Mr. Turner Reviews

• Jul 25, 2019

A very underwhelming and boring biopic.

A very underwhelming and boring biopic.

• Jun 24, 2019

Spall's fumbles and denials are highly appealing, he may move slow, but with a film so still, he has the right amount of pace. Mr. Turner Leigh is annoyingly a good documentary maker just as he is a filmmaker. His film has the authenticity of the old school cinema style where it takes you on a long productive journey without feeling the need to entertain you with various flim-flam. But the writer-director, Mike Leigh doesn't have the crowd gathering catchy topic to entertain you. Hence, the dislikeness in public opinion is understood- not that much, of course. A film about a painter, of course is visually as picturesque as some profound painting. Mostly, the scenes either starts or ends on a still frame that signifies the theme of the painting with exotic live locations and visuals that almost comes off animated. There is a scenario installed just to portray the rebellious nature of our lead. Now, not only does that scene begs the existence in the narration but also "how" did Leigh get the courage to pull it off on screen. While this debacle amongst the most prestigious bohemians is entertaining to the last nail, it certainly is highly risky. Not only in its entirety, it asks for time to grow old but also the confidence of sticking by the penalty it brings the film with. Also, notice how a dose of exhilaration even as party-stopper as such wears off within that scene. Leigh does it, by disenchanting the viewers from that scene by making them realize that they are experiencing it all on screen. He has kept a third party in the narration throughout the film. One of the characters is foliated every now and then as an audience. Mostly it is Timothy Spall as Mr. Turner. Since his profession or passion asks him to observe the nature of his surroundings. He often dissolves into the picture that he sees than the context it or someone speaks of.

• Jun 04, 2019

A really wonderful biopic on Joseph Mallord William Turner.

A really wonderful biopic on Joseph Mallord William Turner.

• May 31, 2019

interesting story of this master painter, but, not very exciting

interesting story of this master painter, but, not very exciting

• May 26, 2019

Worst movie I have ever watched. So boring, does not live up to the hype that critics say, you will fall asleep while watching this. There is literally no character development.

• Aug 18, 2018

It's very nicely worked out, a tad lengthy but I didn't mind that.

It's very nicely worked out, a tad lengthy but I didn't mind that.

• Aug 02, 2018

An exploration of the last quarter century of the great, if eccentric, British painter J.M.W. Turner's life.I wanted to see this film since I saw the trailer sometime back in 2014 and then I finally got to it yesterday. This is one of these films that are rreeeeeaaaly good but you only need to watch them once. Enjoy ... I did

• Mar 29, 2018

This film goes distance in revealing the master painter Turner, England's best. Nice to discover how the fellow was. Scruff but witty and not francophobe like the common english. Refreshing film!

• Aug 01, 2017

Reviewed 8.1.17. Sure, it looks beautiful, but it is an absolute bore. It captures a moment in time in great detail, then pretentiously assumes that's all that's needed. Like an attractive date with nothing to say. I also viewed a 'making of' and was indeed impressed by how much effort was put into every physical detail. I only wish some of that time was used to write a script that had something to say. Instead we get 2 1/2 hours of a self-obsessed slovenly curmudgeon wandering from dull to monotonous conversations. At the very least, I would have appreciated learning something about painting, but instead suffered through long exchanges about gooseberries, and other such Georgian/Victorian foibles. All that effort, and yet a painting of his contains more interest than the totality of this film. One star for the radiant cinematography.

• Jul 26, 2017

Beautifully shot and acted by Timothy Spall but slightly lacks something to take into the next league.