The Message - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Message Reviews

½ July 19, 2016
Akkad dodges with creativity the limitations imposed by the very Islam that he wants to depict (to celebrate blind faith, ironically) and creates an epic that should be interesting to those who don't know much about the religion although it contradicts the Quran many times to make it look tolerant.
May 24, 2016
great movie from the great time
December 10, 2015
one of the best films I have ever seen.
August 27, 2015
An epic movie written by the best of their decade Tewfik El-Hakim, Abdel Rahman El-Sharkawi, Abdel Hamid Gouda El-Sahhar, Mohammad Ali Maher and H.A.L. Craig.The movie is based on the first 22 years of Islam showing how Islam and its beliefs of one God and not Idols spreads in Makkah first in secret at night among poor and moderate people including women who seeks decision for living and not buried alive as people custom that time and also African slaves who seeks freedom and rights under the resilience of Islam. The resilience and common beliefs of Christianity are also resembled in the movie with the character of christian farmer who healed injured Mohammad in Taif and the Abyssinia Christian king (al-najashi) who give asylum to the muslim migrants. Moustapha Akkad with his brilliant directing work reflected in this movie. Authentic costumes and art direction of the Arab peninsula at the 7th century. Never filmed battles and towns as described in historical books. Oscars nominated Music by Maurice Jarre. Great performance by Anthony Quinn, Irene Papas, Michael Ansara, Earl Cameron, Martin Benson, Michael Forest and Rosalie Crutchley. Arabic version of great actors Abdallah Gheith, Hamdi Gheith, Mona Wassef, Ali Ahmed Salem and Sanna Gameel.
May 29, 2015
a lavish epic I liked this
April 18, 2015
If you want to know the history of Mohammad
February 26, 2015
This is a classic and epic movie - the one and only movie that you can find that depicts the life of Muhammad - also a great historical portrayal of the rise of a religious and cultural empire.
November 11, 2014
DARNELL WOODY
MOVIE REVIEW #2
THE MESSAGE

PLOT SUMMARY
This movie is about a messenger named Muhammad that is getting words from god to give to the people from a cave in a mountain in 610 A.D. in mecca. The people are in a period of being lost because they are believers of idols. So Muhammad the messenger is trying to deliver the message thru a few people to spread throughout the community. They are not receptive to the word and some even sacrifice their life for the message just to show that it is only one God. Muhammad become the prophet of Islam.
World Religion
This movie relates to World religions because there is a messenger and there is a mass of people who is looking for signs of God from a prophet or leader. Like Christianity the messenger was Jesus and he lead the people to their religion and they followed because he became the messiah of the time. Muhammad became the prophet after Jesus to serve the same purpose to the lost tribe just the same as Jesus and the ones before him. It relates to Hinduism because of the caste systems. The darker the people was the more enslave that person was. It seems that the chosen ones in all religions was for the poor people or people of less fortune.
The issues that most religions have are converting or submission in the beginning. If you are not born into a religion then we assume that all of the others are wrong. From taking this lesson I don't feel that either religion is wrong. Neither religion such as indigenous, Buddhism, or Hinduism are not too far from separation. The people in the beginning believed in more than one God. If we call him Allah or Christ it is the same power that all people in every region respect and thru the chosen ones comes his deliverance of a guidance to walk in a certain way of life. All religions has a connection and a spirit among it. Certain Christians refer to it as the Holy Ghost. Indigenous people call it the Holy Spirit but, it's that energy that lies here and it may take deep meditation to conquer it like a monk or it may take a certain diet to connect or get closer to it. But whatever it is we all have different ways of getting there.
September 16, 2014
Arnela Isakovic
Movie Review: Mohammed, Messenger of God
PLOT SUMMARY
The messenger is a great movie to symbolize the birth of Islam and how it came to be. It is narrated through Mohammed's Uncle. It starts off in Mecca, explaining how Muslims were not able to voice their beliefs because they would be persecuted. Angel Gabriel came to Mohammed, making him believe he should lead the people of Mecca. God asked him to spread the words and convert all the non- believers. During this time, two wars broke out because not everyone agreed that they should listen and follow Mohammed, and the Quraysh tribe was still in power in Mecca. Mohammed receives a message from God one day that tells him to just give up and return to Mecca.
WORLD RELIGION
I think this movie relates to world religion in many different ways. Many people may be visual learners, so watching this movie can really explain a lot more to people. Actually seeing how Islam came to be may be easier to grasp then just reading about it. Also, when reading in the textbook I realized that the movie explained a lot more history behind Islam than the textbook.
½ July 10, 2014
A very good movie explaining the message is Islam and also is very respectful.
May 16, 2014
100% True story of islam.
March 23, 2014
Excelent and accurate movie. I've just been reading the IMDB top 250 list and I found that it isn't on there despite there being films with lower ratings. Interesting... I wonder why that is...
November 16, 2013
The Message is a high quality picture about one of history's most important figures, a figure who goes completely unseen and unheard through the course of the film. This may be the only film in cinema history that has accomplished such a feat with so much grace and flow to it. It's a shame Moustapha Akkad didn't direct more pictures, and it's even more tragic that his life was cut far too short, prohibiting him from doing so, were he so inclined.
August 20, 2013
M√¬™me le chameau il n'aurait pas du le montrer !
La 1 ère fois que j'ai vu le film ,après une heure j'ai demandà (C) a un ami "mais c'est quand qu'on va le voir le prophète ???"
Lol !!!!!
March 29, 2013
Critics in the 70's panned it for being "excessively reverential" toward's Islam's prophet, while films about Moses and Jesus from a Christian perspective earned rave reviews with exactly the same tone of breathless reverence bordering on campiness. No, this is actually a pretty good film, an old-timey religious Epic in the fashion of the Ten Commandments, and what's more- it tells a story most viewers don't already know.

