Octopussy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Octopussy Reviews

½ July 26, 2016
3 out of 10:

These films are going downhill. Sure it has some good action scenes but it's getting repetitive and predictable. I hope one of the next films will cover the flaws with great action and plenty of cool characters.
July 24, 2016
The title says it all...
½ July 23, 2016
Roger Moore has grown on me. This movie is pretty fun and over the top. I still think these are too long. Defusing a bomb dressed as a clown was hilarious.
July 23, 2016
The most underrated Bond film ever made, Octopussy features the best action of the series, and is a great starting point for newcomers.
½ July 21, 2016
I don't really know how else to describe this movie other than 'boring'. The final act's camerawork and set-piece save it from being the WORST Bond movie...but it's still a boring one.

This is one of those PERFECT films to put on mid-afternoon when you feel like taking a sporadic nap.
July 19, 2016
Despite the mistimed goofy jokes, this is a much better Bond movie than people give credit to
84 out of 100
July 16, 2016
This has always been one of my favorites
½ June 15, 2016
An entertaining pre title sequence isn't enough to prevent Octopussy from ranking amongst the lowest of the James Bond films.
May 29, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: 'Octopussy' delicately, and rather excitingly sets up it's story really well thanks to plenty of exciting espionage moments and high stakes moments. It's rare when the first act is the most engaging, but it sure is here - all this helps deliver one of the most exciting build ups of the Moore era. On top of that, Moore delivers one of his less goofy appearances, which makes the whole thing even more enjoyable (though his age is really starting to become an issue...)
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's well done, but the plot is a little over-complicated overall, and does lead to a fairly over the top and ridiculous ending that will probably have you disengaged by the time it's over
VERDICT: 'Octopussy' is a whole lot better than it's name, and probably doesn't get enough credit because people just remember the OTT last act.
½ May 23, 2016
I must take issue with the mediocre reviews. This was one of Roger Moore's finest outings as James Bond. Reviewers at the time agreed to that, and having rewatched a bunch of them lately, I agree. Great action and humor, with no CGI.
April 17, 2016
Long and winding story has Agent 007 eventually thwarting a rogue Soviet General's plot to detonate an atomic bomb in Western Europe as a precursor to quick strike ground war victory over NATO forces. Standard Bond fare, a decent watch.
April 12, 2016
It's really good, I don't know how to explain it, it's silly and over the top, but somehow it all feels grounded and really full of tension, that kept me at the edge of my seat The part of the Train, The Circus and the Bomb, somehow was incredible, and the climax with the horse and the plane too.
April 1, 2016
a fun sunday afternoon movie easy to sit down and watch with some amazing action scene's
March 25, 2016
A great movie? Nah. A fun movie? You bet your ass. It never takes itself too seriously and manages to feature some of the more inventive, albeit silly, action sequences in the franchise.
½ March 21, 2016
Not one of Bonds best missions Octopussy is a real mess regarding the storyline. It starts off with some forged Jewellery a trip to India where Bond takes on an Indian prince, then the Soviets pop up with a plan to attack western Europe.
Bond then fights people in a circus in Germany before diffusing a nuclear bomb.
The whole thing is very long and jumps about all over the place..
½ March 20, 2016
Once you get past the cheesiness, this is a great movie
March 6, 2016
While certainly one of the goofier/dumber Rodger Moore Bond outings, Octopussy's madcap entertaining-at-all-costs mentality and narrative cohesion make it solidly diverting throughout.
February 22, 2016
Ocotpussy is hard on action sequences, which feels like it wants us to ignore Roger Moores age. It is very corky and unbelieveably stupid, but I find myself enjoying it every time I watch it.
February 20, 2016
Why Roger Moore got to make so many Bond films is beyond me, It has to be one of the worst Bonds ever, A plot that doesn't add up, Very little action and what action there was is ruined by stupid one liners or for example, Swinging from trees making a Tarzan noise, Dressing up as a clown or in a gorilla outfit, It's stupid And if I needed anymore reason to think Moore is the worst Bond ever Octopussy seals the deal.
½ February 10, 2016
No one can argue that this is a great Bond film. It does not, like Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, Casino Royale or even The Spy Who Loved Me, argue for the series as a whole. Its appeal is insular: it needs to be viewed as a Bond film, not a film film. As that, it's really quite entertaining. Moore has no particular business playing Bond at this point, but he doesn't seem to care much and his sense of fun is infectious. There's the gorgeous Maud Adams, radiating cool intelligence and leading a wildly entertaining band of kick ass ninja gymnast chicks, like Pussy Galore on steroids. There are moments of pure silliness, but they are somehow loser, funnier, and more forgivable than the stiff slapstick of earlier Moore outings like The Man With the Golden Gun or Moonraker. There are some great action sequences, including the compound siege by Octopussy's scantily clad minions and a fun stunt double-fest on top of a plane. And, of course, that yo-yo. There are low points of course. A cringe-inducing Tarzan yell. Some ethnic stereotypes. Moore in a clown suit, though, in his defense, the man still manages to convey nail-biting urgency even under grease paint. Overall, Octopussy is light fun that knows exactly what it's doing. The movie is no one's, uh, all time high, but it should be a pleasure for Bond fans who understand that camp is part of the series's appeal.