Paper Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paper Heart Reviews

September 4, 2015
NOT for everyone. Some people will find this so twee they're liable to fly into a rage upon viewing. I have a very sensitive "twee" meter myself, so I know when something is precious and adorable to the point of being sickening. Luckily this is NOT a twee overload. I found Charlyne Yi to be a most enchanting and heartwarming personality, but there was no "acting" or "pretending" about it. Even though this is purported to be semi-fictional, you sense that this aspect of herself is true, as it comes so naturally. I have never been a fan of Michael Cera, but here I found him funny and charming, the perfect compliment to Yi. Plus the various people from all walks of life regaling us with their tales of romance is something you just have to hear, as they're all fascinating, funny, and touching stories (brought to life by Yi's puppetry and animation.) I like this film a lot, and if you're willing to try something different, you might find yourself rewarded with an indy film that's more fun than fatuous.
April 3, 2015
Same ole Michael Cera. He is super adorable so he gets a pass for playing the same character in everything he does.
½ June 24, 2014
Some parts are real and some parts are not? I got really confused. Perhaps not my kind of film... too confusing. I did like the artsy doll figures recreating past memories. Nice job there.
Best quote: Yi: "What is true love?"
" You need to take someone to Applebee's and get them hot-wings".
January 5, 2014
Paper Heart. Think about the meanings of those two words.
'Paper' - a substance both versatile and frail, eternally renowned but so fragile, so easy to completely destroy at the turn of a hand. And yet through paper, mankind has documented, dramatised, mocked, and passed on their judgements and insights and world-shattering views - or even fleeting thoughts that may not, at first glance, seem to mean much, for millennia.
'Heart' - once thought of to be the source of all emotion, all thought, all life. Now rendered obsolete in all but the latter. Once a symbol of love, the heart has been commercialised to an extent that it now carries little meaning when it presents itself in popular culture. The heart is our most vital muscle, yet it is also very weak, and very communicative. It beats when we laugh, when we cry. When you write an irate review of a film that you don't like for reasons you don't care for, to take up time that you don't value - your heart beats in agony. When I write a review of a film that I regard as beautiful - my heart beats as I sigh in the knowledge that it seems to be more fun to judge words upon their length and aesthetic quality than upon what they mean.
Your Valentine's Day card was made of paper, and it probably contained a picture of a heart.
You may have gathered, by now, that I thought highly of 'Paper Heart'. I think that it was beautifully awkward and insightful depiction of humans who dare to question concepts that are universally accepted.
To me, it was not 'indie'. Nor was it a mockudocudrama. It was, to me, a stream of thoughts and emotions, bound together much as you would see a chain of paper hearts.
I loved the fact that it was neither 'real' or 'imaginary'. I loved the fact that there was no distinguishing between whether you were seeing people acting, or people living. Because I don't watch films to 'escape reality'. I watch films because humans are fascinating creatures: whether they were born, or created. I watch films to enhance my reality. To me, I couldn't give a flying fuck whether Charlyne Yi and Michael Cera were 'actually' "in a relationship" - what matters is their story. What matters is that you see humans; you see lives; you see love. You do not see gossip.
Perhaps you find this annoying. Perhaps you think that characters should be either 'real' or 'fictional'. Perhaps you think that your lead characters should be pretty and handsome and articulate about their emotions. Perhaps you watch films because life is too interesting and you need formulaic parables to make you forget the complexities that weigh down your heart. But then perhaps you should go back to watching 'Grease' or 'Mamma Mia' or another faceless, nameless film from a box covered with glossy pictures of Jennifer Anniston, and stop hating Paper Heart.
Because in the time you spend slagging off Charlyne Yi's body or demeanour or 'unladylike' facial structure, another film about love has been made. Another person has been hurt, broken.
Another couple have gotten married, some more divorced.
Another baby has been born into a world where people give up precious moments to be hateful towards one another for no apparent reason.
That baby, too, will grow up to have their words judged upon sight, and their meaning discarded.
That baby may too, grow to write venomous reviews of films that they don't understand.
