Lost In Translation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost In Translation Reviews

July 23, 2016
A beautiful reflection on life, love, and what ifs. Well acted and filled with emotions. The writing, direction, story telling and acting were all superb. It almost makes me look past Sofia in The Godfather 3.
½ July 17, 2016
Ambient, heartwarming, and breathtaking visually. Love the characters, cinematography, and the humor.
½ July 16, 2016
Very charming and well executed story of loneliness highlighted by visually striking showcase of Japan and its culture.
July 15, 2016
The undeniable chemistry between Murray & Johansson along with the fantastic plot and warm tone makes this film about a romance of two friends (not lovers) a classic.
July 11, 2016
If I could,give this,movie negative stars I would who rated this movie in the positive don't watch it it's a,waste of time !
June 27, 2016
Hit certain moments that were special. As well as the setting.
June 18, 2016
The movie's got a magnificent temperature all around. Never being boring, the movies unites the general cliches of culture shock and two entirely different people in their life crisis, who feel united by the former. Very well done. The camera shows stunning pictures in some scenes and the interplay of joy in life and depression has been presented beautifully.
½ June 17, 2016
Brilliant performances and direction. Lost in Translation is a classic with great taste in comedy and tone and style.
June 8, 2016
A beautifully poignant film which above all it's good points is incredibly human, making it an instant masterpiece
May 15, 2016
Bill Murray should have won Best Actor for this. Scarlett Johansson should have been nominated - she hasn't been as good since this movie - it was definitely her finest performance. Sofia Copolla is my favorite director as she really crafts her scripts into something visually breathtaking.
May 4, 2016
tanto el excelente guión y una dirección impecable de Sofia Ford Coppola, dotando de una experiencia emocional sobre dos personas perdidas en un choque cultural.
April 26, 2016
People seem to have strong reactions to this film, for and against: I guess Bill Murray is the cinematic equivalent of stinky cheese. I loved it, and lost myself completely in its dream-like quality.
April 13, 2016
Bill Murray's persona is certainly one of the most intriguing in film. He's a comedic figure that doesn't have the presence of a said "comedic figure" - he's the drily funny stranger in the corner of the room who gradually becomes the center through a series of pointed, clever quips. He's not a Bob Hope nor a Robin Williams, terrific performers who sometimes stooped to the cliché of Overdoing It for sake of a laugh. Always the smartest person in the building (or at least appearing to be), he perpetually seems to be making fun of himself and everyone around him; everything can transform into parody so long as he's part of the situation. In his best works, we're as prone to guffawing at Murray's understated schtick as we are trying to figure him out.
Because his façade is a classic example of the idea that he just might be hiding behind his quick wit. He can get a smile out of anyone without trying, sure, but what drives him? What bothers him as he lay awake at night? What are his biggest regrets? It's this sad-funny circle of three-dimensionality (laced with humor) that has driven me to become the long-term admirer that I am. Murray is, perhaps, the only comedic talent able to be seen as more than just a laugh machine. Punchlines come naturally, but more interesting are his neuroses.
2003's "Lost in Translation," which features what I believe to be his greatest performance (following is his characterization in 2005's "Broken Flowers"), is an epitomization of what I love about Murray - it breaks down his masquerade and makes him a man first, a cinematic jester second. It's a lonely movie about lonely people, aching romanticism hovering in the air with comicality by its side. Written and directed by Sofia Coppola, it's as substantial as it is retrained, its impact lingering quietly and emotionally as the days pass by. So many films try to be everything at once, pushing us in the direction of an affirmed conclusion that leaves us with a definite impression. But "Lost in Translation," elegiac and discerning, has more on its mind than conventionality.
Murray stars as Bob Harris, an aging actor whose once hot career has given way to spokesman status. Currently, he's in Tokyo shooting commercials for Japanese whiskey he cares little about; the money is good, but enjoyment is next to nothing. He'd rather be at home with his wife and kids, though they don't match in their yearning. Bob, despite his comedic timing and his still decently there fanbase, hates what his existence has become. It's clear that he took his family and friends for granted when he had success. Now that he's in the middle-of-the-road stage of his career and his personal life, apologies might have been better received years ago.
So while he's not quite a stereotypical case of your average fifty-something facing a midlife crisis, Bob is unsure of where his life's headed. All he knows is that he's very much alone, that he wishes he could change his past, and that he wants nothing more than to get the hell of out Tokyo. But contracts and vast monetary benefit keep him there, holed up and angsty.
During one of his many lonesome nights drinking solo in his hotel's bar, he captures the attention of Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson), a young woman in the city there to support her husband (Giovanni Ribisi), a director, as he undergoes his latest project. Fresh out of college, Charlotte is intellectually gifted but unsure of what to do with herself. She's beginning to notice that her spouse might not be her soulmate.
