Miss Congeniality Reviews

• Oct 28, 2019

I really love this movie. It's definitely my favorite SandyB movie. 79%

I really love this movie. It's definitely my favorite SandyB movie. 79%

• Sep 20, 2019

One of my guilthy pleasures in life.

One of my guilthy pleasures in life.

• Jul 25, 2019

Sandra Bullock at her funniest.

Sandra Bullock at her funniest.

• Jul 10, 2019

Another comedy classic that is sure to remain a favorite in my collection. It catches quite a few laughs.

• Mar 06, 2019

The laughs are far and few between with a silly script not helping things either. This flick is anything but beautiful !!

• Jan 03, 2019

Bullock is funny but the movie itself is not.

Bullock is funny but the movie itself is not.

• Dec 13, 2018

Miss Congeniality: That Funny Movie That Doesn't Waste Your Time We all have had those movie experiences where as soon as the movie begins, we start to wonder why we're still watching. We all know what it's like to walk out of the theater feeling like we wasted not just our money, but also our time. With today's rising movie prices, it's unfortunate to walk out of the theater disappointed as more and more movies are sequels, prequels, or spin-offs. Americans have begun to search for a new movie. A movie that both meets entertainment criteria and provides an enjoyable cinematic experience for its viewers. For years, the pool of possible acquisitions has been dwindling as more and more failing movies are released. However, I'm here to announce that the search is over. In Miss Congeniality, Sandra Bullock plays the role of the successful young FBI agent Gracie Hart. Though she is a young woman, Hart has trained hard and earned a high-ranking position in the agency. She appears intimidating and exhibits more masculine qualities than feminine ones. When Hart is placed in a life-threatening situation, she makes an error in judgement which later results in a series of arguments with her boss McDonald, played by Ernie Hudson. Frustrated with Hart's incompetence, McDonald assigns a new case called "The Citizen" to one of her colleagues, Eric Matthews, who is played by Benjamin Bratt. Through a series of letters written by the terrorist, Hart helps Matthews and his team discover the Citizen's next planned attack. To their astonishment, the designated target is the Miss United States Beauty Pageant. With not much time to prepare, Hart is thrown into the pageant as Miss New Jersey in an attempt to thwart the Citizen's plans and to reprove herself to McDonald. Knowing Hart's looks would not place her in the Top 5, Matthews hires the one and only beloved beauty pageant connoisseur, Victor Melling, played by Michael Caine, to train and beautify her. From waxing to walking, Melling presents Hart hours later as a beautiful woman competing under the name Gracie Lou Freebush. To her peers astonishment, she fits right in with the rest of the competitors and eventually finds herself friends with Cheryl Frasier, Miss Rhode Island, played by Heather Burns. While the FBI identifies Frasier as a likely suspect, Hart discovers her true character and quickly realizes she is innocent. As the final round of the pageant rounds the corner, McDonald announces to the rest of the agency that he has discovered the suspect in Nevada and decides to close the case. However, as suspicion of Frasier has diminished, Hart suspects something from the pageant's host, Kathy Morningside and her "assistant" Frank Tobin, played by Candice Bergen and Steve Monroe. Despite the rest of the agency, Hart decides to stay and participate in the pageant, for the safety of her friends. As Matthews prepares to board a flight leaving the pageant, Melling discloses important information regarding Morningsides's relationship with her assistant, who happens to also be her son. With not much time, Matthews rushes back to the pageant only to find Hart struggling to protect everyone on her own. With Matthews' help, Hart is able to save Frasier, the new Miss United States, from being decapitated by an explosive crown. After Morningsides's arrest and the close of the pageant, Matthews admits his love for Hart and the two share a kiss. As Hart prepares to leave, she shares in a speech her gratitude for the pageant and her new lifelong friends. Frasier crowns Hart "Miss Congeniality" with a standing ovation. What's unique about Miss Congeniality is its combination of humor, action, and romance. If you're looking for humor, Miss Congeniality has got it. If you're looking for action, this movie has it. What about romance? You know where to go. There isn't a second where you're not laughing, on the edge of your seat, or aweing at the love on screen. While there's multiple