Mutual Appreciation Reviews

• Apr 19, 2014

I love mumblecore but couldn't get into Andrew Bujalski's sophomore film. Will watch it again eventually to see if I missed anything.

• Apr 13, 2013

Not as fresh as "Funny Ha Ha", and a bit too long, but still masterfully executed and profound piece of reality.

• Sep 24, 2012

Argh! I thought I rated this here, but I guess I forgot. It's been awhile so I don't know that I can say anything specific about it except that I liked it a lot. The characters were likeable, even with their flaws, and the mumblecore "formula" really works here in a more traditional narrative sense. Bujualski is smoother than in Funny Ha Ha and his storytelling is more refined.

• Aug 26, 2012

With his first three films, Bujalski has shown a mastery of film form and the ability to reveal the humanity of mostly aimless young adults in the current generation. Bujalski trusts the writing (which is anything but heavy on exposition), as well as the camera and the movements of those on camera to draw out the unique personalities of these characters. MA's lack of a classical narrative arc doesn't keep it from being a revealing and incisive portrait on a most misunderstood group of people.

• Aug 20, 2012

A lo-fi slacker dramedy that is entertaining, but doesn't have much to say.

A lo-fi slacker dramedy that is entertaining, but doesn't have much to say.

• May 25, 2012

one of the things that makes "mutual appreciation" such a gem of modern indie cinema is the way the characters interact with each other. it feels so believable, almost like these aren't actors, but rather a documentary. there are many subtle jokes that characters will make that go unnoticed to the other characters, making it feel all the more realistic. after watching this, i have become very interested in seeing moire of director andrew bujalski's work.

• Jul 28, 2011

Alan is a struggling artist living in Brooklyn who is trying to get somewhere with his band, the Bumblebees. The film chronicles his life from his relationships to his attempt at getting a record deal, etc. Its one of those indie films where a bunch of characters are rather narcissitic and they sit around and talk a lot. I liked Bujalski's first feature 'FUNNY HA HA' quite a bit but this film felt borderline masturbatory in its endless sophisticated dialogue and characters who seem to be going nowhere. There is some merit in the dissection of a character like Alan whose own awkwardness and social anxieties hold him back from having a better life. It is a good honest script with quite a few scenes that have some funny interesting dialogue with a sharp realism but I never was emotionally connected to any of these characters leaving me void of any real emotional response to the film.

• Jul 18, 2011

I didn't appreciate it. The youths and their issues of discussion are way too ordinary despite the unordinary style of filming.

• Jul 03, 2011

No me terminò de cerrar, o sea, las actuaciones son tan naturales (lo que me hace rescatar algo) q me hicieron pensar en mas de una pers que conozco, salidas del diàlogo mas casual... Aùn asi, no, no entendi que es lo que quiso contar. Me aburri.

• Feb 12, 2011

i thought it was a private movie. the actors n actresses don't look professional. i was bored n no fun.