Lost In Translation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost In Translation Reviews

½ March 23, 2018
Anche se inizialmente può sembrare un film strano, apatico e piatto sotto l'aspetto emotivo, più il film va avanti e più si intuisce che c'è molto di più di quello che appare nelle immagini. Soprattutto nella seconda parte della pellicola traspare un messaggio molto intenso e romantico che esplode in un finale amaro e rassegnato. La storia è molto semplice e lineare, ma è proprio la sua semplicità a coinvolgere e rendere l'esperienza vicina e condivisibile dallo spettatore. Il tutto viene diretto con uno stile molto preciso, dolce e toccante che valorizza il lavoro della talentuosa regista.
March 19, 2018
Potentially the most perfectly shot, acted, directed, and written film of all time.
March 13, 2018
subtle, ephemeral and incredibly beautiful in its simplicity. one of the best movies of all time.
February 18, 2018
Maravilhoso. Apaixonante.
February 17, 2018
This movie is a masterpiece! I cannot believe how Sofia Coppola went on making mediocre movies after this...
February 12, 2018
beautiful pictures. calm and quiet mood. great
February 8, 2018
I am really disappointed with myself when it comes to this movie. I watch a lot of movies, and I usually make decisions about my view of them pretty quickly, as I think I have become fairly good at analysing them and seeing subtext and nuances. With this film, however, it was different. I seem not to have taken all that much notice of it. Consequently, I thought it was a film, in which, the acting was undeniably good, but, which, in terms of story and emotion and other subtleties, was lacking. I don't mind telling you that I was wrong. Very wrong.
Far from lacking anything, Lost In Translation is a wonderful film. It starts off as a gentle fish-out-of-water comedy, and becomes a funny, moving and melancholic musing on loneliness. It's a rather poetic and beautiful piece of work.
February 1, 2018
A perfect blend of an unconventional romance and romp around an intriguing city. Bill Murray is at his best as a washed-up actor doing a commercial in a foreign country and Scarlett Johansson plays a neglected wife who meet in a city where they both feel out of place. The chemistry they have is enchanting and their affection for attention is a beautiful microcosm of how people feel about each other. I highly recommend this movie... three thumbs up... LOL
January 24, 2018
Again in Sofia Coppola movie, the feeling is more important then the plot. Being so well acted, and well placed (Tokyo is the 3rd main actor) this time I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the slow pace.
January 21, 2018
Great fantastic awesome phenomenal movie starring bill Murray and scarlet Johansson and directed by Sofia Coppola. I had a blast with this movie and I enjoyed every second of it. A young scarlet Johansson and a fairly old but still a great actor bill Murray and this movie setting place in Japan makes this movie better overall by 10 times. I can't wait to watch this masterpiece again.
January 15, 2018
I like so many things about this film, but one of the main things I liked was how it relied on friendship rather than romance to bond us to characters. This should have won the Oscar for Best Picture, as I just couldn't get into Lord of the Rings.
January 13, 2018
welcome to tokyo..

