Looper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Looper Reviews

½ March 13, 2018
What might seem like a straight up action adventure is overwhelming and kinda lame!
½ March 12, 2018
An absolutely bad movie
March 6, 2018
GREAT MOVIE, worth the watch.
½ March 2, 2018
Joseph Gordon Levitt, Bruce Willis and Jeff Daniels are always watchable when they are on screen. The rest of the actors and the movie as a whole are otherwise pretty forgettable. Pacing is slow and there is surprisingly little action. JGL's makeup to make him look more plausibly like a young Bruce Willis didn't really do the trick and ended up being more distracting than helpful.

The secondary characters outside of Daniels really didn't do much. There were also a couple of head-scratching errors that weren't explained and kind of rendered the whole plot meaningless, but I won't spoil them here.

Not exactly a boring movie, but you'll forget about it 5 minutes after it's over.
½ February 16, 2018
A futuristic sci-fi punk movie that does not rely on visuals or a single performance, as all actors in this play their roles almost to perfection. This film brings out inner conflict that dwells inside us all, that of self-benefit or saving those you love, while not feeling cliche at any point. Joseph Gordon-Levitt brings a massive amount of life to his character, and Bruce Willis does extremely well as the future Gordon-Levitt. It shows that this picture was shot with love, care, and appreciation for the genre, though that is no surprise since Rian Johnson was at the directing helm.
½ February 11, 2018
Bruce Willis does mean and moody well in an ok sci-fi movie, ideas are there, but the stupid BLUE LENS FLARE across actors faces is distracting and disrespectful to the stars and audience alike. I had to watch this film twice for the first 40 minutes as it took away from the storyline wondering if it was a projection/bluray fault.

Aside from that, performances are good but the story messed up with the Dr Who easy "timey wimey" fix, and a few months after seeing it you will struggle to remember what happened.

Waste of the fine cast's talent.
February 11, 2018
A Tale of Two Halves. The first half is sci-fi, quite interesting. Then it seems a new writer was hired because the second half is fantasy, introducing MAGIC CHILD. So then we spend what seems 10 hours at a farm with MAGIC CHILD. Who will turn into the big bad, and is already a petulant shit, with an idiot mother. It's a shame Joseph Gordon-Levitt prevented Bruce Willis from killing MAGIC CHILD.

When this movie comes on the TV I'm excited for the first hour then [I have a poor memory] go "oh wait, this turns into a farm house fantasy movie with MAGIC CHILD...." and change the channel.

Competently directed, well-acted, inexplicably dichotomous plot. And the farm, the crops, shotgun, MAGIC CHILD, boring.
January 19, 2018
Even the worst director can come up with something decent, I guess...
½ January 11, 2018
Another shit film from Rian Johnson. It looks pretty, but what a mess. Cool Bruce Willis is in it? Yeah, he sucks these days too, he should probs retire or move on to old people movies or run for office or whatever washed up actors do these days. Him and Rian are perfect for each other being terrible with movie since the 90s.
January 9, 2018
I so, so wanted to love this movie through the whole runtime. I'm a sucker for smart time travel stories, and it's hard to make an original film in that sci-fi niche. The acting, cinematography, and [most of the] action are great. The characters, arcs, and themes of the film are top-notch. However, there's no way to overlook some of the annoyingly long subplots/characters, the fact the movie world doesn't follow its own rules, the illogicality of this mafia-run future, and more. Several scenes were unnecessary, the emotions asked of us make no sense in the film's world, and the super-powers were clunky and forced (apart from one great scene). The film seemed confused whether it was trying to open a franchise or be a unique product. Finally, the ending plot hole is too big to ignore.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt's sacrifice at the end of the film is meaningless. He thought by killing himself, Bruce Willis wouldn't shoot the mom and the kid wouldn't grow up to become evil. But that's not how it happened the first time. The first time, the kid grew up with the mom alone. He still became evil, she didn't stop anything. So, by Joseph Gordon-Levitt killing himself, he allowed the kid to grow into the mass murderer anyway. Good job, idiot. You're worse than Qui-Gon Jinn letting Anikin be trained against all logic to kill all the Jedi. Don't try to tell me he somehow knew that the child would turn out differently than he would have the first time. Why would you say that? The film didn't suggest that was the case. It randomly changed the story near the end so the audience thinks that somehow now the kid can grow up with the mom like he should have. BUT THAT HAPPENED AND HE TURNED INTO A MASS MURDERER. She's just a BAD MOM. And Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character is an idiot. They were made for each other. That's the only thing learned from the film's ending.
½ January 6, 2018
Rian has really impressed me, this movie is actually amazing. I was invested in the world and characters Rian build, which doesn't happen a lot to me with most sci-fi movies.
January 2, 2018
One of my top 20 best sci fi films. The story is absolutely killer. Screen writing is top notch, and the acting - just awesome! Bruce Willis & Joe Levitt are just killer. I Highly recommend this one.
December 30, 2017
May have some mediocre elements throughout the movie, but Looper brings a fresh and interesting take within the Sci-Fi genre.
½ December 25, 2017
If you've seen a lot of Bruce Willis films you can really appreciate Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance in Looper. The movie has a very interesting premise and story, but some scenes just slowed this action thriller down too many times.
½ December 23, 2017
This is the film that made shotguns and time travel cool again.
½ December 23, 2017
I only signed up to rotten tomatoes so I could post a review of Star Wars, the last Jedi, another of mr. Johnson's films. I thought while I'm here, I might as well review his other movies too. Like the last Jedi, This film is also terrible and full up to the brim with moronic plot holes. It takes every different interpretation of time travel and ties them into a clusterfuck that makes not one lick of sense. Don't bother watching this, do yourself a favour and watch Back to the Future again instead.
December 22, 2017
Not as bad as the Last Jedi, but still bad.
They don't explain why it's hard to hide bodies in the future, but why not kill them in the future and only send back a dead body? The only reason I can think of is so that someone can fail to close the loop.
If something happens to your younger self while your older self is in the same time, it affects them at that time. If you, for example, lose a limb, your future self will also lose the limb, but it won't affect any of their other future actions in any way? Uh huh. It would either change the entire timeline or not affect your future self at all. Pick one, not this in between crap.
I'm never watching another movie by Rian Johnson again.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Con un soberbio guión y una absorbente historia, Looper se convierte en un gran exponente de la ciencia ficción del sigo XXI.
½ December 17, 2017
SWTLJ was so bad it carries over to his previous films as the root cause. Rian johnsons writing is subpar to George Lucas.
December 17, 2017
Easily one of the best sci-fi movies in years. Superb