Lost in Space - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost in Space Reviews

May 10, 2017
The best movie of 1998....!
April 25, 2017
Nothing Special. Rehashing An Idea That Should Of Been Left To Rest & Be In Peace, Back In The 60's.
April 22, 2017
Wow, cheesy *and* annoying! If the TV show weren't my fav when I was 10 I'd have to have bailed after 5 minutes.

Amazing how badly Hollywood can get it sometimes.
March 8, 2017
Decades ago when this movie came out I thought it was very good, and I rated it highly. Well, time and experience have made me a wiser man, because now I see some rather large flaws. I still think it's a relatively fun sci-fi adventure that tries to blend the feeling of Star Wars and Star Trek. I particularly enjoy the time travel aspects, and I think that is what made me like it so much back in the late 90s. One of the big problems with Lost in Space is that the CGI does not hold up at all. It is very shoddy, particularly when it comes to the living creatures. I do like the cast, and I think Gary Oldman is always a great villain. Even Matt LeBlanc didn't bother me because he was placed in the role of a cocky, womanizing soldier.

However, I think the movie struggled a bit because it was trying to fit into the mold of the original TV series too much. As a result they had to include a specific list of characters and both daughters were utterly useless in the plot. They are given moments to do things, but this film was so heavily focused on Will Robinson's relationship with his father that having these other kids in the way just needlessly cluttered the film with subplots. So we get the pointless romance to keep Heather Graham doing something, and we get annoying diary entries and a terrible CGI alien so we have a reason to look at Lacey Chabert from time to time.

The story is not a unique one, but it is interesting because of how they utilize time travel to explore what might happen. I'm a sucker for a good story of the kid who feels neglected by his father and therefore has to choose whether to follow in his footsteps or go along a darker path. Again, this is where Gary Oldman gets his moments to shine and he takes full advantage as the perfectly villainous Dr. Smith. There are some definite missteps and I don't know if the final resolution is satisfying, but it's not a completely terrible movie as I think it often gets labeled. Still, now that I've seen it again, I can't recommend it either.
½ February 11, 2017
2017-02-11 long and kind of stilted & hokey, but ok
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
November 27, 2016
A curiously dull reboot that lacks the energy and charm of the original show.
½ August 22, 2016
never saw the show it was based on but this was pretty stupid. Matt LeBlanc was better on Friends where his bad acting was funny.
½ July 6, 2016
Have seen it, liked it, but it's years ago, so I don't remember enough to rate it.
April 24, 2016
campy, watch it with friends and include drinking games
April 12, 2016
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put Matt LeBlanc in charge of a spaceship.

What a shit show.
jamrcla
March 26, 2016
A good film if you're under 10, Any older and you won't really enjoy it, But for its time it was ok, But nothing that will be remembered.
½ January 1, 2016
Uggh! Battlefield Earth is looking better and better every time you waste your money on something such as this!
½ November 25, 2015
This piece of crap completely undermined any sense of a family bond with horrible chemistry, was over sexualized for no apparent reason, except when it was boring, and had completely TOO MUCH CHROME. Imagine if Andromeda had a cast from like the worst family sitcom you can think of, and that is this movie. Oh wait, you don't have to imagine BECAUSE THAT'S JOEY FROM FRIENDS. Unsurprising that Garry Oldman was the only good character portrayal of the whole thing, but even that was weak for him. They strain for the drama like a soap opera and all the jokes fall completely flat. maybe Netflix will do a better job.
½ October 13, 2015
The Global Sedition forces' heartless attitude toward the rest of humanity is personified by their spy saboteur Dr Smith as the race to the perfect colony planet is upended by his shenanigans.
½ September 29, 2015
The end credits of Lost in Space are freaking awesome. Hyperspace zooms fade in and out with the credited names and blurry clips of the film, to a soundtrack with snippets of dialogue from the movie interwoven into a jazzed up, fast tempo version of the original Lost in Space theme song - my pick for perhaps the BEST TV theme music of all time. These end credits are like something you'd experience in a nightclub while tripping on disco biscuits - an awesome tune, and frantic, fun remix. So cool.

It's a shame what you have to sit through to get to it.

