Mr. Turner Reviews

• Sep 19, 2020

I thought the life and times of Turner was interesting. However, I didn't think there was much that was inspiring or emotive about his story. It was an alright film but one that I would not be tempted to watch again.

• Jul 01, 2020

I love Turner's paintings, and am always game for a good historical film, but found this one to be almost stupefyingly boring, an exercise in tedium that generally depicts his rather troubling relationships with women as the excusable foibles of "genius."

• Jun 15, 2020

Huge Turner fan but this was disappointing. No flow, depressing and totally unnecessary sexual scenes. A poor tribute to our greatest artist.

• Dec 27, 2019

I generally agree with the critics, but this movies was extremely boring

I generally agree with the critics, but this movies was extremely boring

• Dec 21, 2019

This is a story without much of a beginning or a middle, but I suppose it has an end. Which is a way of saying that nothing much happens. And Timothy Spall's performance largely consists of (brilliant) pulled faces and grunts. All of which suggests that this isn't much of a film and yet - like Turner's pictures - it's quite beguiling. A little over-rated by the critics, though

• Jul 25, 2019

A very underwhelming and boring biopic.

A very underwhelming and boring biopic.

• Jun 24, 2019

Spall's fumbles and denials are highly appealing, he may move slow, but with a film so still, he has the right amount of pace. Mr. Turner Leigh is annoyingly a good documentary maker just as he is a filmmaker. His film has the authenticity of the old school cinema style where it takes you on a long productive journey without feeling the need to entertain you with various flim-flam. But the writer-director, Mike Leigh doesn't have the crowd gathering catchy topic to entertain you. Hence, the dislikeness in public opinion is understood- not that much, of course. A film about a painter, of course is visually as picturesque as some profound painting. Mostly, the scenes either starts or ends on a still frame that signifies the theme of the painting with exotic live locations and visuals that almost comes off animated. There is a scenario installed just to portray the rebellious nature of our lead. Now, not only does that scene begs the existence in the narration but also "how" did Leigh get the courage to pull it off on screen. While this debacle amongst the most prestigious bohemians is entertaining to the last nail, it certainly is highly risky. Not only in its entirety, it asks for time to grow old but also the confidence of sticking by the penalty it brings the film with. Also, notice how a dose of exhilaration even as party-stopper as such wears off within that scene. Leigh does it, by disenchanting the viewers from that scene by making them realize that they are experiencing it all on screen. He has kept a third party in the narration throughout the film. One of the characters is foliated every now and then as an audience. Mostly it is Timothy Spall as Mr. Turner. Since his profession or passion asks him to observe the nature of his surroundings. He often dissolves into the picture that he sees than the context it or someone speaks of.

• Jun 04, 2019

A really wonderful biopic on Joseph Mallord William Turner.

A really wonderful biopic on Joseph Mallord William Turner.

• May 31, 2019

interesting story of this master painter, but, not very exciting

interesting story of this master painter, but, not very exciting

• May 26, 2019

Worst movie I have ever watched. So boring, does not live up to the hype that critics say, you will fall asleep while watching this. There is literally no character development.