No - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Reviews

½ May 20, 2017
Enjoyable alternative to watching a documentary, a simple story well told of the power of the media.
½ May 5, 2017
Surprise, surprise! My third venture into the filmography of director Pablo Larrain is finally a successful one. While I certainly didn?t love No, it is a solid film that does some very inventive things. I appreciate the way they filmed the whole movie utilizing the exact same visual style as the TV spots that the characters were making. It made the movie feel like a time capsule from the past, and also made it feel like a documentary. The journey that Rene goes through in the movie is interesting, because it feels like he doesn?t even care about the vote at the outset, and by the end things have changed a lot. Even though the events of this film took place back in the 1980s, the themes seem to be applicable to this day. It is a fascinating look at how the media can influence politics, and I liked how the characters had different ideas of what it takes to make a campaign work. The movie is still somewhat slow, it repeats things multiple times, and there is a good amount of bland acting that turns me off completely. But considering how I felt about Tony Manero and Post Mortem, I?m just glad to have a movie by this director that I didn?t actively hate watching.
March 6, 2017
Gael Garcia Bernal is just amazing in it and while it's messy, there are so many beautiful scenes. I'm not sure why Pablo Larrain insists on shooting in this style as it can make it seem incoherent but it's still fascinating. The ending is fucking incredible.
½ February 28, 2017
Wonderfully designed movie around the 1988 Chilean Plebiscite, and very informative if you don't know much about this period in the countries history. What they do really well is the period grading of the film stock throughout, which certainly works alongside of the video footage from the time in question.
½ January 22, 2017
'88 ?ili'sinde, tüm kitle ileti?im araçlar?n?n bask?c? rejimin kontrolü alt?nda oldu?u bir ortamda tek adam yönetiminin devam?n? isteyen referandum için muhaliflerin yapt??? kampanyan?n ve kulland?klar? siyasal ileti?im yöntemlerinin ba?ar?s?n? konu ediyor.

?lginizi çektiyse size pazar sinemas? önerim olsun. (:
January 4, 2017
pro: watching the inner workings of how marketing changed the course of history
cons: acting, loose character endings, directing, film quality
October 2, 2016
The Pinochet regime, established with tanks, planes, violence, the CIA and Henry Kissinger, was ended by superior advertising. That's the message of this film, and while this is likely a superficial rendering of the events of 1988, it's certainly compelling and fascinating to watch. After 15 years of Pinochet rule, Rene Saavedra (Gael Garcia Bernal) understands that freedom is an abstraction to most Chileans, even when faced with the crimes of the regime. So freedom became the product in a modern, slick and cheeky advertising campaign. Voting "No" against the regime could only feel like rejection, with a future uncertain, and Saavedra understood that people prefer to vote for something, rather than just against. A hopeful, optimistic future.
Garcia Bernal is truly a cypher in this film. His expression rarely changes, and then only for a brief moment. During one triumphant scene, I kept waiting for him to smile, or register any sense of joy, but there was not much to see. The opposition leaders treated his ideas with disdain, and the regime threatened him and his son, so perhaps there was no comfort zone for him. His boss leads the TV campaign for the "Si!" vote, and they must still work together for their private clients, even as they exchange insults. The final scene is a mirror of the opening, which seemed out of place, considering the revolutionary upheaval that had just taken place. For the professional classes, did nothing really change?
½ February 4, 2016
An historical film about what the "NO" campaign meant and the creativity showed.
½ February 3, 2016
Probably my first Chilean movie, good plot and inspiring message. Yet I am not sure if the hand-held filming adds on the 80's like picture for a documentary style.
January 28, 2016
Dekada 70? Marcos era? How about Duterte?
This reminded me of what's important.
The Gandiman
½ December 27, 2015
In 1988, Chilean citizens ended the rule of Augusto Pinochet after Chile's voters get inspired by a peppy ad campaign designed by an unconventional ad executive named Rene (a committed Gael Garcia Bernal)

"NO" tells the story of the creation of that campaign by focusing on a message of hope and by doing that delivers a message of how humans are motivated by messages of hope vs messages of doom - a pretty timely message considering how mudslinging politics are today.

As a film, "NO" relies on too many cinematic tricks to lend it its authenticity which sometimes blunt its message. The characters, except for Garcia Bernal's, are quite stock. And it is doubtful that any non-Chilean viewer can appreciate the severity of Pinochet's rule.

"NO" is a good watch and is at times quite smart. But it's not the home run it thinks it is.
October 10, 2015
Es una lástima que una historia tan interesante la hayan desarrollado de forma tan descuidada. Me dejó con esa sensación que pudo ser mucho mas.
September 18, 2015
All the good acting of Garcia makes this very well written scrip even better!
½ September 15, 2015
Although the most interesting part of this was the genuine campaign broadcasts, I did feel it benefitted from not just being a documentary, as the process and arguments behind making them were brought to life. Having said that, GGM's central character was weakly drawn, and the peril to the No campaigners never felt real.
½ September 4, 2015
A fantastically political and dramatic film but also hugely entertaining with a cutting but humorous look at the relationship between media and society. This was different to what I expected and incredibly interesting.
½ August 3, 2015
No is an interesting chilean drama on the dictatorship of Pinochet
July 4, 2015
Never underestimate the power of media!! Of course, the makers sidelined the other efforts that too contributed equally, if not largely, in freeing Chile from Pinochet's dictatorship. The focus here is on the ad campaign, and to an extent, it's appealing. Loses steam towards the ending, though.
May 27, 2015
?? ??? ???? ?? ??? ?????? ?????
May 9, 2015
an academy-award nominated movie about the advertising industry AND about chile? how can i not give it five stars. (but seriously, its a tremendous film)