Mimic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mimic Reviews

September 10, 2016
Oh yeah..If you hate cockroaches and shit you've got to see that..!
½ June 5, 2016
It's no splatter film, but it's just as disgusting with all of the gruesome insect effects, even more disgusting than films like Braindead (1992), and Dead Snow (2009). It's pretty cool too, it get's you captivated and it's full of entertaining suspense and disgusting but great bug effects, kinda reminds me of the shitty Mosquito (1995). The acting is terrific and the story's alright, but one thing's for sure, this is part of the best giant bug movies ever. Recommended !!
June 4, 2016
I kinda think the Director's Cut for this is beautifully done. The choice of using cockroaches as a source of creature-horror is a brilliant idea and used to perfection. It's a beautifully filmed and well-paced slow builder that delivers on thrills and atmosphere.
½ April 14, 2016
>Director's Cut< Mimic has all the care and style of a Guillermo del Toro film, the film simply can't get past a dull story-line and generic creature-feature moments. The environment is very dark, you never really get a good look at anything, but it does help the film's suspense. There are nice horror elements to it, and some decent effects. The characters are unmemorable, as is the monster. Some of it works, some of it doesn't.
March 27, 2016
This is based on the director's cut version. The film seems polished and more plot driven, I enjoyed the theatrical cut but this seems more complete. The intensity in the underground train station has never been so perfect. I consider this film to be one of my guilty additions to the library and it sits pretty high on my list. Shame that the film wasn't more successful and the sequels weren't VOD, just happy a polished directors cut was an option.
December 28, 2015
Too stupid to be sophisticated and too boring to be fun, this yawner is scareless and pointless.
November 30, 2015
Not bad. Kind of a generic 90s horror film. Could have been much better, especially with Guillermo del Toro at the helm. That being said, it's a decent film. Random complaint, but I wish that the lighting was better here. It's so hard to see what's going on sometimes.
November 19, 2015
Generic and mediocre effort
½ November 6, 2015
Bit too much like alien for me, but still nice.
½ November 3, 2015
Really liked this horror flick.
November 1, 2015
A fun sci-fi horror flick!
October 31, 2015
While cheesy and stereotypical at times, Mimic has some interesting ideas that Del Toro tries creatively to explore.
October 30, 2015
This movie kept me interested until the last twenty minutes because the ending was entirely predictable. The ending sucked so much that it ruined the entire movie. Dont waste your time with such garbage.
½ October 27, 2015
For a creature feature from the 90's I actually enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought I would. Mimic is light on plot, but has enough interesting moments in it to keep the story moving along. One of the few Guillermo Del Toro film's I hadn't watched until now Mimic has a lot of background history about how Del Toro never got his full vision of the film because the studio kept dipping their hands in everything. Regardless it's surprisingly well done still. The movie centers around a scientist named Susan Tyler (Mira Sorvino) who develops a bug that kills off cockroaches that are spreading a disease thats resulting in the deaths of hundreds of kids in New York. Zoom into three years later and Susan has married another fellow doctor named Peter Mann (Jeremy Northam) and is still researching bugs. What she soon finds out after a string of mysterious disappearances and deaths is that the bugs she developed didn't just die off like she hoped they would. The bugs have gotten bigger and bigger and smarter. The bugs themselves are mimicking humans and its pretty gross haha. Soon enough Susan and Peter find themselves in under the streets of New York investigating the source of these big ass bugs along with a shoe shine man named Manny (Giancarlo Giannini) who's searching for his grandson and a police officer named Leonard (Charles S. Dutton) a cop that at first seems like a total prick, but has a heart of gold..or something like that. Overall, the movie has pretty creepy scenes (in Del Toro fashion the overall sets and design give off a slightly gothic feeling to them). The CGi is used a bit here and its dated, but not the worse I've seen for a movie thats 18 years old. Overall, a cool little monster movie that I recommend ya give a look at if the subject matter interests ya!
