Newsies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Newsies Reviews

July 28, 2017
Classic! The critics totally got it wrong on this one.
July 28, 2017
Conner Murphy looks happy here! Interesting look into his past, he will be missed!
May 28, 2017
One of my favorite movies! It looks good, but the Broadway musical version of this movie is way better!!!
May 21, 2017
This is in the top 5 of my all time favorite films. The music is great. I find myself singing the songs. I would love to see a live play of this film.
April 3, 2017
I loved Newsies as a kid for the catchy songs, the sarcastic humor, the cool characters and the impressive choreography. I love Newsies as an adult for its throwback style, the political themes, and the dense lyrics...and for all the other stuff as well. A cult classic that should actually just be a classic.
March 20, 2017
Not actually very good. It has a fine cast, and an OK premise, but overall it's just kind of dumb. The music is bad, too.
½ September 19, 2016
In the early 1990s Disney animation was making a surge back to the top with some of the most inspired films they ever made, but it seems their live-action studio was taking a swift dive into the cellar. Newsies is a film that I watched thinking it was new-to-me and about halfway through I realized "I must have seen this on The Magical World of Disney, or something like that." The story is one that actually is rooted in the history of the newsboy strike in 1899 New York. They use that premise and put it in a musical that has songs written by Alan Menken which is definitely to its benefit, because they have catchy tunes that I can see people getting hooked on. The other big plus to these musical numbers are the large choreographed dance numbers. The dancing adds some extra pop to the musical numbers that made me smile, and you can totally see why someone was inspired to adapt this show for Broadway. My problem with Newsies is I have an issue with enjoying most child actors, and this movie is loaded with them. There's some obnoxious performances in this cast, they play extremely cheesy characters, and they use horribly false accents. Somehow even the adults bring themselves down to the kids' level and we get hokey performances from decent actors like Robert Duvall and Bill Pullman. So, while I had some fun with the story and about half of the songs/dances were really good, I couldn't get into the film simply because the acting was so lackluster. Your mileage may vary, but I suspect without nostalgia, Newsies will not connect with adult audiences.
September 18, 2016
i love musicals and this is my favorite of all time, i know critics tend to destroy this movie but i think it's great.
½ July 13, 2016
Love this movie. Its the kind of cheesy but still really enjoyable. Plus, the songs are extremely catchy, perfect for kids! It has its faults, but an overall fun movie.
March 26, 2016
EVERYONE MUST SEE THE BROADWAY STAGE VERSION TOURING TODAY
February 26, 2016
I can't believe Christian Bale left BATMAN for this!
½ February 24, 2016
A fantastic musical! Disney's take on the newsboys' strike is fun and inspiring. I love it! (First viewing - Fall 2009)
February 22, 2016
I don't know why I've waited this long to watch this underrated Disney movie! It's got fun characters and great music from Alan Menken (as always).
January 6, 2016
An "ok" musical, there wasn't really any memorable songs in the film. I did love seeing a young Christian Bale give a different kind of performance.
September 3, 2015
LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie!! It's a classic with great singing and strong male dancers! I cannot believe that it was a flop! It's my favorite musical... and where else are you going to see Christian Bale singing, dancing, and smiling??
July 1, 2015
Despite this film's flaws, I think many broadway fans will be able to get into it. I know I could for the most part. Overall, a decent family flick.
May 20, 2015
Awesome music and dancing from its cast.
½ March 29, 2015
One of those rare musicals where it failed both critically, commercially, and as a film. Nothing comes together in this film. It's a mess, a fascinating mess, but nonetheless a mess.
November 4, 2014
Overall, the movie flopped. The storyline would be pretty good if it were not ruined by the awful forced accents, the clichà (C) situations, horrible songs, overly-gutsy acting and cheap costumes. The only thing I enjoyed in the slightest was how it was historically accurate (more or less) including themes about urbanization, child labor, strikes and the newspaper. But keep in mind, this movie was produced by Disney. What do you expect? Definitely on the low end of the Disney movie spectrum.
November 3, 2014
Newsies works purely as a story and even better as a song & dance picture.