The Man with Two Brains Reviews

• Apr 17, 2020

This antic filled mish mash has not aged well. Cut and pasted themes and scenes, bits and lines that once worked out of sheer novelty now do not.

• Jan 22, 2020

It has some genuinely funny moments. Then their are some that thinks its funnier than what it really is. Still got some laughs out of me.

• Sep 20, 2019

When I was young, I loved Steve Martin and I would always seek out anything he did. I owned comedy albums, watched SNL episodes, and even saw some movies. The one problem with the Steve Martin completionist endeavor was that I wasn’t allowed to watch R-rated films as a kid, so I missed out on a number of his movies. Catching up to The Man with Two Brains now, I felt like a kid again giggling at his silly antics. Of course, there are plenty of sexual jokes in this movie that I would not have understood back then, so it’s probably best I watched it now. The movie is that perfect blend of campy comedy with a real story. It sits in the same category with Airplane or The Naked Gun as a spoof film that tries to keep a logical plot progressing even though things happening in the world of that plot are utterly ridiculous. I laughed a lot while watching this movie because it had a number of my favorite kind of jokes. A couple of examples: I’m a big fan of a well-executed running gags, and this movie contained tons of them; I also love when something completely illogical and silly happens (or is said) and the characters act like it’s perfectly normal. Steve Martin is so wacky that I can laugh at him when he is playing a pompous idiot in The Man with Two Brains. The film tries to make him more sympathetic as the story goes on, which I don’t know if they accomplished, but it didn’t stop me from finding him funny. Kathleen Turner is delightfully devious, and I loved how she manipulates everyone in the movie. She also gets to deliver one of the most offensive and funniest lines in the film. Sadly, from a story standpoint, the film isn’t the greatest. It asks us to care that Martin’s character is being swindled, when he is presented as someone who isn’t all that pleasant anyways. Plus, the movie makes it clear that he should have known better than to get in this situation in the first place. Then as it transitions into the second half, the eventual end result of the story seems obvious. I’m not a big fan of movies that telegraph their ending, but it’s more tolerable when it is a comedy and you can chuckle through it all. The Man with Two Brains is still a solid movie that I would watch again. This isn’t the type of movie you watch for the story anyways, so I can forgive its flaws in that department in order to get the laughs.

• Aug 23, 2019

It's over finally... Don't you need one brain before moving on to 2

It's over finally... Don't you need one brain before moving on to 2

• Feb 01, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Jan 29, 2017

Ridiculously funny with black comedy intertwined with satirical sketches reminiscent of Airplane!.

• Mar 27, 2016

Sci-fi comedy from Carl Reiner and Steve Martin (in their third team-up), about a brilliant brain surgeon who marries a psychopath, and falls in love with a brain in a jar while on their honeymoon. It is a weird movie, but a funny one, with Martin at his manic best, some funny bits from Kathleen Turner, and an all around kooky plot. Not for everyone, but for those that it is for? They will enjoy the hell out of it.

• Nov 10, 2015

Yet another homage to B movies except this one works.

Yet another homage to B movies except this one works.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Nov 09, 2015

Steve Martin and Carl Reiner concocted this near miss together about a doctor who has telepathy with a brain kept alive in a jar of miracle colored water. Some bits work, some don't, and one remembers the work of Mel Brooks throughout as there are similar styles working. Kathleen Turner has quite a lot to do and she nearly steals the film, but its Martin's baby all the way home. There's a few chuckles in here.

• May 26, 2015

Silly, profane, twisted and a whole lot of fun.

Silly, profane, twisted and a whole lot of fun.