Lost In Translation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost In Translation Reviews

May 12, 2018
When a famous actor hops over to Tokyo to shoot a commercial, he meets a young woman that fills an empty void in his life.

Acting: 10

Beginning: 10
My son hates dramas and rightfully so as he's a thirteen-year-old boy. He wants to see things blowing up and people getting thrown through walls. Yet somehow, the first ten minutes of Lost In Translation sucked him in as much as it did me prompting him to watch the whole thing. From the time he touches down in Tokyo, Bob Harris (Bill Murray) sucks you in and holds on to your attention for dear life. You're anxious to see what this man is going to do next.

Characters: 10
Staying on Bob for a moment, his character made the film. His dry sense of humor and pure disinterest in everything going on around him is so sincere and captured just perfectly. He's torn between his sense of duty with work and family, so much so that he's almost forgotten how to enjoy life. When Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson) comes along, everything changes for him. Charlotte is innocent and sweet and is somehow drawn to Bob like a moth to a flame. Like most "opposites attract" relationships, the two fit extremely well together and add a sense of appeal to the film. Watching them both interact with the Japanese people and try to bridge cultural and language gaps was easy comedy that works everytime.

Cinematography/Visuals: 10

Conflict: 7

Genre: 10

Memorability: 9
There are a number of memorable scenes that stick out in my head with a couple of favorites I keep replaying. The first is where he's trying to shoot his commercial. The director is trying to relay something to Bob in Japanese which a translator is telling Bob in English. The scene is only five minutes long and had me cracking up from start to finish. In my other favorite scene, Bob has a run-in in his hotel room with a Japanese prostitute. Again, the language disparity makes the entire interaction one hilarious situation.

Outside of memorable scenes, Lost In Translation gives you a pause for introspection and contemplative thought. Oftentimes we wander aimlessly through the relationships in our lives...but what do they really mean? What are relationships without happiness or closeness? What is the real meaning of a connection?

Pace: 9

Plot: 10
Had this film's story taken place in North America somewhere, it wouldn't have been nearly as impactful. With the setting in Japan, it throws a monkey-wrench into a plot that could have been extremely simple and makes it way more intriguing. Are Bob and Charlotte truly falling for each other or are they just connecting because they are lonely and so far from home? Definite food for thought.

Resolution: 8
Ah, the famous ending of Lost In Translation. What did she say? What does it all mean? How does the story end anyway? The ending, while it does leave you hanging, is an intriguing one for sure. I understand the ambiguity and I don't love it, but I'm ok with it.

Overall: 92
Bill Murray is like the Marvel Cinematic Universe...on steroids. They have been putting out hits for a decade now. Murray has been starring in classics for decades. This film is another notch on his belt. Loved it!
½ April 28, 2018
Kind of interesting and kind of pointless.
½ April 20, 2018
There's no question why these characters are here. They exist in a void now, so separate from the lives they once knew that they manage to find comfort in complete strangers easier than in the things that tie them down. Anyway, the movie's great.
April 18, 2018
Sofia Coppola defines her style with Lost in Translation.

Sofia Coppola finds her own unique style of film making with her 2003 movie Lost in Translation. Every scene is beautifully shot with zoomed out establishing shots like the masters. Coppola loves tender close up shots that endear you to her characters and show so much emotion without anything spoken. Her panning shots stick to the actors and let us follow them around while they try to enjoy themselves in Japan.

Lost in Translation is a quiet blissful trip to Japan that takes the audience all around Tokyo. We get to see Japanese hotels, bars, restaurants, temples, clubs, karaoke joints, hospitals, strip clubs, and plenty more local spots. It's a cute look into another culture. Sofia Coppola captures another culture with a cool style all her own.

Bill Murray is at his best in Lost in Translation. He's a middle aged married man that appears miserable in Japan. Murray acts out his finest performance as the confused tourist and actor struggling to find enjoyment away from home. He's very funny and will keep you entertained by his quips.

Additionally, Murray expands his acting range into the dramatic during Lost in Translation as he must also depict a forlorn man out of his element. Murray plays the sad mope well so much so you'll think he is not actually having a good time. I think Lost in Translation prevails as one of the greatest films Bill Murray has ever been apart of to date.

The star of Lost in Translation is Scarlett Johansson as she plays the young wife to Giovanni Ribisi's character John. Ribisi is perfect as the negligent new husband that does not find interest in sweet wife. Ribisi plays the aloof photographer John that completely ignores Johansson's charming character Charlotte. Johansson depicts dejection quite well as she is clearly bored and uncertain about her feelings for her husband. Scarlett Johansson demonstrates she can act convincingly as Lost in Translation is arguably her finest role.

