Nebraska - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nebraska Reviews

½ November 7, 2017
Journey with Bruce Dern on His Road Odyssey to "Nebraska." Multiple Oscar-nominated black-and-white film blends comedy and drama with a man trying to find out who he really is as a human being.

Director Alexander Payne (Sideways and The Descendants) is known for his dramedies and in Nebraska he pursues this genre even further. Payne chooses veteran Bruce Dern to take on the lead role for the film. He plays Woody Grant, a father who is convinced he has won a million-dollar magazine sweepstakes in Omaha, Neb. The only problem is that Woody lives in Montana and is not allowed to drive. At the beginning of the film he tries walking to Nebraska, but his family members repeatedly come to rescue him. Dern, 77, is a knockout in the lead chair for this film; he plays the character with such instability and heartbreak. Dern received his second Oscar nomination because of his grand performance in this film.

Even though Woody's past is blurred with drinking and hard times, his wife, Kate (June Squibb), calls him a damn fool for chasing this fantasy. Squibb is hilarious every time she is on screen. She does not put up with people's garbage and always throws in her 2 cents. Squibb was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress - in a Supporting Role. His youngest son, David (Will Forte), knows the sweepstake is a scam and tries to tell his dad that, but Woody will not have it. David shows compassion for his dad and decides to drive him to Nebraska. This is where our adventure begins with a father and son road trip to Nebraska. Their relationship starts out slim but deepens by the end of the film. This trip gives David an opportunity to get closer with his father by asking him questions about his childhood, seeing his old house where he grew up and even having a beer with his old man.

Payne executes this brilliantly and sends a heartwarming and poetic message to viewers about family. One unique aspect to Nebraska was that it is shot completely in black and white. In my opinion, if this movie were in color, the film's value as a whole would have been lost. Another noteworthy performance is by a comedic Bob Odenkirk, who plays the oldest son, Ross. Payne has already shown his greatness with a list of remarkable films (Election, About Schmidt, Sideway and The Descendants) and now has added another great film to his canon. Throughout this film we journey with Woody all the way to Omaha seeing his highs and lows as a parent.

Even though Woody has had a difficult past with his drinking, here we see a more optimistic Woody who is determined to get his million dollars in Nebraska and make a better name for himself, and more importantly, his family. Nebraska was nominated for six Oscars, but sadly the film did not win even one. That should not discourage the viewer, though, as Nebraska is still an excellent film. Through all of this black-and-white film, Nebraska still shines brightly with its poetic and heartwarming message.
November 3, 2017
Best line I thought "Your dad have alzheimer's? No he just believes stuff people tell him. Oh that's too bad"
½ September 22, 2017
An old man, an alcoholic most of his life, has just found a lottery ticket in his mail. He has won a million dollars! He must travel to Nebraska to get it, a couple of states away from his house. He can't drive anymore so he decides to walk. Luckily his son picks him up and they are on to a trip, visiting his childhood city along the way. A town filled with family, old friends and enemies.

Poignant, character-driven film with gorgeous cinematography. Very touching movie with some funny scenes too - it's never a dull moment here. The amazing soundtrack lifts this film even further for me. Lovely shot - why black and white? I don't know, it's fitting, but I don't think colors would kill the vibe, really.

Incredible performances, Bruce Dern as the father and Will Forte as the son especially, June Squibb as the mother is the funniest here, while Stacy Keach is a nice addition too. Angela McEwan delivers as Peg - she started her career as an actor at the age of 70 or so, that's way cool. Speaking of age and acting - it's many elder actors here, some of them big in the old days - now doing something looking like a comeback.

Payne's best film for me, and I enjoyed "Sideways" a lot and found "The Descendants" pretty good too. A beautiful, beautiful film among the best ones of 2013 - a very strong movie year.

9 out of 10 compressors.
½ September 3, 2017
A slow paced drama with moments of comedy. Unfortunately I just couldn't connect with any of the characters and the inspiring moments were few and too far between. I found some of the acting a bit ordinary and staged. AAN GGN 1001
August 26, 2017
Now there was a great film!
August 18, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, what s this? Another movie about Lincoln?

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Nope. It s Bruce Dern and a million dollar prize. Let s Recap.

SCOTT: Nebraska begins with Woody Grant (Bruce Dern) walking along a highway in Billings, Montana. Woody has just received notification in the mail that he has won a $1 million sweepstakes prize and must travel to Lincoln, Nebraska to claim his winnings. His son, David (Will Forte) finds Woody and tries to convince him that the sweepstakes is a scam. Woody refuses to believe him and will do everything in his power to get to Lincoln, even if it means walking the entire distance of 700 miles.

