Mad Detective Reviews

• Jan 03, 2016

I was able to catch up on a more recent Johnny To film via cable and I quite enjoyed Lau Ching Wan as the titular detective, who is able to see the true personalities of criminals, allowing him to solve increasingly strange cases. Well worth a look.

• Mar 01, 2015

a johnnie to's Psychopath Thriller with a Final Shootout Scene.

a johnnie to's Psychopath Thriller with a Final Shootout Scene.

• Jan 15, 2015

Wild and crazy ride in this Hong Kong thriller. Not surprised this made it onto the Tarantino Loves list on SBS Summer Movie list: http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/list/movies/collections/tarantino-loves#__federated=1

• Nov 19, 2014

Interesting movie and script. The cut is a bit messy and sometimes is difficult to follow but it is quite original and has a good ending.

• Aug 26, 2014

Review In A Nutshell: Mad Detective is simply put, a fun and engrossing film. It takes typical elements of a thriller-suspense film and coat it with a supernatural flavour, ultimately giving the audience a taste of something familiar but also be stunned in the process. Due to its supernatural element, the film was able to avoid becoming too predictable which I find valuable in a thriller film. One can simply fall in love with this film even without any great attention as many sections of the film explain the plot in order to keep its audience orientated, but in doing so one would be missing out in Mad Detective's beauty; the deeply-rooted character development. I was fascinated on the reasoning behind our protagonist, and along the way the film was able to throw me off the trails a couple of times with its spectacular twists; I was also impressed with the film sneaking a tiny element of Macbeth in its characters, but then again this may just be me. Though in saying all of this, the film's tone is not as serious or dire I make it out to be, as a couple moments in the first two acts were executed with a layer of comedy; with an individual like Bun, how could you not laugh. The main reason why this is slightly under perfection is that the ending is not as straight forward as I thought it would be, I wasn't able to completely comprehend the reasoning behind some of the character's decision and the underlying implications that the director was trying to suggest felt ambiguous enough that I require a second viewing in order to appreciate it. Mad Detective is a breath of fresh air, as police-related films are a dime a dozen in contemporary cinema; lacking in any incentive from its writers to produce anything daring or thought provoking.

• Aug 26, 2014

• Apr 01, 2014

Saying I was Gobsmacked by this unorthodox film would be an understatement!

Saying I was Gobsmacked by this unorthodox film would be an understatement!

• Feb 21, 2014

A whacky thriller that makes you not to close your eye lids even for a while, though some moments that is does not make sense it is supported by the stylish portrayal on screen

• Sep 30, 2013

Re-thinking the detective genre--A maddening-yet-fascinating movie!!

Re-thinking the detective genre--A maddening-yet-fascinating movie!!

• Jul 27, 2013

Mad Detective is weird and I mean really weird thanks to the smart direction and lead, but it's also very intelligent and highly ambitious with an interesting ending scene that you'll have to re-watch in order to truly understand it.