My Blueberry Nights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Blueberry Nights Reviews

June 28, 2016
Interestingly off-beat romance that is one woman's journey to letting go an old love and opening up to a new one, while meeting others grappling with love unsuccessfully along the way. Wonderful music as well. A very enjoyable film with wonderful, unusual angle cinematography.
½ April 17, 2016
Special message for those who want to make movies when they grow up. Have you ever wondered what happens when a solid cast (except for the leading actress) participates in a plot that goes nowhere? Watch "My blueberry nights" and you will get the answer.
July 11, 2015
better than expectations
½ April 6, 2015
Excelente trabajo de fotografía, buenas actuaciones, una idea interesante, pero al final una película algo desarticulada y sin mucha fuerza.
½ March 25, 2015
Similarity found in this movie and the other Chinese movies directed by the same director : BORING. I would give it 0 star if the app allows. Cinematography is good however.
December 1, 2014
2 stars, poorly written and shallow yet holds Wong kar-wai signature for the colors and style, the spirit for writing and shooting in an american context.
November 22, 2014
Good story-telling, great performance, excellent music and photography make this movie wonderful.
October 6, 2014
A lightly flaked offering mildly entertaining crust of a movie.
½ August 23, 2014
It's leavened, golden-crusted 'Wong Kar-Wai' flavored pie - savory, indeed... All about unfinished businesses--like a slow song in a shady café... Broken Hearts and a Stolen Kiss!!
½ July 31, 2014
This beautiful semi-arts film may not posess the greatest of plots, but it contains character development that is strong, coherent and succinct. If one is to watch Rachel Weisz and Natalie Portman really display themselves as capable actors (before Black Swan for Portamn and The Bourne Legacy for Weisz) then this is a great movie. Like the soft taste of the blueberry pie it is, at the surface, based on, the well thought out music and portrayal of the ordinary american in an extraordinary love story will stay with the viewer well after the screenplay ends.

Jude Law in this movie is, well, Jude Law. He is the same charismatic, slightly scruffy (but in the sexy unkempt way) englishman he plays so well in most movies. So no surprises or disppointments there. He plays his role as a small cafe owener in Brooklyn (presumably) nobly. it is however, Rachel Weisz that will shock you. The 'english rose' really took it to the next level. She plays a texan woman who is separated from her alcoholic cop-husband. The cougar belle of the town, she portrays some of her best (or her very best to date) acting whence her husband dies. It is predictable drama, old rugged lines the unhappy wife says when her husband dies and the usual 'telling the stranger the story of their marriage/relationship while looking in the distance' but it is done splendidly. Weisz stays true to her character and the slight melodrama it needs but also saves it from becoming another shallow unhappy housewife. Portamn, additionally, does not disappoint as the cocky and wise gambler. While the characters are very cliche, their portrayal is somehow the opposite. Definitely would not have thought Portman to do the role: it fits someone more along the lines of Scarlett Johansson or Nicole Kidman but Portman does it equally well.

It is Chinese director Wong Kar Wai's first feature film in English and he brings with him all that is needed as a newcomer: the ambition to make the film different, to stick to a predictable genre like romance and the big screen names that make viewers want to watch an uncertain debut. For someone who is known in Hong Kong for martial arts films, My Blueberry Nights is fantastic to try something new. His next film, if he does make another English one, will be much awaited and even better than this one. That I am willing to gamble on. How many movies from Hollywood do you remember for their music or even remember it? This film brings that unique element we had all forgotten about. The music is mesmerising and well thought of. That is what is ultimately so fresh about it. It does not leave behind anything or forget something. It is thorough and Wong respects the film industry in a very commendable way by doing that. Watch it with your mother, your good friend or your sister. But watch it with someone who is in the mood for a film.
July 14, 2014
This is my second time watching this. I really want to like it more than I do.
The lighting and scenes are pretty, it really is beautifully shot.
What lets it down is the script and the story. It is just not enough. And Jude Law is absolutely horrible in this. People blame Norah Jones as being the weak link who can't carry the film, but really she's fine. Understated, but I think the character is meant to be. Jude, on the other hand, is hammy and can't look at him without thinking he's sleazy and wouldn't actually want to see him get together with Norah's character (this of course could be due to his well known personal issues), but he does actually look grotty here.
The supporting characters have more to work with and actually did care about their stories.
It's a shame as the potential and cast (Jude aside) actually was there in this one, but it just doesn't quite work as a whole.
½ July 6, 2014
Promete bastante desde el inicio con excelentes interpretaciones, sin embargo, en vez de cambiar a la siguiente página, el desarrollo parece un arranque de páginas para dejar una retorcida y fuera de ritmo continuación.
January 10, 2014
throw them to the lions
December 20, 2013
Norah Jones es pésima actriz, la cosa más cheesy del mundo.
November 12, 2013
Catchy and filled with great performances. If you don't like blueberry pies, I'll bet you'll give them another try after watching this film.
½ November 7, 2013
Ever since this film I had a crush on Norah. I probably should not have admitted it.
½ October 21, 2013
Wong Kar-Wai's first English language film has undeniable charm in its poignancy and poetic, if not cheesy romanticism conveyed through beautiful voice-over dialogue.
½ October 16, 2013
... very subtle movie about feelings and emotions.
September 15, 2013
Clichéd intro, insipid chronological order of story events and what's up with the overused slow motion!? Jude, as mentor or guru, has gotten his lines strait to his own charm, while other actors went by the book. A survival is Natalie along her baby-face in that mature women character, still she need to work harder on the accent though she did on the nasals sounds and her body postures. All in all, the film is all about that "pull."
½ September 14, 2013