The Matrix Reloaded - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Matrix Reloaded Reviews

September 10, 2017
I didn't get much out of it, but was still fairly decent.
September 9, 2017
A worthy sequel packed with action heavy thrills and a surprising amount of narrative left, even if it does not uphold its predecessor's intelligent flaws.
September 2, 2017
Not as best as the first one, The Matrix Reloaded is still a successful sequel in the trilogy. Yet again, the awesome battles, the strong plot and characters, and the cool slow motion scenes are still there and are still a lot of fun to watch.
August 20, 2017
I look at this film after all these years and question the intent of the filmmakers. On the side of positive, the action and returning cast are still impressive and the ending scene could've been an epic conclusion. The biggest issue with the film is the big ambition with setting up the storyline for the finale film, introducing a love interest for Morpheous and keeping Agent Smith as the central villain of the series, granted he was good in the first but this slowly grows mind numbing. The script is full of exposition and for Neo being the one, he doesn't know all that much about the world he is suppose to rule. This film came out when people looked at films as a trilogy when this film should have explored Neo being the one, I feel like the film is always on the back foot, explaining everything because the filmmakers chose this path. It feels like a 20 year sequel, explaining past events and it struggles with maintaining a consistent beat, the fight before he meets the Oracle is just an excuse for more kung-fu and the dialogue between the 2 actors is horrible. The film is a missed opportunity at creating an action packed series and followup to the more critically successful original. The series gets worse with the next film but you can't help but feel annoyed with this movie, it had endless possibilities and Warner Bros had faith in the filmmakers, just look at Jupiter's Ascending. The video game was a better story than this film, this was a giant cash cow that crashed the franchise into the ground. 20-08-2017.
½ August 12, 2017
It fails to live up to the high bar set by the original, but Reloaded is one of the most underrated movie sequels of all time. It delves a little too much into the confusing and convoluted themes that plague Revolutions, but the most of the action is still fantastic, especially the freeway chase. My only major complaint is that all the action involving Neo has become boring since he's basically unbeatable. As long as you can forgive that, The Matrix Reloaded is a very good film that simply fails to live up to the first Matrix.
August 7, 2017
Love the special effects. Solid action.
½ July 28, 2017
A rare sequel that's able to stand in its own even if its not as spectacular as part 1. Still reloaded is a classic and can be enjoyed in more than one viewing. The best scene still in my opinion is the freeway chase as many films that follow cant quite measure up to its intensity. Alot of cool elements and memorable moments makes reloaded worth the expansion on the first film which really didnt need a part 2 but did so anyways in good form as it doesnt feel forced or far fetched.
½ July 22, 2017
An extremely weak sequel, full of dated special effects, and some wooden acting. Sad to see such a fantastic movie, get such a sub par sequel..
½ July 18, 2017
The Matrix: Reloaded is the sequel to the film that made us all wonder if the whole world we know is just a dream. No matter how much they try, it's impossible to match up to the impact of the original. You can only have an idea that original once. The Matrix: Reloaded isn't bad, though.
So let me start by saying, the first act of this movie is not what fans of the first Matrix would expect. It's very slow and not exciting. However, it's not too bad because it does set up something later in the film at one point. This was something I really liked about the movie: It had a prophecy type thing going on, where we see something at the beginning and we slowly build up to that point through out the movie. Some films and TV shows pull this off well, and others don't. And this movie does an okay job. It's not as interesting as other ones I've seen. It was still something I liked about the movie. Like I said, the first act of this movie isn't great, but the second and final make up for it and have more of what fans expect. Ultimately, I walked out of the movie satisfied, although during the first act I wasn't feeling so confident about this sequel.
This movie also had a lot more of what fans of the series loved about the first one: great action sequences and stunning special effects. This movie had really ahead of its time CG effects. Other movies at this time didn't have this yet. And the action sequences are also great. The one most people complain about in this movie wasn't even bad. The Agent fighting scene isn't very unrealistic or cartoony - or its at least as uncartoony as a guy who basically has super powers fighting a bunch of clones of one person is gonna get.
Overall, The Matrix: Reloaded is less memorable and sometimes very different from its predecessor, but it has similar amazing action scenes and groundbreaking special effects. While the first act isn't great, the second and final make up for it. There's nothing inherently bad about this sequel, it's just a great sci-fi action movie and isn't really much more.
June 26, 2017
Watched copies threw out ...now got real thang. Gonna see it...
½ June 24, 2017
The Matrix Reloaded serves as an acceptable sequel albeit lacking fresh ideas that is more than willing to settle on prolonged and slightly tedious action sequences and focusing on the quantity of enemies and martial arts moves than their quality. I feel The Matrix Reloaded did both a "How to do an Action Movie" with the Chateau scene with Neo fighting the random guys with weapons like knives and swords where it depends more on timing, strategy, critical thinking and speed and the "How NOT to do an Action Movie" which was Neo fighting an entire army of hundreds of Agent Smiths, it gets tedious and the outcome seems very predictable.
