Lost In Translation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost In Translation Reviews

½ December 9, 2017
Sofia´s Coppola Simple Yet Powerful Script Comes To a Sad Life Through The Performances Of Murray and Johansson, With The Movie Itself Ranging From Hilarious To Extremely Moving
½ December 6, 2017
Sofia Coppola works subtly and produces an efficient and succinct romantic comedy-drama. A Reductionist perspective would describe this as a film about friendship. Despite this being labelled a romance, I have my doubts as to Coppola's dedication to pure Romanticism. The primary Romantic notion in this film is the Woody Allen-like age difference between Bob and Charlotte. The cinematography gives an impression of Romanticism by using lots of close shots that imply intimacy to these characters. Even though we get to see the characters sitting and laying around in their underwear and bathrobes, doesn't mean it's Romantic intimacy. Sitting around in one's underwear could literally mean if you're not dressed, you're not going anywhere. Especially if one has been sitting around in one's underwear long enough they're getting too tight and becoming see-through. Whether the intimacy is ours, or whether the close shots are their intimacy, or instead a representation of their limited ability to interact in the greater community, is what makes the technique's usage interesting.
Two Americans in a foreign country staying in a Western-themed hotel, it seems unsurprising Bob and Charlotte would be drawn to one another by a sense of familiarity, especially as English speakers. Bob is having personal family issues and some kind of mid-life crisis (esp. after pausing when Charlotte asks him if he's bought a Porsche. Did he and didn't admit it?). He's in Japan promoting whiskey, where it's difficult for him to communicate with the Japanese crew. He's especially distanced from his children, not only physically but emotionally, even forgetting his son's birthday, and later showing no sign that he's attempting to make up for it. His wife prompts their conversations. Instead of enjoying a conversation with his family, he appears as much an outsider to them as he does being a Westerner in Japan as they discuss house renovations. Having several days of down-time waiting for a TV appearance, and distanced from his family, he has days to ponder and find distractions, though he has no friends, acquaintances, or colleagues in Japan. Charlotte is a philosophy graduate who is stuck in liminal space, and made the mistake of not entering (though we don't know if she applied to) a Graduate program. She's briefly moved to Japan with her husband, a busy photographer, and she's unemployed and clearly bored out of her mind. Unemployment keeps her from the hectic call of preoccupation, and keeps her distant from her husband and his friends, including moments of social conversation where her husband's friends' topics are fast-changing and don't interest her. Her connection with her family is literally and emotionally distant as well. In her one family conversation, Charlotte weeps as she talks to her mother, who seems to ignore her small moment of doubt, though we are unsure of their past or present relationship.
While Bob and Charlotte are both in a liminal space and disconnected, they are operating at the same pace, the thing they have in common is a bout of insomnia probably due to inactivity, and seemingly having nothing in common with anyone else. As it turns out, Charlotte does know people in Japan, and contacts them (why she didn't beforehand, we don't know), inviting Bob along for the evening. Charlotte's friends are Japanese (how she knows them, we don't learn), and they visit local nightclubs. Bob and Charlotte develop a stronger relationship, and due to a minor altercation, one bar tender chases them off firing some kind of kids' gun at them (whatever that thing is), they are momentarily separated from the group until they get back together and meet up for karaoke, where they're better able to integrate into some part of the culture.
Their relationship progresses to the point where they are comfortable enough around each other to sit and drink sake until they can discuss their personal issues and finally sleep. While there are romantic undertones, their relationship is more platonic and familial. Charlotte develops a relationship with Bob like she's missing a parental or familiar figure, considering her mother is unable or unwilling to console her from a distance and her husband is busy. Bob, being dissociated from his children and wife, his wife being in control of the household decisions, relates to Charlotte as an amalgamation of his wife and kids. He has some attraction to Charlotte, but finds physical intimacy with the lounge singer instead, and Charlotte is not maintaining domesticity like his wife, but is a friend. Bob also is learning consolation and guidance using experienced insight, practicing a mentoring relationship with another person in a way he apparently does not or cannot with his own children. Their bond appears to be what both need in that moment.
LOST IN TRANSLATION plays like a literary vignette, where both characters wander off in the end with unresolved issues.
November 26, 2017
Fun, light, realistic, sad, thought-provoking and guarding movie.
1-time movie for sure, but not a waste of time.
November 4, 2017
A rare jewel which I appreciate even more after going to Japan...Moving and captivating.
October 27, 2017
Amazing film. Great chemistry between Murray and Johansson and the Japanese scenery is unique and tantalizing.
