Michael Jackson's This Is It - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Michael Jackson's This Is It Reviews

March 9, 2019
Sad and great. All at same time.
March 4, 2019
Amazing movie. A classic
September 13, 2018
Such a marvelous documentary showing behind the scenes and much more insight of his career before and after he was creating & performing for his "This Is It" tour which sadly didn't happen due to his death.
September 7, 2018
Do YOU LIKE POP MUSIC OF THE 80's"??? Well, if you say yes, you might always listen about Michael Jackson, the king of the pop.This king has his own documentary that you can find in NETFLIX, this documentary long aproximately: 3:23 hours so you have to get a big pot of popcorn., This film is for all ages but it can be boring to 1-5 year-old kidss. The documentary is called "Tthis is it". It's about Michael's life as a child and as a singer, It has all his performances,CD's and his songs. The director was one of Michael's best friends, so it has lot of personal information.

The actors that tell the life of Michael are :

-Katherine Jackson (Mother of Michael )
-Tito Jackson (brother of Michael)
-Jackie Jackson (brother of Michael)
-Friends of Michael Jackson

The film starts in the 25 of june, Michael Jjackson's death day. All the people get in cuallet because the bigges super star of the era -hwas gone. Then it showsone of the most popular song of the Jackson's 5 band "i'll be there". It tells you how the group starts and why they finish.Then ittaske about the soloist part that he shoos.

The movie was about the history of the king of the pop , all the problems that ocurred in his life and t his death day.
In the documentary they are 4 part importants:
1- The start of the Jackson's 5:
About the Jackson's 5, the group of singers that was made by Michael and his brothers.
2-The start of Michael jackson :
When he got off the Jackson's 5 and made his own music.
3-The sicks of Michael:
The emergency, operations and medical process that Michael gets.
4-The death of Michael:
The conclusion of the way he dies.

I think this film is interesting because is part of the growing of the music and also the life of a superstar.I recommend to see this film and if the points go 1-10 iI put the film 6 because it's way too long.
by: Andrea
May 28, 2018
"Michael Jackson's This is it"
Review by: Doug Nau

Rating: ****/5

Directed by: Kenny Ortega

Produced by: Randy Phillips
Kenny Ortega
Paul Gongaware

Starring: Michael Jackson

Songs by: Michael Jackson

Legendary musical superstar Michael Jackson (a.k.a The King of Pop) takes the stage one last time in this theatrical concert film compiled from over 100 hours of rehearsal footage for the 50 shows he had been scheduled to perform at London's O2 arena at the time of his death. Take a trip behind the scenes to see the mastermind behind such classic pop hits as "Thriller" and "Billie Jean" prepare for the concert that would have crowned his entire career. Produced in collaboration with the Estate of Michael Jackson, the film details the elaborate preparations that took place for two months beginning in April of 2009.

"This is it" isn't the what it could been but is forgiven for all the Jackson's incredibly raw rehearsal footage from the King of Pop! Michael Jackson that will live up to the ambitions of the fans. The performances are really amazing and the set design is really beautiful but my pick for the standout is the Earth song, incredibly powerful performance.Other noteworthy performances is "Thriller"; I especially loved the tribute to The Haunted Mansion in the video at the beginning during the performance, "The Way you make me feel", "They Don't really care about us", and "The Jackson 5 tribute; especially love the beautiful rendition of I'll be there.

What is my problem with the film the lack of insights into the creative process behind the scenes of the show. It made the film feel really choppy in what they wanted to and didn't give us a real sense of the sheer scope of Michael's vision for concert, because its really fantastic performance we were shown from the footages. Despite that minor flaw I think people will get over it and just enjoy the movie for the music and performance. I'm love his work, he has the best male vocals in pop music I've ever heard, as well as the best dancer I've ever seen and he doesn't disappoint in This is it. He so slick and in totally in the moment of each songs in the movie and doesn't show a man who was sick or unable to perform the grueling rehearsals, maybe a little too skinny but nothing else and still got some really mad skills.

