Observe and Report Reviews

• Jan 22, 2020

This movie is funny and fun and a good performance by Seth rogan but it’s goofy and kinda dumb

• Jan 05, 2020

Incredibly bad script. Incredibly bad acting. I gave it 1/2 star because it has a great cast of comedians. They lost 4-1/2 stars because they didn't live up to their reputations in this movie.

• Jan 01, 2020

Amazingly dark and hilarious movie! Jody Hill is a genius. It's sad that a movie as terrible as Paul Blart: Mall Cop did better than this one. People need to expand their minds more.

• Oct 15, 2019

A dark comedy about how not everybody has the capability to achieve their dreams and how the denial to realize ones own lack can push people into being unstable in daily life. Filled with cringe worthy laughs that worry in the back of your mind cause you know people like these characters are all to real in our world. Not for the faint of heart this movie wont get lots of attention due to its odd story, but if you can look past the parts of head shaking awkwardness from the main character the movie delivers on a well written entertaining script following the delusions a mall security cop indulging in his twisted fantasy of being more than he is.

• Oct 03, 2019

"So, uh, I thought this was gonna be kinda funny but it's actually kinda sad." This line said by Detective Nichols in Observe and Report sums up the underlying feeling you get while watching this movie. It's described as a dark comedy and it delivers on both ends. I've heard about this movie for quite some time, I really love comedy movies but this one never really stuck out. I thought to give it a chance since a lot of my favorite actors are in it. Since I am a big fan of comedy movies i realized i should watch as many as I can because humor is very objective and I might enjoy what others don't consider funny. In summary Observe and Report (2009) follows Ronnie Barnhardt, a delusional mall cop that struggles with bipolar disorder, trying his best to protect the mall he loves. He's backed by a team of fellow mall cops who all desire the power from being an authority. His days consist of patrolling the mall, talking up his crush Brandi the makeup counter girl, and redeeming his free cups of coffee from Nell who seems admire Ronnie. His job is made harder when a serial flasher is on the loose and the mall has been robbed. When Detective Harrison arrives at the mall it inspires Barnhardt to pursue his dream to work on the force. The clash between Harrison's rude personality and Ronnie's narcissism causes conflict that put both parties in uncomfortable and funny situations. In my opinion the movie is really good, it's such a fun experience to follow a mundane job as a mall cop through the eyes of Ronnie. There are times you feel sorry for Ronnie because people around him treat him less than due to his mental illness affecting the way he acts around others. Ronnie is not an in your face underdog because he has so much confidence, that is also not over played. He's just a normal person doing what he loves. It is a Subtly diverse movie that doesn't play to stereotypes racial stereotypes. Dennis, Ronnie's right hand man, is a hispanic man that doesn't have a thick accent but a slur that never is never addressed in a joking manner. His character development is very interesting isn't so much on how he changes, but instead on what we learn about him. He was one of my favorites and the casting of Michel Peña was a great move because he knows how to be subtly funny. The Yuen twins are of Asian decent but the main focus of jokes it that they're are big gun enthusiasts and that they are expendable because as Ronnie states "god gave me another one". The movie doesn't ignore race as they make a joke about Ronnie racially profiling characters, Saddam and a Spanish speaking custodian, as the streaker despite the streaker being described as white and both characters being people of color. The interactions are handled by the movie in such a funny and lighthearted way it isn't conceived as a moment of hate. Many of the characters feel like they aren't acting at all, as if this is what they really act like. The only character I had an issue believing in is Brandi. Anna Farris plays heavily into the mean girl trope when it comes to her interactions with Ronnie, but all around she's not malicious to other characters. Brandi could have been developed to have a stronger character arch because how she is portrayed in the movie I became irritated by many of her actions. Overall i would give it a seventy five percent with plot and characters alone but the comedy is what brings it into the eighty percent margin. The comedy in the movie isn't over the top, a lot of the jokes feel like they could have been said by your friends. The interactions between characters naturally funny it makes the movie feel personal and not like it was made for mass audiences. Ronnie's bipolar disorder is also handled very well, his character doesn't revolve around his disorder it's just a part of him. Seth Rogen was amazing for the roll because he never exaggerated Ronnie's bipolar disorder for laughs, it's just a reflection on how mental health should be part of the day to day. The idea of a disadvantaged mall cop trying to save the day might seem a little familiar. Paul Blart: Mall Cop has such an uncanny plot line that it may seem that Observe and Report must have taken some ideas from Paul Blart since it was released only months after. Contrary to popular belief Seth Rogen revealed in an interview that years later he found out a copy of Observe and Report landed in the wrong hands that caused the script to get ripped by Paul Blart. Both movies were did well at the box office, but it's obvious which movie had a greater success. There are so many variables at play that could have affected success. Paul Blart had a much bigger budget, about eight million more than Observe and Report. Also Paul Blart has a PG rating while Observe and Report had an R rating which limits the size of the audience. In 2009 I was eight years old so when two similar options are given to me I took the one that was aimed toward me. After years of watching Paul Blart and it's sequel I recommend Observe and Report instead.

• Sep 24, 2019

I enjoyed the film.. mostly because of Seth Rogen and Ray Liotta.

I enjoyed the film.. mostly because of Seth Rogen and Ray Liotta.

• Sep 17, 2019

The fact that there was a rape scene that was barely acknowledged is really disturbing. Honestly I'm really disappointed because I really enjoy Seth Rogan and to see him in that light is really sickening. The humor was really off point and more gave a good perspective of what happens when someone is horribly disillusioned which instead of being funny is just plain sad. I wish I didn't watch this movie.

• Jul 20, 2019

Observe and Report brings the brash and smashes the norm while doing so. Some of the gags are spiked with venom and would cause a bit of a stir if released now. Seth Rogen is at his robust best. Observe and enjoy.

• Jun 25, 2019

Cruel, crude, and classist, what appears on screen is the mean misogynic narcissism of TAXI DRIVER without the saving grace of originality and poetry behind the camera.

• Jun 18, 2019

Horrible. Not funny, not charming, just awful. A literal date rape is depicted - is that supposed to be funny?