Minority Report - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Minority Report Reviews

October 21, 2016
"Minority Report" is the 2002 thriller sci-fi film directed by Steven Spielberg ("Close Encounters of the Third Kind") and written by Scott Frank and Jon Cohen, it is loosely based on the 1956 short story written by Philip K. Dick. The film is set in the year 2054, in Washington D.C. D.C's PreCrime police stops crimes before they happen, reducing the murder rate to zero. They are able to predict the felonies throughout the "Precogs", modified humans capable of having visions of future crimes. At PreCrime, the Precogs reveal a prediction saying that the chief of PreCrime's police, John Anderton (Tom Cruise), is going to murder an unknown man. John flees the building and goes on a mission to find answers regarding the crime he will supposedly commit, all while running from Precrime's police.

As we live and see all of this recycling in Hollywood, where studios just do the same superhero movie one after the other, and great Sci-fi thrillers are either forgot due to its little advertisement or simply overshadowed by the bigger studio names like Marvel and DC or it's own remakes, it is refreshing to see such an original fun piece (which was a success), that still feels great even after a second watch. Someone who watches lots of films can tell you how hard it is to find films like "Minority Report", a movie with a plot so original and done so well, so goddamn well, that gives you hope... It reminded much of 2012's "Looper", a similar sensation popped up, but a think I was the happiest with "Looper", because it was 2012, you know... so that means that even tough these truly original (Sci-fi or not) type of films only come up from time to time it is nice to know that they will probably keep on coming, and hopefully at a faster rate.

Aside from its originality, probably the best thing about this film is its production, it's a beautiful film, great scenery, awesome special effects and CGI that still hold up and is not overused. The film's script is smart and even funny at times, with no cliches and some great scenes and dialogue. The film's shots and camera work too are great, doing amazing short single-shot sequences that enhance the film's action, along with great fighting scenes that thrill. But, tough great, the film is not flawless, if there is one complaint it would be Spielberg's humongous overuse of white freaking light. Holy fu**, I'm am not kidding, the use of white in this film is unbelievable, it is SO distracting, I do not understand what was the purpose, I don't know, I really don't. But yeah, this is probably the biggest problem, it can be really distracting, but the movies exciting plot will probably make you forget about it. Another small disappointment for me was John William's score, it was not bad, I thick, because I couldn't pretty much hear it, it wasn't too noticeable, an odd thing to say to about a John Williams score.

The film's acting is also great with Tom Cruise playing another one of his "Ethan Hunt" type of characters, but... this one is quite different. John, Cruise's character, is "Ethan Huntish" in a way that he is an awesome fighter that knows all these skills and stuff, but he is a very broken character. There has happened lots of different tragedies in John's life, and that has changed him, all of this give's much more depth to a character that could've easily be just a lazy crafted movie spy, but filmmakers create a very good relatable character that is very much well developed. Cruise's performance is great, as said, the character is really relatable and the movie's hero, cruise's undatable charm and great acting chops help to create a great lead man to this fine film. Besides Cruise, there is a number of character, tough most of em' appear only for some few scenes. Colin Farrel is ok as the sneaky cop that wants to bring PreCrime down and John with it. Also beside Cruise is Samantha Morton, the talented actress does fine, unfortunately only appearing too little and only in the films final act. Amongst other names are Max von Sydow, Neal McDonough, and Kathryn Morris, all giving fine performances.