The only obstacle in its telling is the attempt not to show Mohammed or any of his main companions directly. In fact, they are almost completely absent, leaving the entirety of Islam's founding up to Anthony Quinn's Hamza, who historically played a very small role. That is, all of the important events are represented, and in a moving way, but all the wrong people are doing them.

It's time for a remake of "The Message" with a more accurate telling, and actual portrayals of Mohammed's famous followers, but Mustapha Akkad's cautious first attempt is still a pretty good film in its own right.
March 1, 2013
#The Movie 00:54:38 -> she (woman) is different but equal | Quran2:228 but men have a degree over them.
#The Movie 02:39:14,386 -> There is no compulsion in religion | Bukhari (SB:9.84.57) "...Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him."
#The Movie 01:25:19 -> Jews and Christians have equal rights with Muslims | Quran5:51. O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as friends....
#The Movie 01:31:02 -> Fight, but fight in the way of god against those who fight against you | Quran 2:191 And slay them wherever ye find them <= is missing
#The Movie 00:24:31 -> Are these dangerous ideas? | Quran 9:5 ..... kill the polytheists | Stone adulterers (SB 8:81:791), Chop hands for stealing egg (SB:8:82:809), Holy war (jihad) (SB: 1:2:26). [Indeed these are dangerous ideas]

What's not shown in movie about Muhammad
* expeditions post acquisition of mecca (SB:6:1.321), (21.281),
(26.714), (29.87)
* eleven wives [SB1:5:268] and state of affairs in ayesha's marriage (SB 1:6:298, 7:62:60:88), Zainab (Qur'an 33:37), Captive Juwairiya (SB 3:46:13:717), Safiya (SB:2:14:5:68, 4:52:74:143)

Contradications
# The Movie 00:51:11 -> Where are Muhammad's miracles....? | Quran 30:50. And they say: "...."The signs are only with Allah, and I am only a plain warner." | Quran 54:1 1. ........ to show them a miracle, .. he showed them the splitting of the moon)
# The Movie 00:20:07-> but people changed it, turned it, forgot it | 02:26:39 -> ......their testament must be respected ...for their books ..came from god

Summarizing
The Movie 00:26:08 -> But it is wrong..The Gods that let such things be are no Gods
December 10, 2012
After a countless films about Jesus Christ, the prophet in the christian faith, we have to ask ourselves, has there ever been a film about the prophet of the Islamic faith, Muhammad? Yes, there is, it's titled "The Message". But since Mohammad is such a holy figure, he was not to be shown on the screen. The story is told through his uncle, Hamza (Anthony Quinn) and his other followers. But there's some scenes where people speaks directly to the screen. We know that they are talking to Mohammad, and the camera is his point of view. The camera evens nods and moves around like a human being walking around.

The Message is a very good epic, which gives us the essential story of how the illiterate merchant son, Mohammad, received his first revelation in a Cave of Mount Hira. Where god gave him the words of the Quran, and asked him to spread the words and covert all the non-believers. But in Mecca the Quraysh tribe is still in power, and sees Muhammad as a threat, and he flies Mecca and goes to Medina, where he increases his followers. But the Qurayshs is willing to do everything to stop Muhammad's new religious movement, and starts to attack him regularly, while Muhammad does as good as he can, not to spill any more blood than necessary.

The director, Moustapha Akkad does a brilliant job of introducing us to a relligion that most of us doesn't actually know very much about. Except for all the negative aspects that has been made up by the western media, involving terrorism and sharia. Instead The Message gives us the basics of Islam. like, what's the reason people turned to Islam? How did the Paganist ruled Mecca? I think Akkad made the right decision to make this film. I don't mind that we don't see Mohammad on screen. It's only makes the divine present of Mohammad even stronger. But I still love Jesus after seeing him portrayed as an ordinary vulnerable man in "The Last Temptation of Christ" and "The Passion of Christ". The fact that he was an ordinary man with doubts, makes him even more impressive. The facts that he actually was so brave that he actually conducted his father's wishes.

I'm not saying that Jesus Christ is better than Mohammad, all I'm saying is that if you add more depth to your character, the more you empathize with him, the more you grow found of him. I know I'm on dangerous ground here. Other things besides this is that this is in fact a historical epic, with the right tone, the right actors, but after my opinion it's an average looking epic. It doesn't over come Lawrence of Arabia, for instance. But overall it's a good film that shows us how Islam was founded, and why it become so popular. And watching this movie convinced me that Islam in basic is in fact a peaceful religion, that encouraging non-violence and dialogue, and there is some pretty good dialogue in this film. I also loved the ending, showing clips of all the Mosque players all over the world, showing the spread of Islam. I think I stop here by saying "We are all Abraham's children". Thumbs up.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
½ November 19, 2012
The only thing worth watching it for is the historical background
October 25, 2012
First time i watch the English version, it got lesser details than Arabic version but still great