Looper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Looper Reviews

January 20, 2017
The perfect time travel movie made....not an easy thing to accomplish...but Rian Johnson does it and it looks so good....powerful storytelling, stylish good old action and the visuals reminding of "Children of Men" is what makes this futuristic sci-fi , an excellent movie........and the HEART this movie has...makes it a GREAT movie....
Do watch it...you will be surprised....
½ January 14, 2017
Smart, original, and impeccably stylish; Looper's visual style and concept alone makes Looper worth watching, but the emotional underpinnings and focused storytelling allow Looper to rise to a new level.
½ January 11, 2017
Pros:
Gripping story, even if sci fi isn't your cup of tea
Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Emily Blunt's performances are outstanding, as is the central child actor

Cons:
Extreme violence, and the violence against children was particularly disturbing to me. It is central to the plot and not gratuitous but still incredibly difficult to watch. I wouldn't rewatch the film for that alone. It's a shame those characters could not have been older--it would still work for the plot without such incredibly disturbing violence.
January 10, 2017
(5: Loved It, 4: Really Liked It, 3: Liked It, 2: Didn't Like It, and 1: Hated It.)
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 30, 2016
Joseph Gordon Levitt, Bruce Willis and Jeff Daniels are always watchable when they are on screen. The rest of the actors and the movie as a whole are otherwise pretty forgettable. Pacing is slow and there is surprisingly little action. JGL's makeup to make him look more plausibly like a young Bruce Willis didn't really do the trick and ended up being more distracting than helpful.

The secondary characters outside of Daniels really didn't do much. There were also a couple of head-scratching errors that weren't explained and kind of rendered the whole plot meaningless, but I won't spoil them here.

Not exactly a boring movie, but you'll forget about it 5 minutes after it's over.
½ December 27, 2016
Best Sci-Fi movie in years.
½ December 24, 2016
One of those rare occasions in when a spectacular film, not losing its entertainment level, has also a soul and a story to tell. And you just love the cast, filled with talented actors and actresses.
½ December 23, 2016
Besides some technical flaws, Looper is crafted in a great way, has great actings, a clever and original script and enough surprises to delight any sci-fi lover.
½ December 22, 2016
dark and enjoyable, properly sci-fi "what-ifs" instead of just cowboys in space.
December 17, 2016
hi,do you know the game what Sara and Cid play in film "Looper" about 76 min ? thanks.
December 14, 2016
An incredible film with everything you could ask from it. The plot, characters and emotion are all stellar. It's not generic or forced in anyway. Highly recommended!
½ December 11, 2016
Bad-ass and creative with a great director at the helm. The awesome performances by Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon Levitt is so believable that at times I actually thought I was watching the same guy. Looper is pretty much awesome. "I Would Quote This Movie"
½ December 9, 2016
Friggin' awesome! Best of the year so far. Effectively mixes action, time travel, and superpowers with devastating results. Director Rian Johnson is the next Christopher Nolan.
½ December 3, 2016
Original, great flick.
½ November 26, 2016
Great directing and visual style. Fantastic world building of the science fiction universe. Very thorough, thought out plotline, especially since it's using time travel. It's only weakness is that it's a little slow paced.
November 17, 2016
What a great film. So well done, and many twists to keep you entertained
½ November 12, 2016
JGL really pins this movie together and a truly original idea.
November 11, 2016
Although I wish the characters had more depth, this scifi western thriller is an entrancing and exhilarating film.
November 3, 2016
Is it just me or does director Rian Johnson, (Brick, The Brothers Bloom, Breaking Bad), have major childhood issues? Think about it, Brick is a noir murder mystery set against the back drop of a high school, The Brothers Bloom is about a pair of sibling con men, and Looper has Freudian, psychoanalytical readings a plenty to sink your teeth into. I might not be far wrong here.

Looper is an action sci-fi noir film from the man who's to bring us Star Wars: Episode VIII. It has a time travel premise that would honestly take me the whole of this review to lay out to you, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's (Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, 500 Days of Summer), character has a speech memorised and everything. Needless to say, himself, 30 years from now is around making business and some very bad people want to hurt both of them, or one of them, this time travel shit is confusing. I mean that's one way of saying it, another way of saying is that it's clearly evident that this film's time travel laws make absolutely fuck all sense and crumble upon the slightest inspection. In fact there's one scene that has been cited the world over as echoing the scene from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me in which Austin is told not to worry about the ins and outs of time travel, before Bazil Exposition turns to the camera and goes "and I suggest you do the same", Bruce Willis, (The Sixth Sense, Die Hard), keeps repeating to Gordon-Levitt that "it doesn't matter" increasingly forcefully until he shuts up. The thing is about that time travel is that it makes just enough sense to keep you engaged, and it does at a first glace it seems perfectly fine but as the film goes on it begins to fall apart but you're hopefully so involved in the drama at that point you might not care.

The key success of Looper is that it does the three things that sci-fi has done brilliantly but separately since its inception, except all at once; it explores interesting scientific little widgets like, 'what if this particular brand of time travel was a thing and it just went horribly wrong', in the vein of, maybe Ex_Machina, Moon, or Blade Runner; it explores sort of real emotional/political depth, (less the political in this case), like District 9 or A.I. Artificial Intelligence; and it provides great crashbangwhallop set pieces in the vein of The Matrix and Star Wars, and it does each of those things perfectly fine. Emily Blunt, (Sicario, Edge of Tomorrow), very much provides a counter to the raging, and actually slightly problematic machismo of the rest of the film. She only shows up until the last act and the only real women character up until that point is the typical noir prostitute/stripper girlfriend stereotype that is really just tired and slightly offensive at this point, but Emily Blunt, probably the best thing about the film, isn't exactly strong and indomitable, she has moments of weakness and fault but they give her character a depth and complexity that works very well with her bolder moments and honestly she's just fantastic. The machismo is definitely there with the film's action and noir trappings, Jeff Daniels, (The Martian) is there doing that thing he does of looking quite amicable and friendly but also like he's also going to alternately fire you or snap your neck depending on the age rating of the movie, and Bruce Willis does that thing Bruce Willis does of stroking his ageing ego by holding a very bug gun very high on his body and firing it very quickly and loudly with a very big frown shouting very gratuitous insults. However, I think the film does enough for me to forgive it. Paul Dano, (Love & Mercy, There Will Be Blood) is there, and I love Paul Dano, and I'll watch him in anything, but honestly he's wasted here and he can do better I know he can.

All in all, Looper is a fairly ambitious piece that succeeds through a heartfelt plot, a level of cineliteracy I liked, (there's one shot of Bruce Willis before he's lost all of Gordon-Levitt's hair that is unmistakably a visual reference to The Fifth Element that I quite enjoyed), and a neat little sci-fi widgety plot as well as some top notch world building and production design from Ed Verreaux, (Jurassic World, Rush Hour 3).