The Matrix Reloaded - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Matrix Reloaded Reviews

April 19, 2017
A pretty okay sequel, that is kinda decent to the good original film, but with the Wachowski's constantly beating you over the head with post modern philosophy, and smartass dialogue, the film loses you from trying to connect with it's plot and context. Plenty of eye candy, but brain dead storytelling!
½ April 7, 2017
Initializing... Welcome back to the world of The Matrix. The story kicks into high gear right away when we see Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) riding in on a motorcycle, blowing something up, and then getting into a fight with Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving), where she gets kicked out and shot. Will she survive? Before learning that, the story rewinds to Neo (Keanu Reeves) waking up next to Trinity on their way to Zion, the last human city on Earth that was mentioned, but not seen. Now it gets to be seen. Neo's conflicted by the vision he had, and goes through an internal conflict of how to avoid that vision coming true. While on Zion, we learn a little more about the human resistance against the machines, and Neo gets an interesting scene with Councillor Hamann (Anthony Zerbe) where they discuss machines and control in a truly philosophical manner that is still relevant today in the smartphone era. Before that however, we get to see Zion in all its scope and after the announcement of Morpheus' (Laurence Fishburne) discovery, they party like there's no tomorrow, and most notably in their sex scene, we get better development of Neo and Trinity as lovers, but it is not enough to layer them like I think they should be, and while I can say this sequel adds more human-character moments that give us the tiniest bit of non-distracting comic relief, I still think character development is weak in this movie, but they do improve. Hamann is also in control of when the plot advances, which is why he lets Morpheus take his crew and the Nebuchadnezzar out to meet with the Oracle (Gloria Foster) who instructs them to track down the "keymaker" to find a way to end the war. What follows is another romp through the Matrix like the first movie, but the stakes are higher, and the action is increased. However, there is a clear middle chapter/part one of two feel to this I can't shake, because while this is the middle of a trilogy, it was filmed back-to-back with the sequel, and there are a few loose threads left at the end of the movie. I won't punish it for that, because it still felt like its own thing. Otherwise, the plot is fast and coherent, with some good story symmetry and a whole lot of cool action. Some of it feels really fake, like Neo's flying looking obviously CGI, but considering it's only done in the fake reality, I can let it slide on the grounds of "It's in a computer," and most computers (even today, over a decade later) don't render perfect realism, and back from the first movie, it's the lighting distinction between the two worlds. I'd also like to say that everything felt like it had its place, whether it was the twins (Neil and Adrian Rayment) who seemed like the featured muscle, the addition of Link (Harold Perrineau) to the crew, or the city of Zion and its big orgy scene, it feels like there's a reason to it, especially if you consider they show that kind of action to show how human the people Zion are. Don Davis returns to score for the humans and machines, and his soundtrack is the right amount of techno whether in the Matrix itself or not, especially Burly Brawl, the music that Neo's fight with the multiple Smiths is set to, which conveys the appropriate emotions of the situation (fast and advanced). It's also withheld in a pivotal scene I won't write about here, but I will say it really emphasizes how important the dialogue is, and leave it at that. As for humor, there is no dedicated comic relief, which would have been really out of place in this kind of movie, but as I said earlier, the more human moments of Neo, Trinity, and even Morpheus drew a chuckle out of me, but no major laughter. Even the twins have a small moment that'll make you go "heh," without being a distraction. And once again, the language gets a little salty, but nothing excessive or heavy on the salt. Overall, The Matrix Reloaded is a fine follow-up that still doesn't make me care about the characters, but is only worse for the dangling plot thread or two clearly there for the sequel released six months later.
½ April 2, 2017
Nowhere near ad good as the original.
April 1, 2017
Indulgent pandering.
March 25, 2017
Don't care what ANYONE says, I love this movie!!
March 25, 2017
liked more than the first. this is a shallow movie the philosophy was always crap.
March 20, 2017
Apart from the excellent scene on the highway, there isn't any other reason to watch this film (unless the droll & unintelligent dialogue between Neo & The Architect amuses you as it does me). Terribly pointless & cardboard in many aspects, especially the cast who themselves don't seem to have much faith in the material.
March 5, 2017
Great movie... i love all three movies...
March 5, 2017
Doubling down on the action and mind-bending thrills, Reloaded is not as fresh as its predecessor, but it is a welcome return for our favorite martial arts saviors, who wear sunglasses in their spare time in virtual reality.
March 1, 2017
Rating: 81%
It won't win over any newcomers to the franchise, nor will it satisfy every single fan, but the Matrix Reloaded still retains the signature visuals and relevant themes that made the first so enjoyable.
February 26, 2017
Gone is the originality and eerie sense of the unknown from the original, and in with the Hollywood formula of style over substance. The Matrix is undeniably a visually appealing movie- and Reloaded does continue that trait. The action is just as well choreographed as the first, and the highway chase scene is one of the most daring chase scenes in movies. The story, however, takes a noticeable dip in quality and distances us from the character of Neo. It no longer feels like we're discovering this new world of "reality" and virtual world with him, but instead watching him on a TV. It's overcomplicated, which makes the 140 minutes (the same length as the first) seem longer than it should. It's an unnecessary sequel.
½ February 17, 2017
For me, it was more like Matrix Regurgitated. For what it's worth, I am not like some huge fan of the original, though I do think it was a good movie and I've seen it probably 3 times or so over the years. But this one...yikes. I haven't seen it since it was in theaters 13 years ago, so I probably can't give too many specifics at this point, but I just remember these long, obscure speeches by Fishburne that seemed to ramble and make little or no sense...and then there was this excessively long highway chase scene that never seemed to end. I am not even exaggerating to say I dozed off a little in the middle of that scene, which was the most action-packed of the movie, because of how tedious it got after a while. I've seen a lot of movies in my time, and this is among my least favorite.
½ February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 30, 2017
Matrix recargado es una obra que muestra una historia grandiosa como su predecesora, es un ejemplo de como reunir y utilizar los recursos fílmicos de la época
January 16, 2017
I love this movie it is action packed and filled with great slow motion fight scenes! It makes the watcher use his/hers mind also. A great movie!
½ January 12, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Al parecer en esta película se preocuparon más por las escenas de acción (que por momentos parece cómica), en vez del desarrollo de la historia, la cual nos deja con una sazón de disgusto con la abierta conclusión que nos hace esperar una tercera entrega.
½ January 4, 2017
Should be called "The Matrix Overloaded". Unfortunately the main cast in this un-required sequel seem so self aware of their straight-faced performances that they feel less authentic this time around. The script is too complex at times and kind of dull and uninteresting at others. The action is overblown and much less emotionally impactful. Despite these shortcomings the movie does manage to be entertaining and is clearly well made. It's perhaps 15 minutes too long and overall it's an OK sequel if not a particularly necessary one.
October 30, 2016
161030: What's with the extended party scene near the beginning? Is that supposed to be cool? This film proves that more of a good thing does not mean a better thing (that includes my favourite Agent Smith). Even with its endless action and special effects, found I could just care less about this chapter. And worse, it's to be continued.
October 1, 2016
Quite a bit more flawed than its progenitor, but it introduces some clever new elements and twists into the universe. It struggles not to become one bloated action sequence in the middle, and the effects are little rougher.
September 25, 2016
This film was really great! It developed the story well and expanded it beyond the self contained story of part 1. It added more character and color to the world. It's not as great as part 1, but what could be, by it stands up well on its own and has a few very memorable scenes in the annals of film history. The fight scene in the courtyard between Neo and all the Smiths, the car chase scene, and Neo stopping all the bullets again. I still remember taking the bus to go see this in theaters on the day it came out. Good memories.