Match Point - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Match Point Reviews

July 23, 2017
While apparently inspired by him, Woody Allen's 'Match Point' is not quite up to Hitchcock's finest works, but is a very shakespearean, machiavelian and intelligent film, which definitely doesn't live us indifferent. It's a very sophisticated thriller -perhaps too sophisticated- with a good cast ( even though Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is a surprising choice for Chris he ends portraying him well). 'Match Point' also bears a significant philosophical aspect and deals with numerous themes such as success, luck, infidelity and class. Anyway, 'Match Point' is a fertile ground for analysis and a very good piece of filmmaking.
June 20, 2017
This is a great story about a man who is in a relationship but falls in love with another woman and the choices he has to face in order to be with her. I actually had to watch this movie a second time in order to appreciate it!
June 19, 2017
Great movie, its a great story and very British
½ June 4, 2017
Great script and story, explores cognitive dissonance. However it failed by casting a terrible actor such as Jonathan Rhys Meyers as the leading man. Not sure what Juliet Taylor was thinking there. Real shame as this would have been a dynamite film otherwise. Rhys Meyers ruined the scenes he was in subsequently made the film difficult to watch at times. Woody Allen think about your casting agents a bit more here.
½ May 4, 2017
A terrible movie. The first half is repulsive and unwatchable. The second half got more interesting, but only because of how ludicrous it was. (First and only viewing - 7/2/2014)
March 16, 2017
The egocentric and reprehensible proposal of Woody Allen uses the very debatable positions between destiny, luck and effort, creating a tense and often repetitive drama whose central axis is the capacity of the human being to decide between our passions or the reason, where anxiety and obsession desperately cloud thought. The narrative is fluid, but predictable, and Allen's mental games are not fully consolidated to make this a sufficiently provocative and acceptably graceful story. Filled with devoid acts, the cast is rather irritating and uncool, only Johansson has a job that is more than fantastic, and although the screenplay and photography are worthy of admiration, this attempt to unite opera and drama, as well as the comments that are usually cited to produce a poetic effect and sustain the work, point to a rather artificial and discursively unfinished result. 62/100
March 8, 2017
Allen switches from NewYork to London and returns to the theme of Cultural Capital.

I don't generally like Myers but he is great in this.
A serious twitch off Johansson.

A decent psychological thriller.
January 22, 2017
While many considered this a return to form from Woody Allen, without it being much of a thriller, this humourless tale of mixed relationships is for me at least one of Allen's poorest efforts. (spoiler) It is basically a rehash of Crimes & Misdemeanours and I much prefer the underrated Cassandra's Dream.
January 11, 2017
A great, underrated gem in Woody's filmography. A film that feels like a "who dunnit?" but we know who the culprit is all along. One of Woody's best (minus Scarlett's inferior acting & poor improv)
December 25, 2016
This is quite a thriller I had to watch
a few times.
½ December 10, 2016
Loved it when it came out. Doesn't hold up.
½ November 1, 2016
Enticing, trepidatious, sexy, and a philosophical view on fate and human nature.
½ October 6, 2016
A much better version of what Allen was trying to do with Crimes and Misdemeanors. It's a nihilistic atheist's response to Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment," and as well thought out as Allen's film is, Dostoevsky definitely still wins this debate to me artistically and philosophically.
September 18, 2016
Un drama de pasion y crimen que compensa su inicio lento con una dosis de suspenso que crece como bola de nieve cuesta abajo. Vale el esfuerzo.
½ September 13, 2016
In the ultimate game of cat and mouse our antagonist finds the luck and fortune only few have! This tell of infidelity and cover ups will tap many emotions. I challenge anyone to watch and resist the urge to yell WTF at your TV when the credits roll.
August 27, 2016
"-The man who said "I'd rather be lucky than good" saw deeply into life. People are afraid to face how great a part of life is dependent on luck. It's scary to think so much is out of one's control. There are moments in a match when the ball hits the top of the net, and for a split second, it can either go forward or fall back. With a little luck, it goes forward, and you win. Or maybe it doesn't, and you lose."
August 18, 2016
A pretty deep and dramatic tale of luck, betrayal and relations
July 30, 2016
The Best part about this romantic drama is the surprise, once the expectator is totaly involved with these well developed characters, the climax and conclussion are just a thrill.
July 29, 2016
O último grande filme de Woody Allen
June 15, 2016
Could this be the first non-comedy that Woody Allen has made? I think so. It's not a bad film, a good cast and story but I think that a lot of Woody Allen fans would be expecting something different.