Octopussy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Octopussy Reviews

June 26, 2017
Nothing overly special and it can get goofy but you can still have fun with this film.

6.4/10
½ June 25, 2017
I'm a huge bond fan, but I can't stand this movie. Not only is it the worst, most idiotic Bond movie, but it's just a bad, bad film.
June 20, 2017
Roger Moore in a rather silly and odd James Bond movie. The action scenes in this movie are rather good. I like this movie myself. I think the director was poking fun at how dumb the Bond movie industry really is.
June 15, 2017
At the same time this films greatest and worst aspects are how much it digs into Bond's roots and core. It also manages to take Roger Moore's silliness and action scenes to whole new levels.
½ June 1, 2017
The last film attempted to be a more serious film, that wasn't necessarily misguided, but because it kept some of the Moore peculiarities it wasn't well executed enough to work. Fortunately there's no such attempt here, the plot is still feasible compared to earlier Moore films, but the trappings are among the most ridiculous of the franchise. Apart from the silliness none of the usual elements, the villains, Bond girls or drama is particularly stand-out (although the action is very good), yet because it embraces what it is, so can the audience; the result is a lot of fun.
½ May 28, 2017
...I saw Octopussy as my intro not only to Roger Moore as Bond...but to Bond PERIOD. Unmistakably noncompetition in that context, so sorry Sean Connery. This is my favorite Bond movie hands down...and favorite Bond Actor...
May 23, 2017
Why this film recieves the panning it does, I'm not sure. It essentially takes Cold War spy intrigue and dresses it up in an exotic Bollywood storyline. Yes, Moore spends some time at a circus in clown make-up, swings from jungle vines yelling like Tarzan and rides in a toy crocodile, but gimmicks aside... These liabilities never compromise the entertainment value of the film. It's a movie peppered with many death-defying action sequences styled for an Indiana Jones generation while not dispensing with the classic Bond style. It should be noted too that Moore's lighter touch and gifted comic timing made these films all the more enjoyable even if it did often make the dramatic situations less believable. It is good fun to see the exchanges between Bond and villain Khamal Khan (especially when they match wits in a casino over the film's McGuffin- a faberge egg stolen from the Russian royal family). Khan is played by Roger's counterpart from across the English Channel- '50s MGM pretty boy Louis Jordan who is one part menace, two parts sleaze- the perfect villainous cocktail in the mix. Elsewhere, we see the return of Maud Adams from Golden Gun who this time is the titular character. Steven Berkoff plays the megalomaniac General Orlov in an occasionally hammy way but with relish. The sacrificial lamb here is tennis star Vijay Armitraj who succumbs to a deadly, bladed yo-yo early on in the piece. The camp elements in the first half of Octopussy give way to a more serious second act set in East Germany.where after some spectacular fights on top of a moving train, Bond then has to urgently make his way to a US air force base to diffuse a bomb. This is one of the most tense situations in a Bond film and I attribute it Moore's acting. Although the scene is hindered somewhat by the fact that Bond is wearing circus clown make up, we invest in the sense of urgency he is expressing because it is uncharacteristic for his Bond to raise such a sweat. Consequently, we actually believe the worst may happen and we are pleasantly relieved when it doesn't. This is followed by Moore, and Moore and Moore as we are treated to Bond staging a raid on Khamal's palace in a hot-air balloon, pursuing him on horseback, grabbing onto his plane and holding for dear life in mid-air before fending off the villain, rescuing Octopussy by jumping to safety on the edge of a cliff and watching Khamal perish in the exploding plane below. How can you fault that as entertainment? I feel exhausted just talking about it!
May 16, 2017
When James starts wearing clown makeup in the last third act, that's the worst part.
April 18, 2017
This is the 13th James bound movie. I do not know why people do not like it. It is a great movie. It is better then the first 12 James bound movies. The first 12 movie of James bound are good this better. See it. The 14th part to the original James Bound series A view to a kill is a little better. This is a great film see it.
½ April 9, 2017
The thirteenth Bond film, and second of five directed by John Glen (For Your Eyes Only, A View to a Kill, The Living Daylights, and License to Kill).

