Lost in Space - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost in Space Reviews

½ August 22, 2016
never saw the show it was based on but this was pretty stupid. Matt LeBlanc was better on Friends where his bad acting was funny.
½ July 6, 2016
Have seen it, liked it, but it's years ago, so I don't remember enough to rate it.
April 24, 2016
campy, watch it with friends and include drinking games
April 12, 2016
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put Matt LeBlanc in charge of a spaceship.

What a shit show.
March 26, 2016
A good film if you're under 10, Any older and you won't really enjoy it, But for its time it was ok, But nothing that will be remembered.
½ January 1, 2016
Uggh! Battlefield Earth is looking better and better every time you waste your money on something such as this!
½ November 25, 2015
This piece of crap completely undermined any sense of a family bond with horrible chemistry, was over sexualized for no apparent reason, except when it was boring, and had completely TOO MUCH CHROME. Imagine if Andromeda had a cast from like the worst family sitcom you can think of, and that is this movie. Oh wait, you don't have to imagine BECAUSE THAT'S JOEY FROM FRIENDS. Unsurprising that Garry Oldman was the only good character portrayal of the whole thing, but even that was weak for him. They strain for the drama like a soap opera and all the jokes fall completely flat. maybe Netflix will do a better job.
½ October 13, 2015
The Global Sedition forces' heartless attitude toward the rest of humanity is personified by their spy saboteur Dr Smith as the race to the perfect colony planet is upended by his shenanigans.
½ September 29, 2015
The end credits of Lost in Space are freaking awesome. Hyperspace zooms fade in and out with the credited names and blurry clips of the film, to a soundtrack with snippets of dialogue from the movie interwoven into a jazzed up, fast tempo version of the original Lost in Space theme song - my pick for perhaps the BEST TV theme music of all time. These end credits are like something you'd experience in a nightclub while tripping on disco biscuits - an awesome tune, and frantic, fun remix. So cool.

It's a shame what you have to sit through to get to it.

If ever a film was a pre-packaged, made-by-committee, Hollywood product - Lost in Space is it. Here's what I reckon went down:

1. Ransack old television series, fitting our desire to NOT have an original product onscreen, AND our perceived knowledge in the power of nostalgia to sell tickets...CHECK!!!

(shame that Lost in Space the 60s TV series wasn't THAT widely beloved anyway, beyond geeky/campy circles, so no one was clamoring for a reboot, shame perhaps that the tone of this flick eschewed the campy fun of the series)

2. Of course, we'll have to throw in some extra elements that will appeal to modern audiences

(shame that the pieces don't really fit together that well. I quite liked the blatant Star Wars-rip-off dogfight in the opening reel, but that's just eye candy. I also enjoyed the Aliens-like escape from the killer spiders bit in the middle. But shame about the dreary slogs surrounding)

3. Bring in a couple of Oscar-nominees to give the film some cred with the oldies and critics.

(shame that William Hurt (while decent here, he's been far more indulgent elsewhere) is going to be miscast in ANY story that emphasises plot and fun over character and potential-Oscar-noms, shame that Gary Oldman (who CAN be OTT fun - eg: The Professional) is a little subdued here...until his turn as a creepy-as-hell CGI spider....WTF!!!)

4. Cast Joey from Friends to lock-in the 20 and 30 somethings

(Yes, Friends/LeBlanc were at the height of their popularity in the late 90s. But shame that the majority of folk who watched Friends would only go to a science fiction flick IF IT WERE GOOD)

5. Add a couple of hotties who look good in space spandex

(OK, so unlike her Dorian Gray-like ex-hubbie, Mimi Rogers might have seen better days, but she still filled the spandex nicely. And Heather Graham...well, HEATHER GRAHAM. But kind of a shame that both ladies/characters were sidelined to do little more than pine for/kiss the male heroes)

6. Don't forget the kids!!! Make sure we appeal to them

(OK, Jack Johnson is pretty great as Will Robinson. But Lacey Chabert as Penny is like fingernails on a blackboard...but hey, she was in Party of Five, the kids know/love/want to be her - throw her in! But it's not the casting that's the problem here...)