In the end "Minority Report" is a fun, smart, entertaining, weel-directed and well-acted film that, as said, gives us hope for a future with more original high budget sci-fi dramas that honor the genre. 4/5.
October 7, 2016
I rewatched this and forgot how intense, interesting, and well acted it was.
September 19, 2016
A movie Donald Trump believes is true and should not be in the sci-fi section. Donald Trump thinks he too can prevent crimes of thought beforehand by lone-wolves. Donal Trump is delusional. You don't have to be.
September 18, 2016
Mind blowing sci-fi action packed epic from the great Steven Spielberg!
September 8, 2016
Really great premise, not surprising coming from the mind that brought us Blade Runner, but to have this premise in the hands of the mastermind Steven Spielberg was a good choice. There isn't really a dull moment in the whole film, some slow parts sure but not useless, there are some great character development moments as well as some great action sequences. For a 2002 movie, this has some great special effects as well.
½ August 15, 2016
The dialogue goes between generic, expositional and just plain bad. Otherwise, this is one of Spielberg's more inventive and thrilling films, presenting a super cool sci-fi vision (personalized ads, self-driving cars, flexible video screens) and a twisting mystery that is always one step ahead of the audience. A futuristic Mission: Impossible...in fact, let's give Spielberg a shot at that series!
½ August 14, 2016
Minority Report is a movie directed by Stephen Spielberg and stars Tom Cruise, if you weren't already interested, this movie is amazing. This film showcases another great movie based off of a Phillip K Dick novel and is the best one since Blade Runner. This also shows Tom Cruise's best performace until Collateral two years later. Spielberg did incredible work with this movie and in 2002, was his best movie since Saving Private Ryan. Solid Awesometacular.
August 12, 2016
A brilliant scifi idea which is presented well at the beginning of the film but as it goes on it starts to become a dragging film which lasts too long.
August 5, 2016
Minority Report is directed by Steven Spielberg, and it stars Tom Cruise, Colin Farrell, Samantha Morton, and Max Von Sydow in a cyberpunk action mystery adaptation of The Minority Report by Philip K. Dick about the Chief of PreCrime, which is a department where the police goes to get the criminals from actually doing something bad in the future based on 3 psychics, and when it showed the chief's vision of when he murders someone, John Anderton (Tom Cruise) runs away from PreCrime and he tries to prove his innocence as he doesn't know the person that he is going to kill in a day or 2. I was pretty excited to see this again as I've seen this and liked it, but it had been years ago, and I wanted to go back to this. So after going to rent it and see it, Minority Report is one of the most inventive films that I've seen from Steven Spielberg's career. Tom Cruise did a fantastic job in this that I think it's one of his best performance. The special effects look amazing to this day, and it brings the world they created some life to it, even some of the effects that they created are actually used as actual things in the recent times. The writing by Scott Frank and Jon Cohen is very well written that brought in a lot of thought provoking moments. The action scenes are a lot of fun to watch, and the characters are very three-dimensional, especially since the main hero isn't perfect as he has done stuff that are not good. I know people have a problem with the ending being inconsistent to the overall film, and I'll admit it does look and feel different from the film, I was honestly fine with it, and some theories on it, made it seem that it was intended to be that way to be faithful to the adaptation that people might not realize. Minority Report is a fantastic film that it is one of Steven Spielberg's best films.
July 30, 2016
Wow - amazing production and story though felt like it should have ended unhappily. Could a pre-crime unit stop random acts of terrorism we see today? That might be the only way.
July 29, 2016
A bit to sci-fi for my liking but good otherwise.
July 28, 2016
Tom Cruise stars in this excellent, pulse pounding Science Fiction thriller directed Steven Spielberg. Everything about this film is brilliant. Tom Cruise gives a great performance, the direction from Spielberg is neat, and the story and concept are legitimately thought provoking.
July 23, 2016
A fantastic and intense sci-fi thriller
July 17, 2016
The best-case scenario marriage of good screenwriting, direction, special effects, pacing, and - yes, Mr. Cruise - acting.
½ July 15, 2016
The story is interesting at the beginning but turns into a simple chase movie. It is hard to follow the dialogue which is important because many important story arcs are revealed through dialogue. The acting is standard acting for this type of movie. Overall it's a good chase movie.
July 10, 2016
classic sci-fi movie. great story, lots of cool scenes. very creative and innovative. some really cool action scenes. but what stands out above the rest are 1) the premise and the way it was executed and 2) the story. very clever. (about 4 viewings)
July 10, 2016
Although intense and smart, Minority Report ultimately looks kinda cheap.
July 5, 2016
Yes another Spielberg masterpiece
June 17, 2016
Tom cruise is a great actor but the plot to this movie is a little strange
June 14, 2016
Futuristic dystopian and mythological dilemma. Becoming a classic in our new securitarian society.