Manchester by the Sea - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Manchester by the Sea Reviews

April 27, 2017
I loved this film. was cheering when Casey Affleck won best actor. what I liked about the film was how honest it is with the audience. the critics couldn't have said it better there is a rare power lurking in this film. I honestly thought this was the best picture.
½ April 27, 2017
Manchester by the Sea is directed and written by Kenneth Lonergan, and it stars Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, Kyle Chandler, and Lucas Hedges in a drama film about a janitor that is not likable, and his brother died, which put him into parental care of his brother's son, which he think isn't the right idea to do. Out of all the Academy Award Best Picture nominees, this is the one that I was the least looking forward to only for the fact that I didn't really find it that interesting as drama films tend to get easily boring, but I know that I want to watch all the films that were in that category, so I know that I'll have to watch this, and go my surprise, I really liked it. This is the best performance that I've seen from Casey Affleck as he's depressed in that he feels like he lost everything, but still keeps going with his life. Michelle Williams is not in it that much, but she does put a spark when she's in it, especially in the end where she gave an emotional scene. Lucas Hedges was fine in it, but he doesn't quite have that same weight that Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams has, which when I saw him in the film for the first time, I knew that there was something missing. The writing by Kenneth Lonergan is fantastic in that it's just a piece of life happening, and the way that it shows flashbacks is quite subtle that I honestly forgot I was watching a flashback. The characters felt like actual human people, which is quite an accomplishment to do, and I was actually invested in this as the pacing in this is very slow and is entirely a drama film, with some surprisingly comedic moments that are effective. I'm surprised that with this being more than 2 hours long and the pacing going in a snail pace, I wasn't bored of it, nor was it dragging either, except in some rare moments, but there's not much of it. Manchester by the Sea is a really great film that I'm glad it got some awards out of the actors and the director.
½ April 26, 2017
It felt like the first act of a movie stretched out to over two hours.
April 26, 2017
Manchester by the Sea is filled with great performances and amazing realism but its somberness, slow story, and unchanging characters will make it uninteresting for some viewers.
½ April 25, 2017
How is this called a movie? This has nothing in common with the art of cinematography. Disgusting.
½ April 25, 2017
decent mov: but ANOTHER (prob true) no-talking non-comunitive Irish rough family story
April 25, 2017
It kept my attention somewhat, but I just couldn't shake off the feeling of boredom while it was onscreen, like I had to remind myself to keep watching even though I never fell asleep or got distracted.

I guess I'm just not much for dreary, apathetic stories and characters. I much prefer one where the main character fights back and is fiery because apathy is not my game.

I did like the scenery where it was filmed, and they managed to make the location seem very cold without being decorative, like a snowy Christmas card would be. This adds to the feeling of desolation and loneliness.

However, although I can appreciate it had some "meaningful" theme, I just couldn't get into it. It didn't light my fire, so to speak.
April 24, 2017
Very depressing. Thank gods I saw it at home.
½ April 24, 2017
Una película sobre el duelo, muy bien actuada y con unas bellisimas imágenes en exteriores
April 23, 2017
Good conversation flick, character development, despite the slow pace...
½ April 23, 2017
One of the worst movies I have seen in a long time. Not sure why all the hype. This plot was tedious and the ending was the type you expect when the writer literally can't think if anything else to do but stop. Don't waste the time.
½ April 23, 2017
Don't understand how this was so highly rated.
½ April 23, 2017
Great Story,Great Cast.However some scenes seem repetitive and some scenes go really long.Other than that its a great film
April 23, 2017
Kenneth Loregan has done it well , the background moments fit perfectly and helps adding dynamic movements to the movie , which certainly is not easy in a dramatic film , likewise the script and particularly the music were perfect , almost cried with Adagio in G minor and felt all the struggle of the characters with themselves
½ April 23, 2017
Terrific acting by Casey Affleck and everyone else. Very well written script. Very sad story. Simple and complex at the same time.
April 23, 2017
This movie some will have to be prepared to watch. It's not a happy movie and can be hard to watch. Lee's background caused him to be depressed and withdraw from close relationships for the most part. So the movie can be very sad and some may find it depressing. When his brother dies, he's put in an awkward situation when he finds out his brother wanted him to be guardian for his teenage nephew. Given he's never really dealt with his own grief and guilt from a tragedy that happened in his past, that seems impossible to him. He manages to arrange his brother's services somehow, but dealing with his nephew isn't something he's prepared for. He has flashbacks to years ago often in this movie and you don't always know the flashback is starting or ending. The musical soundtrack is too loud, as if make up up for the relative lack of enough meaningful dialogue in the movie. Lee and the nephew talk, but not enough to truly bridge the gap.Dealing with deep feelings isn't something Lee does well, so don't expect much of the ending...it doesn't get better in this movie. Good acting, I guess, in a repressed sort of way. But itt wasn't a story I would have chosen to watch if I had known what it was like..
½ April 23, 2017
Incredibly boring, uninteresting, dark, depressing, overrated film! If you've not seen it, consider yourself lucky. I had trouble getting through it at home on DVD. Entertainment isn't supposed to be tantamount to getting a "root canal!"
April 23, 2017
This was a powerful movie, with some wonderful performances, especially by Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams. I can't imagine going on if that kind of tragedy happened to me. I'm glad I finally got to see it. You'll shed a few years, but it's definitely worth seeing. An A-.
Movie night with Iris.

Academy award-winning fare that left me totally unmoved. I typically like slow, emotional films and I loved You Can Count On Me. But one-hour into this and I was struggling to comprehend the musical flashbacks. I couldn't remember what time line we were in, and which actress was who. So the tragic loss failed to resonate with me. And even in the 2nd half the much lauded confessional scene totally passed me by.
April 23, 2017
Not as profound as the reviews......