The Natural - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Natural Reviews

November 12, 2017
The Natural deals with some tough subjects like death, but at the heart of this great film are Roy Hobbs' love of two things Baseball, and his childhood sweetheart Iris Gaines. Roy only plays one season with The New York Knights but wins them the 1939 pennant ever after being sidelined due to a gunshot wound (to the stomach) that could kill him at any moment if he continues to play baseball.
September 21, 2017
Morose and dispassionate. A lot to struggle through just to get to the final scene. Everyone spoke with the same melancholy squeeze-some-woefulness-out-of-this-line. Even the fans walked into the stadium like they were attending a funeral. Clearly, this is baseball from the perspective of someone who never played a game.
August 20, 2017
Wonderful bit of Americana told through that most American of sports, baseball. Director Barry Levinson fashions a mythic tale about an over-the-hill 1920s baseball player, Roy Hobbs, finally getting his shot at the big leagues with the fictional New York Knights. Robert Redford plays Hobbs, himself in many ways a stereotypical All-American boy. Hobbs seemingly comes out of nowhere and no one knows where this talented player came from or why it took him so long to appear in the majors. Hobbs quickly gains fame an attention, and while on his journey faces many challenges; tempted by seductresses, facing down dark corrupting forces, and the lure of money and fame. As with most American myths and tropes, they have their roots in other cultures. The mythology presented in "The Natural" seems heavily influenced by Greek Mythology, with Hobbs as a Homer-like hero on a journey to find home. Kim Basinger and Barbara Hershey plays a sirens. Darren McGavin and Robert Duvall plays dark, corrupting underworld god-like figures manipulating events. Glenn Close represents the home that Hobbs is seeking. Other actors of note in the film include Wilford Brimley as the team manager and Richard Farnsworth as an assistant coach. There's also strong supporting performances from Robert Prosky, Michael Madsen, Mike Starr, and Joe Don Baker in a small role that's a thinly veiled analogue for Babe Ruth. Randy Newman also deserve note for his beautiful score, as does director of photography Caleb Deschane. When a baseball smashes the ballpark lights in an explosion of sparks and rousing music are unforgettable and gorgeous. Barry Levinson has made some brilliant, including "Diner," "Avalon," and TV series like "OZ" and "Homicide: Life on the Street," but I think this film may be my favorite of all of his fine work.
½ August 1, 2017
Movie about a baseball player who misses out on the prime years of his career after a woman shoots him. Levinson creates this whole mythic and grandiouse atmosphere throughout it. I'd have preferred he replace Redford and Close at the beginning with younger actors, but that's a small flaw. Very good movie.
½ July 10, 2017
too much non-baseball related drama, not enough baseball
December 3, 2016
I wanted to like this. Just didn't really.
August 21, 2016
Nothing was going to stop Roy Hobbs from fulfilling his boyhood dream of baseball superstardom. 14-year-old Hobbs fashions a powerful bat from a fallen oak tree. He soon impresses major league scouts with his ability, fixing his extraordinary talent in the mind of sportswriter Max Mercy, who eventually becomes instrumental in Hobb's career. But a meeting with a mysterious woman shatters his dream. Years pass and an older Hobbs reappears as a rookie from The New York Knights. Overcoming physical pain and defying those who have a stake in seeing the Knights lose, Hobbs, with his boyhood bat, has his chance to lead the Knights to the pennant and to finally fulfill his dream.
½ August 21, 2016
Messy third quarter, but earnest and agreeable. Nicely shot.
July 12, 2016
I could watch this over and over and never lose interest, schmaltz and all. Redford is perfect for the part. And of course one of the most iconic movie scenes of all time.
June 16, 2016
The baseball film. It captures the myth and dreams of the game.
June 8, 2016
The Natural(1984)
people will always remember wilford brimley as the big guy on diabetes infomercials but this would better suite him. He plays a coach (pop fisher) that receives a gift from God as his team is blessed from a man whom awakes from a comma. The legend known as the natural literally knocks the cover off the ball with a magical bat made from a tree struck down by lighting from the former ace turned sluggers childhood.
½ May 26, 2016
Great acting, beautiful tone throughout.
½ May 14, 2016
Expected more, hearing how good it was thought would have been better. Good acting, but overrated in my book.
April 21, 2016
The Natural is a sweet and entertaining take on America's national pastime, with strong performances from its leads and an interesting fantasy side.
½ March 25, 2016
A beautifully crafted, arty film about time; light and dark; and baseball. Any movie with Glenn Close and Kim Basinger on the screen is worth watching. Robert Redford, Robert Duvall, Wilford Bromley and Darien McCain round out a compelling cast. I've seen it six times.
February 20, 2016
Its a good story and classic filmmaking. Not really a movie I'd watch over again but its pretty solid and I enjoyed the mythical sense of mystery the movie builds.
November 9, 2015
"The Natural" has the one of best combinations of fantasy, drama, and simplicity that can be offered by a baseball movie and it remains one of my all-time favorite films.
October 21, 2015
No actor can command a film like Robert Redford, if you don't believe me watch Brubaker, Three Days of The Condor or this. Makes you wish real baseball was worth watching. The greatest baseball movie ever alongside Field of Dreams.
October 19, 2015
This is the best baseball film ever. I watched again tonight and it hasn't lost anything over the years.
September 14, 2015
I think I would have liked it a lot more if it followed the book a bit more. This movie came out way before my time. As a baseball fan I thought it was awesome . Really good acting, the pace was a little off for my taste. Still, overall very enjoyable film.