Lovely, Still Reviews

• Sep 27, 2017

Lovely, Still is a gentle film utterly worth watching, but when sitting down to view it, one should preferably know nothing about the film. (Except that the performances by veterans Ellen Burstyn (79) and Martin Landau (80) will steal your heart and, to some extent, break it.) Lovely, Still should be allowed to reveal itself to you when it is ready. In a nutshell I am going to lie to you. I am going to pretend Lovely, Still is about Robert and Mary meeting in their old age and falling in love. Watch the film! Mood of the film Mostly enchanting, yet completely tragic. Best one-liner "It's not me that is leaving you; it is you that is leaving me." Watch the film and you will understand why this is the pivotal line/scene in the film, one that does your head in! Best performance It's a tie. Stand-out scene When Mary opens the wrong Christmas present she discovers something both spine-chilling and heart-rending. Watch the film! Negatives The love story initially seems too good to be true and it is a tad too schmaltzy, which might tempt a few souls to lose interest. Don't! It is intentional and totally worth it. Watch the film! Is the film relevant today? I cannot tell you why this film is relevant today without giving away the plot and spoiling a great film and its relevance in this day and age. Watch the film! FYI Lovely, Still is rated PG for thematic material, mild language and brief smoking!

• Aug 11, 2017

Ellen Burstyn and Martin Landau are so natural and graceful, they make even the corniest and most telegraphed moments almost work...almost. A movie that hinges on its charm (which works) and its twist (which does NOT work), the melodramatic and maudlin soap opera story overbears the fantastic performances.

• Feb 02, 2017

gr8 3rd act career work the leads in this mature rom-dram

gr8 3rd act career work the leads in this mature rom-dram

• Jul 31, 2016

What a special love story.

What a special love story.

• May 31, 2016

I thought this was an loving and sad journey of aging love.

I thought this was an loving and sad journey of aging love.

• Oct 12, 2015

Feel good movies about an older couple...but wait, it is much more. You will find it is much more than it seems. Don't want to give a spoiler but definitely worth watching to he end. It will have much deeper meaning than at first glance. Great job of giving a great foundation for the surprise ending Terrific acting by all stars.

• Feb 20, 2015

It's a smart concept, however, the way they over-dramatize everything, especially when the twist is revealed kind of ruins the movie. I kind of figured out the twist halfway through the movie but was still interested in the relationship between Landau and Burstyn, so they didn't need to force-feed it down your throat. Still, Marty Landau gives a very impressive performance here.

• Jul 04, 2014

Thought it was sweet but had a twist at the end that got you thinking. She loved him through hard times and in the end he had peace.

• Nov 06, 2013

Plot/Summary,Martin Landau and Ellen Burstyn topline the debut of writer/director Nik Fackler in Lovely Still, a whimsical romance tale that follows an elderly grocery-store bagger (Landau) who experiences his first pangs of love in the form of Burstyn. Elizabeth Banks portrays the woman's daughter, while Adam Scott handles the role of the store's owner. My Review The tale of this is quite simple its about an elder man named Robert who go's on a date with his neighbor Mary and quickly falls in love with her. This is his bang in love and dosn't know much so he go's to his friend Mike for help. Throughout this movie i just feel good and well that's it. It's got great acing but not to well on the cinematography. Its a good flick and a feel good film and that's pretty much all i can say about it.

• May 20, 2013

Found this film very endearing....

Found this film very endearing....