unique aspects about the movie, one of the greatest is its foundation of producers, writers, and cast members. Miss Congeniality was produced, written, and mainly acted in by females. Especially in today's society, this is a sort of "woohoo" moment for women. Powerful scripts accompanied by powerful actresses brings a fairly compelling cinematic experience to its viewers. "But wait," you say, "this movie is probably like every other chick flick I've seen." In part, you're right. There's the classic dumb blonde, the hulky FBI agent, and the innocent main character torn between doing what she's told and doing what's right. That's simply what gets people to the theater in the first place. It's what director Donald Petrie and writer Marc Lawrence do with the characters and script that makes the movie worthwhile. First off, Sandra Bullock lives and breathes her character. I'd have a hard time believing anyone who said she doesn't play Grace Hart well, considering most of her other roles in movies are the strict (The Proposal), capable (Two Weeks Notice), sneaky (Ocean's 8) woman who captures everyone's attention at first glance. It's clear she does her job well. Not only is her character appropriate, so is her script. Bullock rocks her script so well, you almost forget she's playing a character. It's more as if you were watching her chaotic day-to-day life (as an FBI agent in a pageant) than a movie she was cast in. Her sarcastic comments and snarky remarks make quoting her character easy and casual. As the main character, Bullock doesn't fall short when it comes to being convincing. Secondly, classic scenes and stereotypical characters can enhance a movie if presented the right way. Pair the two with comedy and you've got yourself a prize. Obviously brainstorming with a pageant in mind, writer Marc Lawrence had a choice to make. He could draw from a variety of blondes and present them as dumb women competing for a crown, or he could use a stereotypical pageant competitor as a lead into a bigger picture. Lawrence chose the latter and we owe our thanks to him. When Frasier is first introduced on the screen, the audience could infer her personality perfectly drawing from the dumb, blonde, pageant-obsessed stereotype. However, Lawrence used the stereotype as a mere introduction and it wasn't until Hart came to truly know Frasier that the audience did as well. The opinions of Frasier's character from the beginning of the movie were completely different from the opinions at the end. Thus, we see how good use of classic scenes and stereotypical characters can assist in the comedic progression of a film. While there's no shortage of romance or action, the comedy drives the film. The characters revolve around the satire and just like that we find ourselves begging for more. It's not just through believable characters and classic scenes that a movie becomes "good". Enjoyable cinematic experiences mean nothing if they aren't memorable. The most beloved movies are the ones that most of us can quote, even if they haven't seen them. Watching Hart wrestle on stage with the newly crowned Miss United States or discovering that each contestant "stands for world peace" not only makes viewers laugh, but makes viewers remember. Memorable movies are more likely to become recommended movies and recommended movies are more likely to become top-sellers. Therefore, they are more likely to become referred to as "classics" in casual conversation. There you have it. If you want a "must-see" you have one. Whether you're running around all day busy as can be or sitting on your couch with nothing better to do, give Miss Congeniality a shot. Your time won't be wasted and neither will your money. Even if you are a boring, stone-cold, heartless movie-critic-wannabe, at least you'll walk away with some good quotes and memorable scenes to play back over and over again.

• Sep 07, 2018

I think this is a good movie because Sandra Bullock is a good actress in my opinion and really like the way she delivers her lines and fully comits to her role. I find this movie interesting because her character does not care what people think but then has to go undercover to a beauty pagent and basically get judged and change completely. It's funny because her character doesn't fit in there but she has to pretend the best she can. She is very believable in this movie. The feeling you get at the end of this movie is good because its funny and just relaxing to watch.

• May 18, 2018

Seen 2012ish. No rewatch

Seen 2012ish. No rewatch

• May 12, 2018

Miss Congeniality is a 2000 American action comedy film directed by Donald Petrie. This is a funny comedy with Bullock in fine form once the pageant begins.