Midnight Cowboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Midnight Cowboy Reviews

January 20, 2017
Midnight Cowboy is grim albeit bold depiction of marginalized citizens trying to make a living - featuring striking performances from Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman.
January 2, 2017
John Schlesinger's direction seems to be too fragmentary for my tastes, casually merging flashbacks, dream sequences and the film's present, and because of that I can't say that "Midnight Cowboy" succeeded in engaging me emotionally. Still, the tale of Joe Buck and Ratso is an interesting one, not least thanks to the presence of Jon Voight and, especially, Dustin Hoffman.
½ December 22, 2016
Midnight Cowboy's unsettling atmosphere and disorienting editing give it the well-deserved title of 'classic' and its complex characters and excellent performances make it worth more than one viewing.
½ December 14, 2016
Superb acting, a classic!
December 11, 2016
Its an interesting tale of identity and friendship in a decaying version of America, but it was hard to get into.
October 29, 2016
Amazing movie - the cinematography is just exceptional and the director takes on many different styles- also amazing how the story has so many different backdrops. In particular the NY scenes - from the initial excitement, the dark underground and the cold reality of the toughness of the city is all spot on. Soundtrack is also fantastic. The acting is beyond superb. A classic
½ September 19, 2016
Midnight Cowboy is a heavy story about a man named Joe Buck from Texas who thinks he can easily make a living as a gigolo in New York. He runs into quite a few problems including a con man played by Dustin Hoffman. However, eventually these 2 form a friendship that becomes the heart of the rest of the film. The journey for Joe Buck is intensified when they include a number of flashbacks that show the darkness of his past trauma. It helped me sympathize with his character, and feel very bad about all the things that happen to him. The subject matter isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I thought the presentation was fairly strong. Life can be dark for people in this kind of position, so the movie probably needed to be this way. I had some difficulty recognizing the significance of Hoffman's character because they didn't give him enough background or motivation, but I appreciated that Joe finally had someone he could connect with on a non-sexual basis. The weirdest thing in the movie was the way that the duo was ushered into the party that kicked off the climax of the movie. That really came out of left field, which kind of bugged me. I wanted some sense to it, some reason for it happening, but the movie offered none. The conclusion was tough, especially since I had started to see Joe as almost a child-like character, so his look of helplessness hit me hard. One last thing that should be noted is the brilliant performance of Jon Voight. The fact that I constantly refer to him as Joe in this review and not Jon is a sign how much he became the character. When I looked at Ratso I saw Hoffman, but standing next to him was simply Joe Buck. Midnight Cowboy is a deep movie, and the fact that it affected me emotionally makes me think it was very effective. I doubt I'll ever watch it again, but I have to admit it's a good film.
½ July 30, 2016
There are two movies in this movie. One is a charming, if a little gritty, story about Forrest Gump's older brother from Texas trying to live in New York. The other movie is about the director having PTSD flashbacks induced by LSD. No matter which movie you watch, or both, you'll leave wondering what the Hell just happened and why you like it so much.
½ July 15, 2016
I get that it might have been a game changer, and the acting is good. It's just a fucked up movie that made me wanna throw up.
June 14, 2016
One of those masterpieces that showcases the other side of american reality.
May 28, 2016
Que gran película!!! La historia, las actuaciones, el montaje,esta película ha dado para muchas después...
May 27, 2016
When I finally saw this, I was deeply moved, and could not stop thinking about it for a few days. The young John Voight is - at age 20-something - as breathless a beauty as his daughter. The con man and the hustler are both deeply damaged people - the hustler in soul, the con man in body. As they struggle through the cruelties of New York, and inflict cruelties themselves, their friendship provides a vehicle for God's grace (note the pictures of the Sacred Heart in their shared hovel). For Hoffman's character, Rizzo, Florida is heaven, and Voigt's character (the hustler Joe Buck) helps him get there. It is Buck's self-sacrifice and love for Rizzo that saves them. Though both of these characters are involved in what is considered sinful activity, there is a sweet naiveté about both of them, which reminds us that everyone was once innocent, that God is still present in the worst of circumstances, and that salvation is a cooperative endeavor.
May 16, 2016
One of my all-time favorite films (and books.) It is so moving.
May 7, 2016
Midnight Cowboy is awful. The acting is hokey, the editing is sloppy and the music is repetitive and annoying. In a year that featured classic films such as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, True Grit and Once Upon a Time in the West, why would the Academy give this movie the award for Best Picture? Sure, Midnight Cowboy may have raised some eyebrows, but it's an ugly movie with dislikable people doing unpleasant things.
April 27, 2016
Just amazing. Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight give two incredible, layered, convincing and natural performances that are just unforgettable. A tragic masterpiece that has quirky editorial touches, thoughtful direction and cinematography, brilliant music to enhance the scenes, a very witty screenplay and every supporting actor gets their very quirky characters absolutely right. And the icing on the cake is definitely the utter perfection of Hoffman and Voight's performances. Amazing.
April 11, 2016
Midnight Cowboy is an excellent film. It is about a naive hustler who goes to New York to seek personal fortune but in the process finds himself a new friend. Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. John Schlesinger did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Midnight Cowboy is a must see.
March 9, 2016
The first X-rated movie to win Best Picture, "Midnight Cowboy" delivers just what you would expect.
March 4, 2016
Texas innocent Joe Buck's search for easy money in NYC but instead finding family and love.
Picaresque-like movie in the sense characters come and go as we follow our hero's journey.
Two stars magnificent in eliciting our sympathy.
Wished treatment of gay characters was more sympathetic and we saw more of the underbelly of New York City (besides Ratso's squat).
Some aspects of direction haven't aged well.
February 29, 2016
A dark and bleak look at the urban life.
½ February 22, 2016
Two losers at the very bottom rung of the American Dream have only their tenuous friendship to sustain them. Schlesinger as an Englishman and an outsider is not too impressed with America or Americans and delivers an honest and scathing denouement, but neither are we impressed with the hallucinatory flash with which he tells his tale. What remains, what sticks, is the acting of the two leads who fully invest in the characters frailties whose weaknesses amazingly leads to empathy rather than disgust.