October 7, 2017
Beautiful, moving, Coppola
September 27, 2017
The film is not crazy complicated, actually it's very simple and very convincing in portraying loneliness. It is a sequence of beautiful shots, comedic scenes that make you chuckle, and scenes of hoplesness that don't really sadden you, but make you question yourself. This protagonist duo is indeed not a conventional one, just like these people are not in real life, but it works, they work, maybe it's because of the circumstances, maybe not. The film is constantly trying to portray loneliness and does it in quite a realistic way, but that's where it falls short as a film, it becomes a bit dull. Nevertheless, the film does what it is supposed to do. Tokyo looked beautiful too.
September 17, 2017
So interesting. Good, but sad, but happy in a very weird way. I don't know what to think about it.
September 16, 2017
Stunning film with a subtle and touching plot.
½ September 8, 2017
Inteligente, graciosa y llena de pequeños detalles que hacen que sea un filme interesante e inolvidable. Muchos hurras para Sofia Coppola.
½ August 30, 2017
A very funny and very touching movie it is a great film, and its great work of art as well.
July 26, 2017
Lost in Translation is directed and written by Sofia Coppola, and it stats Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson in a dramedy about a movie star that went to Tokyo to do a commercial for a type of whisky, but knows nothing of the Japanese language and is having a bit of a midlife crisis, while he come across a wife that came to Tokyo because of her husband who's a photographer, and she's not sure of the marriage life that's she's having, while also having nothing else to do that's going on in her life. I remember that I've seen this on Netflix, and actually enjoyed it, but I didn't really know why, although I remembered the whispering scene, which is pretty much the most famous scene of the film. So after seeing this, Lost in Translation is an excellent film that really brought the best out of Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson. Bill Murray is fantastic in it that shows his usual deadpan, which I know the writing is made for that as Sofia Coppola actually wrote this movie for him to be in, while giving off some of the drama elements that works for his character as he's just lost, and is just doing what he can for money, even if he doesn't like doing some of the stuff that gives him money. Scarlett Johansson is also great in this, which I believe that this is the movie that made her well-known as she wasn't in films before this that a lot of people went to go see, and this movie shows the showcase of her talents as an actress by making it a subtle performance, especially for the chemistry between the main characters as you're not quite sure if they are going to be together in the end or not. The movie does a good job of showing some of the lifestyles that Japan citizens do in their everyday lives, and it doesn't portray them in a negative way. It's got some gorgeous shots of Japan, and the conversations between the main characters felt really genuine that you're in there, listening in to their conversations. It also does a great job of showing the challenges that an American person has to go through when they know nothing about the foreign language, and I actually know a lot about the characters here than I did with Sofia's previous film The Virgin Suicides, so it's nice to see improvements. When there are moments that you wonder if they are going in that direction, and it actually mostly doesn't give you a clear answer, which more or less gives in to your interpretation in it, which I thought was really clever as it's from the perspective of Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray's characters and you know as much as they do. Lost in Translation is probably one of my favorites that created human people out of these characters, and I love that in a film with a great script, direction, and acting that comes in as tight as it can be in a good way.
July 14, 2017
Friendly film. A change from meeting, shagging, breaking up, killing someone.
July 1, 2017
Lost in Translation is a charming yet thoughtful movie, tinged with a beautiful sense of melancholy, a very human ennui communicated through the superb acting of Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson (both of them should do more movies like this).
June 27, 2017
A very touching story with a somber ending, Murray and Johansson work beautifully in this film. Beautiful shots of Tokyo fill the screen and left me breathless at times. The film doesn't feel as long as I expected it to, but it still takes its time in a few areas. There is a very surprising amount of humor here, and I found myself laughing quite a bit more than I imagined at this film. Everyone else in the film aside from the two leads were simply not super interesting characters, although the film seems to know this by not focusing on anyone but the leads. I'm not sure if this is something I'd consider buying, but it is far from a bad film, and one that I will remember for a while after I see this, and may yearn to view again
½ June 20, 2017
This slow paced romantic comedy certainly has an attention-grabbing opening. Murray is at his dead-pan best in the early part of this film which includes some very funny moments. But it slows further and a minimal plot results in some tedious and drawn-out scenes. AAN GGWC. 1001
June 2, 2017
Two lost, lonely people having a brief encounter similar to those of what you see in the 'Before' trilogy. It's beautiful and subtle. Sofia Coppola definitely knows how it is done in the film industry.
½ May 30, 2017
Good film. It is slow and kinda boring but that's the idea
½ May 23, 2017
Unwatchable. One of the few movies I've seen that was so painful I walked out.
½ May 10, 2017