Mr. Nice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Nice Reviews

January 27, 2016
From what I gather, this film doesn't come close to achieving what a faithful adaptation should. I've not read the book but I've heard good things but I'm very familiar with

Howard Marks's story, manner and humour. He's quite a cool character in my book and I thought Rhys Ifans did him justice. I enjoyed the film although I'm a little frustrated with myself that I didn't read the book first. I did get the impression that a lot was skipped over though, years passed without mention etc but getting a film adaptation of someones life is always a struggle, for what its worth I though the film was entertaining and enjoyable with a great cast.
January 19, 2016
Good version of the story of Howard Marks britains biggest hash smuggler who spent 7 years in a high security prison in the startes for his crimes.

First the plus points.
Rhys Ifans is outstanding as Marks and its a role he was born to play he captures every nuance of the man and despite the fact he was a reall hardcore drug smuggler you cant help but like him .

David Thewlis is good fun too as a slightly demented IRA terrorist who steals every scene that he is in with his acts of pure oddnesss.

Director Bernard Rose throws in some good scenes including a memorable phone call from an Irish pub and the production of hash in its purest from.

Now the minus .

Why is Chole Sevigny playing Marks Wife!!!!!!

Her Accent is terrible and despite her performance it ruins the narrative drive of the film .
Also the film does tend to sag in places,mainly towards the end .
Its as if Rose the writer has left Rose the director with nothing left to shoot and the result is uneven to say the least with Marks time in a US prision being glossed over rather too quickly.

The film then stands and falls on its lead and luckily Ifans is more than up to the task.

A solid film then ,but one that could have been a little better with some fine tuning
½ January 12, 2016
Entertaining, but then lost it's sheen and became rather sad. Still, pretty good for Welsh content.
June 3, 2015
An entertaining movie with a fairly good story. Good performances and direction. The humour works quite well too
½ January 16, 2015
Drugs. A lot of them. Everywhere. All the time. 1.5 stars is no fault to Rhys Ifans but it just wore me out, all that dope.
½ November 8, 2014
I liked this more than the reviews led me to believe that I would. I suppose part of it is that I was a dope smoking hippy in 1968 too. Rhys Ifans carries it - he seemed ideal for the part. The style is very Britcom, but being a true story it doesn't really have the usual mythical narrative arc. Quite fun, if not earth shattering.
October 27, 2014
Most wanted. Most wasted.
Quand Howard marks quitte son petit village natal pour aller étudier à l'université d'Oxford, il y découvre les plaisirs de la marijuana. Il deviendra passeur pour rendre service. Tout cela va l'amener à développer un trafic entre Londres et le Pakistan, et à devenir le plus grand dealer d'Europe. Comme il reste non violent et toujours classe, il se fera surnommer Mr Nice.
Voici une petite leçon d'histoire sur le trafic de drogue douce dans les années 60-70. Ce Mr Nice a réellement existé (et existe toujours d'ailleurs), et le film s'inspire partiellement de son autobiographie, le livre étant trop dense pour tout relater à l'écran. Rhys Ifans et Chloe Sevigny incarne le couple Marks dans leur vie ballotée entre déplacements pour arranger le réseau et occupations avec leurs enfants adorés. Le film ne prend pas le parti de juger le personnage, mais décrit son histoire et laisse suggérer qu'un tel trafic ne pourrait avoir lieu avec une telle ampleur sans les lois anti-marijuana mises en place sans réelle analyse et réflexion de la part des gouvernements. Intéressant, mais les 2 heures peuvent sembler longues à certains moments.
½ October 12, 2014
Very interesting. Good film
½ August 18, 2014
Drugs are boring but funny and/or exciting movies can be made about people trying to find, hide, or get rid of drugs. With the amazing talents of Rhys Ifans, David Thewlis, Crispin Glover, and Chloe Sevigny this must be one of those funny and/or exciting movies.

