Michael Jackson's This Is It - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Michael Jackson's This Is It Reviews

February 16, 2017
I forgot I even went to see this movie in 2009! Trying to recollect how I felt about it and I remember thinking it was a bit of a patchwork but as good as it could have been rendered in post-production. It was pieced together from rehearsal footage of Jacko's planned final tour and must have been an editor's nightmare!
November 11, 2016
In August of 2009, Michael Jackson, king of pop, legendary icon passed away. Before his imitate death, he was planing a final tour for all of his fans. The tour was called "This Is It". Michael said that this would be his final tour. He said that he would be playing his most well received songs. From "I Want You Back" to "Beat it". The film consists of footage filmed while the rehearsals for the tour were going on. And I have to say that this tour would have been so cool. The film shows the behind the scenes of the tour and some really cool stuff that they filmed for the tour. Like in one part of the film they film a really cool dance for the "They Don't Really Care About Us" segment of the concert. The film is not only great for its style and music. It's an emotional film showing us the final amazing months of Michael Jackson. The film is great form start to finish. This Is It is a fantastic film from start to finish. If your a huge fan of Michael Jackson then give this movie a buy. You'll enjoy it from beginning to end
½ November 3, 2016
I still can't believe he's dead and I can't believe its been 7 years already! I'm not much of a fan and I wasn't planning on going to the concert but wow it looked like it was going to be amazing. Its good to see him rehearsing and and get a glimpse of what he had planned. The dancers must have been devastated to not ever get the chance to perform the show after all those hours of hard work and training. Such a tragedy.
½ October 24, 2016
This is a good film. It gave everyone a look into the genius of Michael Jackson. While he wasn't at his prime physically, he still had the moves and could sing. And he wasn't always giving his best, it was still amazing. Another complaint I have is that there were so many other songs that were filmed, but not put on the movie. I wish that could be changed, maybe a special re-release of the film will happen and we will get all the songs, un edited, and no dubbed vocals, just give us what we might have seen on what might have been the greatest tour ever.
½ May 17, 2016
As a huge Michael Jackson fan this movie is a must see, while i'd rather watch him in his prime performing a concert to a live audience , it is still great to see the King Of Pop at work.
½ April 3, 2016
Well done documentary about one of the most important people in musical history.
February 28, 2016
LAST DANCE FOR THE KING OF POP

Since the project was first announced in August 2009, the new Michael Jackson "This Is It" documentary has been shrouded in mystery. Coveted by Media and fans alike, Sony pictures paid a cool $60 million to acquire (and put on instant lock down) Jackson's personal tapings of over 120 hours of rehearsal footage from his pending 50 show London comeback concert extravaganza.

The tightly protected behind-the-scenes insight from Jacksons April to June rehearsals was originally shot for prosperity, analysis and DVD release extras. However, it now stands as proof of his unwavering talent, a legacy for the fans, and memorial for his lifelong commitment to the music industry.

Remarkably unsentimental, the film shows Michael in his natural habitat, on Stage, doing what he loves, preparing how he planned to share it with the world.

Dazzling audiences for decades with thrilling dance moves and unstoppable tunes, MJ's ten year reclusive absence from the industry ended abruptly when on March 5, 2009 he appeared at press conference in London's O2 arena and announced "This Is It; my final concert tour".

The tour was supposed to begin on July 13 in London, however on June 25th less than three weeks out, in a shock to the world, Michael died. During rehearsals however, Michael had personally commissioned a small team to record the proceedings. This is almost the sole content that makes up "This Is It".

Chronologically following the format of the proposed concert, the 112 minute documentary takes us on a walk through of the creative procedure and the pattern in which 20 of his instantly recognizable hits would have played out.

Director Kenny Ortega (High School Musical's 1, 2 & 3, Hocus Pocus and Michael Jackson Memorial) works with Michael, the backup dancers, musicians and stage crew fine tuning every minute aspect. From sound cues, to complex choreography, to stage movement and motion, Ortega showcases the man's perfectionism, vivid imagination for showmanship and adoration for his colleagues.

The fly on the wall perspective cut between high-definition frames and lower-quality rehearsal footage was brought together in the editing room in an effort to project what the final onstage experience would have entailed. Including the shot prior to his departure, zombie laden "thriller" short film scene seamlessly injected later via 3D special effect, as well as a 1930's Chicago film noir recreation where MJ and Humphrey Bogart engage in interactive "Smooth Criminal" shoot out.

