The Minus Man Reviews

• Dec 06, 2018

Hampton Fancher's The Minus Man is a methodical, chilling excursion into the mind of a serial killer. Not much different from the better known Henry: Portrait of a serial killer, this movie is not a comfortable motion picture to sit through. The lack of overt violence and gore deepens the sense of unease. Watching Vann's tale unfold, we should be gripped by revulsion; instead, there's a strange fascination. Like Henry this movie takes us into an alien world and strands us there for a little while by way of showing things from the killer's point of view. This movie may not invite emotional participation, but it gives its audience much to ponder.

• Dec 30, 2017

What a delightfully strange film, a nice send up on serial killers and perfect for someone looking for something different.

• Sep 18, 2017

Dark, Deadly & Delicious.

Dark, Deadly & Delicious.

• Feb 10, 2017

I guess suspense dramas do not need a comforting ending.

I guess suspense dramas do not need a comforting ending.

• Aug 13, 2016

I think it was genius and the ending has almost a nearly Twin Peak type of twist, and I wondered was the father guilty of the Missing Daughter, the recordings on the tape was not erased but the husband killed the wife to try to cover up for the 1 person he now looked up to, because he reminds him of himself? I'm just wondering does anyone else have those same thoughts. This movie was awesome because it was something the whole family could watch yet it was suspenseful and horror included because you never knew what he would do next , you didn't know where he was from or what actually happened in his life that made him suddenly snap, and why it was very hard for him to actually feel, there is room for a Minus Man part II

• Jul 10, 2016

What did I just watch? So many actors I like in this movie but so very odd. I don't know what the point even is. Everyone is so awkward and though I do appreciate the power of silence in dialogue there are so many long odd silences. And the actors could exchange looks but more often each face is expressionless. More than that even the faces are completely devoid of expression and the pregnant pauses seem pointless and empty. I kept waiting for some insight or understanding.

• Jan 01, 2016

Owen Wilson is very weird in this interesting and unusual film that, even though it is not very violent or exciting in the usual psycho genre type, is none-the-less creepy to the nth degree, so that you can't look away. It leaves you feeling very disturbed in a quiet sort of way.

• May 31, 2014

A pretty interesting take on the serial killer genre but poorly executed. I forgot that there was a time in the 90's where Janeane Garofalo was the cute love interest.

• Mar 30, 2014

Really solid film, with an interesting take on a serial killer who comes off as one of the nicest people you could know. He also has an interesting method as he never forces his poison on his victims, but they rather choose to partake of it as they believe it is simple armoretto. I also like the ending or non-ending as some may call it.

• Jan 28, 2014

Review by Jesse Burleson of VIEWS ON FILM Directed by the guy who scripted the futuristic Blade Runner and possessing daydreaming sequences that involve two philosophical detectives, The Minus Man follows the journey of low key serial killer Vann (with 2 n's) Siegert. Owen Wilson plays Siegert and at the time, he took this serious role in between comedic stints like The Cable Guy (1996) and his big hit Wedding Crashers (2005). His performance is pretty impressive. He comes off as a relaxed, laid back psychopath. His character seems to be nonchalant, carefree, and having the equivalent of a resting heart rate in the mid 30's (just a little movie speculation). He's a drifter who according to the proceedings, lost his father, doesn't owe anyone any money, and wants to I guess, end people's lives because of their suffering (I guess he's that kind of sicko). He goes around poisoning people by persuading them to take a drink out of his silver flask full of Amaretto. It is mentioned that he may be from Oregon and is heading down the California coast. He decides to stop at a small town and rent out a room. While there, he gets a job as a postal worker all the while continuing to commit murders as he masquerades as a normal, shy person. He even befriends a married couple (The Durwins played by Brian Cox as Doug Durwin and Mercedes Ruehl as Jane Durwin) and catches the eye of a co-worker in Ferrin (played by Janeane Garofalo). Everyone seems to like him and take him in. He's easy to be around, seems to be attractive to woman, and is even able to evade any policemen who don't seem to take the time to wanna solve his killings (there is a sketch of his face in the local newspaper and it looks nothing like him). Throughout The Minus Man's 1 hour 50 minute running time, you never sense that he is in any danger of getting caught or spending his life in prison. That element, which was interpreted by myself, only added to the calm, creepy vibe that forced me to think about things long after the final credits rolled. The Minus Man although categorized as your typical crime drama, is different in that it focuses more on the antagonist and hardly ever hones in on the authority figures trying to capture him. Its plot and the unmotivated actions by the main character aren't exactly clear. However, you'll still be pulled in as a viewer because of the stylishness, the somberness, and the cast of capable B-listers (Brian Cox, Janeane Garofalo, and rock star Sheryl Crow). The script is wittingly and intelligently written by director Hampton Fancher. As mentioned earlier, he co-wrote the sci-fi bender Blade Runner. If you've seen that film, you can tell that he uses his touches as a writer in that same light featured here. He's totally complex in his wording. There's a little bit of irony and you'll notice by the dialogue spoken by the actors, that nothing is what it seems. I thought it was interesting that this is the only vehicle he has ever helmed (but you wouldn't know it). He knows where to put the camera, he's good with light (I like certain scenes that are shown in a ray of bright sunshine), he lets his shots pan out, and he edits well in cuts. "Minus" was made 15 years ago. I kinda wish Hampton wasn't out of the loop and maybe someday, he could put out something new (doesn't matter what genre, I'm game). All in all, I did this movie's title, I love its indie feel, and I think what translates on screen, is a capably numbed down thriller. Upon a second viewing, I now dub it as quietly, almost sheepishly disturbing stuff. And give credit to Wilson for being in almost every frame not to mention holding the screen in the palm of his hand (without doing a lot, just underplaying to perfection). Overall, as a rare art flick depicting a psycho killer, The Minus Man is nocturnal bliss from the reclusive 75 year old Fancher. It gets a "plus" for being a solid, late 90's cinematic tool of faux translation.