a decent amount of action, relatable characters and a very enjoyable story.
½ September 3, 2017
Joseph Gordon Levitt's performance elevates an meh story .
August 26, 2017
Looper doesn't escape the usual paradoxes and plot holes inherent with time travel narratives, but these are easily forgivable with a compelling enough story. Thankfully, Looper mostly delivers with an original twist on time travel. When Joseph's character meets up with his future self at a local restaurant, it makes for some classic cinema. Unfortunately the film starts to sputter during a second act misstep. Once Emily Blunt's character is introduced into the mix, the pacing grinds to a halt and the story starts to lose momentum. Thankfully it picks up again eventually, but a lot of time was sacrificed that could have been better spent on the more interesting dynamic between future and past Joe and the triangular cat and mouse game between them and the syndicate.
August 16, 2017
A really cool spin on the hole time-travel idea, it has some great performances and a cool story.
½ August 13, 2017
Vital for the science fiction genre in its originality, strong leading performances and intricate storyline, but as hard as I tried, I could not stand the kid.
August 6, 2017
Confusing, intriguing, thought provoking, amazing acting, brilliant writing and editing, and overall a great movie.
½ August 1, 2017
When you look past the slightly muddled first act, some ham-fisted dialogue, and most notably the questionable logistics regarding the time travel, Looper becomes a very well rounded movie with a captivating story and interesting characters. Though far from perfect, the positives far outweigh the negatives, most of which are derived from the intricacies of the time travel, and how when pondered for a bit, the pieces do not quite fit together. Aside from that, the well-written story, fantastic characters, and solid performances definitely make this film quite worthy of a watch.
½ July 28, 2017
Great Premise, Great Acting, Great Script, but disappointing ending.
½ July 17, 2017
JGL and Emily Blunt work well together. Though Looper isn't the most blazing action film, it does it's thing very well. The story is original, despite the time travel theme, and it has a humane element to it that is more powerful that one would expect.
July 11, 2017
'LOOPER' was directed by Rian Johnson and stars Joseph Gordon- Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt. ?In a future society, time- travel exists, but it's only available to those with the means to pay for it on the black market. When the mob wants to eliminate someone, it sends the target into the past, where a hit man known as a looper lies in wait to finish the job. Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is one such hired gun, and he does his job well -- until the day his bosses decide to "close the loop" and send Joe's future self (Bruce Willis) back in time to be killed.

This movie is not bad. It's not good. It etches more towards good than bad but that doesn't make it good. It's not average. It's not above or below average. I don't know what to label this movie as. Some ideas and concepts presented are intriguing and, given some time to develop, could make an interesting TV series or something of the like. Levitt was fantastic at mimicking Bruce Willis and I commend him for that. Willis was also great and the pair both provided a very interesting and unique performance of the same character. If this movie had been given maybe another 2 weeks in the writing room, I think it would've worked much better. I don't dislike it and I don't like it. I give it a six because it leans more towards the good but that doesn't make it good. That sounds very confusing but it does kind of make sense.

The movie does hold some very interesting concepts which could be explored more with prequels, a sequel or a TV series. But they just had too many new ideas that they had to cram into the run time. This bloats the movie for me by about 30 minutes. They cram in a stupid amount of exposition at the beginning and that really should have been cut entirely, and then sprinkle it throughout the film instead of a tiny 30 minute gap. I think I like the ending but I am unsure of it. More time on the script would have benefited the movie much more I am sure.

As previously stated, Levitt and Willis are both excellent in their joint role as Joe. Emily Blunt was awesome as Sara and shows real, genuine desperation and an urge to care for her child. That kid was creepy as hell but was excellent nonetheless.

It is well shot, lit and edited. No complaints as far as standard scenes go. I do, however, have some complaints surrounding the way action was handled in this movie. Granted it isn't an action movie and thus I don't expect perfection but if you choose to include it, make it watchable.

This movie is hard to recommend. I think I will say you should watch it once, ponder on the interesting questions raised and then never see it again. I see very little(if any) rewatch value and seeing it more than once would probably make my head bleed. That's my recommendation for this film. I'll rate it 6 Creepy A$$ Looking Kids out of 10.
½ July 5, 2017
Looper is for the most part a very good movie. It is well performed, has an interesting premise, a fleshed out world, and is visually very appealing. The only downside is the third act and especially the ending, which breaks the otherwise consistent time travel logic this film sets out. Ultimately this film takes a tonal shift for the worse in its latter half, and I found myself becoming less interested in the film as it slowed, settled down in one location, and pondered an uninteresting moral dilemma.
June 29, 2017
Full-blown crazy, in a good way.
½ June 15, 2017
Brilliant loved this when it came out.
June 13, 2017
Smart, although it handles time travel a little too... flexible than what it should
June 13, 2017
Time travel sci-fi is always a favorite for me since H.G. Wells The Time Machine and Rian Johnson, the writer/director here, proves a worthy successor indeed. Assassins kill the enemies of the top local gang until their usefulness is played out, after which they are required to kill their future selves, thereby destroying the evidence as it were. But that's only where this twisty tale begins. All of the actors are good and this tale is involving from start to finish. A sci-fi must see.
June 11, 2017
So original and excellent in its execution. A sci-fi action stand out.
June 10, 2017
Rian Johnson has bought a huge amount of credit with me by showing a massive talent for movie making: using plot and script to more than fill the space that limited budget leaves and making my favorite movie of 2008.

I have no doubt that if anyone can write a time-travel action movie that will still make logical sense it is Rian. Casting Levitt in the lead again only strengthens that faith as when those two worked together before the results were simply impressive.
½ June 3, 2017
Dark and refreshingly original, "Looper" is excellently thought out, and even manages to be quite touching.
½ May 31, 2017
The loop fails to grip or entertain for large portions of this hole filled plot. Mildly diverting.
½ May 19, 2017
Alll star cast with a great story that with its twist and turns really makes you think until the credits seen. Although it does suffer from a very minor pacing in the beginning. This movie is definitely one of the best action/sci-fi movies of the 2010's