Lost In Translation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost In Translation Reviews

January 14, 2017
Bill Murray seems to be taking on more serious and dramatic roles lately. In this movie he plays a has-been actor who goes to Japan to film some whisky commercials. There he befriends a fellow American, a young woman played by Scartett Johansson who's husband is too busy with work to spend any time with her.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 24, 2016
This is one of the most grossly overrated films of all time. It's simple plot, simple screenplay and light dialogue must have taken the groupthink of Hollywood critics by surprise to have showered such praise on an amateurish film. I am certain that the producers were as surprised as I was that the $4M budget movie went on to make $120M at the box office, and win Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Screenplay. She was nominated for Best Director in this, her 2nd only feature, at the time when Martin Scorcese had never won an Oscar as a director in his career - absolutely shameful. Do you think her father Francis had anything to do with it?

Bill Murray takes a serious turn in much non-acting and little dialogue here. I remember feeling angrily frustrated with the ending when I saw this at the theatre. However, the feeling dissipated as quickly as it came after I realized the film was not worth such emotional investment.
½ December 21, 2016
Lost in translation is a good film but in my opinion it doesn't have anything special enough for it to be great. The acting is compelling and convincing while Coppola's direction, behind the camera, is good and I thought it was a fascinating character study for the most part but the movie should have been braver with its choices. It keeps hinting at something happening between Murray and Johansson but nothing serious ever actually materialises, despite their chemistry. Slightly underwhelmed for what I was expecting.
½ December 11, 2016
Awful! boring, don't waste your time in watching this. Those who put five stars will have to explain the hype to me! Not entertaining at all by any means. Avoid for your own sake
November 28, 2016
Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson carry the film nicely.
½ October 7, 2016
When the lonely hearts meet, situation happens.
½ September 29, 2016
One of the most boring and pointless movies I've ever seen. The characters have no depth, the film is nearly devoid of humor, and the ending leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Perhaps the only redeeming thing about the film is the glimpse into urban Japanese culture that it glosses over. However, it's nowhere near as culturally relevant as a film like Mr. Baseball. Unless you want to gawk at Scar-Jo's butt for 30 seconds in the opening credits, skip this movie.
½ September 28, 2016
A beautiful looking movie about two people lost in all ways possible, they're in a different country from theirs, they don't know the language, they're trying to find sense and meaning in life, and then they found each other and everything seems like never before. The performances by Johansson and Murray are incredible, as well as the script and photography.
½ September 28, 2016
Just sit down on your couch and enjoy this graceful and unconventional romantic story between a troubled Bill Murray and a young Scarlett Johansson at their best potentials.
Written and directed by an inspired Sofia Coppola.
September 13, 2016
La historia es bonita, una historia de amor indirecto, las actuaciones de Bill Murray y Scarlett Johanson son muy buenas, y poco a poco nos vamos dando cuenta de un amor creciendo pero indiscretamente, esto hace que la película sea más entretenida, y que los personajes tengan un arco muy interesante.
August 31, 2016
I'm in love with this movie, the greatest motion picture of the 21st century so far.
August 28, 2016
Sofia Coppola's melodrama combines masterful directing with a powerful performance by Bill Murray, artfully composing a story of loneliness and connection amid the urban isolation of early 2000s Tokyo. Using a delicate touch, Ms. Coppola beautifully balances a physically overflowing metropolis with the deep-seated emptiness felt by her characters, all while keeping audiences engaged in the relatively simple, but wonderfully rich, plot. Lost in Translation is emotional without being clich, giving viewers a subtle love story that is both relatable and iridescent.

Bob (Bill Murray) and Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson) are two lost souls repeatedly finding themselves, and each other, in the bar of an upscale all-inclusive hotel in the wee hours of the night. Facing similar feelings of displacement, Bob, a jaded, washed-up actor shooting Japanese whiskey commercials, struggles with a mid-life crisis, and Charlotte, a young college grad faced with unappealing career choices, tries to find her place in the world. Although both of the jet-lagged companions face failing marriages, with Bob's wife acerbically raising a family alone and Charlotte's husband shallowly ignoring her quiet pleas for engagement, the two remain respectfully distant from one another. While this use of honest restraint, rather than dramatic advances, may not leave viewers with sappy tears, Lost in Translation offers an emotionally richer experience than the typical Hollywood heartbreak.

The soft chemistry enjoyed by Murray and Johansson shines in the film's wealth of subtle moments, which aggregate to build an undemanding intensity that is both relatable to audiences and personal to the characters. By maintaining remarkable thematic consistency, Ms. Coppola satisfies even the most critical viewers through artistically balanced shots, the ethereal quality her setting provides, and the dream-like atmosphere she gives to Bob and Charlotte's unfolding relationship. From hearty laughs such as Bob's game of Twister with an overenthusiastic hooker to quiet heartaches like the inaudible whisper in the midst of a packed Shibuya sidewalk, Lost in Translation is as good a romance movie as any.
½ August 21, 2016
Sorry but, I did not like this too much. It felt a bit too forced from the beginning and even as jokes it felt flat for me. After that, the film seemed to rehash some 70s ideas about liberty, women lib theme. The right to fool around with anyone they meet. In another country, the choice being limited... I wasn't moved. I still think Sofia is cool though. Good effort. A french film.
August 6, 2016
This film was better than I expected, Scar-Jo hardly dissapoints.
July 23, 2016
A beautiful reflection on life, love, and what ifs. Well acted and filled with emotions. The writing, direction, story telling and acting were all superb. It almost makes me look past Sofia in The Godfather 3.
½ July 17, 2016
Ambient, heartwarming, and breathtaking visually. Love the characters, cinematography, and the humor.
½ July 16, 2016
Very charming and well executed story of loneliness highlighted by visually striking showcase of Japan and its culture.
July 15, 2016
The undeniable chemistry between Murray & Johansson along with the fantastic plot and warm tone makes this film about a romance of two friends (not lovers) a classic.