In fact, pre-packaged, made-by-committee, Hollywood products CAN work. And - arguably William Hurt aside - the casting isn't really the problem with Lost in Space.

The problem is that the film is not made with any passion or drive or love. It looks great, and tepid direction aside - the performers are mostly game. But there's little momentum and drive and wit and fun. The vibe is too somber and sometimes Spider-Smith creepy. The pace is too staid. The story is a cross between a dreary time-travel episode of Star Trek and a Seventh Heaven episode about making sure we tell our loved ones we love them. It's obvious with being clever. It's corny without being fun. Johnson -- and intermittently Le Blanc and Oldman - bring things to life with some enthusiasm. Mimi has a nice "pissing contest" speech. The spider attack scene reminds me a bit of The Incredibles scene with the black globules on the bridge, and not in a bad way. The film is not a total loss. I'm glad I've seen it.

But the best part is by FAR the John Williams theme at the end. Next time I'll just fast forward directly to that.
½ September 26, 2015
With overblown action, lack of campy charm and a surprisingly wooden performance by William Hurt. The lost in space movie is a dully vapid sci-fi that is lost as the title
½ July 7, 2015
LOL! everything about this movie was hysterically bad. Everything! story, acting, dialogue, special effects, numerous obvious scientific inaccuracies. it was ridiculous to the point of being entertaining. the only good part about this movie was Gary oldman who did an awesome job. so awesome that it felt out of place amongst the rest of the "actors." Mimi Rogers was the worst for sure. the best part is when I was a kid this was my favorite movie, so it was kind of nostalgic and funny to think about all the parts that fascinated me then and how dumb they actually are. I reserved the vhs at fyi store before it came out!

it took them 16 hours to reach the sun from earth lmao. later they didn't have enough fuel to break out of the planet's gravitational pull so the plan was to fly back down into the planet and go all the way through it as it's breaking apart, in order to pick up enough speed. that is illogical on six different levels (about 5 viewings)
July 4, 2015
It's nice that they at least made the effort to make a movie from the popular campy TV show. However, we were all too used to the iconic characters and actors from the TV show, so the movie just didn't catch. I'm glad they made the effort, but it wasn't successful.
May 15, 2015
Where's the Cheessy camp that made the TV series so good.....lost in this movie's space it seems.
½ May 8, 2015
okay. this is my favorite guilty pleasure movie. It's an okay movie, but the 9 years old kid in me love this movie.
April 17, 2015
Another Sci fi franchise with great potential ruined by terrible writing and just as terrible acting. Odd how this film parallels The Phantom Menace. Both were released around the same time, had genius kids who could build robots and sounded exactly the same, and had a super annoying CGI alien that was just awful.
½ March 27, 2015
Unneeded and unwanted remake of the old tv series. This one is cheesy and annoying.
March 26, 2015
I know it's a remake of a 50's sci fi. I also know it's a family movie. All that being said I found it too damn fluffy. Disappointed with the cheap nasty CGI spiders. The robot was shit as was the cute cartoon alien. I wonder if I've become incapable of watching and enjoying family movies anymore......which is a worry
½ January 23, 2015
Glad to know I can still enjoy it's bad graphics and cheesy-ness even still as an adult. Finally, a love from my childhood that hasn't ended up being a huge disappointment when I come to revisit it. Such a fun movie and I love the ending, I wouldn't mind a remake [=p] Though I don't think they could manage a good replacement for Lacey (Penny)
Confession: I had a huge crush on her when I watched this movie as a kid. [xP]
½ January 4, 2015
I like this movie. Great effects, interesting twist on the storyline, should've been a blockbuster. Movie kinda runs out of steam and becomes formulaic but still entertaining and a lot of fun to watch. Only those familiar with the original series will actually get the point of it all. Lots of in jokes as oldman hams it up brilliantly with his hammed up dialogue.