Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein Reviews

½ November 12, 2016
At times it's exceptional poetry - at others, it can be a fine mess.
½ November 7, 2016
2016-11-08 lots of plot holes and illogical actions
October 25, 2016
Bold, overblown and heavy, this is a disappointing adaptation but a marvel to watch thanks to Branagh (both behind and in front of the camera) and DeNiro's inspired performance.
October 22, 2016
While it veers into melodrama, Mr. Branagh's take on the gothic tale is undeniably faithful to the literary source material.
½ June 22, 2016
Good adaptation of the novel into this suspenseful, traditional horror film. While everything was not completely accurate to the novel, the film did an excellent job making its own way through the story. DeNiro as The Creature was amazing, definitely the best performance of any of the actors in the film. If you study this book in school, don't take your test based on this film, but it's a good supplement to the book.
½ June 7, 2016
Theatrical in the hand of Kenneth Branagh.
½ June 4, 2016
This adaption of Frankenstein is stylish, entertaining, humorous, and filled with a nice cast. It's far from the best adaption of the novel (though it is one of the more accurate depictions), nor does it get everything right on its own. Nonetheless, it's easy to sit through and to revisit.
½ May 1, 2016
A atuação de Robert De Niro é gigante e a inteligência visual de Kenneth Branagh é surpreendente, transformando esse filme em um perfeito exemplo de injustiça em sua recepção.
March 13, 2016
Beautiful costumes and music. A wonderful adaptation!
February 9, 2016
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein attempts to deliver a faithful cinematic adaptation of the literary classic. With a strong focus on characters, the film follows an ambitious scientist whose obsession with unlocking the secret to creating life leads to his ruin and the destruction of his family. Starring Robert De Niro, Kenneth Branagh, and Helena Bonham Carter, the film features a solid cast, but the performances are rather underwhelming. And there's no real horror or sense of foreboding to the experimentations or the Frankenstein Monster. While Mary Shelley's Frankenstein sticks fairly close to the source material, something is missing in the tone and portrayal or the characters.
½ November 2, 2015
Well, let's say that the movie had it's problems. It's big problems. Most of the time, it was only unnecessary Melodrama, which sometimes really annoyed the shit out of me. I don't want to see emotions and other boring stuff in a fucking Frankenstein movie, I'm here for the horror, the scientific aspects and the interesting thought behind it. And the good thing is: I could also see alot of that in this movie, which atleast satisfied me after the not really that believeable romance scenes. I admire the movie for how near it is to the novel, and the fact, that it isn't comperable to these stupid cliché films that most of the times don't have a single little bit in common with the original masterpiece. I liked the fact that the "monster" looked realistic, you could still see that it once was an human being, and that the Doctor wasn't one of these overloaded insane geniuses who have a totally over the top design, with their disabled assistent Igor right on their side. It seems alot more real like in said films. I didn't like many of the characters, well I don't expect much of a Frankenstein's movie anyway, but well, here you had alot to deal with the characters, and you know.. they were all boring as hell. Only the monster gave you a few smiles, because of how cute it was acting all the time, and hell I wish I could know if that's actually a good or a bad thing. I called the monster Herbert and got really attracted to it, unlike to all the other characters... but you should be scared of it right? Ooops.... But well I like Herbert so much, I will overlook that fact.

The next big problem is, the logicial issue. Well, in a novel where a corpse was brought back to life, I don't expect much logic to be honest. But here I could see alot of plotholes, the monster for example knew many things, which it couldn't know if you look at the plot closely enough. Or even if, we didn't saw it, is it that hard to show this to us? The family was also fucking creepy, I felt like in a TV commercial for some outdoor stuff at the mountain scene. It wasn't really believeable, more like a false paradise to me. In the university it seemed a little bit too harsh, and at home a little bit too friendly for that time period. But well, the time setting was still pretty well handled if you ask me. I also admire how balanced the background places were, not too much of the castle, not too much of the university, I could make the list go on, and they always knew when it was the right time to make a change of place. It had a very good visual content in general, my eyes liked what they saw when looking at the landscapes. The beginning and ending scenes were simply epic.

this Review may Sound more harsh than it should, but I actually really enjoyed this movie. Sure, I mentioned enough Problems for others to hate it, but I personally know how to appreciate it.
½ October 18, 2015
This movie sucks balls, straight up. Top 10 worst films I've ever seen.
½ August 15, 2015
While De Niro delivers a solid performance, the slow pacing and bipolar tone shifts will lose any person interested in this film within the first half hour.
June 21, 2015
You of my top to see over and over again
½ April 19, 2015
Good try but the horror here is in the film making
April 16, 2015
Kenneth Branagh drags Frankenstein through almost unbearably long melodramatic precision of a boring period piece. Almost a complete failure....
½ March 15, 2015
A more realistic adaptation of the source material. Even if it doesn't please everyone, you can't deny the powerful performance from De Niro.
March 9, 2015
good remake of this classic tale
February 18, 2015
While the film has a few good moments and there's a lot to like about the film. One of the problems with the movie are the plot holes displayed throughout the film. Another problem with the film was that the film was also overly dramatic making the emotional scenes seem relatively silly. However, the major with the film is the pacing, everything felt way to rushed and you forget it happened after you saw it. With that being said despite the problems with the film it's worth checking out. Though it could have been a whole lot better.
February 1, 2015
Best Horror love film from a horror novel.