Overall, Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation is worth a watch. You'll laugh and relate to these characters that Coppola wrote so well. They feel so natural in their actions and feelings that you are sure to empathize with their emotions. Give it a chance!
April 15, 2018
I watched this in 2005 and was completely bemused, I found it slow, uninteresting and so bad as a film I eventually switched off . Ten years later looking for something to watch I decided to give it another try to maybe confirm how bad it was.
I watched and fell in love with the film, the music, the cinematography, the actors, the city and most of all the Director. I came to realise the way this film went from 1 star to 5 is more about me and how my life has changed in ten years .
April 14, 2018
Quite simply, an absolute masterpiece. IMO, this is not only one of the best films of the 2000 decade, but also for this entire generation. While great and amazing films are made every year, only a select few reach the heights that Sofia Coppola has achieved with Lost in Translation.

Not only does Bill Murray give one of the best performances of his career, but we also get an equally matched performance from the young and up and coming.Scarlett Johansson.I have seen this film MANY times and I still can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is about this film that I find so moving, which ultimately makes each viewing just as enjoyable as the last. If you have not seen Lost in Translation, you are missing out on on of the best films of this generation. Just pure brilliance!
½ April 7, 2018
Most disappointing movie I've ever seen. Totally boring
½ April 5, 2018
A quiet, meditative look at love and loneliness reinforced by Murray and Johansson's mesmerizing performances.
½ March 23, 2018
Anche se inizialmente può sembrare un film strano, apatico e piatto sotto l'aspetto emotivo, più il film va avanti e più si intuisce che c'è molto di più di quello che appare nelle immagini. Soprattutto nella seconda parte della pellicola traspare un messaggio molto intenso e romantico che esplode in un finale amaro e rassegnato. La storia è molto semplice e lineare, ma è proprio la sua semplicità a coinvolgere e rendere l'esperienza vicina e condivisibile dallo spettatore. Il tutto viene diretto con uno stile molto preciso, dolce e toccante che valorizza il lavoro della talentuosa regista.
March 19, 2018
Potentially the most perfectly shot, acted, directed, and written film of all time.
March 13, 2018
subtle, ephemeral and incredibly beautiful in its simplicity. one of the best movies of all time.
February 18, 2018
18.02.2018
Maravilhoso. Apaixonante.
February 17, 2018
This movie is a masterpiece! I cannot believe how Sofia Coppola went on making mediocre movies after this...
February 12, 2018
beautiful pictures. calm and quiet mood. great
February 8, 2018
I am really disappointed with myself when it comes to this movie. I watch a lot of movies, and I usually make decisions about my view of them pretty quickly, as I think I have become fairly good at analysing them and seeing subtext and nuances. With this film, however, it was different. I seem not to have taken all that much notice of it. Consequently, I thought it was a film, in which, the acting was undeniably good, but, which, in terms of story and emotion and other subtleties, was lacking. I don't mind telling you that I was wrong. Very wrong.
Far from lacking anything, Lost In Translation is a wonderful film. It starts off as a gentle fish-out-of-water comedy, and becomes a funny, moving and melancholic musing on loneliness. It's a rather poetic and beautiful piece of work.
February 1, 2018
A perfect blend of an unconventional romance and romp around an intriguing city. Bill Murray is at his best as a washed-up actor doing a commercial in a foreign country and Scarlett Johansson plays a neglected wife who meet in a city where they both feel out of place. The chemistry they have is enchanting and their affection for attention is a beautiful microcosm of how people feel about each other. I highly recommend this movie... three thumbs up... LOL
January 24, 2018
Again in Sofia Coppola movie, the feeling is more important then the plot. Being so well acted, and well placed (Tokyo is the 3rd main actor) this time I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the slow pace.
January 21, 2018
Great fantastic awesome phenomenal movie starring bill Murray and scarlet Johansson and directed by Sofia Coppola. I had a blast with this movie and I enjoyed every second of it. A young scarlet Johansson and a fairly old but still a great actor bill Murray and this movie setting place in Japan makes this movie better overall by 10 times. I can't wait to watch this masterpiece again.
January 15, 2018
I like so many things about this film, but one of the main things I liked was how it relied on friendship rather than romance to bond us to characters. This should have won the Oscar for Best Picture, as I just couldn't get into Lord of the Rings.
January 13, 2018
welcome to tokyo..

Lost In Translation

Sophia's witty writing sense about juggling emotions between the characters is not only projected beautifully but also acted out magically on the screen for it be a semi-comic scene or a disappointment about the separation. Lost In Translation is a very mild movie which touches just the perfect chords that a simple drama in a theatre does.