Mimic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mimic Reviews

November 24, 2017
paint by numbers formula movie, this is the 90s version of Empire of the Ants, i prefered the originial
September 29, 2017
Good "home-made" movie by Del Toro.
January 26, 2017
No matter how you look at it, in the end it is a movie about giant cockroaches.
½ January 10, 2017
(director's cut) A bit long, but full of cool images and creepy ideas. Mimic is a film that will entertain, but remain far more interesting due to the idea of what could have been without its troubled production.
½ October 26, 2016
It was a cool idea. I hate bugs but this seemed a little far fetched my taste. Not bad overall but nothing special.
September 10, 2016
Oh yeah..If you hate cockroaches and shit you've got to see that..!
½ June 5, 2016
It's no splatter film, but it's just as disgusting with all of the gruesome insect effects, even more disgusting than films like Braindead (1992), and Dead Snow (2009). It's pretty cool too, it get's you captivated and it's full of entertaining suspense and disgusting but great bug effects, kinda reminds me of the shitty Mosquito (1995). The acting is terrific and the story's alright, but one thing's for sure, this is part of the best giant bug movies ever. Recommended !!
June 4, 2016
I kinda think the Director's Cut for this is beautifully done. The choice of using cockroaches as a source of creature-horror is a brilliant idea and used to perfection. It's a beautifully filmed and well-paced slow builder that delivers on thrills and atmosphere.
½ April 14, 2016
>Director's Cut< Mimic has all the care and style of a Guillermo del Toro film, the film simply can't get past a dull story-line and generic creature-feature moments. The environment is very dark, you never really get a good look at anything, but it does help the film's suspense. There are nice horror elements to it, and some decent effects. The characters are unmemorable, as is the monster. Some of it works, some of it doesn't.
March 27, 2016
This is based on the director's cut version. The film seems polished and more plot driven, I enjoyed the theatrical cut but this seems more complete. The intensity in the underground train station has never been so perfect. I consider this film to be one of my guilty additions to the library and it sits pretty high on my list. Shame that the film wasn't more successful and the sequels weren't VOD, just happy a polished directors cut was an option.
December 28, 2015
Too stupid to be sophisticated and too boring to be fun, this yawner is scareless and pointless.
November 30, 2015
Not bad. Kind of a generic 90s horror film. Could have been much better, especially with Guillermo del Toro at the helm. That being said, it's a decent film. Random complaint, but I wish that the lighting was better here. It's so hard to see what's going on sometimes.
November 19, 2015
Generic and mediocre effort
½ November 6, 2015
Bit too much like alien for me, but still nice.
½ November 3, 2015
Really liked this horror flick.
November 1, 2015
A fun sci-fi horror flick!
October 31, 2015
While cheesy and stereotypical at times, Mimic has some interesting ideas that Del Toro tries creatively to explore.
October 30, 2015
This movie kept me interested until the last twenty minutes because the ending was entirely predictable. The ending sucked so much that it ruined the entire movie. Dont waste your time with such garbage.
½ October 27, 2015
For a creature feature from the 90's I actually enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought I would. Mimic is light on plot, but has enough interesting moments in it to keep the story moving along. One of the few Guillermo Del Toro film's I hadn't watched until now Mimic has a lot of background history about how Del Toro never got his full vision of the film because the studio kept dipping their hands in everything. Regardless it's surprisingly well done still. The movie centers around a scientist named Susan Tyler (Mira Sorvino) who develops a bug that kills off cockroaches that are spreading a disease thats resulting in the deaths of hundreds of kids in New York. Zoom into three years later and Susan has married another fellow doctor named Peter Mann (Jeremy Northam) and is still researching bugs. What she soon finds out after a string of mysterious disappearances and deaths is that the bugs she developed didn't just die off like she hoped they would. The bugs have gotten bigger and bigger and smarter. The bugs themselves are mimicking humans and its pretty gross haha. Soon enough Susan and Peter find themselves in under the streets of New York investigating the source of these big ass bugs along with a shoe shine man named Manny (Giancarlo Giannini) who's searching for his grandson and a police officer named Leonard (Charles S. Dutton) a cop that at first seems like a total prick, but has a heart of gold..or something like that. Overall, the movie has pretty creepy scenes (in Del Toro fashion the overall sets and design give off a slightly gothic feeling to them). The CGi is used a bit here and its dated, but not the worse I've seen for a movie thats 18 years old. Overall, a cool little monster movie that I recommend ya give a look at if the subject matter interests ya!