Or perhaps, just perhaps....that baby will look at people and see beauty. Not glasses, or awkwardness, or pointlessness. Not long words, not short words, but words. Perhaps this hypothetical baby (yes, they may not be 'real') will grow into a person who actually cannot be fucked to go out of their way to attempt to make people feel bad about themselves.
Does calling Charlyne Yi 'ugly' or Michael Cera 'geeky', or really put anything in perspective, or make you feel anything positive?
Bitchiness can be insanely fun - everyone is a bitch, and we should be proud of this. But being condescending? Why? If you don't love this film - keep NOT loving it! You are entirely within rights to hate something, and to be really pissed off with how it presents itself. Just don't be bitter.
Yes, hate it if you must. But don't go out of your way to fuck with someone's dreams.
This film is totally harmless, even if you find it annoying. So actually, if you don't like it - is it really worthy of your hatred?
January 4, 2014
Poorly acted mockumentary starring Michael Cera and crew.
December 5, 2013
The interview segments are quite good, and I appreciated that they took their subjects seriously and didn't make fun of them for easy laughs. Basically, the non-fiction portion is enjoyable for its sincerity, but the fiction part is surprisingly (or perhaps not) insipid, despite my appreciation of Michael Cera, and I felt like the inconsequential nature of it tended to cheapen the really sweet and funny interviews. The kids in the playground are fucking hilarious.
October 5, 2013
A film about finding your self-confidence and showing that love is what you make of it.
Charlyne Yi and Michael Cera both deliver true and genuine performances in this well thought out love story with a twist.
Enjoyed every second of it.
Absolutely brilliant and well done flick.
½ August 30, 2013
What is love? It entirely depends on who youâ(TM)re asking.
June 25, 2013
great story but so boring its not worth the time.
½ June 21, 2013
A pleasant blend of quirkiness and honesty. The documentary portion is extremely relatable and perfectly fits into our cynical world, right up until the tongue-in-cheek finale which proves that Charlyne is still skeptical, viewing love as a fantasy, helping the story avoid a sugary happy-go-lucky cop-out ending. The fictional love story aspects add a nice throughline. Probably one of the most honest love stories I've ever seen.
June 14, 2013
Yi is desert stranded trying to figure out the meaning of "love". Michael Cera is the farthest from the answer.
½ June 1, 2013
You get to see Michael Cera and Charlyne Yi on camera a lot. Plus Martin Star is in it for a moment. At least it's better than I'm Still Here.
May 24, 2013
Wow. Such an original story. Such original characters. So unexpected. *roll eyes*
½ April 13, 2013
I literally couldn't get through this. Considering that, I don't know if it's my place to put a review. I got 30 minutes in, and I just stopped. I took the movie out of my DVD player and stopped watching. It was boring! I'm a huge sucker for awkward love in movies, and even in real life, but this is just too much. It stopped being awkward after 5 minutes and started being stupid. I hate it. I've seen hundreds of movies, and this one is simply awful. Do not watch it, it isn't worth it at all.
April 7, 2013
The film's immaculate execution stops me from giving it any lower of a rating, yet I cannot bring myself to believe that the mockumentary approach was what the story truly needed. The orchestrated ending alone makes me question the rest of this movie's sincerity.
April 3, 2013
I couldn't concentrate on this dumb movie. All I noticed was how ugly Charlyne Li is.
March 23, 2013
How will you know if he/she is your TRUE LOVE? I dont know technically im single you know my ex wife and I got divorced. My one true love is not the one I end up with because she was with someone else at that time.You see, your one true love may not be the one you will end up with because thats in my case thats what I thought so, but you know when im in the point of dying I saw my ex wifes and I keep on going until I save my life, and after that i called my ex wife and she said she was thinkin about me, so maybe the one I think whos my true love maybe not be the one, because when Iam about to die its my ex wife that I saw, maybe or maybe she is the one, she is my one true love.
½ March 18, 2013
"Just as good as Bob's Burger's"
½ February 24, 2013
Awkward, as I expected it to be. But very cute. Another reminder that love isn't perfectly packaged.
½ January 30, 2013
It was a really cute movie. Really smart and original.