Nixon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nixon Reviews

September 27, 2016
Super film. Tremendous performance by Hopkins.
April 24, 2016
Brilliant, dazzling, beautiful and poignant. An in-depth study of a complex and conflicted character. Wonderful stuff. Use of colour, black and white, and montage is stylish and slick and works brilliantly. Anthony Hopkins is superb as Nixon. A must see.
April 5, 2016
A very good biopic of the most controversial president in US history. Stone does a really good job of taking you back in time and giving you the context surrounding the man himself. I don't think Hopkins was the right choice for the lead role, namely because he sounds nothing at all like the man he's trying to portray. But aside from that, he does a decent job of displaying Nixon's mannerisms and emotions.
It also would have been nice to have more depth re the issues that the film addresses, but I guess with a run-time of already 190min, that would've turned this film into a mini-series. For example, some of the more controversial issues such as the Kent State shootings, the Cambodia campaign, as well as the tapes themselves are addressed in a manner that assumes the viewer is already well informed of the events, hence tackles them mainly from Nixon's brief reactions to them. I guess a little more action at the expense of drama would have been more to my liking. Regardless, this was a dramatic biopic, so that criticism is of little regard to Stone's intentions.
Overall, it's a very good movie, but I would still suggest that novice viewers watch some of the YouTube documentaries on Nixon if they're looking for a fuller picture of dismayed president.
½ March 12, 2016
Looks like Hopkins tried his best.
½ February 15, 2016
I know it's melodramatic and highly fictionalized but I still enjoy it. Hopkins is an incorrigible ham from start to finish, but it works for this kind of grand, operatic staging of Nixon's presidency.
January 24, 2016
John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer Of All Time.
½ January 22, 2016
Saw this on 22/1/16
Mesmerizing performance from Anthony Hopkins, Oliver Stone's trademark visual structure and a first hour and half of strong solid drama cannot make Nixon an enjoyable film. It's a long tedious and often extremely boring film that is too political and lacking the hyperkinetic feel of stone's largely successful political thriller JFK. The film works as a good character study of a mad man, someone like a Shakespearean tragic hero, more like Othello than Macbeth or Hamlet. Joan Allen gives a considerably appreciable performance considering the run time that she has been provided with. Had Nixon been a bit short and more fast paced, it would have been better and it's politics can only be understood clearly by those who have some good prior knowledge of it all. One sad thing is that, towards the end, the film solely concentrates on Nixon's inner demons that it so easily forgets to involve the story of what all is happening during that time.
January 18, 2016
A great movie about Nixon's rise and fall from power. It is greatly acted by Hopkins and well directed by Stone who mixes stock and filmed footage. together.Its only defects are at times it can have uneven pacing and Oliver Stone can play fast and loose with real events and people as he does. However a great movie.
January 16, 2016
One of my personal favorite films. Widely underappreciated as Stone's next best film after JFK and not very far behind to begin with. Hopkins might not look like Nixon but he sure takes over Nixon's persona and breathes emapthy to the presidency that not many Nixon films can attract. Therefore negating the non resemblance. One of his best roles in my opinion.
January 9, 2016
Anthony Hopkins does a marvelous job of portraying Nixon, even though he looks quite different than Nixon. By the end of the film you forget he is just the actor and not the real thing. He has his physical posture and gestures down cold, as well as his manner of speaking. A brilliant performance. However, you must realize that this is Oliver Stone's take on Nixon, not necessarily the whole truth. If you watch it with an open mind you will find it very interesting as the film mixes actual clips of the real Nixon with the fictional account of the movie.A fascinating film.
December 8, 2015
President Nixon is one of the most controversial and polarizing figures in American history. Most people know about Watergate, and everything that came along with that. But unless you read about Nixon, you never really knew about the man behind all of this. Oliver Stone dives more into Nixon's psyche and personality amidst the backdrop of his political career. For me this movie personally is more like 3 stars maybe 3.5, but for the sake of rating movies for other people, I didn't go that far, because this movie is surely not for everyone. Based loosely on a fantastic book by Bob Woodward (one of the reporters who broke the Watergate story) called "The Final Days" about the end of Nixon's presidency this movie is a really vivid portrait of a very socially awkward man, who's entire life is being in the public eye. I have never seen someone so unfit to be a politician because of the constant attention but yet, that is all he has a passion for. It is very odd to watch. Anthony Hopkins would not have been my first choice for this role, seeing that he is supremely overrated in the grand scheme of things, but he does a fantastic job playing this character. Oscar worthy performance in my opinion actually. Just for you information though this is not a movie about Watergate and the behind the scenes scandal of Watergate. Yes it goes very deep and detailed into the Watergate scandal from all players involved. But this movie is a biopic about Richard Nixon's full life, from when he was a kid until the end of his presidency. I find the movie rather fascinating because I have always been interested in Richard Nixon and his presidency. Stone puts his usual spin on the movie from color to black and white, to strange music, and making rather boring talking scenes really intense with his camera work. Stone did a fantastic job on this film.
August 24, 2015
I very much liked the film bio Nixon where Anthony Hopkins plays the former president it also has very good supporting cast with such performers as james woods,larry hagman,ed harris,joan allen and paul sorvino
July 9, 2015
The story of Richard Nixon, focused on his years as President. Directed by Oliver Stone in one of his most realistic, historically accurate films, and with a tour de force performance by Anthony Hopkins as Nixon. With Joan Allen as Pat Nixon, and an all star cast playing all the President's men. Gripping, memorable, moving, and true-to-life.
½ July 5, 2015
Anthony Hopkins gives a legendary performance as everyone's favorite president. This is a good history lesson for those interested. Even if the events depicted are not entirely true.
June 29, 2015
Another one of Stone's didactic lectures. At 3 hours and ten minutes this self-important movie is an hour and forty minutes too long. The over-rated director directs over-rated lead actor.
June 14, 2015
A masterpiece with surprising empathy for Richard Nixon. This, Platoon and JFK are Stone's best films.
½ May 15, 2015
Some great performances, but it's dragged out way to much. It gets boring and outlives its welcome.
½ March 27, 2015
I like Anthony Hopkins, moreso than I like Nixon.
March 4, 2015
It taken me awhile to finally Watch "Nixon" from director Oliver Stone (Born on the Fourth of Jury, Natural Born Killers, Platoon). One of the reasons, i was never interested in this movie, because i felt that Anthony Hopkins looks nothing like Richard Nixon and as a person, i never really got into politics, whatever it is a good thing or bad thing. Some people's lives are really into politics but i can't never get into it. But i love movies, that's my life for the most part. I felt that Stone never got to top "Natural Born Killers", which some people felt, it was his last great film. I felt, he is been struggling ever since. Although he still makes the occassional good movie but most of them lacks any real bite.

