The Natural - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Natural Reviews

August 21, 2016
Nothing was going to stop Roy Hobbs from fulfilling his boyhood dream of baseball superstardom. 14-year-old Hobbs fashions a powerful bat from a fallen oak tree. He soon impresses major league scouts with his ability, fixing his extraordinary talent in the mind of sportswriter Max Mercy, who eventually becomes instrumental in Hobb's career. But a meeting with a mysterious woman shatters his dream. Years pass and an older Hobbs reappears as a rookie from The New York Knights. Overcoming physical pain and defying those who have a stake in seeing the Knights lose, Hobbs, with his boyhood bat, has his chance to lead the Knights to the pennant and to finally fulfill his dream.
½ August 21, 2016
Messy third quarter, but earnest and agreeable. Nicely shot.
July 12, 2016
I could watch this over and over and never lose interest, schmaltz and all. Redford is perfect for the part. And of course one of the most iconic movie scenes of all time.
June 16, 2016
The baseball film. It captures the myth and dreams of the game.
June 8, 2016
The Natural(1984)
people will always remember wilford brimley as the big guy on diabetes infomercials but this would better suite him. He plays a coach (pop fisher) that receives a gift from God as his team is blessed from a man whom awakes from a comma. The legend known as the natural literally knocks the cover off the ball with a magical bat made from a tree struck down by lighting from the former ace turned sluggers childhood.
½ May 26, 2016
Great acting, beautiful tone throughout.
½ May 14, 2016
Expected more, hearing how good it was thought would have been better. Good acting, but overrated in my book.
April 21, 2016
The Natural is a sweet and entertaining take on America's national pastime, with strong performances from its leads and an interesting fantasy side.
½ March 25, 2016
A beautifully crafted, arty film about time; light and dark; and baseball. Any movie with Glenn Close and Kim Basinger on the screen is worth watching. Robert Redford, Robert Duvall, Wilford Bromley and Darien McCain round out a compelling cast. I've seen it six times.
February 20, 2016
Its a good story and classic filmmaking. Not really a movie I'd watch over again but its pretty solid and I enjoyed the mythical sense of mystery the movie builds.
November 9, 2015
"The Natural" has the one of best combinations of fantasy, drama, and simplicity that can be offered by a baseball movie and it remains one of my all-time favorite films.
October 21, 2015
No actor can command a film like Robert Redford, if you don't believe me watch Brubaker, Three Days of The Condor or this. Makes you wish real baseball was worth watching. The greatest baseball movie ever alongside Field of Dreams.
October 19, 2015
This is the best baseball film ever. I watched again tonight and it hasn't lost anything over the years.
September 14, 2015
I think I would have liked it a lot more if it followed the book a bit more. This movie came out way before my time. As a baseball fan I thought it was awesome . Really good acting, the pace was a little off for my taste. Still, overall very enjoyable film.
August 19, 2015
Easily one of the best sports films of all time.
½ August 10, 2015
Great performance by Redford
July 23, 2015
Okay story, boring and fairly cheesy execution, like a cheap Disney-like movie.
April 13, 2015
A mystical baseball fable that really swings for the of my top five all time baseball movies.
April 4, 2015
Directed By: Barry Levinson;
Starring Robert Redford, Robert Duvall, Kim Basinger, Glenn Close, Michael Madsen ...

Great Movie!