Lowriders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lowriders Reviews

September 20, 2017
loved this flick being from the same car culture in LA this one really hit home
September 19, 2017
I just watched lowriders, and I thought it was an great movie. Great story! A must see.
August 26, 2017
Best movie I have ever seen I love the store line and show the amazing culture of lowriders
August 23, 2017
Lowriders probeert een ruige kijk te geven in de levens van automonteurs in Los Angeles, maar valt snel te kort vanwege het voorspelbare familiedrama dat voorrang neemt, waardoor de clichés al snel uit te zoeken zijn.
½ August 22, 2017
This movie is terrible.
July 3, 2017
Best Lowrider Movie Ive Seen In Years
July 2, 2017
It's good about the car area,
May 28, 2017
Proper Perspective: If this is the only line you read in this review then great - One of the best movies of 2017 through the month of May. This is a slice of life movie, so not a huge space opera or a super hero flick, just a look into the world of a family where cars, family, and loyalty are tested over time, with very tangible characters. Let's talk about Lowriders...

Official Synopsis: A young street artist in East Los Angeles is caught between his father's obsession with lowrider car culture, his ex-felon brother and his need for self-expression.

Plot: A slice of life looking at the Alvarez family, who get torn apart due to crime and death, turn to culture and lowriders to help bring them back together.

Take: The marketing for this movie probably pushed a lot of people away from seeing it and focused on one demographic, which is a shame. Overall this is one of the better told stories of the year. It is directed well by Ricardo de Montreuil, who by all accounts is making his feature debut in an English language film.

The script is put together well by Cheo Hodari Coker (Notorious, Luke Cage) and Elgin James, a relative newcomer.

This story follows Danny (Gabriel Chavarria) as he tries to connect with his father Miguel (Damian Bichir) who is a stern and specific man, and his older brother Francisco "Ghost" (Theo Rossi) who was recently released from prison. Miguel wants to keep his auto shop functional, but focusing on that has separated him from his family. Danny and Ghost become their fathers' rivals in the process and the family splinters, until a tragedy forces them to reflect.

As for the rest of the supporting cast they filled in well and nobody was out of their depth; Melissa Benoist (Supergirl, Whiplash), Yvette Monreal, Tony Revolori (The Grand Budapest Hotel, Dope), Eva Longoria (Desperate Housewives), Noel Guglimi (Training Day, Bruce Almighty), and Cress Williams (Friday Night Lights) were all very good.

Overall this movie was a nice change of pace from the big summer blockbusters and ridiculous car movies we see with the Fast & Furious franchise. A small story about family and the meaning of the cars to a culture.

Recommendation: Lowriders was not made for me. It was not marketed for me. But, in the end this was one of the better overall movies of the year so far. I'd highly recommend going out of your way to see this when it is available for you, whether it is in theaters, streaming, or on home video.

You ever hit switches?
May 27, 2017
4 Stars for Lowriders. The story of a graffiti artist, his lowrider artist father, and his just-out-of-prison brother, Lowriders paints a sympathetic, human story of a culture not many have been exposed to, and might have biases against. There is romance, family drama, and artistic expression, painted on the background of the lowrider scene. Some have said it is a film that tries to be Fast and Furious, but to me it was more about the family bonds of fathers and sons, and the desire to follow your dreams. The dialogue stumbled at times, but the story pulled me in. Eva Longoria and Theo Rossi deliver the most, but the cast as a whole carried me along for the lowride.
May 26, 2017
have not seen and does not sound like a very good movie....just something for teens to learn what not to do
May 25, 2017
it was OK. I would have liked to see a gang movie like "colors" in the 80s or american me" early 90"s
½ May 23, 2017
The story is there. The presentation is not. This could have been like Drink one or Bring It On, meaning it could have elevated interest in the subject matter,, but instead it will probably fall in the bargain bin next to Biker Boyz
May 22, 2017
I truly great story about an American sub-culture, woven into a compelling family story. Excellent acting!
May 22, 2017
Worst movie ever. The story line sucked but as much as the acting.
May 21, 2017
THIS IS AWESOME MOVIE ?? LOWRIDERS!
½ May 21, 2017
BEAUTIFUL CARS IN THIS MOVIE..... STORY PLOT COULD'VE BEEN BETTER.....
May 20, 2017
Finally, a well done Lowrider movie!
½ May 18, 2017
Looks great. Story is predictable and boring.
May 18, 2017
Love it, if your not so into lowrider culture , and cholo movies , this won't be the movie for you
½ May 18, 2017
Stereotypically horrendous, every Mexican stereotype put into one film to be glorified. Wanted to walk out mi ways. They even included a rosa de Guadalupe scene...