Paprika - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paprika Reviews

March 25, 2017
The final part of the film went beyond all my expectation. The story is fresh and innovative.
½ January 23, 2017
Satoshi Kon submerges the viewer in the dream world of Paprika through it´s visually stunning and colourful animation, portraying a surreal picture of the human psyche that is constantly thrilling and a wonder to be immersed in; even if the main narrative functions mainly just as a pretext to get there.
January 19, 2017
?????? ?? Inseption, ????? ? ???? ?????
November 30, 2016
Paprika did the dream within a dream before Inception made it popular.
November 22, 2016
Modern anime masterpiece.
November 11, 2016
Mind blowing joy ride! If you want to start watching anime and don't know where to start - this is your choice.
September 10, 2016
This is a unique visual masterpiece. Satoshi Kon, we miss you.
½ July 14, 2016
If you like Hayao Miyazaki's animated films, then you should definitely check out the works of Satoshi Kun if you haven't already.

You may notice some similarities between "Paprika" (2006) and Christopher Nolan's "Inception" (2010).......
½ July 5, 2016
A Japanese middle child between "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "Inception", a foreign mother to the much clearer latter, it's logic-free that makes it strange as much as it's confusing with a wonder how it was even written and structured when the animation done most of the showcasing for the film's standing. This left the titular adventurous protagonist as our guide throughout the overall impressive, mind-boggling, Ghibli-replicated vision that's worth a watch, to see how much you get for how long. (B)

(Full review TBD)
½ June 14, 2016
a very strange, surreal, and mind bending film. it won't be to everyone's taste but this just entranced me throughout the whole thing. the tale of therapy of going into others dreams by a machine sounds out there but it works. the visuals and animation is great. definitely worth a check.
½ June 6, 2016
i recommend to just enjoy the spectacle that unfolds, the plot might not be the greatest, even characters may be rather simple but that's not what's needed to enjoy this movie. this was one of my best movie experiences and i think most of the dream sequences are great
May 28, 2016
Weird but in a good way. I liked it a lot.
½ May 24, 2016
Na tradição das longas-metragens de animação nipónica, "Paprika" é belo, complexo e transcendente, com visuais esplendorosos e talvez as melhores técnicas de edição que os meus olhos já viram, sendo também uma clara inspiração de Christopher Nolan na criação de "Inception - A Origem". A última obra de Satoshi Kon é prova de que enquanto os estúdios de animação americanos teimam em abraçar o conforto de fórmulas mais do que gastas, os filmes de animação japoneses almejam as estrelas e continuam a desafiar a preceção da audiência.
½ May 12, 2016
In this world a new technology developed at Chibaâ??s lab called a DC Mini, Paprika is able to jump into peopleâ??s dreams with the ease of a driver switching lanes. The dream machine allows her to see into the dreamersâ?? deepest thoughts by entering and analyzing their dreams, then using that information to resolve emotional and psychological issues. Even the inventors aren't sure of the true extent of the power of the DC Mini. Just imagine the world of good this kind of technology can doâ?¦ unless it falls into the wrong hands. A prototype DC Mini has been stolen, and Paprika is on the case. Itâ??s up to this dream detective to track down and stop the thief through the psychedelic backdrop of peopleâ??s dreams. Throughout the whole film this is not very interesting but with this strange way of the story telling. I find it all comfortable as for traditional animes as they are, Sony except the mantle of trying to beat out Disney. From the creators that brought you from Tokyo godfather which I truly admire from his true anime and storytelling. That's telling of the story is very confusing. This is really strange and that's why got lost. Good film to be invest in, really not my cuppa tea I'm buying on Blu-ray.

Grade
7/10
½ April 28, 2016
I'm still debating between 7 or 8. Could be because I don't entirely get it or it's just not AS good as I expected it to be but it is still a fine piece of art and very good.
April 11, 2016
May not entirely make sense, but it's hella creative and expertly animated. If only more movies dared to dream big as Paprika does.
March 11, 2016
The first time I saw this movie, I was kind of confused, as it didn't really seem to make a whole lot of sense. Then I realized it's suppose to not make any logically sense to us, it's just creating this new world with some great surreal imagery.

The visuals are probably some of the best in any of Satoshi Kon's work and I'd say definitely check this one out.
½ February 15, 2016
Man....it was one hell of a trip but it was amazing. Paprika is a mind bending sci-fi movies. It is one of those movies that needs to watch more than once to understand the idea and message of the movie. But still you cannot fully understand the whole thing because it is mind bending, unpredictable, and pretty complicated. There are a lot of things that I don't understand in this movie but I like it anyway. I love this movie.
½ December 6, 2015
This movie is like Inception took a whole lot of drugs.