Meet Dave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

July 25, 2016
God Help Me I'm Hurt!

Score: 2.5/10
½ July 18, 2016
Way better than most of the reviews I read, Eddie does a good job but it's nothing on his earlier films.
½ June 24, 2016
A very, very, very funny movie. One of the funnest movies I've ever seen. I just love Eddie Murphy. It also had a very unique story that was funny and unexpected. And it also had some great other actors in it as well such as the security guard in the ship, the 2nd in command of the ship and the lady he gets to know throughout the movie. Oh, and especially the cop who was overly interested in everything and turned out being right. One part I didn't quite like was the fact that they made a huge deal of them not leaving and turning it into a positive thing, and then at the end, they get power back and leave without question. That part didn't make a lot of sense and was anticlimactic a bit. Other than that though, I just loved the movie. It also had some good heart in it as well and was clean so it would be okay for everyone to watch. I like seeing what Eddie Murphy is doing nowadays and part of that is because I watched this movie. Just a hilarious, laugh-out-loud funny movie. Highly recommend.
March 13, 2016
If you're a fan of Eddie Murphy, it is definitely watchable.
February 17, 2016
No thanks, Dave seems unbearable.
½ December 8, 2015
Remember watching it...was ok.
October 19, 2015
If you want to explain why a movie is good or bad, it sometimes helps to highlight hits and misses from the careers of the people responsible for its production. Let's see who were at the helm of 'Meet Dave', shall we?

This movie was directed by Brian Robbins, who has more producer credits to his name than he does director credits. After 'Meet Dave' he directed a couple tv episodes and 2012's 'A Thousand Words', also featuring Eddie Murphy. With both 'Meet Dave' and 'A Thousand Words' failing to impress audiences, mr. Robbins called it quits in 2012 as a director. I'm worried he would have reached new 'Norbit'-like depths had he decided to continue.

On to the next one: writer Rob Greenberg. He was known for writing such hits as 'Harry's Girl', 'Spellbound' and 'Bad Haircut', a bunch of TV movies from the early 2000's. Don't bother looking them up, you won't find much. After 'Meet Dave' his most notable creation was a short-lived TV series called 'We Are Men' with the following plot: "A young guy finds camaraderie living among the more experienced guys he meets in a short-term rental complex." Ahem. Yeah, add a few tv-directorial credits to the resume and you've arrived in 2015.

Should I continue after these two?

I feel bad ripping on the movie's lead actor, Eddie Murphy. His career has been in the gutter after he voiced the tiny Chinese dragon Mushu in the Disney hit 'Mulan', only to get some kind of success with Shrek. But this is no 'Coming To America' or 'Trading Places'. Hell, it's not even 'Metro'. Here, as 'Dave', he has his moments, but they are few and far between. I much prefer it when he writes his own material (except 'Norbit'), but his standup comedy days are in a distant past now.

So what's the problem? I blame it on Murphy's inability to pick decent scripts. Look at his resume since the late 90's: almost all of his films were badly written, directed and ill conceived. And that's where I'm back at the first two people I led to the slaughterhouse: Mr. Robbins and Greenberg.

With all that out of the way, let's talk about the plot here. Dave Ming-Chang (Murphy) is a space ship / vessel controlled by alien miniature humans that has come to earth to retrieve a water-absorbing weapon that had a failed mission to Earth. Still with me? I hope so. Just imagine the production meeting where someone, I suspect Robbins or Greenberg, pitched this plot to reps of Regency Entertainment, the production company. I envision it going something like this:

Exec: "So, you want money from us? For what? What hit did you guys write?"

Robbins / Greenberg: "Dave Ming-Chang is a space ship / vessel controlled by alien miniature humans that has come to earth to retrieve a water-absorbing weapon that had a failed mission to Earth."

Exec: "Wow, that sounds great. It's funny, right?"

Robbins: "Yeah. Eddie is in it. So we're aiming at theatres, not TV."

Exec: "Great, how much?"

Greenberg: "$60,000,000 will do."

Exec" "Deal. Just make sure you double it at the box office. We didn't do too well on Jumper and The Onion Movie."

It probably went something like that.

And well, we all know what happened. The boys got their $60M and Regency got about $11.8M back at the box office. And neither of them was heard from again.

And of story? No. I still had to see this film. 90 minutes of which about 63 seconds in total were worth my time because Mr. Murphy did or said something funny. So you better heed my advice and avoid this in favor of something from Eddie's early days.
July 24, 2015
El concepto es algo interesante, pero la ejecución es horriblemente llevado debido a su ridículo guion al igual que las actuaciones son mediocres.
July 5, 2015
Someone's sure to see this as a cult classic 10 years from now
½ March 25, 2015
this wasn't quite as bad as it's reviews...but it was far from good. And eddie murphy isn't even funny in it.
½ February 20, 2015
Not even remotely funny, and the first fart/poop gag came within a few minutes. I didn't bother to finish it. Unimaginative, and a massively wasted opportunity to really do something great with a kinda cool premise.
January 3, 2015
I couldn't believe this movie was made as recently as 2008 (though I realize it could have been made earlier and had a delayed release). From what little I could sit through, the acting style was wooden and dated (and I'm not just referring to the Eddie Murphy spaceship). The writing/ direction was a joke...but not a funny one.
Seeing Eddie in something this bad just makes me depressed, but it was also clear that talent such as Elizabeth Banks was utterly wasted here.
January 2, 2015
A comedy with Eddie Murphy which was better than expected. Not a superb movie but in a high average level. Story follows a walking alien spaceship (Eddie) with a mission on earth.. sounds strange perhaps but its a decent story actually along with some great scenes. Not quite a laughing out loud comedy but very entertaining throughout the movie.
December 22, 2014
Funny, Histerical and with a good cast.
September 14, 2014
meet no as in no I will never see this piece of shit
August 30, 2014
I love Eddie Murphy but not like this. It's ok, I'm theaters it was good but when I got it on iTunes it wasn't good.
½ August 26, 2014
I find the plot stupid, bland, and cheesy, but I'll give it props for at least having some sort of plot, unlike other movies.
½ August 25, 2014
Eddie Murphy's kind of sci-fi film that's funny with a silly heart and good effects like some other sci-fi flicks (except that their hearts are pure good). (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ July 27, 2014
Pleasant Sunday film. Yes I am disappointed with Murphy's film career choices - which are BAD (not in good) - but I am not a hater. Nice film