My Life in Pink (Ma Vie en Rose) Reviews

• Nov 23, 2018

This Belgian film has the best of intentions, but I question the need to show a child being relentlessly abused in order to make a point about trans peoples' right to live a fulfilled life. It follows the journey of a young trans girl who lives in an unaccepting family. There's uncomfortable amounts of transphobia and homophobia displayed by almost every character, but what I enjoyed about this movie was that the audience is encouraged to sympathise with the girl, and she isn't demonised for being transgender. I don't agree with movies constantly showing trans people in dangerous and violent situations (that's a conversation for another time), but you are meant to passionately disagree with the people hurting/attacking the child, which is worth... something, I guess. Watch this film if you're prepared for a lot of cishet ignorance and domestic abuse. There is, eventually, a happy ending.

• Nov 16, 2018

5/12/2019 This film is several years ahead in tackling a possibly very unusual topic back then: transsexuality. Ludo belonged to a family trying so hard to conform the the social norms while he was rather carefree about his condition, much to her parent's dismay. This would have been an excellent film if the ending wasn't so "convenient".

• Oct 25, 2018

Excellent film. It us as enchanting and heartfelt today as it was 20 years ago. Except back then it was brave as well.

• Mar 01, 2018

This is a very well acted, educational film. The film highlights the formation of gender identity in a very young boy who feels and thinks he is a girl. It is a powerful performance combining the actor's fantasies with his reality and the effects of his femininity on his family. This film must have been ground breaking 20 years ago. I am pleased to have seen it.

• Mar 09, 2014

A excepción del protagonista y su abuela, todos los personajes son insoportables.

• Feb 06, 2014

Trata um assunto muito complicado de forma sutil e fluida. As confusões mentais decorrentes da inocência de Ludovic são hilárias e todo o elenco está muito bem.

• Aug 10, 2012

Wonderful performance by the child lead but heavy handed and patchy. Trans America is worth seeing to comprare.

• Jul 30, 2012

MA Vie En Rose is a wonderful film about a young transsexual told beautifully through the eyes of a child and the film portrays the parents' struggle to accept and understand their child very well, even though the "happy ending" ending is maybe too unrealistic.

• Jul 01, 2012

underneath the kitschiness, a touching story that grabs you by the tear ducts. great casting for the ludovic character and hanna the mommy.

• May 16, 2012