The Mask of Zorro Reviews

• Aug 18, 2019

I love this movie a childhood classic

I love this movie a childhood classic

• Jul 30, 2019

It's a little long, but it's a good old fashioned swashbuckler. Banderas and company are having a blast here and it shines through. And Catherine Zeta Jones... ouch! My heart hurts.

• Jul 09, 2019

This is a great flick.

This is a great flick.

• Apr 05, 2019

The Mask of Zorro is told in a classic style where a mentor trains a new protégé to take his place. It adds a mythical and timeless quality to the character of Zorro, as if it is something that has been passed down for generations, which is awesome. Anthony Hopkins is perfect in the role of the mentor. I was totally invested in his story, and thought it was interesting to see the parallels of the two main characters’ revenge stories. Antonio Banderas is superb at all the comedy and he is oozing with charm. However, he struggles a little with the more serious scenes. He always comes across as too light-hearted and comical to me. Aside from Catherine Zeta-Jones’s struggle with a Mexican accent, she is ideal for the role of the love interest in this film. She is beautiful, can match the wit of Banderas, and also has an attitude that makes her a force to be reckoned with throughout the film. The villains weren’t subtle with their performances, but this movie didn’t need that, because there’s already enough going on without us questioning if they were truly bad guys. There were some logical inconsistencies with the plot, and a few times people did things that made no sense, but The Mask of Zorro isn’t the kind of film that needs to be over-analyzed in that way. This is a rip-roaring adventure, not a contemplative drama. Who cares if half the time the bad guys forget they have guns and engage Zorro with swords instead? And who cares if they seem to wait in order to attack just at the right moment when the previous bad guy has been dispatched by Zorro and he is ready for more? Instead you just sit back and enjoy the well-choreographed fight scene that is pure fun to watch. They really captured the feeling of adventure in this movie, and it takes you on a joyous ride for the full runtime. The fact that there is effective emotion built into such a playful film pushes it over the edge to being high-quality entertainment. There are flaws in The Mask of Zorro, and minor things that didn’t click with me, but most of the way through I had a fun time revisiting this adventure and will look forward to seeing it again.

• Mar 28, 2019

Its a bit of a classic really. It's not too serious with itself and has plenty of charm. Bags of action and its good fun, even after all these years.

• Feb 27, 2019

To this day I donâ(TM)t know why but I think The mask of Zorro stands as my favorite movie of all time. I think my passion for this movie came from a perfect balance of vision, a director of the vision, and finally the actors.The movie tells a simple story of heroes vs villains with convincing characters that were preformed perfectly. Between Anthony Hopkins, Antonio Banderos, and Catherine Zeta-Jones I couldnâ(TM)t pick a favorite, I think this movie when I see them elsewhere. Even by todayâ(TM)s standards (except the beginning fight scene) this movie has held up extraordinarily well when it comes to the action scenes involving choreography and stunts, I believe the struggle the characters face. The plot is based in fiction and the movie does a good job of letting you know that in the beginning so there are no historical inconsistencies, you are meant to sit back and have fun but at the same time take it seriously. The comic relief is done perfect which is hard to do, not too much or less and not at the expense of the scene and itâ(TM)s actually funny. Even the romance and chemistry between Antonio and Catherine is believable, at the end of the movie I felt like they were actually drawn to each other and not just because the plot demanded it, awesome acting. Anthony Hopkins, lets face it, the man is an amazing actor and cannot do a bad job. Every scene Anthony is in is what makes the scene. The master/pupil relationship between Anthony and Antonio is also done with amazing chemistry and it is cool to watch the master passing the torch as an end to his character arc as the pupil builds up to complete his, awesome heroes. The antagonists are also preformed very well, both convincing, non cheesy villains with an alliance between each other and also have their own goals and an actual compelling reason to fight the protagonists, great villains. I wish modern day movies could even come close to the quality of writing, directing, and acting that this movie showed back in the 90â(TM)s without CGI and political agendas snuck in. The director of this movie should have directed Star Wars the last Jedi, not a visionless clown like Rian Johnson

• Feb 12, 2019

The Mask of Zorro tells an adventurous tales, with heroes, villains, action, heart, mature themes, and great music.

• Feb 10, 2019

Wow really great movie. Anthony Hopkins is the best batman ever.

Wow really great movie. Anthony Hopkins is the best batman ever.

• Nov 25, 2018

Always loved Zorro. In The Mask of Zorro we see excellent family entertainment without the unnecessary cruelty of the first Zorro movie. I enjoyed the chemistry between Banderas and Zeta Jones in this sequel story that was filmed with an eye for detail.