June 6, 2017
This is my favorite in the series
June 2, 2017
The opening scene with Trinity is awesome! The rest of the movie is just good. I like the artistry and fx of the fight and chase scenes, but they literally feel like they take up half of the movie. The plot barely exists around those scenes. I love the way Morpheus walks with his arms behind his back, and I love, love, love the Oracle, but they are way overshadowed by the endless fight scenes. Also, I don't like it when movies end the way this one does. Even if it's in a series, I think a movie should be able to also stand alone. Though, when a movie ends with a Dave Matthews Band song, it's alright in my book!
June 1, 2017
Reloaded gets kinda crazy and some of the effects don't work, but when they do, this film is fast, frantic, and fun.
April 19, 2017
A pretty okay sequel, that is kinda decent to the good original film, but with the Wachowski's constantly beating you over the head with post modern philosophy, and smartass dialogue, the film loses you from trying to connect with it's plot and context. Plenty of eye candy, but brain dead storytelling!
½ April 7, 2017
Initializing... Welcome back to the world of The Matrix. The story kicks into high gear right away when we see Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) riding in on a motorcycle, blowing something up, and then getting into a fight with Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving), where she gets kicked out and shot. Will she survive? Before learning that, the story rewinds to Neo (Keanu Reeves) waking up next to Trinity on their way to Zion, the last human city on Earth that was mentioned, but not seen. Now it gets to be seen. Neo's conflicted by the vision he had, and goes through an internal conflict of how to avoid that vision coming true. While on Zion, we learn a little more about the human resistance against the machines, and Neo gets an interesting scene with Councillor Hamann (Anthony Zerbe) where they discuss machines and control in a truly philosophical manner that is still relevant today in the smartphone era. Before that however, we get to see Zion in all its scope and after the announcement of Morpheus' (Laurence Fishburne) discovery, they party like there's no tomorrow, and most notably in their sex scene, we get better development of Neo and Trinity as lovers, but it is not enough to layer them like I think they should be, and while I can say this sequel adds more human-character moments that give us the tiniest bit of non-distracting comic relief, I still think character development is weak in this movie, but they do improve. Hamann is also in control of when the plot advances, which is why he lets Morpheus take his crew and the Nebuchadnezzar out to meet with the Oracle (Gloria Foster) who instructs them to track down the "keymaker" to find a way to end the war. What follows is another romp through the Matrix like the first movie, but the stakes are higher, and the action is increased. However, there is a clear middle chapter/part one of two feel to this I can't shake, because while this is the middle of a trilogy, it was filmed back-to-back with the sequel, and there are a few loose threads left at the end of the movie. I won't punish it for that, because it still felt like its own thing. Otherwise, the plot is fast and coherent, with some good story symmetry and a whole lot of cool action. Some of it feels really fake, like Neo's flying looking obviously CGI, but considering it's only done in the fake reality, I can let it slide on the grounds of "It's in a computer," and most computers (even today, over a decade later) don't render perfect realism, and back from the first movie, it's the lighting distinction between the two worlds. I'd also like to say that everything felt like it had its place, whether it was the twins (Neil and Adrian Rayment) who seemed like the featured muscle, the addition of Link (Harold Perrineau) to the crew, or the city of Zion and its big orgy scene, it feels like there's a reason to it, especially if you consider they show that kind of action to show how human the people Zion are. Don Davis returns to score for the humans and machines, and his soundtrack is the right amount of techno whether in the Matrix itself or not, especially Burly Brawl, the music that Neo's fight with the multiple Smiths is set to, which conveys the appropriate emotions of the situation (fast and advanced). It's also withheld in a pivotal scene I won't write about here, but I will say it really emphasizes how important the dialogue is, and leave it at that. As for humor, there is no dedicated comic relief, which would have been really out of place in this kind of movie, but as I said earlier, the more human moments of Neo, Trinity, and even Morpheus drew a chuckle out of me, but no major laughter. Even the twins have a small moment that'll make you go "heh," without being a distraction. And once again, the language gets a little salty, but nothing excessive or heavy on the salt. Overall, The Matrix Reloaded is a fine follow-up that still doesn't make me care about the characters, but is only worse for the dangling plot thread or two clearly there for the sequel released six months later.
½ April 2, 2017
Nowhere near ad good as the original.
April 1, 2017
Indulgent pandering.
March 25, 2017
Don't care what ANYONE says, I love this movie!!
March 25, 2017
liked more than the first. this is a shallow movie the philosophy was always crap.