Passion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Passion Reviews

½ April 22, 2019
DePalma attempts to ignite the thriller genre, but the film is not strong and suffers from style over substance. The thriller has some interesting parts and the casting is good. The storyline is weak and never capitalises on the strong female leads. The twists and turns are fun, even if they turn a little absurd towards the end. This is not a true DePalma erotic thriller which is his true filmmaking style. I wanted to love this film, but I can't defend what is a weak DePalma film. 15/04/2019
April 11, 2019
Also ich muss sagen ich hätte, trotz dass ich das Buch gelesen habe, mehr erwartet. Charaktere zu verändern ist eine dache aber den roten Faden zu durchtrennen, und neu zusammen zu setzen eine komplett andere. Nur wenige Sachen sind wie im Buch und selbst meine Freundin, die das Buch nicht gelesen hat, meinte, es sei nur eine zusammen wUerfelung verschiedener Szenen gewesen.
Schade!
Liebe das Buch und Anna Todd aber das war Mist.
½ March 22, 2019
A movie that is garbage nothing is redeemable and it is very convoluted
October 1, 2018
DePalma maybe modernising his own formula but doesn't entirely satisfy.
November 2, 2017
I've been a defender of Brian De Palma throughout his entire career, even at his most dark points like Bonfire of the Vanities, but Passion is abysmally unacceptable. He tries to "return to form," but just ends up ruining his signature techniques and attempting to conform to modern modus operandi, ending up with a very dumb, flat, ironically passionless piece of near-shit saved by a marginally effective second half, despite still containing emotionless, horrible acting from its two, generally talented leads.
½ October 22, 2017
Starts off fine then it turns into TV movie bad. A waste.
October 9, 2017
Firstly, I don't see why this film should be remade in the first place. The Hollywood ending makes it even worse.
June 19, 2017
All the DePalma staples are there, so it's good enough to keep you watching and guessing, with some great score, editing and cinematography. But it doesn't quite have the bite you'd normally expect from him. It feels more like someone imitating him.
August 1, 2016
Not as bad as some critics said it was but DePalma did seem to be using some of his old tried-and-true Hitchcock via Godard tricks. There is lust, deception, manipulation, and murder. Rachel McAdams plays an American executive in an international advertising firm heading up a branch office in a major Scandinavian city I am assuming is Oslo. McAdams manipulates and uses the more talented Noomi Rapace who in turn plots against McAdams. Its a solid thriller and very well acted by its principles but I was constantly reminded of Dressed To Kill, Sisters, Blow Out, and even Phantom Of The Paradise while I was watching. This wasn't too bad as I loved that period of DePalma film-making.
½ July 22, 2016
For the most part, this is a solid thriller whose technical brilliance (mainly the fantastic art direction, mise-en-scne, cinematography, editing and score) is no surprise for a Brian De Palma movie. It is just too bad though that the story collapses in such a ridiculous, incoherent end.
April 8, 2016
Distinctively Brian DePalma and somewhat old school from him. The story takes a while to get going, but gets interesting once the two leads are at loggerheads.
December 9, 2015
I thought this was quite good.
September 30, 2015
Brian De Palma's worst film is sharper than all the movies I watched this year.
½ September 5, 2015
Passion is a prime example as to why I have such a love for film. I love film so much because it's subjective. Film is like art. Art is also subjective. There could be this painting and I could think it's one of the most hideous and ugly paintings I had ever seen; then there could be someone else who thinks that same painting is stunning and beautiful. Many people think Passion is trash and a convoluted mess, while I think it's brilliant and polarizing. From the fantastic performances to the solid direction to the crisp cinematography; Passion is incredibly well made with an interesting premise that will keep you guessing from start to finish.

I'm not a Brian De Palma apologist. I've only seen a select few of his movies and I have yet to see Scarface. I don't love this movie simply because De Palma directed it, I love this movie because it's a well-executed compelling thriller.
½ September 4, 2015
This is a pitiful excuse for a film, especially from Brian De Palma who is a master of the craft. Everything about this movie was wrong, from the atrocious acting to the abysmal script. Every aspect of the film was cringeworthy. Every once in a while there was a well placed shot, and one particular sequence in the film involving a Ballet show was particularly well edited. But besides that, everything the film tried to do failed. This is the worst Brian De Palma film I've seen, and it makes me sad to see this film was even associated with him.

3/10.
½ August 20, 2015
Buenos ingredientes para una gran pelcula, pero el resultado dista mucho a lo que nos tiene acostumbrado DePalma, tiene algunas escenas de inters.
August 2, 2015
What happened to you De Palma?!
July 26, 2015
Noomi was performing quite good as a freaking weird woman again. Her likeness actually helped her as that role anyway. Story was ok but not perfect.
July 15, 2015
Whilst visually pleasing, the movie contains bad acting and a head-spinning plot.