Mr. Brooks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Brooks Reviews

November 15, 2017
Costner's finest performance. Slick from the first frame to last, this fluid, mesmerizing story features excellent performances throughout, with first rate camera work accented by very tight dialogue. Costner should stick to the darker roles going forward, it's clearly his sweet spot.
November 14, 2017
Very well acted by Costner and Cook. Pretty entertaining overall.
October 28, 2017
I love this thriller. In my Top 10 Halloween Movies...The ending still frightens me. Costner & William Hurt...are BRILLIANT. Hurt hurts my stability more. Costner is so Charming,..you realize how men get away with murder.
September 14, 2017
Kevin Costner is haunting as a man who's addicted to killing. William Hurt, Demi Moore and Reiko Aylesworth are good in supporting roles. Most unusual but very entertaining as well
August 24, 2017
Seen it more than once. Good suspense and twists.
July 7, 2017
I'm astonished by the bad reviews. I find the film impressive. The blending of subplots are well executed. Dane Cook is perfect as the blackmailing, killer wanna-be. I can watch the movie often and find nuance deserving of appreciation.
May 28, 2017
Great psychological thriller with good character building and a unique storyline. Cool twist at the end, too.
May 28, 2017
Another one to see on DVD.
April 23, 2017
it was and alright movie
March 4, 2017
This is the most horrible movie I think I've seen despite the fact that they got Kevin Costner and Demi Moore to act in it. Costner's performance was on and off, and Demi seemed like she'd rather have been anywhere else. The story line is creepy to begin with, and it's presentation is confusing and meanders A LOT! The creators seemed like they couldn't figure out how much they wanted to reveal, and kept changing their mind as they went along. There was only implied violence, and then when they finally decided to show the audience some, it was more extreme than necessary, especially when they hadn't shown any so far. As far as thrillers go, this was just unsettling and certainly not worth it.
FiLmCrAzY
February 18, 2017
It's enjoyable, but nothing to taxing to watch.
January 29, 2017
thought it would be better , slow paced i thought
½ January 29, 2017
Such a great movie! kept me on my toes and wondering what will happen next. The only thing i didn't like was the ending. Will there be a second movie? i want to know does Earl Brooks get caught? also does Jane keep the baby? Does she get caught and go to jail too? How does Emma feel about all this? How does she not know? Where does she think MR. Brooks is every night? So many un-answered questions.
January 25, 2017
I love Dane Cook, so I think I'll have to see it.
January 14, 2017
The movie was alright. I give it points for it's premise and unique story line but got a little far fetched at some points. Demi Moore's character and storyline I thought took away from the movie's main character and title "Mr. Brooks". I recommend it as a rental. Has some interesting moments and almost succeeded as a very clever thriller.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
October 15, 2016
"Mr. Brooks" is the 2007 thriller drama film directed by Bruce A. Evans ("Stand by Me") and it's written by Evans and Raynold Gideon. The plot follows Earl Brooks (Mr. Brooks), played by Kevin Costner, a wealthy businessman, that is revealed to be a serial murder. He hasn't been active for 2 years, and one night gets the urge to kill once again. That night he is seen by one Mr. Smith, played by Dane Cock, who takes pictures of Earl in the act. Mr. Smith offers Earl a deal, where Earl lets Mr. Smith join in the murders or else Mr. Smith would give the pictures to the police. Mr. Brooks accepts the conditions as he joins Mr. Smith in car ride as they look for a victim. While that happens, a veteran detective named Tracy, played by Demi Moore, investigates Mr. Brook's recent murder, whilst trying to settle her divorce. The cast counts also with William Hurt as Marshall, Earl' "friend" and psychological alter ego, Marg Helgenberger as Emma, Earl's teenage daughter, and Danielle Panabaker as Jane Brooks, Earl's Wife.

"Mr. Brooks" offers nothing original to its genre, becoming nothing more than a poor man's "American Psycho". What director Bruce A. Evans does is, pick a semi-fresh, though interesting idea, that could work and turn it into a predictable, poor-executed and cliche-filled movie. The film's very first scenes are OK and give us hope for an interesting film, showing us William Hurt's great first impressions and Costner's quiet performance. Tough as the movie progresses it becomes a trainwreck, with four different subplots, two of em' involving our boring, cliche female movie cop, played by Demi Moore, wich is not our main character by the way. These several subplots are messy and interfere with the movie's construction. Because if you think about it, the movie does not present one main plot, it is dived by these four different subplots. We do have a main character tho, that beeing Mr. Brooks or Earl, and maybe the exploration of his psychological is the film's main objective, and that's not even that interesting as well, Mr. Brooks is just an ill man, with a charming imaginary friend that looks like William Hurt. As said, "American Psycho" is a much fresher pick and a better exploration of character.

As far as performances go, well... Our main man, Mr. Kevin Costner was a mixed bag. He was blank, at times looked like he was just reading from the script and saying it to the camera, no passion, and no heart. His best moments are his talks with William Hurt, these scenes beeing probably the film's best as well, where the actor looks more human and even more likable, but nothing great from "Dances with Wolves" actor and director. This is one of my first viewings of Costner, I'd say that he looks like an interesting performer and I would have to check more of his work maybe beeing better applied onto another project. Next to Costner doing a much more noticeable performance is actor William Hurt, playing his character with charm, doing a great job opposite to Costner. The cast counts too with Dane Cock, yeah, Dane Cook. He is not my ideal casting choice, he is ok, I guess, he just seems misplaced and could've easily been replaced with a better young actor. Too in the middle of this is Demi Moore, playing a generic, cliche character, I'd say it is not her fault, she did her best, but her character was a mess and did a big part to further mess up the movie's already messed plot.

As said above the film is really poor executed in regards to its construction of plot and character overall. It's several subplots fell like are just there to make the movie hit the two-hour mark. Everything regarding Mr. Brooks' daughter subplot end's up leading to nowhere but a horrible scene in the movie's final moments. As to detective Tracy's subplots, they're even more out of place. The first beeing her unnecessary divorce, with her ass h*** husband, that kept getting brought up every time the movie looked like it was getting interesting. The other beeing Meeks' (Matt Schulze) storyline. Meeks is just some random guy who escapes prison and, of course, is after Tracy. That plot too... leads up to know where. And finally, the history that looked the closest to the main plot, Mr. Brooks' and Mr. Smiths' plot. Definitely the most interesting and watchable plot, the history is unfortunately dragged out for way too long, and feels too anticlimactic as Smith and Brooks mostly just sit in their car arguing. And at the end, what could've maybe been a good ending to the film, in which Smith kills Brooks, is too, ruined by an expected, unsurprising, and way out of tone ending to Smiths character, that leads to an overall bad ending to the whole film

"Mr. Brooks" is a big mess, with a messy story, boring and cliche characters, a bad script, and a lesson of what not to do with a possibly good idea. I'd say that "Mr. Brooks" is a waste of two perfectly good hours. Go and watch, or rewatch "American Psycho", it is not only a much better film but also a better everything.
½ August 12, 2016
This movie is centred on Kevin Costners' character and without him it would be nothing. Even though it had some unnecessary points, it was intriguing to watch his persona in action.
½ August 4, 2016
What a shit movie,, :p
August 2, 2016
This movie is fantastic, Costner and Hurt have some of the best back and forth ever. It truly shows the mind of a psychopath and the real battle he has with his illness.