GREG: But David takes pity on his alcoholic dad and agrees to drive him to Nebraska. They stop along the way in Woody s home town of Hawthorne where they meet a bunch of Woody s old friends and family. Hawthorne hasn t changed much since Woody left it 30 years ago. Everyone treats Woody pretty much as they did when he lived there - dismissively. Things are going pretty well when Woody lets slip that he s won a million dollars. That s when the tides change and people s true feelings come out.

SCOTT: Greg, Nebraska is a moving story about a son s journey of discovery with his aging father. This movie is, simply, a story about a man s love for his father and how that love is tested. It is tested by the father s alcoholism, the father s growing dementia, and some secrets about the father s past. Through it all, we see how love prevails. The son David undergoes a subtle but important transformation in this story. At first, he indulges the father s get-rich fantasy as simply a way of keeping the peace. But as the story unfolds, the son develops a growing awareness of the deeper significance of his father s dream. This revelation about the journey becomes a breakthrough that does more than just bring about the son s own personal transformation. It also leads to a deepened and more meaningful relationship with his father.

GREG: You re right, Scott. David has always seen his father as a flawed man and it seems he never really connected with his dad. He believes that Woody was not a very good father. But by travelling back to Woody s boyhood home, he begins to realize that Woody had a difficult childhood and was, perhaps, more well-adjusted than he at first thought. This is a textured movie. We re witness to sibling rivalry between the two brothers David and Ross (Bob Odenkirk). David s mother Kate (June Squibb) thinks Woody is senile and should be put in a home. She constantly complains that Woody is no help around the house. And the portrait director Alexander Payne paints of small town America is brought home with the silent viewing of football games or sitting on the roadside watching cars go by. It was a very familiar picture for me.

SCOTT: There is so much to like about this film. Many good choices were made by director Alexander Payne. For starters, the decision to film Nebraska in black and white enables the movie to capture the bleakness of the wintry landscape of the upper midwest. It also underscores the simplicity and transparency of the people that David and Woody meet. The cinematography in Nebraska is stark, cold, sweeping, and as big and as desolate as the prairie land itself. Casting Will Forte as David was also a stroke of genius. Forte is highly effective in portraying the sweet innocence of David as well as the sadness and love that David has for his father. It s a love that is simple on the surface but we discover that it is also a love riddled with sad complexities. Bruce Dern is brilliant in his role as Woody, a man who is both endearing and pitiful at the same time. Your description of the film and its characters as textured is right on the money, Greg.

GREG: Woody s constant return to walking the highways reminded me of The Odyssey. He kept moving from place to place. Each time he landed there were more monsters to fight. I thought Nebraska was a wonderful story told in the simplest terms about simple people. I enjoyed getting to know Woody step-by-step in his journey. For a good bit of storytelling without being saccharine or patronizing, I give Nebraska 5 out of 5 Reels. This is not a classic hero s journey. David seemed to be more transformed than did Woody. I award the pair of them 4 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero:

SCOTT: Woody may have been unable to change given his growing dementia, but he did play a significant role in bringing about his son David s transformation. David turns out to be one of the most likeable characters in the movies in the year 2013. The hero journey to Nebraska allows him to grow in ways he never could have anticipated. There is a newfound wisdom and compassion for his father that only this journey could reveal. I agree that his character earns 4 Heroes out of 5. The movie itself is a terrific artistic achievement in the way it was filmed, directed, and executed by everyone involved. The look and feel of Nebraska is unlike anything we ve seen in the movies this year. I was going to give it 4 out of 5 Reels, but Greg, you ve helped convince me that it deserves the entire 5 Reels. Movie: Hero:
July 26, 2017
Beautifully acted road movie.
May 25, 2017
8 7 7 8 7 8 8 8 8 7 = 76
May 8, 2017
Emocionante, aconchegante, engrašado e realÝstico. #AmeiEsteFilme
May 6, 2017
2009 Was 4 Years Old In 2013.
½ March 13, 2017
Such a simple and beautiful movie. Bruce Dern and Will Forte really bring these unique character's to life. Bob Odenkirk is really good as well. It's a funny and heart warming character drama. Alexander Payne does a great job with the script. The cinematography and score are both great. My only complaint is it is a little slow, but you should definitely give it a watch.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 26, 2017
Nebraska is a painfully funny comedy with an impeccable cast.
½ January 26, 2017
3.67 --- Oddly weird and charming at the same time.
½ January 12, 2017
HUGELY overrated and awful!
½ December 20, 2016
Despite the cinematography in an unnecessary (but effective) black and white, this melancholy drama has quite a surprising sense of humor and characters who prove to be a lot more complex than we would give them credit for, with Dern and Squibb in fantastic performances.
December 10, 2016
Amazingly sensitive, gentle and raw.
December 9, 2016
a delight. beautifully executed. would be happy to watch again.
October 27, 2016
Charming little indie movie. A lot of warmth from a black-and-white.
September 25, 2016
Very good and very interesting movie! I liked the acting and the well thought out story. Definitely recommended.