So overall not quite as good as it could have been but ultimately is a respectable tribute to a truly amazing performer he is.I had a great time watching all the performances and the electrifying music presented in the movie. It a must see for anyone fans and music lovers! It may disappoint as far as if your looking for insightful facts about the shows development but is totally forgiven.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
After Michael Jackson's death i was addicted to knowing more about him and now he's my favorite singer, and when this movie was released in theaters, literally, everyone in my family went to go see it, and it blew all of us away, each and every music rendition Michael did from his hit songs (yet for some reason they didn't have bad, speed demon, will you be there, or black or white.) R.I.P. Michael Jackson we all miss you, your family, my family, everyone misses you, you were a true change to this world
October 29, 2017
He's energy, music and dancing is almost amazing itself.
October 8, 2017
This is great documentary for Michael Jackson fans, its pretty sad with gonna miss MJ so much
August 1, 2017
In June of 2009, Michael Jackson, king of pop, legendary icon passed away. Before his imitate death, he was planing a final tour for all of his fans. The tour was called "This Is It". Michael said that this would be his final tour. He said that he would be playing his most well received songs. From "I Want You Back" to "Beat it". The film consists of footage filmed while the rehearsals for the tour were going on. And I have to say that this tour would have been so cool. The film shows the behind the scenes of the tour and some really cool stuff that they filmed for the tour. Like in one part of the film they film a really cool dance for the "They Don't Really Care About Us" segment of the concert. The film is not only great for its style and music. It's an emotional film showing us the final amazing months of Michael Jackson. The film is great form start to finish. This Is It is a fantastic film from start to finish. If your a huge fan of Michael Jackson then give this movie a buy. You'll enjoy it from beginning to end
July 5, 2017
I honestly cannot wait to see this movie! You can't get much better than the KING himself on the big screen and our final look at how great he was... this movie will help everyone see who he really was...
June 17, 2017
Absolutely FANTASTIC ! Very enjoyable for anyone, who loves MJ's music. The preparations for Earth Song & Thriller were just amazing,very impressive. He could come trough more than 50 concerts with this energy he had with his 50 years. Its very heartbreaking to see, that all these preperations were for nothing ... It left us just this amazing Documentary... R.I.P KING. I will really miss you so much .
½ June 17, 2017
Oh this was good. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Michael Jackson I enjoyed this very much and watched it with goosebumps. He was a true star, RIP Michael Jackson!
May 27, 2017
Great to see the King of Pop in action but got a little boring towards the second half.
February 16, 2017
I forgot I even went to see this movie in 2009! Trying to recollect how I felt about it and I remember thinking it was a bit of a patchwork but as good as it could have been rendered in post-production. It was pieced together from rehearsal footage of Jacko's planned final tour and must have been an editor's nightmare!
½ November 3, 2016
I still can't believe he's dead and I can't believe its been 7 years already! I'm not much of a fan and I wasn't planning on going to the concert but wow it looked like it was going to be amazing. Its good to see him rehearsing and and get a glimpse of what he had planned. The dancers must have been devastated to not ever get the chance to perform the show after all those hours of hard work and training. Such a tragedy.
½ October 24, 2016
This is a good film. It gave everyone a look into the genius of Michael Jackson. While he wasn't at his prime physically, he still had the moves and could sing. And he wasn't always giving his best, it was still amazing. Another complaint I have is that there were so many other songs that were filmed, but not put on the movie. I wish that could be changed, maybe a special re-release of the film will happen and we will get all the songs, un edited, and no dubbed vocals, just give us what we might have seen on what might have been the greatest tour ever.
½ May 17, 2016
As a huge Michael Jackson fan this movie is a must see, while i'd rather watch him in his prime performing a concert to a live audience , it is still great to see the King Of Pop at work.
½ April 3, 2016
Well done documentary about one of the most important people in musical history.
February 28, 2016
LAST DANCE FOR THE KING OF POP

Since the project was first announced in August 2009, the new Michael Jackson "This Is It" documentary has been shrouded in mystery. Coveted by Media and fans alike, Sony pictures paid a cool $60 million to acquire (and put on instant lock down) Jackson's personal tapings of over 120 hours of rehearsal footage from his pending 50 show London comeback concert extravaganza.

The tightly protected behind-the-scenes insight from Jacksons April to June rehearsals was originally shot for prosperity, analysis and DVD release extras. However, it now stands as proof of his unwavering talent, a legacy for the fans, and memorial for his lifelong commitment to the music industry.

Remarkably unsentimental, the film shows Michael in his natural habitat, on Stage, doing what he loves, preparing how he planned to share it with the world.

Dazzling audiences for decades with thrilling dance moves and unstoppable tunes, MJ's ten year reclusive absence from the industry ended abruptly when on March 5, 2009 he appeared at press conference in London's O2 arena and announced "This Is It; my final concert tour".

The tour was supposed to begin on July 13 in London, however on June 25th less than three weeks out, in a shock to the world, Michael died. During rehearsals however, Michael had personally commissioned a small team to record the proceedings. This is almost the sole content that makes up "This Is It".

Chronologically following the format of the proposed concert, the 112 minute documentary takes us on a walk through of the creative procedure and the pattern in which 20 of his instantly recognizable hits would have played out.

Director Kenny Ortega (High School Musical's 1, 2 & 3, Hocus Pocus and Michael Jackson Memorial) works with Michael, the backup dancers, musicians and stage crew fine tuning every minute aspect. From sound cues, to complex choreography, to stage movement and motion, Ortega showcases the man's perfectionism, vivid imagination for showmanship and adoration for his colleagues.

The fly on the wall perspective cut between high-definition frames and lower-quality rehearsal footage was brought together in the editing room in an effort to project what the final onstage experience would have entailed. Including the shot prior to his departure, zombie laden "thriller" short film scene seamlessly injected later via 3D special effect, as well as a 1930's Chicago film noir recreation where MJ and Humphrey Bogart engage in interactive "Smooth Criminal" shoot out.

In the years building up to his comeback, Michael's body seemed frail and delicate, seemingly unable to withstand the rigorous schedule he was sure to endure. However, the footage captured shows him easily keeping up with backup dancers literally half his age, demonstrating them a trick or two on how to perfect his signature moves.

Sadly, some cynical critics have been instantly unflattering to this production. Calling its restrictive two week cinema engagement a successful marketing gimmick and a last ditch grab at recovering the money used by the studio during the original concert production.

Personally, I believe even with the hype of mainstream cinema and music these days, the people surrounding Michael are doing what he did best; breaking records. With the film opening simultaneously in over 99 countries and due to swell to over 120 within the next 48 hours, the standing ovation and intermittent bursts of clapping in my cinema's pre-screening last night speaks for itself.

The Verdict: Jackson, even with the extreme controversy surrounding his final years, deserved something to send his unearthly career and legacy into orbit. A lasting image of pop culture supremacy "This Is It" consists merely of pressed factory floor sweepings and does little justice to the man and the legend.

This modest and unpolished concert film acts as a time capsule of prosperity as a final humble memento, capturing that specific instant of history the world will always remember; Allowing Michael to bow out gracefully with just a sly little smile from the always performing King of Pop.

Published : The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication : 30.10.2009
January 31, 2016
Although a bit slow at times, "This Is It" is a fascinating in-depth look into the famed singer- and a look at his final performance that will, sadly, never be.