Lucky Number Slevin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lucky Number Slevin Reviews

April 10, 2017
As I continue my reviews with 501, I figured the best way to move forward was by taking a small step back to 2006 with Lucky Number Slevin. Nearly 11 years ago, Slevin was overshadowed by a plethora of other major milestones in the movie industry like Casino Royale, The Departed and Children of Men just to name a few. While none of it was difficult to predict and because it tried too hard to model itself off other movies of the same genre, Slevin takes a back seat to the aforementioned movies because of it's lack of desire to truly stand on its own.

Josh Hartnett has always been somewhat of an enigma to me. He's attractive enough to get the rom-com roles we've seen him in before, but not attractive enough to really make a dent in that genre. He's a bit baby faced for roles involving gangster or tough-guy issues, but he pulls off the desired cockiness with ease. So where Slevin succeeds is when they let his attitude run wild. They compliment that with an assuredly goofy performance from Lucy Liu and an almost comic-book-like appearance from Bruce Willis.

The plot is jumbled, and while we get some good background info on the proceedings to start the film, most of the "war" between Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley's dueling gangster bosses is left to the imagination. Instead of developing these two crime bosses, we get caricatures. Stanley Tucci's police detective really comes out of left field with his revelation in an unsatisfying way because of his lack of involvement with the rest of the characters outside of standard police work.

Lucky Number Slevin won't wow you with its plot or capture you with its imagery. The dialogue and interaction is just campy enough to put on a good show.
March 25, 2017
Good watch, but it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get used to the dialogue. It tries a bit too hard to be witty and cool but once you settle in it becomes fun. Hartnett, Willis, and Liu were all excellent in their performances.
March 23, 2017
Not bad, but the dialogue wasn't very real and the story was kind of weird and cheesy.
March 15, 2017
This movie had a lot of enjoyable elements. But I feel like the plot seemed a little too engineered. On the face of it it's an action comedy, but at times it takes itself too seriously and it has plenty of violence but very little action.

The most entertaining part of the movie is the interplay between the characters full of ridiculously funny one liners and come back's. But it seems like the direction of these performances are somewhat lacking, every interaction within the first 45 minutes of the movie seems like the same regurgitated Laurel and Hardy routine.

It's an OK flick with some snappy dialogue but I feel like the Writer is trying to pull off a magic trick that's not as impressive as he thinks which kind of brings down the film as a whole. But I'd say it's still worth a watch.
½ March 13, 2017
Brilliant! First class cast and a plot as tight as a ***** ***** ***** (nope, not sure what that stands for either - but it's tight). Keeps you guessing all the way through to the end. Clever and entertaining dialogue throughout.
March 4, 2017
it was ok not the best
March 2, 2017
5 stars aside from visual editing (180 line broken, etc)
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 10, 2017
Somewhat slow at parts and it was different than I expected. Good Though!
½ December 28, 2016
Quirky, yet entertaining. Stanley Tucci and Ben Kingsley are genius in their roles.
½ December 24, 2016
This movie confusing as hell!! I didn't like this movie at all !! It was good movie but crazy that it was two of them same guys the whole time. I think they were twins or maybe he went back in time. When they reveal an epic twist near the end , boy will it be an epic twist at the end that will leave you speachless!!! I really liked this movie a lot. There is an epic twist at the end that could leave you speechless . . . Or should I say, Slevin!! I didn't really understand this movie.
½ December 19, 2016
On the plus side: production values, interesting sets, photography, soundtrack, the "tone" of the film. On the negative side: Lucy Liu's character/performance was annoyingly unbelievable. It kept my interest for the most part. I was glad I saw it.
December 13, 2016
Decent movie. It was cheesy, which I didn't like. But, the ending was surprising. It was an okay movie, but not very memorable.
December 13, 2016
A Hell of a lot better than most of the stuff out there. It doesn't need to be time specific. All the actors are A+ and Lucy Liu is cute as a button.
½ December 11, 2016
2016-12-11 better than expected, sunopsis is wrong though. Lucy was good. Wallpaper was uniformly awful.
½ November 18, 2016
i love this movie a lot. great story. (5 viewings)
½ November 12, 2016
A stylish and clever brain teasy-thriller. Shame it wasn't clever enough to avoid all the cliches.
September 21, 2016
This is a lively great put together movie. With snappy dialog and a plot that will keep you guessing until the end. Highly recommended.
½ September 20, 2016
Great cast! I usually hate Josh Hartnett but he was ok here. There were a lot of humorous undertones and some cool twists.
September 11, 2016
Great story with good acting