In the years building up to his comeback, Michael's body seemed frail and delicate, seemingly unable to withstand the rigorous schedule he was sure to endure. However, the footage captured shows him easily keeping up with backup dancers literally half his age, demonstrating them a trick or two on how to perfect his signature moves.

Sadly, some cynical critics have been instantly unflattering to this production. Calling its restrictive two week cinema engagement a successful marketing gimmick and a last ditch grab at recovering the money used by the studio during the original concert production.

Personally, I believe even with the hype of mainstream cinema and music these days, the people surrounding Michael are doing what he did best; breaking records. With the film opening simultaneously in over 99 countries and due to swell to over 120 within the next 48 hours, the standing ovation and intermittent bursts of clapping in my cinema's pre-screening last night speaks for itself.

The Verdict: Jackson, even with the extreme controversy surrounding his final years, deserved something to send his unearthly career and legacy into orbit. A lasting image of pop culture supremacy "This Is It" consists merely of pressed factory floor sweepings and does little justice to the man and the legend.

This modest and unpolished concert film acts as a time capsule of prosperity as a final humble memento, capturing that specific instant of history the world will always remember; Allowing Michael to bow out gracefully with just a sly little smile from the always performing King of Pop.

Published : The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication : 30.10.2009
January 31, 2016
Although a bit slow at times, "This Is It" is a fascinating in-depth look into the famed singer- and a look at his final performance that will, sadly, never be.
January 8, 2016
this is probably the best music documentary of all time
December 31, 2015
Michael Jackson's This is It is a career-defining Documentary, a fitting final tribute to an icon of entertainment, and an exceptional film from both thematic and entertainment perspectives. Surprisingly deep and moving but also tremendously fun if only for the enjoyment of the music and performances, This is It is an excellent piece that's sure to please longtime Michael Jackson fans but also serves as a wonderful, no-bias, nuts-and-bolts introduction to the man's music and dance choreography. Both visual spectacle and a celebration of life of one of entertainment's most renowned performers, This is It is simply one of the best films of its kind.
December 13, 2015
A decent send off to the King of pop
½ December 13, 2015
The dancing and the perfecting attitude of Michael Jackson were amazing, it was largely a repetitive bore for me.
½ November 6, 2015
A very well-edited behind-the-scenes clearly made for fans, showing nice rehearsals and backstage footage of Michael Jackson's concert that never was, but let's only hope this is not the ultimate film to be made about him.
October 24, 2015
Simply the best Concert-Movie-Docu ever i gues ! Lots of extra's , behind the scenes on this dvd ! SOMDVD
½ August 30, 2015
A great reminder of how truly extraordinary this entertainer was. It plays like special featurette off of a DVD release, but when you add on the fact that these are the last images you're seeing of Michael Jackson alive, it gives the movie a different feel and dare I say appreciation, because based on this movie, Michael wasn't the unhealthy, junkie, that the media portrayed him as. It was surprising and refreshing to see Michael having full control of the vision of the concert he wanted to create and passively aggressively got others he was working with fall in line with what he wanted to see on stage. This concert rehearsal film should be given kudos for just having the final performances of Michael's, whether we wanted to see them or not, and how Kenny Ortega cut together a film that was, if nothing else, intriguing enough to get people intrigued enough to take a look at it.
August 21, 2015
A "must see" for all those Michael Jackson fans out there, This is it captures the amazing and exciting points in Michael's career. One thing that was amazing was the way the choreographed dancers were trained. It was amazing to watch, and an all-round excellency.
August 17, 2015
Not how I want to remember Jacko, he's looking awfully skinny and emaciated by this point.
August 16, 2015
When it comes to someone like Michael Jackson you need to be able to separate the crazy from the artist. This is a man who has change the face of music entertainment and pop-culture over the past 40 years. His music is amazing, his videos are historic, and his dance moves are still being ripped off by Justin Timberlake etc. so I really appreciated seeing this living legend again. Unfortunately this was a movie of just dress rehearsals and behind the scenes of a concert that never happened. Whenever it comes to a documentary I much prefer the "behind the music" life story version instead of just this moment in time. So strictly for the king of pop I give this a four out of 10. If it was anyone else that this movie was about there would be no reason seeing it whatsoever.
August 12, 2015
ok, probably want to see it if you loved Michael Jackson, but he's only walking through most of the performances.