Lost in Space - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost in Space Reviews

May 9, 2018
Awful acting, weak story line, total disregard for science,...in other words, a worthy successor to the original.
May 1, 2018
.. Ungrateful spoiled audiences deprived us of a sequel to this which was planned. I wont mince words because this is a great, GOOD movie thats far better than ''spiderman homecoming'', b-panther, wonderwoman, the ghostbusters ''reboot'' and ''maleficent'' live action movie combined a hundred times over. We, Were, Ungrateful for this fantastic movie.
April 27, 2018
I wanted to love this movie so much, but they failed the subject badly.
April 23, 2018
Absolutely loved this show hope they make more.
April 18, 2018
The grittier film version of the campy tv series that interestingly chose hard science fiction of fluffy sci fi.
April 15, 2018
In the late 90's, rebooting movies became a big thing. Ironically, the reboots only resembled their predecessors in name and characters. The story lines vaguely resembled the originals. In fact movies such as Charlie's Angles and Dukes of Hazzard were better received and the movies were campy by comparison to their more serious television counterparts. Lost in Space was a first when it came to science fiction on television premiering years earlier than Star Trek. Lost in Space's early episodes were campy with "tongue in cheek" humor. Eventually it became more serious. Why then was this movie not received with better reviews? The movie was well written with some issues. Unfortunately, the so called "critics" are given to over analyzing movies. While movies like this are not Citizen Kane, that doesn't mean it is a "Rotten" movie. In spite of the director, Bill Mummy should have played the role of the future Will Robinson, and there should have been a sequel.
March 22, 2018
In this movie, you will see a bad ass robot. You will also see a bad ass Dr. Smith. Also, Don West is a bad ass, super winks and all, tho he does have a habit of flying into things, so the Red Baron he is not. Everyone else you can ignore. That being said, this movie is well worth the $2 you will pay for it when you find it at someone's garage sale.
March 8, 2018
Really, really, really stupid.
February 24, 2018
To be honest, I've never watched the original TV series this movie was loosely based upon, but, in my opinion, this movie does deliver great action sequences, a number of interesting characters and an overall compelling storyline.

Kids like us may not remember the show, but it can be a trip to nostalgia. "Lost in Space" fans, on the other hand, may not enjoy it. I mean, sure, it isn't as great as some of the gigantic blockbusters in the 1990s, but, for me, I enjoyed it as a whole.

See it once, twice or even three times, if you're a '90s kid like myself.
November 25, 2017
2/5. Lost in Space has a solid first act, setting up what should have been a fun movie. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie can't live up. Boring action sequences, a cliched plot, and some awful CGI. While Gary Oldman is great, he can't save this movie from becoming lost in a muddled mess.
November 8, 2017
A big-budget adaption of the classic '60s television show, Lost in Space is a cheesy and cliché sci-fi action-comedy. While on a deep space mission to a new human colony the Robinson's ship is critically damaged, leading them to use their experimental hyperdrive to escape the sun's gravity; but in doing so they end up being transported to an unexplored region of space. Starring William Hurt, Matt LeBlanc, Heather Graham, Lacey Chabert, and Gary Oldman, the cast is fairly strong; however, their performances are barely serviceable. Also, the writing is rather poor, featuring a nonsensical plot and incredibly weak dialog. Still, the set designs and costumes give the film an interesting look and felt, and the special effects are pretty good (though some of the CGI is rough). Additionally, there are several exciting action scenes with space battles, robots, and alien creatures. Lost in Space is kind of fun at time, but overall it's a convoluted mess.
August 11, 2017
Maybe to fans of LIS tv series it missed alot but as a stand alone film it ages well for its release date and at the time limits of cgi plus the actors did a great job with roles and lines given. dont always believe the RT score
May 10, 2017
The best movie of 1998....!
April 25, 2017
Nothing Special. Rehashing An Idea That Should Of Been Left To Rest & Be In Peace, Back In The 60's.
April 22, 2017
Wow, cheesy *and* annoying! If the TV show weren't my fav when I was 10 I'd have to have bailed after 5 minutes.

Amazing how badly Hollywood can get it sometimes.
March 8, 2017
Decades ago when this movie came out I thought it was very good, and I rated it highly. Well, time and experience have made me a wiser man, because now I see some rather large flaws. I still think it's a relatively fun sci-fi adventure that tries to blend the feeling of Star Wars and Star Trek. I particularly enjoy the time travel aspects, and I think that is what made me like it so much back in the late 90s. One of the big problems with Lost in Space is that the CGI does not hold up at all. It is very shoddy, particularly when it comes to the living creatures. I do like the cast, and I think Gary Oldman is always a great villain. Even Matt LeBlanc didn't bother me because he was placed in the role of a cocky, womanizing soldier.

However, I think the movie struggled a bit because it was trying to fit into the mold of the original TV series too much. As a result they had to include a specific list of characters and both daughters were utterly useless in the plot. They are given moments to do things, but this film was so heavily focused on Will Robinson's relationship with his father that having these other kids in the way just needlessly cluttered the film with subplots. So we get the pointless romance to keep Heather Graham doing something, and we get annoying diary entries and a terrible CGI alien so we have a reason to look at Lacey Chabert from time to time.

The story is not a unique one, but it is interesting because of how they utilize time travel to explore what might happen. I'm a sucker for a good story of the kid who feels neglected by his father and therefore has to choose whether to follow in his footsteps or go along a darker path. Again, this is where Gary Oldman gets his moments to shine and he takes full advantage as the perfectly villainous Dr. Smith. There are some definite missteps and I don't know if the final resolution is satisfying, but it's not a completely terrible movie as I think it often gets labeled. Still, now that I've seen it again, I can't recommend it either.
½ February 11, 2017
2017-02-11 long and kind of stilted & hokey, but ok
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
November 27, 2016
A curiously dull reboot that lacks the energy and charm of the original show.
½ August 22, 2016
never saw the show it was based on but this was pretty stupid. Matt LeBlanc was better on Friends where his bad acting was funny.