When fanatical Soviet General Orlov (Steven Berkoff) devises a plan to detonate a nuclear bomb on a West German U.S. Air Force Base, by stealing valuable jewels from the Kremlin and selling them to aristocratic smuggler Kamal Kahn (Louis Jordan), which in turn will use his business partner, Octopussy's (Maud Adams) traveling circus to get the bomb onto the base, and blow it up, which would lead to the U.S. pulling it's forces out of Western Europe, and then the Soviets would be able to take over. 007 is sent in after 009 shows up dead at the British Embassy in East Germany holding a Faberge egg.

Roger Moore is starting to look a little old in this one, but at least this Bond Girl (Maud Adams) is roughly his age. Louis Jordan gives a wonderful performance as 007's top villian. And the locations are spectacular, they make India look like a wonderful place to visit.
½ March 2, 2017
Octopussy isn't the worst Bond film as it has a memorable setting and some amusing scenes, but it is still so bland and forgettable in plot, very weak in its characterization and just way too overwhelming and even silly in its action that it ended up being one of the lesser, more campy and ridiculous entries in the franchise.
February 17, 2017
Why this film recieves the panning it does, I don't know. It essentially mixes classic spying with an exotic Bollywood storyline. Yes, Moore spends some time at a circus in clown make-up, swings from jungle vines yelling like Tarzan and rides in a toy crocodile, but gimmicks aside... The liabilities never compromise the movie as sheer entertainment. It's a movie peppered with many death-defying action sequences styled for an Indiana Jones generation while not dispensing with the cold war intrigue. It should be noted too that Moore's lighter touch and gifted comic timing made these films all the more enjoyable even if it did make the dramatic situations less believable.
½ January 28, 2017
Octopussy offers little more than a provocative name and the cold hard truth that Roger Moore has overstayed his welcome as 007.
January 4, 2017
150314: 13th Bond Film. Does this film have the biggest budget ever for human stunts? Lot of action, especially during the last 30 minutes. Lots of pretty ladies. It seems this film was decent even if spoiled by a terrible title and at least one equally goofy scene; the Tarzan one.
½ November 20, 2016
Entertaining effort has bond tracking a jewel smuggler when another agent turns up dead with a forged Faberge egg listed in an upcoming auction. As usual, some impressive action scenes, particularly through the streets of India. For those that enjoyed Roger Moore's turn as Bond, this is one of his best.
November 19, 2016
Despite an understated performance from Louis Jourdan, Octopussy ranks among the weakest James Bond films.
½ November 16, 2016
As with A View to a Kill, Roger Moore is too old to be playing bond at this point. This entry also has some of the silliest moments including Tarzan vine swinging and clown, gorilla and crocodile disguises. Alas it's nearly impossible for a bond film to be truly awful as there are a number of fun action set pieces.
October 31, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: 'Octopussy' delicately, and rather excitingly sets up it's story really well thanks to plenty of exciting espionage elements and high stakes moments. It's rare when the first act is the most engaging, but it sure is here and this helps deliver one of the most exciting films of the Moore era. On top of that, the star delivers one of his less goofy appearances, which makes the whole thing even more enjoyable (though his age is really starting to become an issue...)
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's well done, but the plot is a little over-complicated overall, and it does lead to a fairly over the top and ridiculous ending that will probably have you disengaged by the time it's over.
VERDICT: 'Octopussy' is a whole lot better than it's name, and probably doesn't get enough credit because people just remember the OTT last act. It's good stuff, but it may have been time for Moore to go...
½ October 22, 2016
While it does fall back on many genre clichés - most which were created by the long-running franchise - Octopussy is above all else entertaining; and with the cheeky smirk and one-liners which Moore is so adept at after five previous films, all thought of cliché is totally gone within the first few minutes.
Verdict: B
½ October 16, 2016
Preposterous from start to finish, littered with too many gags, in-jokes and exaggerated performances - it's a movie that's hard to love but equally hard to hate. It is at least entertaining but seems to have difficulty deciding it's own tone at times. Occasionally serious, mostly silly but always fun.