Nixon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nixon Reviews

½ March 6, 2017
Stone dials the conspiracy back quite a bit. The result is a balanced and well-made movie about a much maligned figure.
February 27, 2017
How everyone compared Trump to Nixon made me curious about him.
September 27, 2016
Super film. Tremendous performance by Hopkins.
April 24, 2016
Brilliant, dazzling, beautiful and poignant. An in-depth study of a complex and conflicted character. Wonderful stuff. Use of colour, black and white, and montage is stylish and slick and works brilliantly. Anthony Hopkins is superb as Nixon. A must see.
April 5, 2016
A very good biopic of the most controversial president in US history. Stone does a really good job of taking you back in time and giving you the context surrounding the man himself. I don't think Hopkins was the right choice for the lead role, namely because he sounds nothing at all like the man he's trying to portray. But aside from that, he does a decent job of displaying Nixon's mannerisms and emotions.
It also would have been nice to have more depth re the issues that the film addresses, but I guess with a run-time of already 190min, that would've turned this film into a mini-series. For example, some of the more controversial issues such as the Kent State shootings, the Cambodia campaign, as well as the tapes themselves are addressed in a manner that assumes the viewer is already well informed of the events, hence tackles them mainly from Nixon's brief reactions to them. I guess a little more action at the expense of drama would have been more to my liking. Regardless, this was a dramatic biopic, so that criticism is of little regard to Stone's intentions.
Overall, it's a very good movie, but I would still suggest that novice viewers watch some of the YouTube documentaries on Nixon if they're looking for a fuller picture of dismayed president.
½ March 12, 2016
Looks like Hopkins tried his best.
½ February 15, 2016
I know it's melodramatic and highly fictionalized but I still enjoy it. Hopkins is an incorrigible ham from start to finish, but it works for this kind of grand, operatic staging of Nixon's presidency.
January 24, 2016
John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer Of All Time.
½ January 22, 2016
55%
Saw this on 22/1/16
Mesmerizing performance from Anthony Hopkins, Oliver Stone's trademark visual structure and a first hour and half of strong solid drama cannot make Nixon an enjoyable film. It's a long tedious and often extremely boring film that is too political and lacking the hyperkinetic feel of stone's largely successful political thriller JFK. The film works as a good character study of a mad man, someone like a Shakespearean tragic hero, more like Othello than Macbeth or Hamlet. Joan Allen gives a considerably appreciable performance considering the run time that she has been provided with. Had Nixon been a bit short and more fast paced, it would have been better and it's politics can only be understood clearly by those who have some good prior knowledge of it all. One sad thing is that, towards the end, the film solely concentrates on Nixon's inner demons that it so easily forgets to involve the story of what all is happening during that time.
January 18, 2016
A great movie about Nixon's rise and fall from power. It is greatly acted by Hopkins and well directed by Stone who mixes stock and filmed footage. together.Its only defects are at times it can have uneven pacing and Oliver Stone can play fast and loose with real events and people as he does. However a great movie.
January 16, 2016
One of my personal favorite films. Widely underappreciated as Stone's next best film after JFK and not very far behind to begin with. Hopkins might not look like Nixon but he sure takes over Nixon's persona and breathes emapthy to the presidency that not many Nixon films can attract. Therefore negating the non resemblance. One of his best roles in my opinion.
January 9, 2016
Anthony Hopkins does a marvelous job of portraying Nixon, even though he looks quite different than Nixon. By the end of the film you forget he is just the actor and not the real thing. He has his physical posture and gestures down cold, as well as his manner of speaking. A brilliant performance. However, you must realize that this is Oliver Stone's take on Nixon, not necessarily the whole truth. If you watch it with an open mind you will find it very interesting as the film mixes actual clips of the real Nixon with the fictional account of the movie.A fascinating film.
December 8, 2015
President Nixon is one of the most controversial and polarizing figures in American history. Most people know about Watergate, and everything that came along with that. But unless you read about Nixon, you never really knew about the man behind all of this. Oliver Stone dives more into Nixon's psyche and personality amidst the backdrop of his political career. For me this movie personally is more like 3 stars maybe 3.5, but for the sake of rating movies for other people, I didn't go that far, because this movie is surely not for everyone. Based loosely on a fantastic book by Bob Woodward (one of the reporters who broke the Watergate story) called "The Final Days" about the end of Nixon's presidency this movie is a really vivid portrait of a very socially awkward man, who's entire life is being in the public eye. I have never seen someone so unfit to be a politician because of the constant attention but yet, that is all he has a passion for. It is very odd to watch. Anthony Hopkins would not have been my first choice for this role, seeing that he is supremely overrated in the grand scheme of things, but he does a fantastic job playing this character. Oscar worthy performance in my opinion actually. Just for you information though this is not a movie about Watergate and the behind the scenes scandal of Watergate. Yes it goes very deep and detailed into the Watergate scandal from all players involved. But this movie is a biopic about Richard Nixon's full life, from when he was a kid until the end of his presidency. I find the movie rather fascinating because I have always been interested in Richard Nixon and his presidency. Stone puts his usual spin on the movie from color to black and white, to strange music, and making rather boring talking scenes really intense with his camera work. Stone did a fantastic job on this film.
August 24, 2015
I very much liked the film bio Nixon where Anthony Hopkins plays the former president it also has very good supporting cast with such performers as james woods,larry hagman,ed harris,joan allen and paul sorvino
July 9, 2015
The story of Richard Nixon, focused on his years as President. Directed by Oliver Stone in one of his most realistic, historically accurate films, and with a tour de force performance by Anthony Hopkins as Nixon. With Joan Allen as Pat Nixon, and an all star cast playing all the President's men. Gripping, memorable, moving, and true-to-life.
½ July 5, 2015
Anthony Hopkins gives a legendary performance as everyone's favorite president. This is a good history lesson for those interested. Even if the events depicted are not entirely true.
June 29, 2015
Another one of Stone's didactic lectures. At 3 hours and ten minutes this self-important movie is an hour and forty minutes too long. The over-rated director directs over-rated lead actor.
June 14, 2015
A masterpiece with surprising empathy for Richard Nixon. This, Platoon and JFK are Stone's best films.
½ May 15, 2015
Some great performances, but it's dragged out way to much. It gets boring and outlives its welcome.