No - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Reviews

October 2, 2016
The Pinochet regime, established with tanks, planes, violence, the CIA and Henry Kissinger, was ended by superior advertising. That's the message of this film, and while this is likely a superficial rendering of the events of 1988, it's certainly compelling and fascinating to watch. After 15 years of Pinochet rule, Rene Saavedra (Gael Garcia Bernal) understands that freedom is an abstraction to most Chileans, even when faced with the crimes of the regime. So freedom became the product in a modern, slick and cheeky advertising campaign. Voting "No" against the regime could only feel like rejection, with a future uncertain, and Saavedra understood that people prefer to vote for something, rather than just against. A hopeful, optimistic future.
Garcia Bernal is truly a cypher in this film. His expression rarely changes, and then only for a brief moment. During one triumphant scene, I kept waiting for him to smile, or register any sense of joy, but there was not much to see. The opposition leaders treated his ideas with disdain, and the regime threatened him and his son, so perhaps there was no comfort zone for him. His boss leads the TV campaign for the "Si!" vote, and they must still work together for their private clients, even as they exchange insults. The final scene is a mirror of the opening, which seemed out of place, considering the revolutionary upheaval that had just taken place. For the professional classes, did nothing really change?
½ February 4, 2016
An historical film about what the "NO" campaign meant and the creativity showed.
½ February 3, 2016
Probably my first Chilean movie, good plot and inspiring message. Yet I am not sure if the hand-held filming adds on the 80's like picture for a documentary style.
January 28, 2016
Dekada 70? Marcos era? How about Duterte?
This reminded me of what's important.
The Gandiman
½ December 27, 2015
In 1988, Chilean citizens ended the rule of Augusto Pinochet after Chile's voters get inspired by a peppy ad campaign designed by an unconventional ad executive named Rene (a committed Gael Garcia Bernal)

"NO" tells the story of the creation of that campaign by focusing on a message of hope and by doing that delivers a message of how humans are motivated by messages of hope vs messages of doom - a pretty timely message considering how mudslinging politics are today.

As a film, "NO" relies on too many cinematic tricks to lend it its authenticity which sometimes blunt its message. The characters, except for Garcia Bernal's, are quite stock. And it is doubtful that any non-Chilean viewer can appreciate the severity of Pinochet's rule.

"NO" is a good watch and is at times quite smart. But it's not the home run it thinks it is.
October 10, 2015
Es una lástima que una historia tan interesante la hayan desarrollado de forma tan descuidada. Me dejó con esa sensación que pudo ser mucho mas.
September 18, 2015
All the good acting of Garcia makes this very well written scrip even better!
½ September 15, 2015
Although the most interesting part of this was the genuine campaign broadcasts, I did feel it benefitted from not just being a documentary, as the process and arguments behind making them were brought to life. Having said that, GGM's central character was weakly drawn, and the peril to the No campaigners never felt real.
½ September 4, 2015
A fantastically political and dramatic film but also hugely entertaining with a cutting but humorous look at the relationship between media and society. This was different to what I expected and incredibly interesting.
½ August 3, 2015
No is an interesting chilean drama on the dictatorship of Pinochet
July 4, 2015
Never underestimate the power of media!! Of course, the makers sidelined the other efforts that too contributed equally, if not largely, in freeing Chile from Pinochet's dictatorship. The focus here is on the ad campaign, and to an extent, it's appealing. Loses steam towards the ending, though.
May 27, 2015
?? ??? ???? ?? ??? ?????? ?????
May 9, 2015
an academy-award nominated movie about the advertising industry AND about chile? how can i not give it five stars. (but seriously, its a tremendous film)
April 22, 2015
I have to be honest with you, I love foreign movies but I haven't watched one in ages... How did this one fly past my radar? I will never know, especially since I was born in Chile & knew everything about this campaign when it happened. I was raised on news reports showing the riots of Chile, the stories of people tortured & the missing, (1000's of people were abducted & never heard from again during the time of the coup.)
Why should you watch this movie?
Well Chile has a very interesting history, it is the only country in the world to elect a Socialist government & the only one in the world to oust a dictator without bloodshed. This movie intertwines movie with actual footage of the 'No' campaign & news reports of the time. It does it seamlessly too, making it feel like a documentary, shedding light on how an Advertising Exec campaigned against a Dictators regime in true 80's fashion.
On a side note; one of the things that started this whole thing was the fact that Pinochet wanted to be called President Pinochet, not General Pinochet., & he had to face the fact that he wasn't elected in. Thinking he could win an election, succumbing to international pressure, he decided to put it to a vote. Silly Billy.
April 12, 2015
The visual style coudlve probably been developed a ton more, though it does help with the drama and the story nicely. The story is similar but different enough within the Chilean context and the films style to make it feel unique, and the pace and acting help to keep it all interesting until the grand finale.
½ March 7, 2015
Enjoyed this. Interesting subject but I did find it a little muddled.
February 26, 2015
a retelling of how Pinoche was ousted from office by a film marketing team that wanted a free Chile
February 26, 2015
Every bit worth each of the five stars. Everything from the conceptualization of the choreography to the sound to the video as well as the dialogue builds up an atmosphere of the time that is being filmed, 1988 in Chile. The drama and developments keep you at the edge of your seat till the very end as must have been the case for all of Chile awaiting the results of the referendum, all their hopes pinned on that fateful day in October 1988. Bravo, Pablo Larrain!
½ February 23, 2015
Buen film que narra la historia reciente chilena, mezcla en forma perfecta imágenes de archivo con la película.