Nacho Libre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nacho Libre Reviews

½ December 7, 2016
Jack Black's wild performance and Jared Hess' Wes Anderson-esque knack for live-action wackiness are enough to make this otherwise pathetic romp a load of fun anyway.
½ November 21, 2016
THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE ON THIS PLANET!!!!!!!! SO BAD:-(
½ October 11, 2016
If you love Napoleon Dynamite, you'll love this movie. It's the exact sort of awkward, dead pan humor, but it has Jack Black. I don't really get why this one is panned as hard as it is, although there are a few jokes that don't work, I'll admit. I still love watching this with friends, so I recommend it.
½ September 24, 2016
The movie actually aims for children. I just do not know if they do that very bad Mexican English accents on purpose though. There are some bad bits, yes, but it is occasionally funny.
½ September 19, 2016
The beautiful background shots are super vibrant!
½ September 19, 2016
Have you ever been in a situation where you are the only one that hasn't seen a particular movie, but then your manhood (or womanhood) becomes questioned because you hadn't seen one such movie? Well, I rean into that situation with Nacho Libre. The group I was with (which shall remain annonymus) told me that Nacho Libre is their family's favourite movie. I saw it that day at a Flea Market for one dollar, picked it up and gave it a shot. I have never had a movie so hyped up for it to fall flat on it's face. Harder than Jack Black getting pile-drived to the floor. This movie is so bizarre, stupid and racist. Okay sure, some racial/stereotypical humour is funny... but not for one hour and forty minutes straight. Yes I get it, Jack Black has this stupid Mexican accent. Don't forget all his Mexican friends who all appear to be stupid, unintelligent, dirty and disgusting. Some scenes were so absurd that they actually did get a laugh out of me, but the rest were too stupid to even comprehend. As I am writing this, I realize that there is a very good chance the people who recommended this movie to me will see this review and banish me from ever re-visting their household. Just imagine this movie taking the very quiet, awkward silence humour of Napolean Dynamite, take out all the witty satircal jokes and replace them with some very medicore slapstick wresting scenes and racially insensitive Mexican jokes. Like I said, I will laugh at a "Mexican jumping the fence" joke as much as I will laugh at a "Canadian bacon with maple syrup up and aboot the igloo eh?" joke, but you have to admit, they get old really fast.
½ September 17, 2016
Jack Black is the only reason why Nacho Libre is not completely knocked out.
August 19, 2016
Nachoooooo. "I used some grass to wipe my tears". Nacho Libre gets better with each viewing. A cult classic that has to be ruminated and seeped into your subconscious in order that quoting it becomes second nature.
½ August 18, 2016
"Nacho Libre" is rather meagre in terms of writing but is boosted considerably by Jack Black's charisma.
August 14, 2016
This is the epitome of a cinematic masterpiece! One of the best films of all times!!
July 24, 2016
Watched it a thousand times and still love it. Best quotable movie.
June 30, 2016
Following the success of Sundance darling and cult classic Napoleon Dynamite, director Jared Hess moves on to a slightly bigger film in the form of Nacho Libre, and while it can't really match the same sort of quirky charm that made Napoleon Dynamite so oddly endearing, it's a pretty funny little film. There's plenty of the deadpan humor that feels reminiscent of Hess' past work, but many jokes this time around come from the always goofy and over-the-top Jack Black, who takes the lead as Ignacio/Nacho. There's moments where Black feels like he's overdoing it, and his more outrageous sense of comedy clashes with the very stoic sense of humor of the actors around him, but for the most part, his jokes land consistently. If anything, you can tell he's having a blast onscreen, and he truly embraces the absurdity of his role; this is a white man playing a Mexican cook, after all. His chemistry with Hector Jimenez, who plays Nacho's wrestling partner, is delightful, and the two share lots of hilarious back-and-forth moments throughout the film. The film itself is quite predictable, but it's not a film that's trying to reinvigorate its genre: it's a comedy that knows exactly what it wants to be, and it does it quite well.

Black's sense of comedy takes some getting used to in comparison to the rest of the film, but once the jokes start landing, they really start landing. Fans of Jack Black and Jared Hess' sense of comedy will certainly have a good time with Nacho Libre.
June 25, 2016
Pretty funny, not his best work, but it'll do for a good Jack Black fan
May 26, 2016
It is incredibly hard to do a family comedy right and Jared Hess may be the master of it. Setting, writing and music are outstanding, but the charm within the movie lies on Jack Black nailing his character who is also supported by a diverse pool of interesting figures that don't make this feel like a one man show.
½ April 27, 2016
Nacho Libre is charming at times, but at other times it irritatingly tries too hard. A documentary about Fray Tormenta, the real Mexican priest who supported an orphanage through lucha libre wrestling, would have been more engaging than this sad attempt to recreate Napoleon Dynamite in the world of Mexican professional wrestling.
½ March 29, 2016
Una obra mediocre, tiene sus pequeños momentos divertidos para la familia, pero eso es todo.
March 23, 2016
Wonderful, heartfelt, and hilarious.
½ March 14, 2016
I actually had a good time with this film. It's very dumb but Jack Black fans will have a blast. I think it is very funny for sure.
February 27, 2016
It is a funny movie and entertaining if you like rustling you won't like this movie I think. And Jack black is funny
½ February 14, 2016
Raggiunge a stento la sufficienza. Non posso negare che ci siano molte trovate divertenti, ma certamente non si può dire che sia il film meglio riuscito di Jack Black.
L'ambientazione in Messico mi è piaciuta come trovata.