Man of the Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man of the Year Reviews

November 13, 2016
Robin Williams makes a funny president!
½ July 26, 2016
An interesting movie to run right now with the election looming--I wish Robin Williams (or Jon Stewart) was running for president especially with his platform of getting rid of the influence of the special interests groups, like the gas and oil companies who are ruining the countryside and endangering the health of the population.
½ July 25, 2016
I would not have rated the movie this high in 2006, but in 2016 it's relevant. Great job to the writers and Robin.
½ July 14, 2016
7/14/2016: It wasn't a bad movie, but I thought it would be more light hearted and funny. The cast was great and the story was pretty good.
March 30, 2016
*May contain spoilers*

I had high hopes with Robin Williams and Christopher Walken teaming up for a political satire. Maybe my expectations were too high, but Man of the Year did little more than disappoint after the first half hour. Williams executes hilariously truthful monologues about the issues. The debate was arguably the funniest scene of the entire movie, as Williams spoke frankly and comically about what is wrong with politicians.

Unfortunately, the main plot comes into play after his presidential win, with Laura Linney taking on a more prominent role. The movie commences its tumble downhill, as the plot is weak and the film drags to its boring and all-too-cheery finish. It focuses on Green‚??s findings about the computerized voting system and her determination to tell Dobbs the truth. Linney‚??s character was irritating to watch. The blame cannot be wholly placed on her, but her annoying character, Eleanor Green. Linney‚??s portrayal was strong, but the character should not have had such a large role in a supposed ‚??comedy.‚??

The film lacks humor other than Williams‚??s lines. Williams is humorous, but he alone cannot liven up the dull plot. There was an obvious attempt (and failure) to give Lewis Black funny dialogue, but it mostly left me wondering exactly why Black was in the movie. His role seemed irrelevant.

The ending was cheesy, with appearances from Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. The famous comedic duo could not save the film with their short scene. I was happy to see the movie end, albeit lazily.

Williams and Walken are undoubtedly talented, but were not used to their full potential. I kept waiting for the excitement to happen, until I was watching the credits roll by and realized it was never coming.
March 9, 2016
Man of the Year is directed and written by Barry Levinson, and it stars Robin Williams in a political film about a talk show host who wanted to become the president, surprisingly succeed at it, and one of the people who works in the voting machine company, found a computer glitch, and the people will do what it takes to stop her before she tells the elected president about it. I honestly wouldn't really watch it if it wasn't for history class that the teacher let us watch, and just Swing Vote, Man of the Year is just an average film that I didn't think was good, but it wasn't bad either. Robin Williams is always great in this film and tries his best to make the film work. Laura Linney is really good for what she's got, and in the first act, there were some clever lines and some funny moments. I was curious to see where it was going, and hearing Tom's speech in the beginning during the presidential race, it was investing. Sadly, that's pretty much the good that I can think of as there are some major problems that I had. The love chemistry between Robin Williams and Laura Linney was really not needed, and most of the humor was not funny. When it switched to a conspiracy film, I was fine with it as long as it know what it's doing, but the film thinks that it really smart when from the audience, there are just stuff in it that make no sense. There were some dull moments in there, and it goes through too many times in the film. I would not watch Man of the Year again, but I didn't hate myself for watching it as it could've been clever, but it sadly wasn't.
½ March 9, 2016
Really funny movie!!! Such an amazing actor. Robin Williams is fantastic in this movie.
½ February 8, 2016
Great Robin Williams lines surrounded by bland plot
½ January 3, 2016
An unusual hybrid of satire and political thriller with romantic touches, Man of the Year did have a promising premise and at its best it proves both biting and engaging; however, in attempting to cast such an intricate web of genres into one it fails to be successful in any field, transforming into a slightly over-ambitious muddle which leaves an insipid taste.
November 19, 2015
Not as good as Wag the Dog but much better than what the critics are saying.
September 17, 2015
This is suppose to be a comedy right?If it is it is an unfunny one.
September 5, 2015
Politicians are a lot like diapers.They should be changed frequently and for the same reason. Keep that in mind when you vote..
½ July 7, 2015
Cute & entertaining, obviously parts of it highly improbably, but it is entertainment. Not sure why it got such poor ratings. Definitely not in the league of Goodwill Hunting or Good Morning America, but not nearly as bad a ratings would indicate.
June 7, 2015
insightful. entertaining.
½ June 7, 2015
Political Robin Williams....nuff said
½ June 6, 2015
One of Robin Williams' worst movies.
May 12, 2015
Entertaining if nothing else just for Robin Williams performance, Man of the Year looses itself in by not knowing the core of it's main focus is, since the film shifts so many times between a romance and a political thriller.
½ February 24, 2015
very underrated in the filmographies of both director Levinson's and the late main star Williams. not a masterpiece but a very entertaining satirical comedy.