Looper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Looper Reviews

April 22, 2017
A cleverly written take on time travel, and a fantastic science fiction flick. Great performances mixed with tension and action makes Looper one of the more intriguing films I've seen in quite a while. My only slight problem with the film is that the ending seems to happen rather fast considering how the rest of the movie was panning out until that point. Other than that Looper is a must-watch movie.
April 17, 2017
Looper is extremely original and entertaining. Rian Johnson wrote and directed this movie so brilliantly. The shots are so incredible. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, and Emily Blunt are all great in this film. The kid did an excellent job acting as well. This is a must watch and a great new Sci-fi film.
½ April 10, 2017
May have some mediocre elements throughout the movie, but Looper brings a fresh and interesting take within the Sci-Fi genre.
½ April 2, 2017
concept was good but the movie was terrible , had headaches while and afterward
April 2, 2017
A good fun thriller with a great story which comes together quite nicely. Unlike many recent time travel movies this one is not too hard in the brain and more enjoyable
March 23, 2017
Very interesting, liked the visual effects, story was original and cool.
½ March 19, 2017
a good movie the only thing that bugged me was Joseph Gordon Levitt his makeup was terrible or it was terrible cgi to make him look younger
either way he just looked weird
½ March 19, 2017
Meh. Surprisingly the first non sequel/remake of the year, though the idea and story isn't very original.
½ March 16, 2017
Neo-noire sci-fi thriller well acted written and directed.
March 16, 2017
My kind of science fiction. So this takes place a few decades in the future, right before time travel is invented and then immediately outlawed. Mobsters use it as a means of getting rid of unwanted loose ends, and they dispose of people by sending them into the past to be killed by waiting executioners, who are called loopers. When a young looper (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) fails to kill his older self (Bruce Willis), it disrupts the natural order, and it isn't long before things escalate from there. Now I've been watching movies seriously since 2008, even though I only just got this blog in 2014. I had some time off, so I figured I would go back and revisit some of my favorites. Looper was my favorite movie of the year 2012, and I still admire it. I have a serious soft spot for science fiction when it is done right, and Looper is exactly that. It's not Independence Day, but it does have some cool special effects featured throughout. It is a movie that uses its budget smartly, as they did not have money for days to spend on this, so they get their points across by using a lot of cool camera tricks. This is directed by one of my favorite up and coming directors Rian Johnson who hasn't created a bad thing yet. He was the man behind the high school noir film Brick, the fun Brothers Bloom, a few episodes of the amazing Breaking Bad and he is also helming Episode VIII or Star Wars, which isn't a bad resume at all. I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt does great work in here, as he has to play Bruce Willis (because you know it's not going to work the other way around). He did a lot of studying of the television series Moonlighting to get the younger version of Willis down, and after adding make up and color contacts, I think he really pulls it off. Some of my favorite parts of this film are when they are just having a discourse with each other, like with the diner scene. Now I do still love this movie, and I've seen it three or four times now, but I will say that there are few logic things that stand out upon multiple viewings, namely with the time travel. I can blur my eyes and ignore them though, and the same thing can be said about any time travel piece, really. Looper is a movie that makes so many intelligent decisions with the story telling, and it sells it with developing character motivation. I've heard a few people say that they got bored with this when they got to the farm, but I feel like all that did was heighten the cool stuff even more, because you then care about what happens to these characters. This is one cool film, and I highly recommend it.
March 12, 2017
this movie was really amazing, I wasn't expecting an ending like this one ...
½ March 8, 2017
great movie though ending made no sense
½ March 7, 2017
Rian Johnson's "Looper" marks a definitive high note in the long-running pantheon of time travel films, successfully offering up a fresh take on the fantastical concepts at hand whilst spinning a gripping yarn with some meaningful comments on the cycle of violence along the way. High marks go to the four main cast members - Gordon-Levitt, Willis, Blunt, and Gagnon - for bringing this gripping, personal story of vengeance, love, and retribution to life.
March 4, 2017
Not perfect, but a good Action/Thriller movie.
½ February 23, 2017
The premise of this movie is really interesting; The first hour hooked me and made me really disappointed at what happens from there.
February 22, 2017
Looper is a 2012 science fiction thriller, written and directed by Rian Johnson. This film revolves around the idea of contract killers using time travel. In the year 2044, criminals called "loopers" are paid to kill people sent to them by the mafia through time travel. Despite time travel being highly illegal in the year 2074, sending victims back 30 years to be killed and disposed of is the most efficient way to kill without leaving a trace. Even with significant plot issues, the film was well scripted and presented, making it overall a reasonably entertaining movie rather than the disaster it could have been.
One of the main characters Joe, portrayed by both Joseph Gordon-Levitt (present day Joe) and Bruce Willis (future Joe) is one of these loopers. Eventually, the day dreaded by every looper comes around. Joe is tasked with killing his future self. However, when present Joe fails to "close the loop" and future Joe escapes, the movie takes off.
The whole idea of time traveling killings, is quite unique and intriguing. Unfortunately, the plot left a lot to be desired. As one could expect in any futuristic sci-fi movie, there were several plot holes. For example, little effort was put into explaining how time travel worked. When it came up during a conversation between old and young Joe, it was quickly shot down as future Joe yelled "It doesn't matter!" There were also questions as to why the victims were not killed before being sent back in time. It would seem to be much more efficient and prevent any risk of escape (cough, cough). Another questionable situation is why the looper must be the one to kill himself. Again, an unnecessary risk this so called smart and superior mafia is taking, as any looper will be hesitant to kill his future self.
One more criticism that must be addressed is how the focus completely changes in the middle of the movie. To begin, the film centers on old Joe trying to escape young Joe. Without conclusion to that conflict, a child who supposedly grows into an evil, supernatural leader, spontaneously becomes the new objective for both young and old Joe. The writers failed to properly transition into this new story, leaving the audience in disarray.
Despite these gaping issues, the rest film was put together well. The other main actors Emily Blunt, Jeff Daniels, Noah Segan, and especially the young Pierce Gagnon, all seemed very comfortable and in-touch with their characters. Emily Blunt as Sara looked very natural playing the "tough girl" and speaking in an American accent. Pierce Gagnon who played the 10 year old Cid, also exceeded expectations with stellar lines and physique, acting well above his actual age.
Again, anybody can find flaws with a movie based on time traveling contract killers, but the originality, acting, and even some well-done special effects boost this movie above the mediocracy hump. Overall, a movie you'd enjoy watching once, but wouldn't order on Blu-ray.
½ February 19, 2017
This movie is very good and I enjoyed it, end of story. For some reason people don't like this movie because of all the paradoxes it creates. So? Just because there's plot holes or paradoxes in a movie it doesn't ruin it. Back to to Future had tons of paradoxes and everyone loves those movies. It's a great film, so what if it has plot holes? Every movie has plot holes to some degree, especially movies that have a plot centered around time travel. It's a good movie, just enjoy it.
½ February 19, 2017
*Shing* *sparkle sparkle* This film tackles the complexity of time travel and delivers a story that will have you wanting to "loop" around and watch it again. The movie had the potential to have the audience confused and wondering what was going on. Instead between the great acting performances and the overall script the only question we are asking at the end is why can't all movies take the time to be this good.
½ February 13, 2017
A superb sci-fi action thriller that is brilliantly original and infinitely badass