Marathon Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marathon Man Reviews

October 26, 2017
Still scared shitless of the dentist because of this flick
½ September 15, 2017
One of those movies you could watch while reading a book at the same time. Was tempted several times to fast forward to the end as it never reached anything more than walking pace. Had several rediculous parts in it too, not least of all the lead up to the oil tanker crash!!
August 20, 2017
Hoffman plays a guy who gets mixed up with a bunch of escaped nazis because of his brother. he gets tortured by a nazi dentist, but then he beats them mainly by using his running skills. i thought it was pretty cool, nice scenes in 70s new york and hoffman is a great actor
August 20, 2017
While certainly elevated by its hard-hitting, prestigious cast, 'Marathon Man' remains highly satisfying, a thriller filmed with aptitude and having poignant scenes, like the infamous torture scene or the attempt to kill Roy Scheider in a Parisian building. It's a competent but complicated work (is it too complicated?) which does have enough material to be exciting.
½ June 25, 2017
John Schlesinger crafts William Goldman's adaptation of his own novel into a taut and mean machine of a thriller chockablock with suspense, terror and indelible performances from Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier.
May 30, 2017
Marathon Man is the best of thrillers: intelligent, tense, and disturbing. Laurence Olivier is sensational as the film's villain.
May 1, 2017
A classic, but ultimately forgetable one ..
March 18, 2017
An effective and well crafted thriller centred around Nazi war criminals and government agencies that weave their way into the life of the titular Marathon Man played brilliantly by Dustin Hoffman. The rest of the cast is also solid, the action is well played out and realistically violent, the score is really good, plenty of tense scenes and I like the twisting plot despite the somewhat lacking script.
February 18, 2017
A great 70's classic...
½ February 4, 2017
Always wanted to finish this movie that I started at least four times. Decent but over directed - as usual - by Schlesinger.
½ January 31, 2017
Solid thriller. The Nazi war criminal angle is really cool and unique. Some Fantastic performances and some intense scenes raise this above the crowd, even as it gets a little convoluted as it creeps towards the end.
January 4, 2017
This seems to have acquired the reputation of being a very complicated thriller. I don't really see what's complicated about it. Olivier's Nazi war criminal in hiding is forced to come to New York and retrieve his stashed wealth when the only other person with access to it, his brother, is killed in a car crash. He's afraid that any of a number of couriers who have been transporting these diamonds to him in South America might take the opportunity to rob him, so he starts having them bumped off. One of them is Hoffman's older brother Roy Scheider. When Scheider makes his way all the way back to Hoffman's apartment before dying, Olivier is convinced Scheider must have told him something important and grabs him to find out what he was told. That's the entire plot in a nutshell. I think it seems more complicated than it is because Schlesinger populates the movie with characters with complex psychologies that muddy the plot. Does it make sense for Olivier to fear being robbed? Not really. They could have robbed his brother at any time if they wanted to. He as much as admits the irrationality of this fear to Hoffman. William Devane's character wavers a lot because he's torn between having a job to do and hating Olivier. What makes this thriller really transcend it's genre is these character complexities.
December 23, 2016
I'm sure this film was a lot better in its time, and it is pretty good for about 3/4 of the way. But the third act in particular is pretty bad. And the romance aspect of the movie has that typical "stalking-leads-to-love" thing that a lot of older movies have. What just bugged me the most was that the entire thing was for naught. I hate movies where we're drawn in, a character is drawn in, and the story is revealed to be about absolutely nothing. Huge conspiracy thriller about a dude who's....afraid someone might steal his stash; nothing more. Wow. Reminds me of Mystic River, which was similarly a movie built around absolutely nothing. Oh, and the sheer amount of diamonds? That was borderline comical.
October 22, 2016
I liked this movie though I didn't find it as thrilling as I think it was intended. great cast and good story.
October 2, 2016
The movie where you can feel your own teeth being drilled. Great movie don't know who the bad guys are.
½ July 31, 2016
Marathon Man is an intense, at times, scary thriller that features some excellent performances and is chalk-full of unpredictable twists.
July 22, 2016
A good movie, although a little confusing and hard to follow. Also, very disappointed by the "famous" dentistry scene. Apparently most of it was cut for being too graphic. What is left is pretty ordinary.
½ July 10, 2016
70's style, nice storyline with one of Hoffman's finest performance...
April 22, 2016
Marathon Man never quite could elevate itself than your average pot boiler type thriller despite the excellent performances and able direction. Though it tries to be secretive, compartmentalizing and strategically letting in on information to the viewers, I could not find it intriguing enough to sit on the edge. The cloak and dagger stuff is predictable and poorly executed and the scenes inserted to just get the screenplay and plot moving are laughable.

Doc (Roy Scheider) is a Government operative in pursuit of some diamonds stashed by a Nazi War criminal Szell (Laurence Olivier) dubbed the White Angel. Babe (Dustin Hoffman) is a history student and a younger brother to Doc, he is also practicing to participate in a full marathon and meets a beautiful girl of foreign origin Elsa (Marthe Keller). One day Doc falls into Babe's doorstep with a stab wound and succumbs before he tells anything. Babe is then abducted, tortured and pursued to spit out what Doc has revealed in his final moments.

A scene in the first 15 minutes where two old men has a road rage is one of the worst scenes I have come across. The entire story runs on the paranoia of Szell regarding the safety of his diamonds and the way they came up for portraying it is by Szell saying he is paranoid about the safety of his diamonds. Occasionally it gets loud and irrational (large help from Hoffman's character) and I never made me bothered to feel what is going to come next. The character Elsa does not do enough justification considering the screen time. Scheider gives a calculated and reliable performance while Hoffman is inconsistent. The scene of Szell walking by the Jewish market was effective but could have raised the pulse had it been longer or if could have been the climax. The climax was very badly done depicting a cheap B-movie.

Bloated runtime, missing intrigue blows the cover
December 31, 2015
Olivier's Nazi/dentist is a terrifying villain and the narrative constantly delivers on it's cynicism. A very good low key thriller.