Mimic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mimic Reviews

February 13, 2018
Del Toro's "Mimic" is a well-illustrated movie with a fitting cast, but poor screenwriting. The film seems like it copies Gordon Douglas' "Them!" from 1954.
½ January 22, 2018
It's not even good bad. Great cast and a waste of good talent.
½ December 31, 2017

[Guillermo del Toro]
November 24, 2017
paint by numbers formula movie, this is the 90s version of Empire of the Ants, i prefered the originial
September 29, 2017
Good "home-made" movie by Del Toro.
January 26, 2017
No matter how you look at it, in the end it is a movie about giant cockroaches.
½ January 10, 2017
(director's cut) A bit long, but full of cool images and creepy ideas. Mimic is a film that will entertain, but remain far more interesting due to the idea of what could have been without its troubled production.
½ October 26, 2016
It was a cool idea. I hate bugs but this seemed a little far fetched my taste. Not bad overall but nothing special.
September 10, 2016
Oh yeah..If you hate cockroaches and shit you've got to see that..!
½ June 5, 2016
It's no splatter film, but it's just as disgusting with all of the gruesome insect effects, even more disgusting than films like Braindead (1992), and Dead Snow (2009). It's pretty cool too, it get's you captivated and it's full of entertaining suspense and disgusting but great bug effects, kinda reminds me of the shitty Mosquito (1995). The acting is terrific and the story's alright, but one thing's for sure, this is part of the best giant bug movies ever. Recommended !!
June 4, 2016
I kinda think the Director's Cut for this is beautifully done. The choice of using cockroaches as a source of creature-horror is a brilliant idea and used to perfection. It's a beautifully filmed and well-paced slow builder that delivers on thrills and atmosphere.
½ April 14, 2016
>Director's Cut< Mimic has all the care and style of a Guillermo del Toro film, the film simply can't get past a dull story-line and generic creature-feature moments. The environment is very dark, you never really get a good look at anything, but it does help the film's suspense. There are nice horror elements to it, and some decent effects. The characters are unmemorable, as is the monster. Some of it works, some of it doesn't.
March 27, 2016
This is based on the director's cut version. The film seems polished and more plot driven, I enjoyed the theatrical cut but this seems more complete. The intensity in the underground train station has never been so perfect. I consider this film to be one of my guilty additions to the library and it sits pretty high on my list. Shame that the film wasn't more successful and the sequels weren't VOD, just happy a polished directors cut was an option.
December 28, 2015
Too stupid to be sophisticated and too boring to be fun, this yawner is scareless and pointless.
November 30, 2015
Not bad. Kind of a generic 90s horror film. Could have been much better, especially with Guillermo del Toro at the helm. That being said, it's a decent film. Random complaint, but I wish that the lighting was better here. It's so hard to see what's going on sometimes.
November 19, 2015
Generic and mediocre effort
½ November 6, 2015
Bit too much like alien for me, but still nice.
½ November 3, 2015
Really liked this horror flick.
November 1, 2015
A fun sci-fi horror flick!