Man of Tai Chi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man of Tai Chi Reviews

jamrcla
October 19, 2017
Nothing memorable but it had its moments with some good fight scenes, But the rest was pretty dull with some not so great acting and the story was just kind of pointless and there was some kind of power element during fight scene in the end and it didn't work for me, Keanu Reeves was ok and he could be a good director one day too, Maybe more hardcore fans of these films will enjoy it more but for casual fans it's nothing great.
August 14, 2017
The fight scenes were amazing, didn't care for the subtitles. Wasn't much of a story, seem to Showcase to fighting.
August 9, 2017
Reeves's performance may leave much to be desired, but his skill in front and behind the camera proves he's still "The One".
July 16, 2017
I thought this film was great! I love seeing Keanu as a villain and the plot was interesting and fast paced. The fight scenes were fantastic.
June 4, 2017
Not for those that dislike subtitles. Still a great movie, great story with feeling and action. A+++
½ February 19, 2017
Directing debut by Keanu Reeves, this movie has some nice fighting sequences but the story is straight forward. We can understand Reeves needed a simple plot to learn the technical trade of directing, that we felt lacked in this move. Definitely not a must see, completely overrated.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 5, 2017
Very cool old fashion martial arts thriller.Highly entertaining!Well done Keanu!
December 19, 2016
If you watch this bilingual martial arts movie for its fighting scenes, you will have plenty to enjoy, for they are really great, but apart from that it is quite forgettable and has nothing else to offer, with Keanu Reeves directing it with no passion and playing a cartoonish villain.
November 15, 2016
It was a fun Kung fu movie. The acting wasn't very good and the plot was predicable. But the fight scenes were very solid and well done.
October 22, 2016
le falta más emoción
½ August 21, 2016
Interesting premise but poor execution. I had high hopes for this film which were crushed within the first five minutes. **Terrible** dialogue, overly-stylized representations, predictable story and a very wooden performance from Keanu Reeves making for a laughable villain. Wish I had paid more attention to the audience score on this one!
August 20, 2016
Muy buenas escenas de lucha. Buen coreografiadas y con la lograda intención de mostrar que lo actores hicieron toda (o la mayor parte) de ellas.
El argumento en si es un poco flojo, pero entretiene.
Para ser el debut como director de Keanu Reeves, vale la pena para una tarde/noche de entretenimiento.
March 24, 2016
Una vaccata anche per gli amanti del genere.
½ March 22, 2016
One of the best marital arts movies that I have seen in a while. Keanu Reeves proves to be a competent action director and also does an adequate job playing the films over the top antagonist. Tiger Hu Chen is excellent as the film's lead.
½ February 24, 2016
There really isn't much more to say. You either like Martial Arts Films and the John Woo Hong Kong Over-The-Top Action or you don't. It's a silly and ridiculous romper-stomper of the Yuen Woo-ping style of action films. But very watchable and a lot of fun.
February 4, 2016
An excellent martial arts film.. Big applause for Reeves..
December 11, 2015
Keanu debuts in the Chair and plays zero-range-villain - interesting protagonist studies Tai Chi - likable Hong Kong detective chick pursues Zero-range-villain - master not happy protag wants to crush heads - protag gets recruited for deathmatch - has to save Tai Chi temple from developers so takes gig - good fight scenes - has to hold down delivery job for Chinese Fed Ex - talks to boring Chinese Fed Ex girl - fails to service plot -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -spoiler - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -master regulates with invisable hadouken - says Tai Chi shouldn't be used for violence by getting violent - protag walks away but collaspes couging up blood - hadouken has time release - goes back to deathmatch gets super violent - fight scenes degenerate into 'crouching possum hidden wombat' wire work - Hong Kong detective chick rocks up and arrests senior cops involved??? - protag finally fights Zero-range-villain who fights exactly like Neo (zero surprise) - protag deploys double invisible hadouken - Zero-range-villain scoffs - time release kicks in - spews blood - dies - - - - - - - - - -temple saved - - - - - - - - - protag and Chinese Fed Ex girl survey Chinese swampland then each other - - - - - - - -fin
October 9, 2015
Keanu Reeves mostra que é tão bom diretor quanto é ator. Embora tenha algumas cenas de lutas interessantes, a história é muito fraca e sem graça.
August 22, 2015
Overall this was a very good directorial debut, a very good martial arts movie. The skill displayed, the choreography of the fights, the camera work, the score and even the sets work together really well to give the viewer an entertaining experience. We get a bit of an education about Tai Chi and Tiger Chen delivers pretty well for a fighter. My only criticism is about Donaka Mark. I didn't feel he came to life as a villain until towards the end of the movie. I loved Keanu Reeves as the bad guy Donnie Barksdale, so I was expecting the same kind of stellar performance. I was quite disappointed and I think it's mostly due to the writing of the character. He appeared as cold throughout the movie, especially towards Tiger; and I feel the character would have had a lot more flavour to it, if he was portrayed as cunning and manipulative, befriending Tiger, making him think he truly had his best interest at heart. It would have explained the shock and horror on the fighter's face at the beginning of the movie, when Donaka finishes the other fighter off. There are also a couple of shots of Donaka, that are from behind; I also feel that Keanu Reeves, as a director, could have added flavour to Donaka if the camera looked at him from the side, thus allowing us to see his expression. Other than that, I have really enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to any martial arts fan.