Lucky Number Slevin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lucky Number Slevin Reviews

September 20, 2017
Enjoyed the twists. Even the ones you see
September 6, 2017
Deeply contrived but somewhat diverting absurdity
August 25, 2017
Don't understand why this movie doesn't have all of the support from the critics. This movie is an absolute thrill! A must watch for a fan of the sleight-of-hand.
August 6, 2017
A perfect example of when Rotten Tomatoes critics are out of touch with the real viewing audience. I saw this movie years ago and loved it, forgot about it and just watched it again and I think I'll have goosebumps for the rest of the evening. Fantastic movie, unexpected turns. Hard to follow for critics probably, but the general public doesn't seem to have trouble.
August 6, 2017
For a kick off Hartnett was a terrible choice for the lead. The twist is obvious from the get go. Kingsley and Freeman are great as always. It tries to be too clever and resorts to Tarantino type dialogue that doesn't work and at times seriously cringeworthy.
June 20, 2017
I thought this was a great movie. Started off great, got weird, and then ended strong. I was drawn to the set design and it's over the top wallpaper everywhere.
½ June 16, 2017
A long, twisting plot can sometimes take the film down a notch and make things rather confusing, but the ending is quite fascinating. Hartnett is a fine lead, but doesn't elevate the material in any way.
½ June 5, 2017
An extremely entertaining genre-jumper of a movie! Excellent dialogue, extremely nuanced characters, supreme cinematography and editing, and a story that with make you laugh, cry, and sh*t a brick at the same time! A must-see.
jamrcla
½ May 31, 2017
A brilliant film, That for most of it leaves you scratching your head and the plot feels like it could be a mistaken identity comedy film, But if you hang in there it's worth it as the plot unravels and it's full of great twists and turns and is very clever, All the cast were great I'm just surprised it didn't get more praise, It is one of them films where if you don't pay full attention it won't make sense as it's very detailed but it's great and definitely worth the watch.
May 29, 2017
Great acting, great story! Funny, interesting, suspenseful, sentimental... I thought this movie had it all. Thoroughly enjoyable.
April 10, 2017
As I continue my reviews with 501, I figured the best way to move forward was by taking a small step back to 2006 with Lucky Number Slevin. Nearly 11 years ago, Slevin was overshadowed by a plethora of other major milestones in the movie industry like Casino Royale, The Departed and Children of Men just to name a few. While none of it was difficult to predict and because it tried too hard to model itself off other movies of the same genre, Slevin takes a back seat to the aforementioned movies because of it's lack of desire to truly stand on its own.

Josh Hartnett has always been somewhat of an enigma to me. He's attractive enough to get the rom-com roles we've seen him in before, but not attractive enough to really make a dent in that genre. He's a bit baby faced for roles involving gangster or tough-guy issues, but he pulls off the desired cockiness with ease. So where Slevin succeeds is when they let his attitude run wild. They compliment that with an assuredly goofy performance from Lucy Liu and an almost comic-book-like appearance from Bruce Willis.

The plot is jumbled, and while we get some good background info on the proceedings to start the film, most of the "war" between Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley's dueling gangster bosses is left to the imagination. Instead of developing these two crime bosses, we get caricatures. Stanley Tucci's police detective really comes out of left field with his revelation in an unsatisfying way because of his lack of involvement with the rest of the characters outside of standard police work.

Lucky Number Slevin won't wow you with its plot or capture you with its imagery. The dialogue and interaction is just campy enough to put on a good show.
March 25, 2017
Good watch, but it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get used to the dialogue. It tries a bit too hard to be witty and cool but once you settle in it becomes fun. Hartnett, Willis, and Liu were all excellent in their performances.
March 23, 2017
Not bad, but the dialogue wasn't very real and the story was kind of weird and cheesy.
March 15, 2017
This movie had a lot of enjoyable elements. But I feel like the plot seemed a little too engineered. On the face of it it's an action comedy, but at times it takes itself too seriously and it has plenty of violence but very little action.

The most entertaining part of the movie is the interplay between the characters full of ridiculously funny one liners and come back's. But it seems like the direction of these performances are somewhat lacking, every interaction within the first 45 minutes of the movie seems like the same regurgitated Laurel and Hardy routine.

It's an OK flick with some snappy dialogue but I feel like the Writer is trying to pull off a magic trick that's not as impressive as he thinks which kind of brings down the film as a whole. But I'd say it's still worth a watch.
½ March 13, 2017
Brilliant! First class cast and a plot as tight as a ***** ***** ***** (nope, not sure what that stands for either - but it's tight). Keeps you guessing all the way through to the end. Clever and entertaining dialogue throughout.
March 4, 2017
it was ok not the best
March 2, 2017
5 stars aside from visual editing (180 line broken, etc)
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 10, 2017
Somewhat slow at parts and it was different than I expected. Good Though!
½ December 28, 2016
Quirky, yet entertaining. Stanley Tucci and Ben Kingsley are genius in their roles.