Mao's Last Dancer Reviews

• Aug 29, 2019

In my opinion I didn't like how the filmmakers adapted the book, as the film doesn't pull me in or capture my emotions the same way the book did. I felt that film focuses on the wrong things, one of these distractions is the focus on romance, this is very common in movies, filmmakers will always emphasise these parts in film. For example in the book romance isn't focused on but just a couple words are exaggerated into minutes of unneeded content. This really disconnects the audience from the story. There were parts of the story all over the place. In the book the story starts from Li in the village, his beginnings. But in the film, it started in the setting of America. This didn't let the audience "grow up" with Li and experience the same story he had. Instead, your immediately thrown into a story halfway completed. The audience have no idea what background the MAIN CHARACTER has. If I was watching this film without reading a single piece of the book I'd be so confused about the characters backstory and experiences. As I touched on earlier the film is all over the place, switching from different times entirely. Randomly throughout the story through the slightest connection the filmmakers will switch back to Li's background from China, which in my opinion is not a good way of presenting a story. In conclusion, I'm very disappointed with the film because of its lack of story line and attention to character development.

• Sep 30, 2018

Very emotionally poignant story and beautiful dancing throughout. Ballet is not a style of dance that you see very often nowadays. Realistic portrayal of historical events, what China was like in the 1970s, and the differences between Chinese and American cultures.

• Aug 05, 2018

Based on a true story about ballet dancer Li Cunxin, the screenplay does not fall into holes like other biographies with happy go lucky events. A true story where struggles can both make a person stronger, but then also vulnerable. Kudos to the actors who helped with the flow of the film as none overacted or were miscast. Nice scenery and brilliant photography elevates this film into a feast for the eyes. A must see.

• Mar 11, 2018

Dance sequences were amazing!

Dance sequences were amazing!

• Mar 02, 2016

great, heart warming story...nice movie the whole family can watch..should watch. God Bless America

• Dec 12, 2015

Viewers need some sound historical knowledge of China to fully appreciate this film.

• Apr 02, 2014

güzel film, muhte?em final.

güzel film, muhte?em final.

• Jan 10, 2014

The inspiring story of a young ballet dancer getting a dream opportunity in America & his acceleration to success in ballet over there. Filled with simple scenes I can see why the critics may bash but I liked the film it flows well & easy. The final scene where he connects with his parents after many years after a knockout performance is very touching...

• Jan 01, 2014