Pal Joey Reviews

• Aug 11, 2020

I loved this film--I cannot lie! I loved the "old-fashioned" values depicted in a different time than now. Even though at the end, it appears that Kim Novak's character is "throwing herself after" Frank's character, I thought it was a great film with great songs--and great acting. I've always been a big fan of "Ol' Blue Eyes" and Kim Novak (admiring her also, for her willingness to stand up to her old Columbia Pictures boss regarding her friendship with Sammy Davis, Jr.) I also liked that at the ending, Rita Hayworth's character showed some remorse for her jealous behavior--and took the "high road"--by obviously informing Frank Sinatra's character--Joey--of Ms. English's interest in him. It made her a more likable and human "villain." The only thing I would say--I wish the dream sequence had been longer! It was so good!

• Aug 06, 2020

Great Rogers and Hart music! Sinatra at his singing and acting best. Rita Haworth still glamorous at thirty eight. Was never a big Kim Novak fan but plays the role of a "good girl" very well. Well worth your investment of time.

• Jul 20, 2020

It eventually becomes melodramatic despite the strong performances.

It eventually becomes melodramatic despite the strong performances.

• May 22, 2020

A predictable, anesthetized plot bolstered by great songs and the star power of Hayworth, Novak, and Sinatra. The studio magic makes San Francisco look like a land of dreams. Loved the dog.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Mar 25, 2019

Like a lot of musical adaptations of the mid 20th century, the filmmakers attempted to completely rewrite the source material but ended up with something barely coherent.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best musical movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: My Funny Valentine!

• Mar 15, 2018

I'm lukewarm on Frank Sinatra's acting ability, but this is the perfect role for him. He does a great job both being charming and borderline inappropriate. The plot reminds me of An American in Paris, with the guy stuck between the rich woman who is financing him and the young girl who he's in love with. There are some great songs here (The Lady is a Tramp, Bewitched). It sputters a bit toward the end but still a solid '50s musical.

• Jan 06, 2018

Frank Sinatra gives a quintessential performance in this sanitized version of the Broadway musical; Rita Hayworth and Kim Novak (both with dubbed singing voices) play the love interests; great Rodgers & Hart tunes include "I Could Write a Book," "The Lady Is a Tramp," and "My Funny Valentine."

• Jun 21, 2016

This was a fairly entertaining musical with a lot of Star Power in Sinatra, Hayworth and Novak. I am generally not into musicals, but this was a light easy watch that costs on the performances of its stars. Worth a watch if you like the classics.

• Jun 17, 2016

Fun but sort of slow movie from 1957, Frank Sinatra's greatest year by far. It's a gas to see Frank at his height, and it's no sore point that Kim Novak and Rita Hayworth are his supporting broads. The Technicolor is fabulous, and the songs are Rodgers/Hart (need I say more?). If you're a fan of the fifties at its most opulently colorful and swingin', don't miss Sinatra in top form here.