Lost In Translation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost In Translation Reviews

October 7, 2017
Beautiful, moving, Coppola
September 27, 2017
The film is not crazy complicated, actually it's very simple and very convincing in portraying loneliness. It is a sequence of beautiful shots, comedic scenes that make you chuckle, and scenes of hoplesness that don't really sadden you, but make you question yourself. This protagonist duo is indeed not a conventional one, just like these people are not in real life, but it works, they work, maybe it's because of the circumstances, maybe not. The film is constantly trying to portray loneliness and does it in quite a realistic way, but that's where it falls short as a film, it becomes a bit dull. Nevertheless, the film does what it is supposed to do. Tokyo looked beautiful too.
September 17, 2017
So interesting. Good, but sad, but happy in a very weird way. I don't know what to think about it.
September 16, 2017
Stunning film with a subtle and touching plot.
½ September 8, 2017
Inteligente, graciosa y llena de pequeños detalles que hacen que sea un filme interesante e inolvidable. Muchos hurras para Sofia Coppola.
½ August 30, 2017
A very funny and very touching movie it is a great film, and its great work of art as well.
July 26, 2017
Lost in Translation is directed and written by Sofia Coppola, and it stats Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson in a dramedy about a movie star that went to Tokyo to do a commercial for a type of whisky, but knows nothing of the Japanese language and is having a bit of a midlife crisis, while he come across a wife that came to Tokyo because of her husband who's a photographer, and she's not sure of the marriage life that's she's having, while also having nothing else to do that's going on in her life. I remember that I've seen this on Netflix, and actually enjoyed it, but I didn't really know why, although I remembered the whispering scene, which is pretty much the most famous scene of the film. So after seeing this, Lost in Translation is an excellent film that really brought the best out of Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson. Bill Murray is fantastic in it that shows his usual deadpan, which I know the writing is made for that as Sofia Coppola actually wrote this movie for him to be in, while giving off some of the drama elements that works for his character as he's just lost, and is just doing what he can for money, even if he doesn't like doing some of the stuff that gives him money. Scarlett Johansson is also great in this, which I believe that this is the movie that made her well-known as she wasn't in films before this that a lot of people went to go see, and this movie shows the showcase of her talents as an actress by making it a subtle performance, especially for the chemistry between the main characters as you're not quite sure if they are going to be together in the end or not. The movie does a good job of showing some of the lifestyles that Japan citizens do in their everyday lives, and it doesn't portray them in a negative way. It's got some gorgeous shots of Japan, and the conversations between the main characters felt really genuine that you're in there, listening in to their conversations. It also does a great job of showing the challenges that an American person has to go through when they know nothing about the foreign language, and I actually know a lot about the characters here than I did with Sofia's previous film The Virgin Suicides, so it's nice to see improvements. When there are moments that you wonder if they are going in that direction, and it actually mostly doesn't give you a clear answer, which more or less gives in to your interpretation in it, which I thought was really clever as it's from the perspective of Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray's characters and you know as much as they do. Lost in Translation is probably one of my favorites that created human people out of these characters, and I love that in a film with a great script, direction, and acting that comes in as tight as it can be in a good way.
July 14, 2017
Friendly film. A change from meeting, shagging, breaking up, killing someone.
July 1, 2017
Lost in Translation is a charming yet thoughtful movie, tinged with a beautiful sense of melancholy, a very human ennui communicated through the superb acting of Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson (both of them should do more movies like this).
June 27, 2017
A very touching story with a somber ending, Murray and Johansson work beautifully in this film. Beautiful shots of Tokyo fill the screen and left me breathless at times. The film doesn't feel as long as I expected it to, but it still takes its time in a few areas. There is a very surprising amount of humor here, and I found myself laughing quite a bit more than I imagined at this film. Everyone else in the film aside from the two leads were simply not super interesting characters, although the film seems to know this by not focusing on anyone but the leads. I'm not sure if this is something I'd consider buying, but it is far from a bad film, and one that I will remember for a while after I see this, and may yearn to view again
½ June 20, 2017
This slow paced romantic comedy certainly has an attention-grabbing opening. Murray is at his dead-pan best in the early part of this film which includes some very funny moments. But it slows further and a minimal plot results in some tedious and drawn-out scenes. AAN GGWC. 1001
June 2, 2017
Two lost, lonely people having a brief encounter similar to those of what you see in the 'Before' trilogy. It's beautiful and subtle. Sofia Coppola definitely knows how it is done in the film industry.
½ May 30, 2017
Good film. It is slow and kinda boring but that's the idea
½ May 23, 2017
Unwatchable. One of the few movies I've seen that was so painful I walked out.
½ May 10, 2017
I don't like melancholy
May 3, 2017
I am really disappointed with myself when it comes to this movie. I watch a lot of movies, and I usually make decisions about my view of them pretty quickly, as I think I have become fairly good at analysing them and seeing subtext and nuances. With this film, however, it was different. I seem not to have taken all that much notice of it. Consequently, I thought it was a film, in which, the acting was undeniably good, but, which, in terms of story and emotion and other subtleties, was lacking. I don't mind telling you that I was wrong. Very wrong.
Far from lacking anything, Lost In Translation is a wonderful film. It starts off as a gentle fish-out-of-water comedy, and becomes a funny, moving and melancholic musing on loneliness. It's a rather poetic and beautiful piece of work.
½ April 29, 2017
Movie about two Americans in Tokyo who meet by chance and spend the week together having a good time. I usually enjoy these types of movies but this one bored me to tears. I just didn't believe a hot chick like Scarlet would EVER hang out with an old man like Bill. Not happening.
April 25, 2017
Bill Murray's best movie. Scarlett Johanson's best movie. Sofia Copolla's best movie. Music is amazing too. 10/10
April 25, 2017
favorite movie ever!!!!
April 24, 2017
It takes a whole lot of effort for a film to feel this effortless. The story is entirely dependent on the two stars' performances, and their abilities to keep us invested even when the plot thins down to such events as sitting at a bar, alone at four in the morning.

And that's what's special about "Lost in Translation." It's very small and it's very simple, but there's such care and love put into every scene by the entire cast and crew that everything matters.