Passion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Passion Reviews

September 4, 2016
Undercooked, devoid of any 'passion' at all. Ugh.
August 1, 2016
Not as bad as some critics said it was but DePalma did seem to be using some of his old tried-and-true Hitchcock via Godard tricks. There is lust, deception, manipulation, and murder. Rachel McAdams plays an American executive in an international advertising firm heading up a branch office in a major Scandinavian city I am assuming is Oslo. McAdams manipulates and uses the more talented Noomi Rapace who in turn plots against McAdams. Its a solid thriller and very well acted by its principles but I was constantly reminded of Dressed To Kill, Sisters, Blow Out, and even Phantom Of The Paradise while I was watching. This wasn't too bad as I loved that period of DePalma film-making.
½ July 22, 2016
For the most part, this is a solid thriller whose technical brilliance (mainly the fantastic art direction, mise-en-scène, cinematography, editing and score) is no surprise for a Brian De Palma movie. It is just too bad though that the story collapses in such a ridiculous, incoherent end.
April 8, 2016
Distinctively Brian DePalma and somewhat old school from him. The story takes a while to get going, but gets interesting once the two leads are at loggerheads.
December 9, 2015
I thought this was quite good.
September 30, 2015
Brian De Palma's worst film is sharper than all the movies I watched this year.
½ September 16, 2015
the first half isn't a de palma film, the camera angles don't create any suspense. To see De Palma's better work, seek out the earlier stuff. Snake Eyes was the man's big budget camera playtime. The second half is classic De Palma and I loved it so much. sadly by the end, it's just way too late.
½ September 5, 2015
Passion is a prime example as to why I have such a love for film. I love film so much because it's subjective. Film is like art. Art is also subjective. There could be this painting and I could think it's one of the most hideous and ugly paintings I had ever seen; then there could be someone else who thinks that same painting is stunning and beautiful. Many people think Passion is trash and a convoluted mess, while I think it's brilliant and polarizing. From the fantastic performances to the solid direction to the crisp cinematography; Passion is incredibly well made with an interesting premise that will keep you guessing from start to finish.

I'm not a Brian De Palma apologist. I've only seen a select few of his movies and I have yet to see Scarface. I don't love this movie simply because De Palma directed it, I love this movie because it's a well-executed compelling thriller.
½ September 4, 2015
This is a pitiful excuse for a film, especially from Brian De Palma who is a master of the craft. Everything about this movie was wrong, from the atrocious acting to the abysmal script. Every aspect of the film was cringeworthy. Every once in a while there was a well placed shot, and one particular sequence in the film involving a Ballet show was particularly well edited. But besides that, everything the film tried to do failed. This is the worst Brian De Palma film I've seen, and it makes me sad to see this film was even associated with him.

3/10.
½ August 20, 2015
Buenos ingredientes para una gran película, pero el resultado dista mucho a lo que nos tiene acostumbrado DePalma, tiene algunas escenas de interés.
August 2, 2015
What happened to you De Palma?!
July 26, 2015
Noomi was performing quite good as a freaking weird woman again. Her likeness actually helped her as that role anyway. Story was ok but not perfect.
July 15, 2015
Whilst visually pleasing, the movie contains bad acting and a head-spinning plot.
½ June 18, 2015
I couldn't even get through half of it...
½ June 8, 2015
Felt more like a cheesy 80's flick.
May 11, 2015
Psykologinen trilleri, tykkäsin. Häiriintynyt esimies, aika hyytävää...
May 3, 2015
F (15%) movie. Blue-ray Disc. A waste of time and money.
April 3, 2015
Passion is an interesting melting pot of disparate elements. There's a script that is positively Z-grade in quality, two lead actresses that are far more talented than the script that they elevate to artsy trash thanks to their performances, the visuals and direction are beautiful and stylish, the music is atmospheric, the sex and nudity are trashy more than artsy, it feels more like it belongs in the 1970's or 1980's, it's compelling, and it's also laugh-out-loud bad.

In short, Passion is a glorious mess of a film. It is both art and trash. It is both compelling and unintentionally hilarious. It's something to behold, something to admire, and something to be totally baffled by, with a strong possibility of absolutely hating it as you can see by the dismal reviews from critics and audiences. I love it. I loved this gloriously trashy, artsy, and stupid film in every element of its lurid, misguided insanity.

The plot focuses on two women: Christine and Isabelle who are higher-ups at an cell phone company. At first, the two get along fairly well with one another, until Isabelle comes up with an idea for a commercial that turns out to be a hit with other higher ups who want to show it internationally.

However, when discussing how ecstatic they are over the commercial, Christine ends up taking credit for the idea, which begins the fracture in their business relationship, which becomes exponentially worse when Isabelle sleeps with a man named Dirk, who is seeing Christine.

After the tryst, Christine does everything in her power to ruin Isabelle's life in any way she can, even doing shitty things like recording her when she's having sex, accusing her doing things falsely, and a number of other things, which eventually begins to drive Isabelle to a breaking point.

Soon, the lives of both women are turned upside down and the stakes are only increased with each passing stab at each other on their journey up the corporate ladder.

The story may sound pretty good on paper, but the execution is downright bad. It feels out of touch with the times, which is why at certain points it recalled something more from the 70's or 80's (There's even some 80's-style saxophone music at one point). The rivalry is certainly interesting, especially how the women up the ante at every chance they get, but it feels like it loses its dramatic flair in the wake of trashy sex and implausible scenarios.

The weirdness and absurdity also diminishes most of the dramatic and thriller elements as the plot only seems to increase the amount of stupidity any chance it gets as it progresses, like how poor Isabelle seems to be surrounded almost entirely by crazy people, including some who have sexual tension for her, which includes Christine and Isabelle's secretary, Dani.

I was also frustrated by the fact that I wanted to know more about these women in general, to make them seem more human, rather than being simply catty towards one another with a series of sex scenes and nudity jammed in place of character development.

However, as a trashy rivalry film filled with sex, nudity, sexual tension, lurid drama, and more, the story is entertaining on a trash level, but not on a deeper level.

The acting is sort of a mixed bag. I loved the performances by Noomi Rapace and Rachel McAdams who were easily the best performers in the film. Noomi Rapace was more sympathetic and more developed between the two characters, but even with such a hokey script, she does a pretty good job and upgraded the script to greater heights with her terrific performance.

Rachel McAdams seems to realize just how wacky this film is, but she embraces the absurdity with bravura. She gave a perfect bitchy performance, with the right amount of campy-ness thrown in. I loved her character because she understands perfectly just how wacky everything is and immerses herself in the role of the narcissistic, manipulative, and sexy Christine.

The rest of the performances are frankly not worth noting. It's the two leads that make the film.

The primary method of gleaning entertainment from this messy film is on a trashy level. It has its compelling moments of intrigue and two terrific performances, but it's not really workable as a thriller or a drama. However, for the lover of trash, there's plenty of sex, nudity, hokey dialogue, stylish visuals, and very nice music to complement the affair. It's a lot of fun to watch in that regard if you go in with the right mindset.

Passion is not something you'll probably like. It's clearly a film made by a director who is long past his prime and features a number of flaws. It will only be enjoyed by purveyors of trash and die hard Brian DePalma fans.

It's a great big mess, but it's a very entertaining and oddly fascinating mess of a film that is very ambitious. It's a terrifically flawed, terrifically stupid, sexy, stylish, and really fun film to me.