Midnight Cowboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Midnight Cowboy Reviews

½ October 8, 2017
a great story of friendship told wonderfully by John Schlesinger, and at the center is two pitch-perfect performances by Jon Voight & Dustin Hoffman. It is a timeless classic.
September 10, 2017
10 out of 10:

Midnight Cowboy has to be one of the greatest Best Picture winners out there. It's disturbing, chilling, gripping, well edited, and the two main leads are so good in this movie.
September 1, 2017
Amazing movie. A piece of American culture and history is in this flick. Surprisingly fresh for a 60's movie. Solid acting, solid directing, solid story. A must see.
½ August 31, 2017
Definitely worth seeing for the acting. Dustin Hoffman is terrific in this film.
August 27, 2017
Dustin Hoffman is exceptional.
August 24, 2017
The plot is small and the art direction is manic, but the acting is so wonderful it almost doesn't matter. Midnight Cowboy takes the viewer into the depth of the worst of America in the 70's and hits the right notes on the way to its finish.
August 10, 2017
i enjoyed this movie about 2 misfit losers
½ June 10, 2017
Surely it was a great movie in it's time - still a good and respectable movie now. Good character study with excellent performances by Hoffman and particularly Voight (only to both be defeated at Oscar time by John Wayne #facepalm)
April 10, 2017
Walaupun dikemas dengan arah penceritaan yang tidak jelas, "Midnight Cowboy" agak sedikit menghibur. Kita akan menelusuri beragam halusinasi, memori, ekspektasi dan realita kesengsaraan tokoh utama kita. Mungkin inilah yang membuat kadang kita akan tertawa dengan 'kedangkalan' Joe Buck.
March 19, 2017
me hating this could be because this movie is so old, yet I doubt it, I love lots of movies from the 60s and 70s, yet I found the movie incredibly awkward. Corny, slow and boring, Voight is terrible however Hoffman is great but didnt save this one for me
February 28, 2017
The first X-rated movie to win Best Picture, "Midnight Cowboy" delivers just what you would expect.
February 27, 2017
I am struggling to be positive about this film that somehow won the 1969 Best Picture, Director (Brit John Schlesinger) and screenplay.
Perhaps best known for the sing "Everybody's Talkin' at Me' sung by Harry Nilsson.
The film stars Jon Voight as a Texan dishwasher Joe Buck.
The film begins with Buck starting a new life in New York City as a hustler hoping to earn money as a Texan stud for sex.
Being not very successful he meets a streetwise con man Enrico "Ratso" Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman).
Ratso is not in the best of physical health and has fantasies of a new life in Miami, Florida.
Meanwhile Buck has flashbacks of a shocking sexual assault on himself and his his girlfriend.
The pair struggle by in their squat until towards the end of the film where the pair take a 31 hour bus journey to a Miami (presumably far cheaper than air travel, and it's 1969?)
I found the film depressing and through periods boring. I don't know what the other films were at those Academy Awards.
Perhaps some of the subject matter was a bit X rated at the time but by modern standards is rather tame.
February 18, 2017
A great movie and the soundtrack is awesome
January 20, 2017
Midnight Cowboy is grim albeit bold depiction of marginalized citizens trying to make a living - featuring striking performances from Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman.
January 2, 2017
John Schlesinger's direction seems to be too fragmentary for my tastes, casually merging flashbacks, dream sequences and the film's present, and because of that I can't say that "Midnight Cowboy" succeeded in engaging me emotionally. Still, the tale of Joe Buck and Ratso is an interesting one, not least thanks to the presence of Jon Voight and, especially, Dustin Hoffman.
½ December 22, 2016
Midnight Cowboy's unsettling atmosphere and disorienting editing give it the well-deserved title of 'classic' and its complex characters and excellent performances make it worth more than one viewing.
½ December 14, 2016
Superb acting, a classic!
December 11, 2016
Its an interesting tale of identity and friendship in a decaying version of America, but it was hard to get into.
October 29, 2016
Amazing movie - the cinematography is just exceptional and the director takes on many different styles- also amazing how the story has so many different backdrops. In particular the NY scenes - from the initial excitement, the dark underground and the cold reality of the toughness of the city is all spot on. Soundtrack is also fantastic. The acting is beyond superb. A classic
½ September 19, 2016
Midnight Cowboy is a heavy story about a man named Joe Buck from Texas who thinks he can easily make a living as a gigolo in New York. He runs into quite a few problems including a con man played by Dustin Hoffman. However, eventually these 2 form a friendship that becomes the heart of the rest of the film. The journey for Joe Buck is intensified when they include a number of flashbacks that show the darkness of his past trauma. It helped me sympathize with his character, and feel very bad about all the things that happen to him. The subject matter isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I thought the presentation was fairly strong. Life can be dark for people in this kind of position, so the movie probably needed to be this way. I had some difficulty recognizing the significance of Hoffman's character because they didn't give him enough background or motivation, but I appreciated that Joe finally had someone he could connect with on a non-sexual basis. The weirdest thing in the movie was the way that the duo was ushered into the party that kicked off the climax of the movie. That really came out of left field, which kind of bugged me. I wanted some sense to it, some reason for it happening, but the movie offered none. The conclusion was tough, especially since I had started to see Joe as almost a child-like character, so his look of helplessness hit me hard. One last thing that should be noted is the brilliant performance of Jon Voight. The fact that I constantly refer to him as Joe in this review and not Jon is a sign how much he became the character. When I looked at Ratso I saw Hoffman, but standing next to him was simply Joe Buck. Midnight Cowboy is a deep movie, and the fact that it affected me emotionally makes me think it was very effective. I doubt I'll ever watch it again, but I have to admit it's a good film.