½ October 25, 2015
With the exception of his latest film, Crimson Peak, I've seen every film that Guillermo Del Toro has directed, I've also seen a lot of films that he's helped produced or had minor involvement in, but I'm fairly certain that I know a lot about Del Toro and his particular style. I won't say I'm the most knowledgeable GDT fan in the world, because I'm not, but I'm someone who thinks that he's one of the more creative filmmakers on the face of the planet as far as it relates to poetic and surrealist visuals and excellent monster design. But, honestly, this is the least Del Toro film that I have ever seen. Like there's bits and pieces, like he obviously has a thing for insects if you've seen any of his films then you know know this by the imagery he uses. He has a thing for monsters/creatures, again, this is obvious if you've followed his career. Those things are obviously present here but, outside of that, there's not much here that feels like it came out of Del Toro himself. If you were to put his entire filmography on the table and you were to pick which one didn't belong, then it's obvious that everyone would pick this film. It just lacks something that has made his other films so unique and inventive. And, on top of that, it's just not a very good movie to begin with. Maybe the studio had a lot of creative control with the film, and why wouldn't they since they pretty much hired an unknown to the United States, at the time. So I'm sure they had some control over the content of the film, but it never feels like it's Del Toro's vision. He's fulfilling someone else's. Granted, the film IS based on a short story, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't have implemented his own little touches. So I don't think it's that, I just think it was the studio simply having too much control over the creative direction of the film that really held the film back. I don't know how Del Toro would describe his experiences while making this film, maybe he had a positive experience, because he's worked with major studios since then. So, who knows, maybe this was his vision. But, sincerely, whether the end result was his full vision or not, as much as love GDT, this just isn't a good film at all. This is during the late-90s, the post-Scream days, where horror had gotten a jolt of life, after pretty much being dead for most of the decade, but this movie doesn't really do much that feels like it should warrant a look. The acting is, actually, pretty awful. I'm assuming that the studio had an important part to play in who was cast and everything, because, while some of the people in this film are talented, they just don't seem like people GDT would work with. With the exception of Josh Brolin, perhaps. Regardless of whether or not GDT also had a hand in casting, the fact remains that it just isn't very good. The writing is also very lackluster. While I do think the acting is shitty, it's not like the dialogue does them any favors honestly. There's some decent monster make-up though a lot of it, sadly, is done with CGi and not with practical effects. This is the one where, I know, that Del Toro had no hand in, because if you've followed his career, then he's a big fan of practical make-up effects and he's used it incredibly effectively throughout his career. There's definitely some practical stuff here, but CG pretty much overtakes everything and it is to the detriment of the film. It's impossible to look at the film through 1997 eyes, I'm watching this in 2015, but the CG just looks terrible. It might have been decent at the time, but I just thought it looked absolutely awful. Some cool deaths and gore aside simply aren't enough. Though I do think that, with the right mindset, there's a goofy time to be had here. Like you can sit back and make fun of it. That's what I did and that, to me, made the movie infinitely more watchable than it had any right to be. If I was feeling particularly vicious, then I would've eviscerated this movie. I had originally given the film 2 stars, but I felt that was being too kind to the film so I downgraded it to 1.5. I feel that's a more 'accurate' score. Plus some people might accuse me of playing favorites with GDT and, while I'm a big fan of his, I'll call a dud a dud and this is, by far, the worst film in his filmography. I know someone somewhere using this film as proof for why GDT isn't actually a great director, even though his filmography, for the past 20 years, has been stellar. Unless you're a GDT historian or fanboy, there's no real reason anyone should ever watch this. It's not a good representation of how talented this guy can be. Still, this is quite a bad movie.
½ October 18, 2015
Underrated sci-fi/horror movie with a neat concept, some fun creature effects and an all around neat gorey factor.
½ October 17, 2015
Mimic does have some similar themes to other genre films, it is tonally uneven and the characters and acting are really forgettable, but this is still an underappreciated movie as it has its strengths, mainly the authentic creature design, very entertaining action sequences and overall a solid plot and atmosphere. It is a flawed, but still a fun and memorable experience.
½ August 13, 2015
A mediocre sci-fi yarn where giant cockroaches are invading. Unfortunately, it devolves into a typical monster movie, carrying with it nearly every trope. [C]
½ August 13, 2015
I remember really liking this movie when I was younger. Watching it now, it's definitely a 90s movie. I don't know what that means. But those opening credits sure give off that vibe. Reminds me of the opening credits for Final Destination. I'm surprised this movie has such a low viewer rating. I mean, for better or worse, it is a by the numbers sci fi horror film. But i think it does its job nicely. Interesting and intimidating villain. Good acting. Although I guess the characters could've been better developed. I still remember as a kid being surprised that two kids get picked off in the film! Pretty crazy. But the mushy cliche of the husband surviving the explosion by jumping into the water last second was pretty lame. I guess it would've been a bit of a bummer if he did die though. But good flick. May not add up to much at this point in time but it's a fine product by del toro early in his career.