Monsters and Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters and Men Reviews

October 31, 2018
Fantastic, emotionally packed and moving film. The Director, Reinaldo Marcus Green, captured varying viewpoints on a very controversial subject leaving the audiance wanting more. The actors totally embraced their characters and made you really feel their emotions. So glad that I was able to participate in the Q&A session with the director and one of the actors which was very informative. This film is a must see.
October 16, 2018
Great film! Powerful message!
October 15, 2018
Outstanding debut feature. Solid performances all-around lend to a script that is grounded - film feels real and present as it addresses topical issues and embodies and explores and exudes the Black Lives Matter spirit. Triptych structure is refreshing and is handled both smoothly and powerfully - the fact that we don't get to bid a fond farewell to these three main characters makes the film that much more resonant because it avoids that typical Hollywood gift-wrapped ending. John David Washington is especially impressive in the second act of the film (the scene at the table is my favorite - what restrained yet impactful delivery!).
October 12, 2018
Fantastic movie about life in age of stop and frisk and eric garner. not brutal, beautiful.
October 12, 2018
This movie is the best film of the year!!!!! A must see. It will keep you talking about it for a while.
October 11, 2018
Monsters and Men does an incredible job of allowing the audience to see through the eyes of its characters both the beauty and darkness within their communities and the world. It overflows with humanity, and I could not help but to face my own biases about how I navigate the world as a woman, and the ways in which I am conditioned to protect myself, sometimes at the expense of seeing the humanity in the less privileged communities around me. Reinaldo Marcus Green did an incredible job of showing the complexities of these issues, the loud voices we sometimes hear spreading hate in every community, and allowing us to process them along with the main characters. Seeing this film impacted me in a way few precious films have.
½ October 11, 2018
Provides a multifaceted view of the aftermath of a shooting of a civilian by a police officer and weaves the many perspectives into a loose narrative displaying the myriad emotions and consequences that arise as a result.
*AMC A-List Movie #22
October 11, 2018
In a creative panorama where cinema is often just sensationalistic entertainment, it is refreshing to watch a movie that tackles a tough, but very real subject without trying to impose a "vision". With elements that remind me of Haneke (Cache'), director Reinaldo Marcus Green captures the realities of the people surrounding the killing of an unarmed black man by a white police officer with depth and sensitivity. The only difference between the events narrated in the movie and what happens disturbingly often in real life are the fact that in "Monsters and Men" Green does not think for you, he does not instrumentalize tragedy, like the media do, all too often. This is done through subtle, effective performances, intimate camera work, seamless editing, and an intelligent, well written script. I think that if you are feeling like you would have loved to see "more" of the story, or "how it ends", then you may need to ask yourself a couple of questions. Questions that go beyond political views, regarding sheer human empathy in the way we have become used to "taking in" the news we hear. I know I do.
October 11, 2018
While the content & subject of the film was nice to see and moving, the plot, if you could figure it out was greatly unstructured, although I believe it was intentionally left unended as the headlines that this movie is based on is still open ended.

The movie needed a little more closure within the different storylines, could've done with cutting a lot of the fat as it kind of dragged in some parts and was hard to watch all in one sitting. I think critics are afraid to comment because of the subject matter bu this movie is a 2 1/2, 3 at most. A little more time invested into closing some of the stories & giving a clear path for the audience to follow would have made this movie a 3.5 or 4.
October 11, 2018
Urgent and relevant film, handled with grace and an even keel - a must see.
October 10, 2018
Although this film is quite suitable for the climate we're in, it definitely lacked structure.

It drug on and on and jumped into at least 4 different storylines but with no discernible plot for either. We were left without a denouement.

I'm still curious as to what happened to the characters. Film needs closure.

-The Media
October 10, 2018
Don't miss this film that will have Oscar buzz in the coming months!
It captures real issues and is done by a writer/director dynamo Reinaldo Green.
October 10, 2018
Its 3-protagonist structure can prove frustrating for some, but the performances and Reinaldo Marcus Green's sensibility in subtle direction can warrant a viewing
October 10, 2018
a must watch. deeply moving- amazing performances, writing, and direction.
October 9, 2018
Don't miss this film that will have Oscar buzz in the coming months!
It captures real issues and is done by a writer/director dynamo Reinaldo Green.
October 8, 2018
One of the best movies I've seen this year! This one everyone needs to see! We all may learn something from this film. Salute to The Green Brothers!
October 8, 2018
Monsters and Men is a must see! Green's work is strong, honest and profound. He takes us through the same journey, but through different perspectives in such a unique way. A captivating, memorable film!
October 8, 2018
Compelling and heartfelt look at divergent perspectives on one officers use of lethal force. Not quite a traditional narrative format but never flagging in it's authentic representation of people on all sides of the conflict around this hot button issue.
½ October 8, 2018
A poignant, extremely important film that everybody should be watching. Reinaldo, the director, a fellow NYU alum, masterfully interweaved three stories that tell us what the status is of race in America, specifically New York. And he also showed us the importance of what everyone can do to make a difference in our society.
October 8, 2018
This movie blue my expectations out the water. I stumbled upon a preview of it by accident and decided to check it out. This isn't your typical cops vs the people movie. This movie takes us into multiple perspectives and shows us how every person is affected. Denis happens to be my favorite character. A black police officer. Quite the dilemma in the situation he's put in. We follow his internal struggles as well as others. This movie falls in the same vein as Fruitvale Station so if you want to see a great film about real people... Check this one out!