"Nixon" is a movie that is very loosely based on his live. For the most part, it is a very fictional story with some truths or at least, Stone (Who also co-wrote the script) makes "Nixon" gets to make interesting and it shows fragments of him as a man. It reminded me of his later film "W." at times. But since "Nixon" was made in the mid 1990's. Stone's visual style with his camera work comes close to "JFK" and even "Natural Born Killers" at times. Besides Hopkins' terrific and sometimes over the top Oscar nominated performance. There is some excellent supporting performances here from Joan Allen in a Oscar nominated role as his long suffering supportive wife, James Woods as H.R. Haldeman, unrecongizable Paul Sorvino as Henry Kissinger (The make-up work on the actor is terrific), Powers Boothe as Alexander Haig, Ed Harris as E. Edward Hunt and others cast members. Since the movie has plenty of familiar faces, how matter how small or big, their supporting roles are...most of them have memorable roles in it.

"Nixon" is an ambitious film, at times, it can be a difficult movie to follow if you know nothing about these real-life characters that the actors are playing in it. It is one of those movies, that you have to pay attention to dialogue and detail. "Nixon" is a extremely long film, it might bore some viewers to death but if you get into, it can be an fascinating picture. Sometimes the plot can be all over the place and at times, the film's tone changes quite often. The scènes in the film can be Political Satire to Darkly Funny to Drama to Thriller. In Stone's film, it wants to be all and somehow it works.

It was an box office bomb, back in 1995. Which it was the slow decline of Stone's movies after that (Although "Nixon" and his next film "U-Turn" do have cult followings). The movie also got two Oscar nominations for Best Original Screenplay that it was shared with Stone and two screenwriters:Stephen J. Rivele and Christopher Wilkinson. Also John Williams' beautiful, sometimes eerie music score got an Oscar nomination as well.

I am glad, i finally seen "Nixon" after all these years. Would i revisit this again ? Sure, i would for the bigger than lifes performances in it, Stone's visual style and Williams' fantastic score in it. Since i never seen the original theatrical cut, the Blu-ray is the Director's Cut, which over 20 minutes of additional footage were added. I am not sure, what was added back to Stone's Director Cut but i heard Sam Waterson's scene as the CIA director Richard Helms was added back to Stone's Director's Cut.

Overall "Nixon" does have moments of greatness but at the end, like Stone's later film "W.", we don't know much of "Nixon" expect just glimpse of it, especially in his personal life. Stone is having fun with the real-life characters in it and sometimes putting them in very absurd but intriguing situations for better or worse. One of the highlights of "Nixon" that Stone goes for the innovative techniques with this style, especially mixing film stocks. For the most part, "Nixon" feels like a documentary but done in a highly artistic expression and being outrageous at the same time. In a way, it feels that Stone didn't want to end the movie, he wanted to show more. Blu-ray includes commentaries tracks, an documentary, vintage featurette with director Stone being interviewed by Charlie Rose, deleted scènes with introduction by the director and the original theatrical trailer.

"Nixon" is a fascinating and longish picture that won't appeal to some tastes but if you get into the story and the characters, you might have yourself being entertained by the whole thing in this messy but always intriguing picture.
½ December 26, 2014
Great movie. Hopkins does an incredible job of portraying Nixon. Nixon comes across as a brilliant, but complicated politician. Definitely worth watching.