Night on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night on Earth Reviews

½ February 6, 2018
Jim Jarmusch's best films are about encounters between strangers. All human life can be there. Here, his canvas is five cab journeys that take place concurrently in five cities across the world - clowns, priests, blind women, drunks - strangers who discover a shared humanity during their thirty-minute journeys. Proof again that there can be more drama in the lighting of a cigarette than a dozen huge explosions.
December 27, 2017
F

8.1

[Jim Jarmusch]
November 26, 2017
Excellent movie 'composed' by Jim Jarmusch. I absolutely love everything about it, from excellent soundtrack by Tom Waits to beautiful city scenes that make my wanna sit & gaze for hours.
October 4, 2017
Night on Earth is one of Jim Jarmusch's best films with whip-smart writing, confident direction and cast of delightfully oddball characters.
½ September 12, 2017
I enjoyed the five seperate taxi based stories. I wish I could have seen the final three with subtitles, then I would have understood the humor at least. I'll keep trying until I find it though. The NY one was brilliant though with the play on names. Ryder was good as well, wanting to be a mechanic and not a movie star.

I finally saw the last three. Although they come across as odd, you still find yourself enjoying them. Certainly this film has a different perspective on life.
August 20, 2017
Love this movie! Stumbled across it at an Air Force video library about 20 years ago, been trying to find it ever since
March 5, 2017
Buena película para la epoca, excelente el desarrollo que se logra dentro de un taxi
½ January 8, 2017
Great concept along with touching music by Tom Waits. On the negative side, the acting is sometimes strange and it gives you the feeling that you could sympathise with the characters more than you already do, if it was different.
½ December 2, 2016
Review In A Nutshell:

I started Jim Jarmusch's filmography with Down By Law, and that film left me kind of disappointed due to it's emotionless and lack of drive during the first half of the film. Though left underwhelmed, I still had faith on Jarmusch as there is something about his style and storytelling that makes me want to come back for more. I came into Night on Earth with small expectations and surprisingly, it succeeded in surpassing it and delivered an experience I wouldn't forget. The film doesn't feature a plot or a even a clear connection or similarities between each of the five storylines, aside from the fact that it tells the story of a cab driver and a passenger. I enjoyed the film all the way through, with each story coming off as beautiful managing to evoke something out of me. Each individual segment explores different themes and I was surprised how much Jarmusch was able to focus on so many and not have the film feel messy and directionless. The film's simplistic and character-centered photography was appealing, and the film's optimistic and sometimes quirky music makes the stories feel light and accessible even when things get dark. The film featured great acting with standout performances from Winona Ryder, Beatrice Dalle, Giancarlo Esposito, Armin Mueller-Stahl, and Matti Pellonpaa. Night on Earth is an example of showing what would be down to earth stories and making something significant out of it.
½ November 17, 2016
May have been one of the bases to have inspired "Taxicab Confessions" which centers on 5 different cities from NYC , LA, Paris, Rome and Helsinki where the passengers interact with their passengers.
October 25, 2016
Jarmusch, always with a vision and style. Blending in five different scenes of people with such between-worlds needs and life-situations. A study of the differ of the human man. First a young girl with her life planned, sticking to it even though gold is offered. Secondly a man without any skills, positive to the bone even when there is no shreds of hope. Third a blind girl with better eyesight than the seeing man. Forth a babbling mess without any reach for other than himself, scuffling away from any problem. And last a wounded logical fin, longing for the problems others getting drunkfaced over.
September 23, 2016
An strange mix between great stories and some mediocre pieces. Not as funny as I wanted it to be, nor as good.
½ July 6, 2016
Night on Earth is a beautiful movie in all it's simplicity. In the center of the movie are the encounters of people, who maybe wouldn't meet otherwise, but in a taxi cab they get a connection to each other - or to themselves.
The movie is a mixture of drama and black comedy (especially Roberto Benigni's character is unbelievably funny!) that carries through the movie. It consists of five quite different episodes located in different cities of the world. Although the main idea is quite simple, after seeing this movie you have a feeling that you have in some level at least learned or remembered something important about the world and human beings.
½ April 14, 2016
This movie is not just empty - the first story in Los Angeles does not deliver anything at all - or stupid: the episode from Helsinki, supposed to be a tear jerker, is so false and stupid to turn to comic.
It is also, in the episode from Rome, offensive well beyond the limit of racism.
In this horrible movie Jim jarmusch portrays Italy as an economically underdevolped country, a place where taxi drivers drive the wrong way and smoke in their own taxi (Italy has been the first country in Europe to introduce restrictions to smoking in public places: ant the law is applied and respected), and the Italian people, according to the racist Jarmusch, are permanently aroused, to the point that, when they do not have sex on the public street, they have sex with pumpkins and animals.
A collection of the worst anti-italian prejudices. I strongly suggest to any Italian, and to any person that loves Italy, to boycott Jim Jarmusch forever.
A horrible movie, when not empty and/or stupid, full of prejudices and prone to the most hideous racism.
February 8, 2016
On of the funniest and smart black comedies of all time.A great character study with lots of wit and humor.This is true cinema!
½ February 6, 2016
Really enjoyed movie. 5 scenes in different part of the world. All cab drivers
½ January 7, 2016
One of the early 5 (or a few, mini-stories, sub-plots) in 1 (film) back in the '90s. Kinda amusing in general.
December 21, 2015
A thoroughly enjoyable work by Jim Jarmusch , capturing an exact moment in time in LA, NYC, Paris, Rome and Helsinki. None of the vignettes disappoint but the NYC segment with Giancarlo Esposito, Rosie Perez and Armin Mueller-Stahl and the Rome segment with wonderful Roberto Benigni are homeruns!
November 11, 2015
Five short stories all taking place in a cab in different cities around the world. Unique, but Jarmusch's style is not for all.