Lost In Translation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost In Translation Reviews

½ June 20, 2017
This slow paced romantic comedy certainly has an attention-grabbing opening. Murray is at his dead-pan best in the early part of this film which includes some very funny moments. But it slows further and a minimal plot results in some tedious and drawn-out scenes. AAN GGWC. 1001
June 2, 2017
Two lost, lonely people having a brief encounter similar to those of what you see in the 'Before' trilogy. It's beautiful and subtle. Sofia Coppola definitely knows how it is done in the film industry.
½ May 30, 2017
Good film. It is slow and kinda boring but that's the idea
½ May 23, 2017
Unwatchable. One of the few movies I've seen that was so painful I walked out.
½ May 10, 2017
I don't like melancholy
May 3, 2017
I am really disappointed with myself when it comes to this movie. I watch a lot of movies, and I usually make decisions about my view of them pretty quickly, as I think I have become fairly good at analysing them and seeing subtext and nuances. With this film, however, it was different. I seem not to have taken all that much notice of it. Consequently, I thought it was a film, in which, the acting was undeniably good, but, which, in terms of story and emotion and other subtleties, was lacking. I don't mind telling you that I was wrong. Very wrong.
Far from lacking anything, Lost In Translation is a wonderful film. It starts off as a gentle fish-out-of-water comedy, and becomes a funny, moving and melancholic musing on loneliness. It's a rather poetic and beautiful piece of work.
½ April 29, 2017
Movie about two Americans in Tokyo who meet by chance and spend the week together having a good time. I usually enjoy these types of movies but this one bored me to tears. I just didn't believe a hot chick like Scarlet would EVER hang out with an old man like Bill. Not happening.
April 25, 2017
Bill Murray's best movie. Scarlett Johanson's best movie. Sofia Copolla's best movie. Music is amazing too. 10/10
April 25, 2017
favorite movie ever!!!!
April 24, 2017
It takes a whole lot of effort for a film to feel this effortless. The story is entirely dependent on the two stars' performances, and their abilities to keep us invested even when the plot thins down to such events as sitting at a bar, alone at four in the morning.

And that's what's special about "Lost in Translation." It's very small and it's very simple, but there's such care and love put into every scene by the entire cast and crew that everything matters.
½ April 18, 2017
Not just a melancholy story, this is a depressing and somewhat boring one. And just where did that one night stand, about which we saw only the scantiest details, fit in?I like Bill murray so this was a BIG disappointment.
½ April 11, 2017
Lost in Translation is a lovely, moody, melancholy film, with a wonderful downbeat score to enhance the atmosphere. It also features possibly the best and most reserved Bill Murray performance ever. Murray's subtlety fits the equal subtlety of the film's moments of humour and emotion. This film is more about the raw feelings and the pathos that it manages to evoke through its wonderful visuals, score, and performances than it is about a complex plot.

This tale is about culture shock, with Murray playing an unhappily married, ageing Hollywood star called Bob Harris, in Tokyo to film a lucrative whisky commercial. He wants an escape from the intensity and alien nature of his newfound environment - the culture shock and Murray's deadpan acting are where the humour comes from - and a temporary escape from his passionless marriage. He finds this through an unlikely source, Charlotte, a young newlywed seemingly regretting her marriage. The two strike up a friendship, one which blossoms in a nuanced manner, with little dialogue, but an unspoken connection.

Do they love each other, or are they just using one another as an excuse to momentarily escape the reality of their lives? This is what makes their dynamic so interesting, as we can never truly pin down the nature of their relationship. The famous ending, in which Bob whispers inaudible words to Charlotte, emphasises the mysterious and ambiguous nature of their bond. The title 'Lost in Translation' refers to both the differing cultural landscape and the lack of clarity in their relationship.

Equally emotive and funny, and with revelatory performances from two of Hollywood's most loved stars, this is a film that proves that Sofia Coppola is not just a relative of her father, Francis, but a director with her own staggering artistic vision, capable of creating her own brand of beautiful cinema. What we have here is something truly unique and touching.
½ April 7, 2017
We are alone in our own world's we create, venturing onto another world we find its harder to adapt. Somethings we see eye to eye, and understand one another through some mental translation. Somethings we don't see eye to eye because we haven't seen or don't know. Somethings we don't have to understand, but make sense, we just get it and enjoy it. That path to communication we seek, we are able to find, able to be seen, recognized and understand and we don't find and remain invisible. No one notices or pays attention when life is so busy. When paying attention is so hard when we are distracted with the lights and sounds of the world, entertained, focused on other things, our images, our scores, our job,
When we understand ourselves so well, we don't either like or like.
When we are important or made to look that way, then we naturally draw people's attention. When someone pays attention to ourselves when they are in that same point in their life as you, "having no clear direction". but some directions we go, we just end up seeing each other. Naturally we just invite, introduce, and discuss who we are in order to meet people and connect with one another. When you don't know where life wpi.d take you when your open to venturing new worlds, you just go with the flow, escape reality into fantasy, and in between find your true calling that's waiting at the end of your trip. Some world's we share where we have been, in this gateway into indulgences of partying, rocking out and drugs. Something yearning deep within us we wish we could just let out.
When venturing into other world's we forget that our world needs us, we neglect it. Sometimes we are able to bring our world into another world and make it more easier to live, comfortable to pass the time, Somethings we like to keep it the same way and other times we like it different. When we cohabit, and learn to adapt to their ways and bring our own ways in the mix, we become hard to understand and unfamiliar. Sometimes cohabiting can mean it's all about ourselves or about others and rarely both. Sometimes it's better to remain seen with others and other times invisible with the other cohabitants we wish not to live this world with. Being aliens in a worldly planet or being humans in an alien planet. What bridges both worlds together is what focus & lense we use to learn about each other, notice each other and have some common ground to live by.
Being alone in this foreign world, we learn whom we are, this soul we enrich, of likes and dislikes, knowledge, identity, position, and life.
Being recognized from another world, but distant in your own world makes the return trip seem unwanted. There are plenty of likes and dislikes we consider about both worlds, we just can't live without, but can't have both, that revert to whom we are and hiding it deep within ourselves, waiting for the next trip to enrich it within ourselves. We have obligations, we have to live by and cannot give up. We must put others ahead of ourselves own happiness. There is no time to dig deep about the questions, the actions, or feelings we have of what escape we did, it's scarier to know the truth, when its obligations we have to follow.
When the cohabit we live with enrich our lives so much, that this person we kept hidden, flourishes. The one souvenir we both wish we could take back. But we are just a flight away to say goodbye forever. Long lasting soul mates.
½ March 31, 2017
is it wrong that I really really want them to get together??
March 14, 2017
Should rewatch it, dont remember it so well
March 7, 2017
Potentially the most perfectly shot, acted, directed, and written film of all time.
March 7, 2017
I just don't see the appeal of this movie. The acting is solid and the visuals are pleasant, but the movie is unbelievably boring and goes nowhere. There's literally thousands of movies more interesting than this.
½ March 5, 2017
This movie is just too slow for my liking. Coincidentally I am a foreigner living in Japan but I can't 100% be in the same shoes as them.
March 3, 2017
What would this movie be without Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson? Boring but, fortunately they are in this movie!
February 27, 2017
The "How it was made" bonus feature was better than the actual film.