The Manchurian Candidate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Manchurian Candidate Reviews

½ May 5, 2016
Career soldier becomes suspicious of his orders in this taunt suspense thriller.
April 29, 2016
It's an enjoyable, thrilling-enough watch, but it's not entirely memorable and suffers from an intriguing but convoluted premise.
February 9, 2016
The Manchurian Candidate is a terrific remake that I know it was going to be good with Jonathan Demme directing it. The A cast has brought their A game here which definitely made the film more interesting. The plot is really good, and here are some twists that really got me. It's well written and the mystery of it is very investing that it made me want to know as much as the characters wanted to know. Characters are good, and when it goes to the disturbing parts, it made the film more interesting. It's thought-provoking, and it's unpredictable consider that I've never seen the original which after watching, actually makes me want to want to see what the original accomplish as well.
½ December 12, 2015
A chilling, tense and brilliantly crafted political thriller about mind control and two men's search for the truth.
November 20, 2015
Despite its full moments and dragging sequences, the Manchurian Candidate is a properly executed story brought to life through its solid cast and the compelling performance of Denzel Washington.
November 8, 2015
Mostly entertaining though some parts just seem to go on forever
September 14, 2015
This movie is such a mind-job! It's excellent though, even if seemingly far-fetched on the surface. Meryll Streep's character is so diabolical yet does not seem to a stretch from potential reality. I mean if one digs only a little into the scandals Hillary Clinton is implicated in, it's easy to see how deep people will go for power and to push an agenda. One thing that seemed missing from this conspirators fantasy-flick was the Masonic, Luciferian connection (which is no doubt real in some circles). Nevertheless, money and power are those peoples' gods and they were the gods of the people in the film too. A few questions seemed to go unanswered though: was Raymond Shaw supposed to be a democrat? And his mother was a republican? They tried hard not to give any of that away, although the diagram of the polling of the states seemed to indicate my guess was correct. Also, why was Capt. Marco so quick to shoot down Huey's with what looked to be special forces assaulters in them? Nevertheless, no real complaints. Oh, ladies... don't sleep with a new boyfriend unless he marries you... but if you do and he starts doing the things Marco was doing, coax him out of your bed and home and lock the door... Sheesh.
August 26, 2015
Plodding and pointless waste of acting talent
July 18, 2015
A well acted thriller with twists and turns. Meryl Streep really stood out to me as cold and calculated villain along with Liev Schreiber.
June 29, 2015
It was OK, but no where near as good as the original.
May 25, 2015
Obviously the original with Frank Sinatra is preferred, but this remake with Denzel Washington is just as thrilling and intense as he plays a brainwashed soldier trying to uncover a dark secret.
½ May 25, 2015
By the end I was as confused with what was happening as the leading man
May 17, 2015
Not as good as the original, but still worth checking out.
April 24, 2015
This remake is also full of strange shit going on.
½ April 13, 2015
A decent psychological thriller, an entriguing story and well acted
April 3, 2015
Uhm how far exactly is this of from reality?
½ April 3, 2015
Great film with terrific performances by Denzel Washington and Liev Schreiber
March 9, 2015
Great performances by Denzel and especially Queen Meryl, but given the ideas involved, it should have been so much more than a by-the-numbers thriller.
½ January 29, 2015
I didn't know anything about this film before I watched it, but from the title and cover I was expecting something different. The opening is action packed and gets our attention, but after that for the first half of the movie it is a little slow, and confusing. It's understandable, as out main character is also confuse and looking for answers, but we don't really know what's going on, and have many question. Luckly as the movie moves on all these are answered, and it becomes quite interesting. It's complex, and is more psychological than anything else, which is an interesting change from what we usually see. I find my self wondering how much of this is actually possible, as the brainwashing and probes put in their bodies, seem a little too futuristic. The movie is well done however, with some great preformances by the actors, good cinematography and good script. However I find there to be too many twists that aren't for the better, friends of characters who turn out to be special agents, other clichà (C)s, and a confusing first half, which all brings down my rating, which could be at 8/10 instead, but dosen't quite reach it. The ending was good, however I saw it coming before it happened, but then was caught off guard. I was pleased to see some change from most movie endings, until it brought our main character back to life after we thought he was dead. OF COURSE this had to happen, it wonder how long it will take before directors stop pulling the same crappy move. Anyway the movie was pretty good, but has all the clichà (C)s and already overused events of other movies involving governments, agents, and brainwashing. Could have been better, but still a decent film.
January 18, 2015
Although it starts of slow and sometimes doesn't always hit a high-note, the 2004 version of The Manchurian Candidate still is taut, well-acted, and well written. Meryl Streep obviously handles her role to the T, but Denzel Washington also performed admirably as the Major who starts out clueless but then increasingly unravels a sinister plan to his detriment.