If ever a film was a pre-packaged, made-by-committee, Hollywood product - Lost in Space is it. Here's what I reckon went down:

1. Ransack old television series, fitting our desire to NOT have an original product onscreen, AND our perceived knowledge in the power of nostalgia to sell tickets...CHECK!!!

(shame that Lost in Space the 60s TV series wasn't THAT widely beloved anyway, beyond geeky/campy circles, so no one was clamoring for a reboot, shame perhaps that the tone of this flick eschewed the campy fun of the series)

2. Of course, we'll have to throw in some extra elements that will appeal to modern audiences

(shame that the pieces don't really fit together that well. I quite liked the blatant Star Wars-rip-off dogfight in the opening reel, but that's just eye candy. I also enjoyed the Aliens-like escape from the killer spiders bit in the middle. But shame about the dreary slogs surrounding)

3. Bring in a couple of Oscar-nominees to give the film some cred with the oldies and critics.

(shame that William Hurt (while decent here, he's been far more indulgent elsewhere) is going to be miscast in ANY story that emphasises plot and fun over character and potential-Oscar-noms, shame that Gary Oldman (who CAN be OTT fun - eg: The Professional) is a little subdued here...until his turn as a creepy-as-hell CGI spider....WTF!!!)

4. Cast Joey from Friends to lock-in the 20 and 30 somethings

(Yes, Friends/LeBlanc were at the height of their popularity in the late 90s. But shame that the majority of folk who watched Friends would only go to a science fiction flick IF IT WERE GOOD)

5. Add a couple of hotties who look good in space spandex

(OK, so unlike her Dorian Gray-like ex-hubbie, Mimi Rogers might have seen better days, but she still filled the spandex nicely. And Heather Graham...well, HEATHER GRAHAM. But kind of a shame that both ladies/characters were sidelined to do little more than pine for/kiss the male heroes)

6. Don't forget the kids!!! Make sure we appeal to them

(OK, Jack Johnson is pretty great as Will Robinson. But Lacey Chabert as Penny is like fingernails on a blackboard...but hey, she was in Party of Five, the kids know/love/want to be her - throw her in! But it's not the casting that's the problem here...)

In fact, pre-packaged, made-by-committee, Hollywood products CAN work. And - arguably William Hurt aside - the casting isn't really the problem with Lost in Space.

The problem is that the film is not made with any passion or drive or love. It looks great, and tepid direction aside - the performers are mostly game. But there's little momentum and drive and wit and fun. The vibe is too somber and sometimes Spider-Smith creepy. The pace is too staid. The story is a cross between a dreary time-travel episode of Star Trek and a Seventh Heaven episode about making sure we tell our loved ones we love them. It's obvious with being clever. It's corny without being fun. Johnson -- and intermittently Le Blanc and Oldman - bring things to life with some enthusiasm. Mimi has a nice "pissing contest" speech. The spider attack scene reminds me a bit of The Incredibles scene with the black globules on the bridge, and not in a bad way. The film is not a total loss. I'm glad I've seen it.

But the best part is by FAR the John Williams theme at the end. Next time I'll just fast forward directly to that.
½ September 26, 2015
With overblown action, lack of campy charm and a surprisingly wooden performance by William Hurt. The lost in space movie is a dully vapid sci-fi that is lost as the title
½ July 7, 2015
LOL! everything about this movie was hysterically bad. Everything! story, acting, dialogue, special effects, numerous obvious scientific inaccuracies. it was ridiculous to the point of being entertaining. the only good part about this movie was Gary oldman who did an awesome job. so awesome that it felt out of place amongst the rest of the "actors." Mimi Rogers was the worst for sure. the best part is when I was a kid this was my favorite movie, so it was kind of nostalgic and funny to think about all the parts that fascinated me then and how dumb they actually are. I reserved the vhs at fyi store before it came out!

SPOILERS

it took them 16 hours to reach the sun from earth lmao. later they didn't have enough fuel to break out of the planet's gravitational pull so the plan was to fly back down into the planet and go all the way through it as it's breaking apart, in order to pick up enough speed. that is illogical on six different levels (about 5 viewings)
July 4, 2015
It's nice that they at least made the effort to make a movie from the popular campy TV show. However, we were all too used to the iconic characters and actors from the TV show, so the movie just didn't catch. I'm glad they made the effort, but it wasn't successful.