Night on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night on Earth Reviews

½ December 2, 2016
Review In A Nutshell:

I started Jim Jarmusch's filmography with Down By Law, and that film left me kind of disappointed due to it's emotionless and lack of drive during the first half of the film. Though left underwhelmed, I still had faith on Jarmusch as there is something about his style and storytelling that makes me want to come back for more. I came into Night on Earth with small expectations and surprisingly, it succeeded in surpassing it and delivered an experience I wouldn't forget. The film doesn't feature a plot or a even a clear connection or similarities between each of the five storylines, aside from the fact that it tells the story of a cab driver and a passenger. I enjoyed the film all the way through, with each story coming off as beautiful managing to evoke something out of me. Each individual segment explores different themes and I was surprised how much Jarmusch was able to focus on so many and not have the film feel messy and directionless. The film's simplistic and character-centered photography was appealing, and the film's optimistic and sometimes quirky music makes the stories feel light and accessible even when things get dark. The film featured great acting with standout performances from Winona Ryder, Beatrice Dalle, Giancarlo Esposito, Armin Mueller-Stahl, and Matti Pellonpaa. Night on Earth is an example of showing what would be down to earth stories and making something significant out of it.
½ November 17, 2016
May have been one of the bases to have inspired "Taxicab Confessions" which centers on 5 different cities from NYC , LA, Paris, Rome and Helsinki where the passengers interact with their passengers.
October 25, 2016
Jarmusch, always with a vision and style. Blending in five different scenes of people with such between-worlds needs and life-situations. A study of the differ of the human man. First a young girl with her life planned, sticking to it even though gold is offered. Secondly a man without any skills, positive to the bone even when there is no shreds of hope. Third a blind girl with better eyesight than the seeing man. Forth a babbling mess without any reach for other than himself, scuffling away from any problem. And last a wounded logical fin, longing for the problems others getting drunkfaced over.
September 23, 2016
An strange mix between great stories and some mediocre pieces. Not as funny as I wanted it to be, nor as good.
½ July 6, 2016
Night on Earth is a beautiful movie in all it's simplicity. In the center of the movie are the encounters of people, who maybe wouldn't meet otherwise, but in a taxi cab they get a connection to each other - or to themselves.
The movie is a mixture of drama and black comedy (especially Roberto Benigni's character is unbelievably funny!) that carries through the movie. It consists of five quite different episodes located in different cities of the world. Although the main idea is quite simple, after seeing this movie you have a feeling that you have in some level at least learned or remembered something important about the world and human beings.
½ April 14, 2016
This movie is not just empty - the first story in Los Angeles does not deliver anything at all - or stupid: the episode from Helsinki, supposed to be a tear jerker, is so false and stupid to turn to comic.
It is also, in the episode from Rome, offensive well beyond the limit of racism.
In this horrible movie Jim jarmusch portrays Italy as an economically underdevolped country, a place where taxi drivers drive the wrong way and smoke in their own taxi (Italy has been the first country in Europe to introduce restrictions to smoking in public places: ant the law is applied and respected), and the Italian people, according to the racist Jarmusch, are permanently aroused, to the point that, when they do not have sex on the public street, they have sex with pumpkins and animals.
A collection of the worst anti-italian prejudices. I strongly suggest to any Italian, and to any person that loves Italy, to boycott Jim Jarmusch forever.
A horrible movie, when not empty and/or stupid, full of prejudices and prone to the most hideous racism.
February 8, 2016
On of the funniest and smart black comedies of all time.A great character study with lots of wit and humor.This is true cinema!
½ February 6, 2016
Really enjoyed movie. 5 scenes in different part of the world. All cab drivers
½ January 7, 2016
One of the early 5 (or a few, mini-stories, sub-plots) in 1 (film) back in the '90s. Kinda amusing in general.
December 21, 2015
A thoroughly enjoyable work by Jim Jarmusch , capturing an exact moment in time in LA, NYC, Paris, Rome and Helsinki. None of the vignettes disappoint but the NYC segment with Giancarlo Esposito, Rosie Perez and Armin Mueller-Stahl and the Rome segment with wonderful Roberto Benigni are homeruns!
November 11, 2015
Five short stories all taking place in a cab in different cities around the world. Unique, but Jarmusch's style is not for all.
½ July 16, 2015
I feel safest at nighttime, not on the streets but in the sheets, cemented to my bed with my laptop by my side. These summer nights seem to beg me to stay up until the earliest hours of the morning, and it's hard not to comply - at two pm, there's nothing in the world stopping a friend from asking you for a favor, a grandma inviting you to move furniture for an estate sale, a parent demanding you mow both lawns, take out the garbage, and clean your bathroom. But at two am, every one of those people is asleep: nobody expects anything from you, and, for once, the stresses of reality cease because no one else is throwing them in your face. Nighttime is a period of spooky solitude, elusively appealing.