Lost In Translation

Sophia's witty writing sense about juggling emotions between the characters is not only projected beautifully but also acted out magically on the screen for it be a semi-comic scene or a disappointment about the separation. Lost In Translation is a very mild movie which touches just the perfect chords that a simple drama in a theatre does.
January 2, 2018
Like most of my favorite movies, this is not for everyone. A lot of what I found brilliant about this film will strike as horrible film making in others. The best parts of this movie in my mind, are Bill Murray's performance and the pacing. Murray's performance in this movie is the height of deadpan humor. The pacing is perfect, the shots are beautiful, Scarlett Johansson is wonderful, and the characters are lovable. This is wonderful, a deadpan romance.
December 31, 2017
A visually beautiful film about love, friendship and isolation.
½ December 30, 2017
Two hours of my life I will never get back. Love the cast, but this is the most boring movie ever...
December 30, 2017
Poignantly melancholic.
Ironically romantic.
Beautifully shot, great casting.
Sofia Coppola's greatest work.
December 27, 2017
Some times is hard to know where the film goes, but the rareness of Bob and Charlotte somehow keeps the things going. The enigmatic ending is also something to be grateful for.
December 17, 2017
This movie doesn't follow typical storylines. There are no heroes. There are no villains. There are no action sequences. There are no plot twists. There are no explosions. There's none of that. This movie is just a simple, slow pace, and yet hilarious story where two people meet and become friends over the next few days. This kind of story is a well-executed effort by Miss Sofia Coppola, and is well performed by Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson.
½ December 9, 2017
Sofia´s Coppola Simple Yet Powerful Script Comes To a Sad Life Through The Performances Of Murray and Johansson, With The Movie Itself Ranging From Hilarious To Extremely Moving
½ December 6, 2017
Sofia Coppola works subtly and produces an efficient and succinct romantic comedy-drama. A Reductionist perspective would describe this as a film about friendship. Despite this being labelled a romance, I have my doubts as to Coppola's dedication to pure Romanticism. The primary Romantic notion in this film is the Woody Allen-like age difference between Bob and Charlotte. The cinematography gives an impression of Romanticism by using lots of close shots that imply intimacy to these characters. Even though we get to see the characters sitting and laying around in their underwear and bathrobes, doesn't mean it's Romantic intimacy. Sitting around in one's underwear could literally mean if you're not dressed, you're not going anywhere. Especially if one has been sitting around in one's underwear long enough they're getting too tight and becoming see-through. Whether the intimacy is ours, or whether the close shots are their intimacy, or instead a representation of their limited ability to interact in the greater community, is what makes the technique's usage interesting.
Two Americans in a foreign country staying in a Western-themed hotel, it seems unsurprising Bob and Charlotte would be drawn to one another by a sense of familiarity, especially as English speakers. Bob is having personal family issues and some kind of mid-life crisis (esp. after pausing when Charlotte asks him if he's bought a Porsche. Did he and didn't admit it?). He's in Japan promoting whiskey, where it's difficult for him to communicate with the Japanese crew. He's especially distanced from his children, not only physically but emotionally, even forgetting his son's birthday, and later showing no sign that he's attempting to make up for it. His wife prompts their conversations. Instead of enjoying a conversation with his family, he appears as much an outsider to them as he does being a Westerner in Japan as they discuss house renovations. Having several days of down-time waiting for a TV appearance, and distanced from his family, he has days to ponder and find distractions, though he has no friends, acquaintances, or colleagues in Japan. Charlotte is a philosophy graduate who is stuck in liminal space, and made the mistake of not entering (though we don't know if she applied to) a Graduate program. She's briefly moved to Japan with her husband, a busy photographer, and she's unemployed and clearly bored out of her mind. Unemployment keeps her from the hectic call of preoccupation, and keeps her distant from her husband and his friends, including moments of social conversation where her husband's friends' topics are fast-changing and don't interest her. Her connection with her family is literally and emotionally distant as well. In her one family conversation, Charlotte weeps as she talks to her mother, who seems to ignore her small moment of doubt, though we are unsure of their past or present relationship.
While Bob and Charlotte are both in a liminal space and disconnected, they are operating at the same pace, the thing they have in common is a bout of insomnia probably due to inactivity, and seemingly having nothing in common with anyone else. As it turns out, Charlotte does know people in Japan, and contacts them (why she didn't beforehand, we don't know), inviting Bob along for the evening. Charlotte's friends are Japanese (how she knows them, we don't learn), and they visit local nightclubs. Bob and Charlotte develop a stronger relationship, and due to a minor altercation, one bar tender chases them off firing some kind of kids' gun at them (whatever that thing is), they are momentarily separated from the group until they get back together and meet up for karaoke, where they're better able to integrate into some part of the culture.
Their relationship progresses to the point where they are comfortable enough around each other to sit and drink sake until they can discuss their personal issues and finally sleep. While there are romantic undertones, their relationship is more platonic and familial. Charlotte develops a relationship with Bob like she's missing a parental or familiar figure, considering her mother is unable or unwilling to console her from a distance and her husband is busy. Bob, being dissociated from his children and wife, his wife being in control of the household decisions, relates to Charlotte as an amalgamation of his wife and kids. He has some attraction to Charlotte, but finds physical intimacy with the lounge singer instead, and Charlotte is not maintaining domesticity like his wife, but is a friend. Bob also is learning consolation and guidance using experienced insight, practicing a mentoring relationship with another person in a way he apparently does not or cannot with his own children. Their bond appears to be what both need in that moment.
LOST IN TRANSLATION plays like a literary vignette, where both characters wander off in the end with unresolved issues.