Mr. Brooks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Brooks Reviews

½ November 20, 2018
Mr. Brooks is played by Kevin Costner, and he is a serial killer by night, a popular, intelligent self-righteous man of the community by day. He goes by the name Earl when not in killing mode. To make matters even more complicated Mr. Brooks is a persona arisen by a devil voice within Earl- and he is played(not just voiced but physically portrayed) by William Hurt. In one of his outings Brooks is caught in the act of murder by a photographer and then becomes entangled by the law- mainly one lady played by Demi Moore. With actors of such class there is no reason to doubt that the audiences will be kept captivated- and they are. The cinematography, pacing and direction is excellent, and it is surprising that the director Bruce Evans has only made 2 films including this one. (Pretty cool thriller).
½ November 16, 2018
½ November 5, 2018
Kind of a sicko movie of the sort that I would never recommend or even sit through -- except that the performances and script are sufficiently good.
One could classify this film as a black comedy like Harold and Maude. The only bona fide comedian in the cast is Dane Cook but suprisingly, he plays his role very straight. The tongue-in-cheek performance of Costner is good, while Hurt shines as the self-deprecating and saracastic alter-ego of Brooks. Demi Moore okay but her character didn't have the layers of some of the other characters. On second viewing I found myself reacting to the dead-pan almost British humor moreso than the "shock" scenes. The conclusion comes with too many clever twists but still entertaining.
November 4, 2018
Interesting movie, but it was never explained why Mr. Brooks was so convinced his daughter was a murderer after the police interview. Perhaps something was edited out. William Hurt was the best part of this movie.
½ October 29, 2018
I'm pulling rank. I'm a bonafide psychologist who once worked maximum security. In Texas. Need I say more? This character is our worst nightmare. Intelligent. Rich. Controlled enough not to violate his own rules to avoid capture. Ruthless. What do you think those presidents and ceos do in their offices each day? Not enough appreciation for this movie. Every time I see it, I appreciate it more.
½ October 8, 2018
One of my favorite movies... and probably my favorite Kevin Costner movie.
September 29, 2018
Mr. Brooks took me by surprise. Mr. Brooks is played by Kevin Costner, and he is a serial killer by night, a popular, intelligent self-righteous man of the community by day. He goes by the name Earl when not in killing mode. To make matters even more complicated Mr. Brooks is a persona arisen by a devil voice within Earl- and he is played(not just voiced but physically portrayed) by William Hurt. In one of his outings Brooks is caught in the act of murder by a photographer and then becomes entangled by the law- mainly one lady played by Demi Moore. With actors of such class there is no reason to doubt that the audiences will be kept captivated- and they are. The cinematography, pacing and direction is excellent, and it is surprising that the director Bruce Evans has only made 2 films including this one, this one being so good. (Unexpectedly awesome Kevin Costner movie).
½ September 23, 2018
½ August 1, 2018
This is a great thriller supported by a fantastic cast and a great pace. Mr. Brooks is played by Kevin Costner, and he is a serial killer by night, a popular, intelligent self-righteous man of the community by day. He goes by the name Earl when not in killing mode. To make matters even more complicated Mr. Brooks is a persona arisen by a devil voice within Earl- and he is played(not just voiced but physically portrayed) by William Hurt. In one of his outings Brooks is caught in the act of murder by a photographer and then becomes entangled by the law- mainly one lady played by Demi Moore. With actors of such class there is no reason to doubt that the audiences will be kept captivated- and they are. The cinematography, pacing and direction is excellent, and it is surprising that the director Bruce Evans has only made 2 films including this one.
July 5, 2018
May 26, 2018
Not well known but actually brilliant.
December 23, 2017
Excellent movie, except for the shovel scene and the scissor scene, too much detail, makes it into one of those poorly made B movies.
December 8, 2017
It is a fun thriller. Great acting.
November 21, 2017
It seems to be interesting. I'm a sucker for a psychological thriller if it is done right.
November 15, 2017
Costner's finest performance. Slick from the first frame to last, this fluid, mesmerizing story features excellent performances throughout, with first rate camera work accented by very tight dialogue. Costner should stick to the darker roles going forward, it's clearly his sweet spot.
November 14, 2017
Very well acted by Costner and Cook. Pretty entertaining overall.
October 28, 2017
I love this thriller. In my Top 10 Halloween Movies...The ending still frightens me. Costner & William Hurt...are BRILLIANT. Hurt hurts my stability more. Costner is so Charming,..you realize how men get away with murder.
September 14, 2017
Kevin Costner is haunting as a man who's addicted to killing. William Hurt, Demi Moore and Reiko Aylesworth are good in supporting roles. Most unusual but very entertaining as well
August 24, 2017
Seen it more than once. Good suspense and twists.
July 7, 2017
I'm astonished by the bad reviews. I find the film impressive. The blending of subplots are well executed. Dane Cook is perfect as the blackmailing, killer wanna-be. I can watch the movie often and find nuance deserving of appreciation.