Pal Joey Reviews

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Mar 25, 2019

Like a lot of musical adaptations of the mid 20th century, the filmmakers attempted to completely rewrite the source material but ended up with something barely coherent.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best musical movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: My Funny Valentine!

• Mar 15, 2018

I'm lukewarm on Frank Sinatra's acting ability, but this is the perfect role for him. He does a great job both being charming and borderline inappropriate. The plot reminds me of An American in Paris, with the guy stuck between the rich woman who is financing him and the young girl who he's in love with. There are some great songs here (The Lady is a Tramp, Bewitched). It sputters a bit toward the end but still a solid '50s musical.

• Jan 06, 2018

Frank Sinatra gives a quintessential performance in this sanitized version of the Broadway musical; Rita Hayworth and Kim Novak (both with dubbed singing voices) play the love interests; great Rodgers & Hart tunes include "I Could Write a Book," "The Lady Is a Tramp," and "My Funny Valentine."

• Jun 21, 2016

This was a fairly entertaining musical with a lot of Star Power in Sinatra, Hayworth and Novak. I am generally not into musicals, but this was a light easy watch that costs on the performances of its stars. Worth a watch if you like the classics.

• Jun 17, 2016

Fun but sort of slow movie from 1957, Frank Sinatra's greatest year by far. It's a gas to see Frank at his height, and it's no sore point that Kim Novak and Rita Hayworth are his supporting broads. The Technicolor is fabulous, and the songs are Rodgers/Hart (need I say more?). If you're a fan of the fifties at its most opulently colorful and swingin', don't miss Sinatra in top form here.

• Dec 30, 2015

Legs not tonsils. Joey Evans is renowned in the entertainment industry as a womanizer more interested in getting girls than being successful. He talks his way into a job with a ruthless owner that is a bit like him and a wholesome show girl from a small town that wants nothing to do with him. The wholesome girl shows him the error of his ways, but the old Joey loves the club owner while the slowly transforming Joey loves the wholesome girl. Which girl will Joey chose, or will Joey leave the club industry all together to find himself? "I'm helping her with her arrangement." "She already looks well arranged to me." George Sidney, director of Anchors Away, Viva Las Vegas, Annie Get Your Gun, Bye Bye Birdie, The Swinger, Show Boat, Key to the Boat, and Free and Easy, delivers Pal Joey. The storyline for this is very well told with dynamic characters and situations and wonderful character development. The acting is outstanding and the cast includes Frank Sinatra, Rita Hayworth, Kim Novack, and Barbara Nichols. "You sure you're not one of those sex fiends?" "Me? No. But I'm not against it." There was recently numerous Sinatra films added to Netflix and I had to add them all to my wish list. This was one of my favorite Sinatra films (top 5) and displayed great character evolution. It is nearly perfect and definitely worth a viewing. I strongly recommend seeing this at least once. "You treat a dame like a lady and a lady like a dame." Grade: A

• Dec 05, 2015

Not too bad, but they drew it out too much. They could have cut 30 min and been fine.

• Nov 02, 2015

Sinatra plays Sinatra, albeit a watered-down version who is down on his luck. There's several great reasons to see this film, but most notably Kim Novak, who was one of the most beautiful women to ever grace the silver screen, and the Roders and Hart soundtrack featuring such jazz standards as I Didn't Know What Time It Was, I Could Write A Book, Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered, The Lady Is A Tramp, and My Funny Valentine. WARNING: 1950s sexism is rampant in this film, you can roll your eyes and wonder how we as a culture could have been like that, or you can get upset and then you'll hate the whole movie. Take my advice, and just look at it as "it is what it was, and I'm glad we learned better."

• Oct 15, 2015

"That's what I like. Champagne that fights back."

"That's what I like. Champagne that fights back."