Inevitably, Bob and Charlotte see the fatigue in each other's eyes and strike up a quick friendship. In another film, we might see a May-December romance. But their connection is platonic, loving, and brief - though their relationship is doomed to last only a week or so, the affinity is exactly what the other needs. It makes for the first time (in a long time) that either has felt important in the eyes of another.
The juxtaposition of Bob and Charlotte is well-defined and brilliantly portrayed in "Lost in Translation"; just as Bob's trying to figure out his life, Charlotte is trying to find a purpose in hers, to get a sense of who she is as an adult. He's trying to pick up the pieces and she's trying to find the pieces, and their crossing of paths could not have come at a better time. Charlotte's vulnerabilities, linked with Bob's emotional wandering, are healing in their relation.
All derives from Coppola's impeccable screenplay, a piece of immaculate writing as able to convey expansive loneliness as it is able to evoke welcome humor. Coppola, still a rising filmmaker with only 2000's "The Virgin Suicides" under her belt, wrote the script with Murray (and only Murray) in mind; it's often been said that the film would never have been made without him. But Bob Harris is a character only Murray could have played, and Bob Harris is a character only Coppola could have written. Attentive and thorough in her characterizations, Coppola defines individuals with a set of fixations and hang-ups as excruciating as our own. She's among the finest writer/directors of her generation - she says much with the fuss of an overstatement.
And the performances of Murray and Johansson are comparatively top-notch; they find the sweet spot of that hard-to-reach phenomenon in which we cannot picture a certain character portrayed by anyone else. Bob and Charlotte are roles made for them, the former a bizarro world reflection of the actor, the latter a reminder that Johansson, though beautiful, is more than what her ethereal exterior represents. The attributes of the actors play into their characters remarkably, as Bob, who appears to not be so unlike Murray himself, convinces us that we're seeing what Murray is like behind closed doors, and as Charlotte, who's a recent college graduate, might seem to have it all (brains, beauty, marriage), but is miserably empty. The fact that Johansson is 18 but playing 25 speaks volumes in regards to her then-blossoming talent.
Support is great, too: Ribisi is well-cast as Charlotte's unassumingly distant husband, and Anna Faris, stopping by as a Cameron Diaz-esque actress who was an old friend of Charlotte's betrothed, provides the film with some of its most hearty laughs.
But "Lost in Translation" is more than your typical comedy: it is, with a label I use more often than I realize, a wonderful drama that just so happens to be funny. It's a modern-day "Brief Encounter" without the romantic angle, and there's something magical about a friendship bearing the same sense of importance. Coppola has made a particularly humanistic piece, and Murray and Johansson give performances that will stand as being among the best of their careers.
½ April 5, 2016
What do I think of this movie? That's a question. Can I please stop thinking for a moment? As intelligently made as Lost in Translation was, I must first point out that it moved me on a personal level. I love love. In a world where love is sparse, be that the fault of others or ourselves, the fact that it's always possible to find connection with someone is beautiful, to me. That is the essential theme of Lost in Translation, and for that alone, it's a winner. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannson have such lighthearted, romantically intense chemistry. They care about each other very much, but would never even give a second thought on abandoning their current lives. They wouldn't want to be a burden on each other. They don't say that to each other though, and it takes a while for them to communicate directly about how they feel. That aspect of their relationship might be why Lost in Translation has its name, not to mention the amusingly isolating environment of Tokyo, Japan. Sofia Coppola shot Tokyo in different ways: as a blank city, as a city crammed with cult ural spectacles for tourists and residents alike, and as a place not home. That changes from scene to scene, and studying the relationship between Bill / Scarlett and the environment can be quite interesting. By the end of the film, I tasted the bittersweetness of their love, found just in the midst of their similar crises. Oh, well. The movie has no reason to leave, and it can always be there to remind you that love is both free and eternal. Bonus points for the great indie rock soundtrack.
½ April 2, 2016
Such a original story all in all, beautiful movie in all aspects.
March 25, 2016
My all time favorite movie. Hyperbole aside, this movie helped shape the man I am today. I still cry every time I watch it. I still ship Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson, thirteen years later.
March 23, 2016
the perfect journey the highs and lows of a trip a romance a friendship powerful as it is beautifully shot
½ March 21, 2016
If you've ever been lost in another culture, if you've ever felt fragile, you'll likely appreciate the sensibilities off is film, understated as they are at times. The perfect casting of Scarlet and Bill too.
March 17, 2016
I must be one of the minority to review this movie this low because it really didn't do a lot for me, I get what the movie was about but I expected something exciting to happen, maybe my expectations were too high going into this, I dunno. I thought it was a decent watch however, it was a nice story.
March 16, 2016
Jesus, Gorgeous movie, Bill Murry is a genius .