The Monster Squad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Monster Squad Reviews

½ August 10, 2017
Not a great movie. But a fun one that I have enjoyed since I was a kid many many many times.
June 27, 2017
A wonderful mix of 80's humor and special effects with old school Universal Studio monsters. A must see for its campy dialogue and over all enjoyability. A true classic.
May 30, 2017
Goonies meets Halloween. One of the best.
½ April 2, 2017
Oh my god, if you love 80's stuff, whether you grew up in the 80's or were born later but like some 80's stuff like I am, then I would highly recommend giving this movie a watch. Everything campy and awesome from fun 80's movies and tv shows is here. Even if you weren't born in the 80's, i still check this movie out.
January 2, 2017
I know it is really stupid and cheesy, mas I really like this movie.
December 25, 2016
De mis favoritas ever!
November 19, 2016
25 point separation between audience and critics who love dramas and especially love documentaries.
November 12, 2016
Another reason never to listen to the Tomatometer. This film is a classic. To any parent that wants to introduce their children to scary movies, this is ideal. It's one of the few films where little kids beat up monsters!
October 29, 2016
Gotta love the 80's flicks!
½ October 27, 2016
is this a kids film?? is this a childish mature film?? I don't know but. I FRICKING LOVE IT!
½ October 23, 2016
This movie is awesome! That's right, awesome! Is it utterly ridiculous and nonsensical? Yes. Is it terribly dated to the 80s? Oh most definitely. But in the end, none of that matters because Monster Squad is a near perfect piece of entertaining fluff that will make the kid in all of you jump for joy.

And "why is that?" you may ask. Just look at the premise! Everything about this movie is a total nostalgic trip. Here you have five classic Universal movie monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, the Wolfman, Gillman, and the Mummy) teaming up to take over the world (it's never explained HOW they plan to accomplish this by the way) and going up against a group of likable 80s kid stereotypes who feel like the discount Goonies. Throw in some goofy 80s cheese and a short running time of 82 minutes and you've got yourself an unforgettable piece of goofy fun.

If nothing else, this is a great Saturday night buddy movie to laugh and marvel at. Have at it!
September 6, 2016
Bunch of savvy kids that have their own secret club, a neat treehouse base and end up on a spooky adventure trying to stop supernatural forces...you could say this has a 'Goonie' influence. Hell the young boys even have a fat kid amongst their ranks and he wears loud brightly coloured shirts too.

The plot is hammy as hell but it is suppose to be a homage and twist on the classic B-movie horror genre and of course Universal horror monsters. Putting all the big name supernatural beings together and sticking them in the 80's (present day back then). All the classic monsters including Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Gill-man, the Wolf Man and The Mummy teaming up to try and take over the world with a supernatural amulet, only the kids can stop them. The only way they can be stopped is to open a portal into limbo and kick them through...this whole idea visually looks identical to the portal sequences in the 'Evil Dead' franchise.

So the whole thing is really cheesy and silly as it is suppose to be a kids flick, but it is?? There is actually some quite edgy scenes in the film with visible blood and body parts! when Wolf Man gets blown into pieces for example, nothing much hidden. Some scenes are also a bit scary for the younger viewer in my opinion. Again Wolf Man attacking people and transforming in classic 'American Werewolf' style, stakes through various hearts with blood, Dracula trying to actually kill the kids and the makeup doesn't skimp with realism.

The monsters all look as they should in classic style but they certainly aren't tame by any means. Wolf Man has a much wilder vicious look which is pretty scary, Gill-man is the best if you ask me, he looks terrific, whilst Frankie is as expected as is The Mummy. Its only Dracula who doesn't really thrill, the casting seems a bit off to me, the guy in the role just doesn't look right, he's too young and 'modern' looking if you get me. There are also Dracula's vampiresses who look as you would expect but they have no purpose in the film, kinda under used idea really, clearly crammed in.

Naturally there are plot issues a plenty which don't really matter but they do stick out. Why exactly does Dracula have Frankie in the first place?. Where did Dracula get that big black slick custom hearse?? he's only been in the US about one day! and how did he get a hold of that big mansion? is it his?? The most obvious to me was why exactly Gill-man, The Wolf Man and The Mummy all joined Dracula in the first place, they all just appeared and teamed up. So before hand what exactly did Gill-man do? he just like...lived in the swamp? how did he and The Mummy know Dracula had arrived in the region? I'm guessing it was his supernatural powers. None of the monsters have any real backstory, it all just happens.

The silliest of all was in the finale when Van Helsing appears from the portal to drag Dracula through it. But if Helsing was in limbo how did he get out to do that? and wouldn't he wanna try and stay in the real world once getting out?! I'm pretty sure it wasn't easy.

Its certainly a strange beast this film, its hardly for kids with the blood, monsters and Dracula going around snapping cops necks, yet it is aimed at kids with the young Goonie-esque line up. The young cast are good but the whole time you can't help but think they really wanted Corey Feldman, Haim and Astin in the main roles. Pretty much cast everyone from 'The Goonies' in this and while you're at it call it 'Goonies 2'. End of the day the film was just an excuse to bring back all the classic B-movie monsters and have them looking top dollar with modern makeup (for the time of course). And it works plain and simple, the plot is daft with many holes but it doesn't really matter, its a flick for ghoulish monster lovers with a touch of Indy adventure for good measure.
August 24, 2016
No está a la altura de la mayoría de las películas del estilo que se hicieron en los 80
July 15, 2016
A bunch of famous horror characters plan to rule the world but a bunch of American school kids have different ideas. Something of a cult classic
June 29, 2016
While this was a fond part of my childhood, growing up has made me realize how bad it is at times. This probably has some of the worst child acting ever in a movie. The premise is interesting and the costumes are great, but I think the story doesn't always flow as well as it should have. Still, it is a fun movie to watch at Halloween with the kids.
April 18, 2016
This is a movie about Dracula the Frankenstein monster the wolf man the creature from the black lagoon and a mummy. It is a great movie see it.
April 14, 2016
I love this movie action horror so on love to see a reboot
more darker groovy lines team up moviefor the horror fans yeah
February 10, 2016
Si usted está acostumbrado a las películas de niños sorteando peligros y obstáculos cual adulto de películas de superhéroe de ahora y le han gustado películas como ET, Goonies y Super 8 pues esta no lo decepcionará. Sin duda no tiene los efectos que tiene Van Helsing en donde juntan también a estos monstruos, pero el trabajo del genial Richard Edlund, viejo tigre de mar de los efectos prácticos y visuales, y algunos monstruos creados por el genial Stan Winston y Tom Woodruff
Jr. son destacables en su apariencia, justo lo que uno desea de una película de monstruos a esa edad. Si bien las actuaciones no son destacables, lo que más importa es el trabajo artístico de estos genios de los efectos que saltaron a la fama con otras películas, además de la historia que es hasta cierto punto poco convencional y a ratos pareciera que subida de tono como película tipo B. A mi me la recomendó Polo Jasso, creador del Cerdotado de Milenio Diario y definitivamente no me decepcionó.
February 10, 2016
A proper tribute movie to the classic Universal monsters.