Mr. Brooks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Brooks Reviews

October 15, 2016
"Mr. Brooks" is the 2007 thriller drama film directed by Bruce A. Evans ("Stand by Me") and it's written by Evans and Raynold Gideon. The plot follows Earl Brooks (Mr. Brooks), played by Kevin Costner, a wealthy businessman, that is revealed to be a serial murder. He hasn't been active for 2 years, and one night gets the urge to kill once again. That night he is seen by one Mr. Smith, played by Dane Cock, who takes pictures of Earl in the act. Mr. Smith offers Earl a deal, where Earl lets Mr. Smith join in the murders or else Mr. Smith would give the pictures to the police. Mr. Brooks accepts the conditions as he joins Mr. Smith in car ride as they look for a victim. While that happens, a veteran detective named Tracy, played by Demi Moore, investigates Mr. Brook's recent murder, whilst trying to settle her divorce. The cast counts also with William Hurt as Marshall, Earl' "friend" and psychological alter ego, Marg Helgenberger as Emma, Earl's teenage daughter, and Danielle Panabaker as Jane Brooks, Earl's Wife.

"Mr. Brooks" offers nothing original to its genre, becoming nothing more than a poor man's "American Psycho". What director Bruce A. Evans does is, pick a semi-fresh, though interesting idea, that could work and turn it into a predictable, poor-executed and cliche-filled movie. The film's very first scenes are OK and give us hope for an interesting film, showing us William Hurt's great first impressions and Costner's quiet performance. Tough as the movie progresses it becomes a trainwreck, with four different subplots, two of em' involving our boring, cliche female movie cop, played by Demi Moore, wich is not our main character by the way. These several subplots are messy and interfere with the movie's construction. Because if you think about it, the movie does not present one main plot, it is dived by these four different subplots. We do have a main character tho, that beeing Mr. Brooks or Earl, and maybe the exploration of his psychological is the film's main objective, and that's not even that interesting as well, Mr. Brooks is just an ill man, with a charming imaginary friend that looks like William Hurt. As said, "American Psycho" is a much fresher pick and a better exploration of character.

As far as performances go, well... Our main man, Mr. Kevin Costner was a mixed bag. He was blank, at times looked like he was just reading from the script and saying it to the camera, no passion, and no heart. His best moments are his talks with William Hurt, these scenes beeing probably the film's best as well, where the actor looks more human and even more likable, but nothing great from "Dances with Wolves" actor and director. This is one of my first viewings of Costner, I'd say that he looks like an interesting performer and I would have to check more of his work maybe beeing better applied onto another project. Next to Costner doing a much more noticeable performance is actor William Hurt, playing his character with charm, doing a great job opposite to Costner. The cast counts too with Dane Cock, yeah, Dane Cook. He is not my ideal casting choice, he is ok, I guess, he just seems misplaced and could've easily been replaced with a better young actor. Too in the middle of this is Demi Moore, playing a generic, cliche character, I'd say it is not her fault, she did her best, but her character was a mess and did a big part to further mess up the movie's already messed plot.

As said above the film is really poor executed in regards to its construction of plot and character overall. It's several subplots fell like are just there to make the movie hit the two-hour mark. Everything regarding Mr. Brooks' daughter subplot end's up leading to nowhere but a horrible scene in the movie's final moments. As to detective Tracy's subplots, they're even more out of place. The first beeing her unnecessary divorce, with her ass h*** husband, that kept getting brought up every time the movie looked like it was getting interesting. The other beeing Meeks' (Matt Schulze) storyline. Meeks is just some random guy who escapes prison and, of course, is after Tracy. That plot too... leads up to know where. And finally, the history that looked the closest to the main plot, Mr. Brooks' and Mr. Smiths' plot. Definitely the most interesting and watchable plot, the history is unfortunately dragged out for way too long, and feels too anticlimactic as Smith and Brooks mostly just sit in their car arguing. And at the end, what could've maybe been a good ending to the film, in which Smith kills Brooks, is too, ruined by an expected, unsurprising, and way out of tone ending to Smiths character, that leads to an overall bad ending to the whole film

"Mr. Brooks" is a big mess, with a messy story, boring and cliche characters, a bad script, and a lesson of what not to do with a possibly good idea. I'd say that "Mr. Brooks" is a waste of two perfectly good hours. Go and watch, or rewatch "American Psycho", it is not only a much better film but also a better everything.
½ August 12, 2016
This movie is centred on Kevin Costners' character and without him it would be nothing. Even though it had some unnecessary points, it was intriguing to watch his persona in action.
½ August 4, 2016
What a shit movie,, :p
August 2, 2016
This movie is fantastic, Costner and Hurt have some of the best back and forth ever. It truly shows the mind of a psychopath and the real battle he has with his illness.
May 25, 2016
Might be bloody, but it looks interesting.
½ May 18, 2016
surprisingly not bad, costner was great
March 15, 2016
Kevin Costner (Brooks) shows range as an actor from loving father to a split personality serial killer.
He carries the movie through while speaking to his conscious, while a few other seem to over act in many scenes.
Overall it is a fair movie to watch as a thriller.
½ March 7, 2016
Very seldom does a movie so terribly miscast, with plot this utterly ridiculous, and seemingly every reason to be horrible nearly achieve greatness. "Mr. Brooks" is that movie.
½ February 21, 2016
Wow, this is entertaining and nasty at the same time!
February 15, 2016
Kevin Costner as an uber-analytical serial killer (with William Hurt as his visible/audible subconscious, a riot) versus an angry feminist detective Demi Moore. Loved every frame of this, from the first to the last.
January 26, 2016
Unbelievably deep performances from an all-star cast! I missed it in the theaters and only watched it because there was nothing else on. I really found a hidden gem with this intricate plot line. Very reminiscent of older films that provoke deep thought while providing an entertaining facade, which makes Mr. Brooks enjoyable on many levels. I've watched it many times, and it just keeps getting better!
December 13, 2015
It was ok, pretty smart, but could been better.
November 15, 2015
I really enjoyed this movie and found myself rooting for Mr. Brooks.
½ November 8, 2015
Seen it a time and a half maybe on tv yrs after came out. Maybe wd hv bn more interesting in theater. A 2 or 4 major improbabilities. But kind of thrilling.
½ November 7, 2015
Pretty good. I think the casting of Costner is perfect. His style is bland prep-boy-all-grown-up. But here that characterization has an extra layer below it. It works.
October 6, 2015
Interesting premise and wasted script....too many subplots and one too many twist.
September 12, 2015
I liked this movie more than I thought I would. I'm not really a fan of Kevin Costner but he is wonderful as Mr. Brooks. The rest of the cast are great as well. The ending came to suddenly and I was a little disappointed but overall a pretty good movie, worth watching, especially appealing to fans of movies with serial killers etc.
August 23, 2015
Dane Cook in a killer movie. Hmm
August 1, 2015
Hurt and Costner performances are enjoyable and the idea of the movie is good but that's almost all that there is to see. Specially, Moore's story and character are quite expendable, not adding anything to the main story but noise.
July 29, 2015
one of the best performance by Kevin Costner. Story line is good but has some flaws though. Still its really good.