It isn't.
May 31, 2014
Recommended drug movie
½ May 11, 2014
Like a British version of the movie Blow only with out P Cruz and with a much better outcome for the protagonist than for Depp's character in Blow.
½ March 10, 2014
Interesting movie and easy to watch when you know its based on a true story.
February 28, 2014
Ok , but don't buy it
December 15, 2013
wow ummmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a great movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.......i think that rhys ifans, chloe sevigny (from the brilliant tv series hit n miss/the brilliant tv series Louie), david thewlis (from the brilliant movie red 2), crispin glover, omid djalili (from the brilliant tv series have i got news for you), play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch for 2010........i think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......its got good car chases throughout this movie.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that rhys ifans was brilliant throughout this movie as the lead role.........i think that the fight scenes throughout this movie were really good throughout this movie.......i think that the gun shoot outs were pretty good throughout this movie......i think that chloe sevigny was brilliant throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch as its a real life story movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie........i think that omid djalili was brilliant throughout this movie.........i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really sad movie as well as its sad in some scenes throughout this movie.......i think that david thewlis was brilliant throughout this movie as jim throughout this movie.......i think that Elsa Pataky was great throughout this movie........i think that this is so really well directed movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is a brilliant movie 2 watch for 2010........i think that the special effects throughout this movie were really good throughout this movie,.....i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch as you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch theres some good humor scenes throughout this movie......i think that this is a really well directed movie 2 watch its got some good fight scenes throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really well directed movie 2 watch its got a good cast thorughout this movie.....i think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch for 2010 to watch its such a brilliant movie 2 watch its a real=life story movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its so good movie 2 watch as its a really sad movie 2 watch as in some scenes throughout this movie its really sad but its a brilliant movie 2 watch
August 9, 2013
Interesting true story. Very funny at times, especially any scenes involving David Thewlis. Not great though - pacing is off, and writer-director Bernard Rose clearly wasn't sure whether he was making a comedy or drama. As mentioned, it has some funny moments, but then it has some very dark moments too. The comedy makes the drama seem frivolous.

Great performance by Rhys Ifans in the lead role. David Thewlis steals the show, however, with his over-the-top performance. Not sure why it was felt necessary to cast Chloe Sevigny in the role of Howard Marks' wife, especially as the character is English. Crispin Glover is also a bit of a waste in his role.
½ August 2, 2013
Wow. This was just bad. What a waste of a great cast.
July 18, 2013
fails to live up to the book in almost every way. disappointing.
½ June 28, 2013
Great movie and also very long!
½ June 22, 2013
Rhys Ifans is excellent as sometime spy, big time drug smuggler & father Howard Marks. The performance is great & adds to a snappily directed & funny script with the shots of being in 70's London just superb. It doesn't quite pull off its argument on the futility on the war against drugs but is good fun nonetheless
blkbomb
June 21, 2013
Howard Marks: A dealer is really just someone who buys more dope than he can smoke. And I have to say, I'm ashamed, I tried to smoke it all. There was just too fuckin' much of it.

"Most Wanted. Most Wasted."

Mr. Nice is a movie I thoroughly enjoyed, and more than anything, it really made me want to read Howard Marks' book. There's a few annoyances throughout and from what I've read, it isn't nearly as good as the book. On a subjective level though, I really loved it. This is material that is worth showing. It's fun to watch, it's insightful(probably not as much as the book I would imagine), but more than anything I loved Rhys Ifans and Chloe Savigny.

Mr. Nice is the life story of Howard Marks. Marks learned about marijuana from a guy while attending and graduating from Oxford. After graduating, he takes a teaching position that isn't getting him much money. So when that guy who introduced him to the magical plant gets busted, he turns the business over to Marks. Marks takes over and the business flourishes. The title, Mr. Nice, is based on one of Marks' aliases and I would be led to believe it is why there's a popular and powerful strain of marijuana called just that, Mr. Nice.

A lot of the criticism for the film seems to be from those who have read the book and I can't really deny that the film is a bad adaption because I haven't read the book. I will now, but as of seeing the movie, I haven't. So luckily I watched this before because based on those opinions, I wouldn't have cared for it nearly as much.

If you're at all interested in drug smuggling or maybe just the man himself, give this film a look. I loved the style, loved the dialogue, loved the cast, and loved the source material. Howard Marks was an extraordinary man and his life makes for an extraordinary story.