Miss Congeniality Reviews

• Apr 28, 2021

To summarise the whole film in two words; barely passable. The plot revolves around Gracie Hart (Sandra Bullock) being entered into a beauty contest as an undercover agent regarding suspicions of a domestic terrorist attack at the crowning ceremony of said beauty contest. To begin with, Sandra Bullock's tomboyish character is completely unlikeable; she's seemingly intended to come off as unable to adjust and handle the new lifestyle (going from tomboyish to the embodiment of a girly girl), but instead comes off bratty and selfish. The climax of the movie involves her storming off because she doesn't want to participate in the contest anymore, completely forgetting she's not in for the fun of it, she's doing so to protect hundreds, potentially thousands of lives. Of course, that is not Ms. Bullock's fault, even someone of her caliber couldn't save the frankly rubbish script, unfortunately. And where to begin with her coworker/love interest? While barely passable in comparison to our main character, he has his own unique problems. He can get a tad creepy at times, showing up outside out heroine's bedroom window whilst attending the contest and coaxing her out to the swimming pool (leading to the climax of the film), but as I said, he's there. Some of the contestants are quite interesting, and I quite enjoy the subverting of expectations (though they play into some stereotypes, but that is to be expected) through, instead of being catty, they are actually quite kind to her, and separate the art from themselves. And the villain(s) are quite funny, though unfortunately not the most compelling. Alongside that, you can stop and start watching this film at any point and quickly understand what is happening, though that is likely due to the fact that there is little interesting that happens that would warrant more than 3 seconds of your attention and require any more of your brain power than you'd use for sleeping or walking. Overall, a passable viewing experience. If you want something to play in the background as you do something else, then today is your lucky day!

• Apr 01, 2021

It was funny at times, and when it gets into its feminist subplot, it can actually be pretty engaging, but overall it feels a bit forced with some glaring tropes and plot holes that make it hard to believe. Sandra Bullock gives a good performance as both sides of her alter-ego, but I never really felt like they were actually the same character - it feels more like Bullock is playing two separate characters than one character trying to act like another. William Shatner's ridiculous performance is quite welcome as he steals most of the scenes he's in. I appreciated how it's able to poke fun at the beauty pageant industry without feeling misogynistic or offensive. That being said, it could have used a lot more diversity in its representation. This one can be a good watch if you're in the mood for something silly, but I'm not sure I'd watch it again.

• Nov 25, 2020

Sandra Bullock is stunning in this role, Miss Congeniality has well-produced performances and a story that is not lost.

• Oct 07, 2020

funny and stupid; 'nough said

funny and stupid; 'nough said

• Jul 02, 2020

Bullock makes it a lot of fun.

Bullock makes it a lot of fun.

• May 01, 2020

You know when your date is like "Let's see Miss Congeniality", and you give an inner eyeroll? Well, your bad. This movie is shockingly enjoyable. Michael Caine is great, Sandra Bullock proves her physical comedy chops.

• Apr 18, 2020

I love the strong female lead! it's very funny. the bar scene is great. - Tana 2020! YEET

• Jan 22, 2020

This movie makes my dad laugh out loud, that's worth a lot to me.

This movie makes my dad laugh out loud, that's worth a lot to me.

• Jan 03, 2020

i recall liking this quite a bit when I watched it a few years back... it's clear to see some tropes are a bit problematic now though

• Dec 10, 2019

Im definitely not the target audience for this movie. I was bored through a lot of this movie.