Miss Bala - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miss Bala Reviews

May 5, 2016
Un monton de eventos desafortunados. Sabia a lo que me atenia, solo que pense seria un poco mas entretenida.
January 28, 2016
One of the best films that shows the drug issue in Mexico. Entertaining from beginning to end.
½ November 12, 2015
Powerful film. Stephanie Stigman gives a great performance; her face the entire second half is haunting. Very intense, Laura's POV keeps the audience hostage themselves. Some good tracking shots, reminded me a lot of the final parts of Children of Men. The sense of menace Laura must be feeling was palpable to me as well, the threat of potential physical violence she was dealing with almost the whole movie was tense as hell.
August 26, 2015
So fucking intense, and filled with great tracking shots.
June 27, 2015
bit boring. all good except the story line. work of director is a week link in this movie
May 27, 2015
Gerardo Naranjo away from what impressed us with Drama / Mex narrative within the daily tragedies. It presents a film that never takes its way, in empty moments, at times do not find that connection with the protagonist, seems what suffering is only her and never viewer.
April 29, 2015
Is in a list of "great but under-rated movies I should see" (Apr2015 article)
October 28, 2014
Stephanie Sigman is brilliant as the lead who is simply looking to enter a beauty contest but ends up in the pocket of criminals. Brutal in places but exceptionally well directed this offers a rare viewpoint from a female victim rather than a male protagonist. Despite the fact that some scenes feel slightly disconnected from the overall narrative it hits a highly satisfying conclusion
½ August 6, 2014
Young Laura has aspirations of entering the local beauty pageant but things go very wrong. Through a sequence of unfortunate events and no fault of her own she ends up working for the local drug cartel. Not surprisingly nothing good comes from her relationship with the local gangsters and her life is forever changed.
While the movie is about the life of Laura - it is also very much about Mexico - or at least that's what we're led to believe. In the final scene some stats are shown about the absurd number of people who have been killed because of the drug trade and how much money the drug trade generates. The movie not only wants to show us what drugs have done to Laura but also what they have done to Mexicans. If the movie is to be believed Mexico is a very fearful and violent place where corruption rules the day.
This of course plays into our (my) stereo type of Mexican life. Dangerous gangs fuelled by the drug trade commit atrocities against innocent victims. Something tells me that there is something to this stereotype - but you can never forget that this is a work of fiction. Which leads us back to the movie.
When I watched this movie two things came to my mind. If Angelina Jolie had played the role of Laura I think this would have been a very different movie (obviously). But what I mean by this - is that Laura is vulnerable, her female weakness is laid bare. This movie could very well have been told in terms of revenge and the female heroine could have been portrayed as kicking male ass (that's why the comparison to Jolie) but that's not what happens in Miss Bala. Sure Laura is heroic in her way - especially in the scene where she saves her father and brother - but she's also incapable of standing up to her captors. She's a heroine, but she's a weak heroine. This makes the movie plausible, even believable.
The second thing that came to my mind was the movie Heat (the 90's movie with DeNiro and Pacino). The method in which the violence was portrayed was similar. The violence wasn't abundant, but when it was there you knew it was there. Naranjo doesn't hide anything in terms of violence but he also doesn't make it a central characteristic of the movie. Personally I admire when a movie tells it like it is without having to go to gratuitous levels of crazy. Naranjo makes you understand that the situation without revelling in the blood shed.
July 26, 2014
I didn't really like this film. It was predictable and uninteresting, even though the basic plot seemed to have potential for more than the obvious.
½ July 20, 2014
The movie is done well but it fails to make you care about the character. I was bored throughout watching this movie.
½ May 23, 2014
ive now posted this review 3x WTF fliuxter?
½ May 19, 2014
"Miss Bala is a tremendous cinematic achievement; both a stunning technical exercise in sustained tension and a rich allegory highlighting the hopeless scenario facing an entire society caught in the crossfire of a futile drug war"
May 2, 2014
Some very compelling set pieces, but the characters' motivations are completely unbelievable. Laura struck me as too naive, and the drug kingpin struck me as not brutal enough. This is basically standard Hollywood melodrama set against the backdrop of Mexico's drug wars. The film does a disservice to both.
½ March 24, 2014
Meksicka cura na zadatku.
½ December 3, 2013
An intense but ultimately tragic statement on organised crime in Mexico. Very well acted.
November 19, 2013
Mexican drug war film story that's very eloquently crafted. It's perfectly paced with the threat of anxiety throughout. 9/10
November 6, 2013
Eerie, unforgiving, unflinching and powerful. A tense, beautifully shot film thats gives a belabouring look at Mexico's drug cartels. Sigman excels as our beauty queen unwittingly dragged into a complex and dark world.
October 27, 2013
Una vision directa e incomoda al mundo del narcotrafico donde todo tiene un costo muy alto.A ver
½ September 16, 2013
Dark, gritty, realistic and tense. A very realistic journey through a bad situation that just keeps getting worse.