"Night on Earth" divides itself into five vignettes, all set during these wee hours, all involving the relationship between a taxi driver and their temporary client, all in a different city. Directed by Jim Jarmusch, one might expect a deadpan drama of steeping revelations and scintillating conversations, in the way "Broken Flowers" could make even the most awkward of an exchange blossom with black hilarity. But "Night on Earth" is wildly uneven, some of the segments mostly involving, others splendidly acted but unsuccessful in their rendering. I've always felt that a movie comprised of short films should be so arresting in each segment that it wouldn't be unheard of to pine for a longer, feature adaptation. But even in its best moments, "Night on Earth" is slight, some performers more pleasing than others - a difficulty when some segments are damaged by particular characters.
The first vignette, set in Los Angeles, stars Winona Ryder as the cab driver, Corky, Gena Rowlands as the passenger, Victoria. Corky, young and spunky, chain smokes, chews bubblegum, and figures that her dream career is that of a mechanic; Victoria, middle-aged, welcoming, and refined, is a casting agent looking for fresh talent. She sees a spark in Corky, figuring her rough-and-tumble attitude could be assembled into a rebellious, cool product headed toward stardom. This segment, though dampened by Ryder's unconvincing portrayal of a grungy youth with small dreams, makes an impression thanks to the always lovely Rowlands, who makes what could be an unlikable character affectionate, motherly even.
The second, stationed in New York and headed by Armin Mueller-Stahl, Giancarlo Esposito, and Rosie Perez, is the second most annoying of the segments: driver Stahl, a German immigrant, hardly knows how to drive, so his customer Esposito takes over the wheel and loudmouths his way through awkward silences. Midway through the trip, the two pick up the shrill Perez, who happens to be Esposito's sister-in-law. The vignette could be enjoyable, with Stahl sweetening the atmosphere as a gentle giant, but Esposito and Perez are so obnoxious that we can hardly wait for the short to be over.
The third sequence travels to Paris, by far working as the most straightforward, best written moment in the film. Here, a blind woman (Béatrice Dalle) gets a ride from an endlessly pissed off driver (Isaach De Bankolé) who rethinks his usual grumpiness after she gives him a run for his money: the woman, it seems, is scorned by life and completely disregards her ailment, scoffing whenever her cabbie asks an inappropriately curious question. The segment works so well because of the rapport between Dalle and Bankolé - whereas the other shorts attempt to have the characters find a mutual understanding between each other, Dalle and Bankolé's mutual curiosity/disdain bears an odd sexual tension, fascinating just enough to leave us potentially wanting more but backing off when considering just how well it works.
I won't go far into the fourth sequence (set in Rome), which is jaw-droppingly irritating as comedian Roberto Benigni delivers a mile-a-minute performance as a cab driver who just won't shut up. If he's annoying to his guest then he's annoying to us as well - don't expect to want to do anything besides fast-forward as his mouth runs into oblivion, us preferring deafness to hearing any more about another one of his sexual experiences. Following the exasperation of this vignette, "Night on Earth" ends on a melancholy note as it hits the snowy streets of Helsinski, with a group of passengers complaining about how horrible their friend's day was until the driver decides to top it with a soul crushing experience himself.
While I appreciate Jim Jarmusch's enviable ability to turn realism into sardonic astuteness, "Night on Earth" feels more like a filmmaking exercise than an actual film. It doesn't move - it serves as an experiment pleasing only the people involved while the audience sits and waits patiently for something moving to happen.
June 10, 2015
An excellent movie, with remarkable cast and nice music.
½ January 31, 2015
Nice conversational flick, focusing on cabs in 5 different cities around the world...
January 26, 2015
Night on Earth [1991]
January 18, 2015
Cinco historias de taxistas en diferentes ciudades del mundo contadas al estilo tranquilo y sobrio de Jim Jarmusch con un sentido del humor muy negro . Muy recomendable.
January 10, 2015
Not bad film with curious stories, fine night time towns and jazzy tones of soundtrack. Comic stories at first turn to sad and bleak ones at the end.
½ August 31, 2014
Liked it very much, 5/5 points!
August 20, 2014
I love it, even there are other movies like it.
August 9, 2014
This movie is a purely dialogue driven film. several interesting well acted story's that could have taken place anywhere but work best in a cab. its as good as the dialogue in a tarintino movie without the violence. Roberto Benigni is really good in this as well.